Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why was a guy credited as “Rorschach” in the credits?

There were some gag character names with “-schach” suffixes like “Mike-schach” or whatever (“Radio-schach” for the guy on the walkie talkie), but one was straight-up Rorschach.

Did I miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Leaving aside how it doesn't really work with the comic at all (Manhattan's time travel bullshit doing a Terminator, Adrian being so dumb in the show he let his entire asian staff in on the plan, then gave them all the weekend off or something and only noticed he killed three dudes, just stellar stuff) that ending doesn't even really work within the show?

Manhattan emphasizes how absolutely hellish it is to experience his life all at the same time and then goes "oh hey you're the person I love most in the world you should experience my horrific torment"? There's no reason he'd want that for anyone outside of absolute mystery box 'to be continued??? Maybe!?!?' bullshit.

Also putting stuff in the show then never addressing it again outside of an ARG website is actively hostile to your audience

To to respond to one of the many supercilious yet ultimately vapid posts in this thread:

Among other things, Angela actively choosing Manhattan powers differs from them being hoisted on someone. As much as Trieu was a narcissist, she also was right: Manhattan squandered his gift. There are reasons for this given in the comic, but one of the strengths of this series has been the implicit: "wait, really?" with respect to Manhattan in Vietnam.

Maybe someone who has more insight, who doesn't actively want the powers but who also didn't have them hoisted upon them through some freak accident will be capable of doing more.

Separately, y'all can't level the critique that the show is treating people like they're dumb while complaining that the Petey reveal was only confirmed through the website. It was obvious that Petey was Lubeman from the start. Who else could it have ever been? It's fun to give more color to it offscreen for people who wish he was in the last episode, but it's totally unnecessary. We know who he was.

Similarly, anyone who thinks there's any "to be continued" or "wait what happened" in the finale is a moron. She has powers now. If she didn't, large segments of the narrative we were shown wouldn't make sense. They, in fact, beat you over the head with it. Again, you can't both complain about the flashback and play dumb as though there's ambiguity.

Bushido Brown fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 16, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

garycoleisgod posted:

One thing I would have liked more on was when Trieu was saying she would destroy all nukes with Dr. M's power to Adrian, I was wondering why he didn't say that he calculated that even Dr. M wouldn't be able to get all of them, he just let it go. Surely she would gently caress that up given the opportunity? Maybe we were just supposed to know that, Adrian didn't need to say it.

Him not being able to take out all the Soviet nukes was in the context that they were all launched or launch-ready, if it just happened out of nowhere I think it’d probably be doable.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I just realized that the whole Mesmerizing subplot didn't have a real payoff. I was thinking that Will Reeves would step in and mind control Trieu to make him Dr. Manhattan, or something. But it was just the blinky flashlight that killed the sheriff?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Admittedly its possible her change of heart occurred in the show's wikipedia that 99% of the audience will never read

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LinYutang posted:

I just realized that the whole Mesmerizing subplot didn't have a real payoff. I was thinking that Will Reeves would step in and mind control Trieu to make him Dr. Manhattan, or something. But it was just the blinky flashlight that killed the sheriff?

Lindelof’s trick

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

We never even saw the finale of AHS.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Also I loved the almost fourth wall breaking moment when Veidt was like "so what, are you going to arrest the god drat president too??!"

and Laurie was like "well, yes actually."

FOX NEWS ALERT

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I liked when the cops showed up at the end, I was like oh yeah! This show was about cops for awhile! It was pretty good. Oh well, bye cops, maybe next time!

LinYutang posted:

I forgot about this too :laffo:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So did Louis Gossett just happen to live to a spry 105 and be unphased by boiling water naturally?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Also I loved the almost fourth wall breaking moment when Veidt was like "so what, are you going to arrest the god drat president too??!"

FOX NEWS ALERT

This explains a lot

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nooneofconsequence posted:

We never even saw the finale of AHS.

Hooded Justice hosed Captain Metropolis in the rear end some more

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Wolfsheim posted:

I liked when the cops showed up at the end, I was like oh yeah! This show was about cops for awhile! It was pretty good. Oh well, bye cops, maybe next time!

I liked how all our favorite cops survived after Veidt explained everything in a a 5 block radius would be destroyed and the squid were falling with enough velocity to punch a giant hole clean through someone's hand.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This explains a lot

Are we allowed to empty quote

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

barkbell posted:

ozymandias catches a bullet in the same episode he gets looney tunes clocked over the head with a wrench

Probably a little hazy from being frozen in carbonite for so long

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I liked how all our favorite cops survived after Veidt explained everything in a a 5 block radius would be destroyed and the squid were falling with enough velocity to punch a giant hole clean through someone's hand.

Lol this how the gently caress did any of them survive. Pretty sure that Russian guy was dead to rights but no I guess he was just ok!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Was Mama Trieu dead or just catatonic when we saw her last?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Asuron posted:

Just reading the synopsis of Doomsday Clock was enough to tell me your taste is awful. I actually didn’t think the movie could miss the point harder if it tried, but there you have Doomsday Clock ready to show it is somehow possible

Gotta love it when poo poo posters do your job for you. The guy just removed any benefit of the doubt I had already lent him.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gotta love it when poo poo posters do your job for you. The guy just removed any benefit of the doubt I had already lent him.

Which of the many monologues was your favorite in this episode

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Pretty disappointed, definitely feels like two different shows pre and post Manhattan reveal.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This show is what happens when a decently bright college student writes an essay with a good thesis but doesn't outline it or make multiple drafts so it's overall pretty well composed but just sort of drifts off topic at the end.

The worst crime is it failing to 'get' the comic just like every other piece of media thats ever been written in the watchmen universe.

The second worst crime is the completely garbage 'our audience is morons' editing. The exact same plot without that trash editing would've been much more enjoyable.

That said I still liked it overall and episodes 1-6 were a hell of a ride and 7-9 weren't exactly bad or anything, just kind of aimless.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What an unimaginative and boring ending, Jeremy Irons notwithstanding.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah I think the ending was just too much 'and then some stuff happened' without any of the stuff being about the characters or themes or meanings. It's just stuff. Like a bad Shyamalan twist.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I want to see a chronological cut of Jeremy Irons scenes, cutting out everything else. Just him meeting Trieu, getting sent to Europa, weird otherworldly shenanigans, and then escaping to foil the evil plan before getting knocked on the head by a complete stranger.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Agent355 posted:

Yeah I think the ending was just too much 'and then some stuff happened' without any of the stuff being about the characters or themes or meanings. It's just stuff. Like a bad Shyamalan twist.

I was just telling my friends it’s like he decided to make an ending completely opposite of the Leftovers and Lost, all plot resolution with everything else tertiary

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

This explains a lot

Are you going to go ahead and tell the rest of us what that is, or are you going to keep posting absolute jack and poo poo regarding actual content?

It might help your case if you give us an avenue to understand why you feel so offended by the show?

Otherwise feel free to gently caress right off from pretending you're somehow ~*above me*~ regarding what I did or didn't enjoy from this past episode.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Can’t say I liked the ending much. “Lol let’s cut before the answer to the mystery” already felt derivative to me when The Leftovers S3 finale did it and it feels even moreso here.

Oh well.

yeah, and obviously my favorite part of watchmen the comic is when Seymour picks up Rorschach's journal from the crank file, prints it in the New Frontiersman, and completely exposes Veidt for what he's done, and then he ends up facing justice

Caros
May 14, 2008

LinYutang posted:

It is such amazingly bad writing to include the mesmerizing tech as a plot point, while also including a super special Dr. Manhattan jail that is never explained beyond 'we made it out of synthetic lithium'. You have a Mcguffin that does the thing you want it to do, loving use that.

There are so many things about the early episodes of the show that make no sense at all in context now. Why the hell did Judd risk his life in order to shoot down a plane full of his own subordinate 7k in the first episode? Why did Keene Jr stage his own kidnapping with a live bomb at his friend's fueneral, something that nearly got him killed, when they were barely days away from turning him into god? Why did Trieu build a spaceship that could casually land on europa, but which crashed in the middle of a field near tulsa (assuming that was the point of the scene, otherwise, what the gently caress was that?). Why did they drop Angela's car directly in front of Laurie a couple of days later?

It really feels like they decided to write an interesting mystery story for the first half, got stuck and did three flashback episodes, and tacked on a 'and then they stole dr.manhattan's power with the glowing laser thing' ending while ignoring everything set up in the interesting first half. I shouldn't be this annoyed, but I am.

quote:

The second worst crime is the completely garbage 'our audience is morons' editing. The exact same plot without that trash editing would've been much more enjoyable.

Holy gently caress was this annoying, particularly in the finale. I sort of forgave it in the mirror guy episode, but once you get to the finale you don't need her grandfather talking about eggs, a flashback to the previous episode where he says watch the eggs, a flashback to him talking about how he could transfer his power to someone else with eggs, and her staring blankly at an egg for the viewer to get it. Jfc.

quote:

yeah, and obviously my favorite part of watchmen the comic is when Seymour picks up Rorschach's journal from the crank file, prints it in the New Frontiersman, and completely exposes Veidt for what he's done, and then he ends up facing justice

These aren't really comparable, though. With the journal there are a ton of lingering questions and possibilities that are implied by the tease that make it interesting. Does the person who gets the journal realize what they have. Is the evidence within it enough to be taken seriously, does the publication get picked up as credible, if so does veidt manage to spin it. Even if everything goes against him, what happens if the truth is revealed, was Veidt right? Or does the world keep spinning even though the truth is revealed and he goes to jail.

With Angela she either falls in the pool or has the powers of god. And only the latter makes sense given how much repetition of the point the show beat us over the head with. Now there is a continuing story there, I guess, but it doesn't give any meaningful additional context to the story that we just witnessed, and it isn't really a mystery. It is just cutting off because they don't know if they're going to bother continuing.

Caros fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 16, 2019

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Veidt getting clunked over the head loony tunes style followed by Laurie and Looking glass delivering some sassy one liners felt like a microcosm of how the entire show turned out, every promising thread dissolving into disposable marvel schlock.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Caros posted:

It is such amazingly bad writing to include the mesmerizing tech as a plot point, while also including a super special Dr. Manhattan jail that is never explained beyond 'we made it out of synthetic lithium'. You have a Mcguffin that does the thing you want it to do, loving use that.
Did they ever mention lithium disrupting his powers before? At least give lipservice to tachyons or something.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Are you going to go ahead and tell the rest of us what that is, or are you going to keep posting absolute jack and poo poo regarding actual content?

It might help your case if you give us an avenue to understand why you feel so offended by the show?

Otherwise feel free to gently caress right off from pretending you're somehow ~*above me*~ regarding what I did or didn't enjoy from this past episode.

did you also like the mini flash back at the end about the eggs

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

FOX NEWS ALERT
lol

Woulda been nice if back in 85 Dr M i.f. subtracted Rorschach instead of jellyfying him. At least it would have given Rorschach a chance to reassemble himself given a couple decades or centuries

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

DR M
END

Caros
May 14, 2008

Did they ever mention lithium disrupting his powers before? At least give lipservice to tachyons or something.

Not that I recall, though I'm probably not the best source right now given I'm sleepy af. The synthetic lithium was produced by him, so there is at least a connection between the two, but it is just so loving lazy. Having Manhattan vulnerable to the mind control device would be interesting since it gives him a humanizing weakness, something he is just as vulnerable to as anyone else. Hell it even gets rid of the dumb as poo poo 'they are going to take me, nothing can stop it, now watch as I stand here directly in front of this teleportation cannon' talking point.

Instead you have Angela go out shooting at the assholes, have him save her, and then they flick on the lights to hypnotize them both as soon as it is confirmed it is him.

You could even have a fun bit of risk involved, with them not knowing it was going to work. Then again, I'm just as annoyed at the fact that some fairly bumbfuck white supremacists working with stolen trieu stuff and melted down watch batteries were able to create a cage for Dr. Manhattan, simply because of how it reduces the character.

The best that the smartest man on earth was able to come up with to stop Manhattan was an intrinsic field subtractor that he was pretty sure wouldn't work but would hopefully buy some time. But the loving Y'all Qaeda managed to figure out how to teleport him in a cage directly against his will? I mean, did anti-manhattan tech jump forward a lot in the intervening years? For crying out loud, the only reason Veidt managed to get him in the subtractor was because he'd spent billions flooding the earth with Tachyons so that Manhattan couldn't see the future. But when it comes to Vanilla Isis he knows the attack is coming and still does gently caress all?

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Caros posted:

There are so many things about the early episodes of the show that make no sense at all in context now. Why the hell did Judd risk his life in order to shoot down a plane full of his own subordinate 7k in the first episode? Why did Keene Jr stage his own kidnapping with a live bomb at his friend's fueneral, something that nearly got him killed, when they were barely days away from turning him into god? Why did Trieu build a spaceship that could casually land on europa, but which crashed in the middle of a field near tulsa (assuming that was the point of the scene, otherwise, what the gently caress was that?). Why did they drop Angela's car directly in front of Laurie a couple of days later?

It really feels like they decided to write an interesting mystery story for the first half, got stuck and did three flashback episodes, and tacked on a 'and then they stole dr.manhattan's power with the glowing laser thing' ending while ignoring everything set up in the interesting first half. I shouldn't be this annoyed, but I am.

Holy gently caress was this annoying, particularly in the finale. I sort of forgave it in the mirror guy episode, but once you get to the finale you don't need her grandfather talking about eggs, a flashback to the previous episode where he says watch the eggs, a flashback to him talking about how he could transfer his power to someone else with eggs, and her staring blankly at an egg for the viewer to get it. Jfc.

These aren't really comparable, though. With the journal there are a ton of lingering questions and possibilities that are implied by the tease that make it interesting. Does the person who gets the journal realize what they have. Is the evidence within it enough to be taken seriously, does the publication get picked up as credible, if so does veidt manage to spin it. Even if everything goes against him, what happens if the truth is revealed, was Veidt right? Or does the world keep spinning even though the truth is revealed and he goes to jail.

With Angela she either falls in the pool or has the powers of god. And only the latter makes sense given how much repetition of the point the show beat us over the head with. Now there is a continuing story there, I guess, but it doesn't give any meaningful additional context to the story that we just witnessed, and it isn't really a mystery. It is just cutting off because they don't know if they're going to bother continuing.

I feel like a lot of the non-resolutions to the mysteries presented in the first couple episodes would have been like if in the original book The Comedian had actually killed himself at the beginning because he was depressed about something else, and then it all turned out to be a coincidence and Rorschach kinda stumbles accidentally into the Ozymandias plot.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Lol this how the gently caress did any of them survive. Pretty sure that Russian guy was dead to rights but no I guess he was just ok!

Not sure how falling squid puts a hole through Trieu's hands and the shower breaks the magic ball but it didn't kill any of the people around the area, or obliterate the Manhattan booth or the building with Reeves, etc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Servaetes posted:

Not sure how falling squid puts a hole through Trieu's hands and the shower breaks the magic ball but it didn't kill any of the people around the area, or obliterate the Manhattan booth or the building with Reeves, etc

Hailstorms happen every spring in Oklahoma. I guess not in Vietnam?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Caros posted:

I feel like your read misses the theme of the episode, which is about powerful people and what they do with that power. Veidt used his power on Europa to entertain himself, Trieu used her power to acquire more power, Keene used his power to amaze his lovely racist friends, and Laurie used her power to get closure on what happened in 1985.

So, at the end, you have Angela, who, you're right, 100% gets Manhattan's power. What does she do with it? Does she gently caress up in the way Manhattan hosed up? Does she use it to right the litany of wrongs that white supremacy and empire have wrought upon the world? Is the world better off for her presence, or should no one have that power? In a show that's been about people putting masks on and putting themselves in charge, it's the entire question.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ElNarez posted:

I feel like your read misses the theme of the episode, which is about powerful people and what they do with that power. Veidt used his power on Europa to entertain himself, Trieu used her power to acquire more power, Keene used his power to amaze his lovely racist friends, and Laurie used her power to get closure on what happened in 1985.

So, at the end, you have Angela, who, you're right, 100% gets Manhattan's power. What does she do with it? Does she gently caress up in the way Manhattan hosed up? Does she use it to right the litany of wrongs that white supremacy and empire have wrought upon the world? Is the world better off for her presence, or should no one have that power? In a show that's been about people putting masks on and putting themselves in charge, it's the entire question.

That doesn't really address the shittiness of that part of the ending though. I don't necessarily disagree with your reading, but if you're going to go with that sort of a reading, then you don't end the show wink wink, nudge nudge your audience going 'Does she have the power, does she not? Who knows, maybe you'll find out if we do another season.' You show some display of her power, and let the viewer's imagination go from there.

Moving it one step back from 'what does she do with her power' to 'does she have the power' weakens the theme you say the show is presenting, and it does so for nothing other than incredibly lovely sort of cliffhanger, one that doesn't even work because of course she has the power, anything else just means the show just spent its last five minutes jerking you around for no reason. And that is what is irritating, either the show was jerking me around for the last several minutes, or it spent its very last shot jerking me around with a false mystery. Either way is lovely writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

did you also like the mini flash back at the end about the eggs

I enjoyed the part where you revealed yourself to be a complete child.