Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’m so loving depressed these days I find myself thinking about suicide and it scares the hell out of me. Not thinking about doing it, not really, but I’m scared that if I don’t get better I might think about it more seriously.

II’m angry and depressed and anxious.

You ever read Matt Taibi’s The Divide? There’s an entire chapter about the stupidity and horror of nickel-and-diming people on benefits for peanuts while the rich keep getting away with millions.

Get help before you absolutely need it to stay alive. I let poo poo get so hosed up by the time i asked for help that i'm still struggling day to day with the thoughts despite my largest worries being assuaged. Long term stress like that is so bad for your health in so many ways. If i had asked for help when poo poo really hit the fan a few years ago i would have saved myself so much pain. I would hope quebec's social assistance is as strong as Alberta's, but when i finally asked for help, i was on income support before i left the hospital, and on disability before that ran out, although i have some significant health issues behind it. Income support and AISH both had provisions for emergency costs, although i don't imagine owing the system money would be covered.

If you start having serious thoughts of harming yourself, go to the hospital. I know it's unbelievably hard to do, as you're basically subjecting yourself entirely to their control, but there are so many people there who can help you, from doctors and nurses to social workers, and probably most importantly the other patients, who can guide you through the struggles based on what they've been through.

The world is pretty hosed up right now, but it's not going to get better if we let the people who hosed it up convince us it's not worth living in. To an individual, Canada has become harder to live in, but in general become a much better place over even the last 25 years.

If you're in a major city there should be a public mental health center you can call, and just say you need to talk to somebody, and they should be able to provide you some pretty strong guidance on help available to you, both from a mental health standpoint and from a social assistance standpoint. Please just don't sit there and let the stress eat at you until it's overwhelming. I let fear and anger take years of my life.

Not that you need something to drag you down further, but in a similar vein to Taibi's piece, there's a british miniseries called "Skint britain: Friends without benefits" which follows people who were on benefits when May's government tried combining all the various benefits programs to nickle and dime people to death in Hartlepool. there are 3 episodes you should be able to find in your local :filez: I don't know if a non-brit can sign up for this https://www.channel4.com/programmes/skint-britain-friends-without-benefits/episode-guide/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Desole MonsieurChoc that you have to put up with such bullshit :( Its good you recognize you need help now . Ain't nothing wrong with that

Maybe this will help make you laugh a bit...the most galactic brain take on Andrew Scheer's departure: "So much for the tolerant left!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’ve been getting help for a while, ever since I had a breakdown three years ago, but the Quebec healthcare system is getting slowly destroyed by liberals and I’m broke as gently caress.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/SaultOnline/status/1205841190521909248

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

yikes

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What? gently caress the CPC. If Singh gets in bed with them he's just as bad as them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What? gently caress the CPC. If Singh gets in bed with them he's just as bad as them.

uhh no the photo

That’s Harjit Sajjan not Jagmeet Singh

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'm not sure you've picked up on the, uh, salient features of that tweet.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

I'm not sure you've picked up on the, uh, salient features of that tweet.

im dumb

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

hahahaha

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I mean, of the people in this story who missed something in front of their eyes, I think you come out of this the best.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
That's a pretty impressive racist gently caress-up, those two look literally nothing alike.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

That's a pretty impressive racist gently caress-up, those two look literally nothing alike.

i mean how many Sikh MPs could there be?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The tweet is gone, what did i miss

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Powershift posted:

The tweet is gone, what did i miss

The photo for an article about Jagmeet Singh had a photo of Harjit Sajjan

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

priznat posted:

The photo for an article about Jagmeet Singh had a photo of Harjit Sajjan

lmao

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/michael_smit/status/1205950622677307392

wow. how do you gently caress up that badly

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’ve been getting help for a while, ever since I had a breakdown three years ago, but the Quebec healthcare system is getting slowly destroyed by liberals and I’m broke as gently caress.

That's good to hear, the help part, not the rest.

There will always be people willing to help, it's just going to get harder to find them. For your current problem, maybe try to get a human on the phone, keep hammering away until you get a human, keep hammering away until you get the right human. I don't know if you've been connected with a social worker, but they can be a powerful force to fight on your behalf, as they've often gone through it a hundred times. I'm paranoid about Kenney purging social assistance systems like Klein did, but i'm confident that i have some good people on my side to fight for me if need be.

As for finding work, maybe try casting a wider net? apply for jobs you have an aptitude for, but might not be entirely qualified for, the worst they could say is no, the best they could do is train you. I know how much anxiety can be tied to the fear of looking foolish but gently caress them if they chastise you for trying.

This isn't to say you haven't tried these things, just putting ideas out there with limited knowledge of your situation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Powershift posted:

That's good to hear, the help part, not the rest.

There will always be people willing to help, it's just going to get harder to find them. For your current problem, maybe try to get a human on the phone, keep hammering away until you get a human, keep hammering away until you get the right human. I don't know if you've been connected with a social worker, but they can be a powerful force to fight on your behalf, as they've often gone through it a hundred times. I'm paranoid about Kenney purging social assistance systems like Klein did, but i'm confident that i have some good people on my side to fight for me if need be.

As for finding work, maybe try casting a wider net? apply for jobs you have an aptitude for, but might not be entirely qualified for, the worst they could say is no, the best they could do is train you. I know how much anxiety can be tied to the fear of looking foolish but gently caress them if they chastise you for trying.

This isn't to say you haven't tried these things, just putting ideas out there with limited knowledge of your situation.

Thanks. I saw a social worker for a while, it was going well, but eventually had to stop. Apparently the previous liberal government put a maximum number of times they could see a patient.

As for job hunting, I'm applying everywhere I can in ym domain or vaguely related to my domain, which is computer janitor. I know there's jobs in the sector so I'll get something eventually, it's just hard right now for some reason.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.globalresearch.ca/canadas-corrupt-corporations-world-banks-corrupt-companies-blacklist-dominated-by-canada/5422924

SNC-Lavalin, the grift that keeps on grifting.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Finally Canada numba one

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

That list is amazing. We're #1 because the RCMP collaborated with the World bank to classify all of SNC's subsidiary companies as separate corporations to blacklist.

Out of 600 companies, 117 are from Canada, 115 of those are SNC and it's subsidiaries. So, it's more like 3.

Also, 600 companies? Really, World Bank? There's got to be more dummy corporations started between Russia and China every hour of the day.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

ya but snc lavalin is poo poo and needs to be buried in a hole anyway

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Canada isn't real

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

fibblins posted:

Canada isn't real

:hmmyes:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

fibblins posted:

Canada isn't real

It's the drunklen dream of John A. MacDonald.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the drunklen dream of John A. MacDonald.

that explains the racism i guess

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Canada literally started as a con perpretated by getting everyone extremely drunk on canadian champaign. Everyon on that pictur eof the canadian fathers of the Confederation are extremely hungover.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

canada started as a corporation that only existed to expropriate land from indigenous people through force and disease

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was, to that end, wildly successful

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

canada continues to exist to this day as a marketing ploy by resource-extracting landowners to justify the continued forced ownership of gas and mineral rights until every natural resource has been sucked dry and the land barren and wasted

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uh, we also buy and sell real estate

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:hfive:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Jun 20, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I made most of my money from that oil and I gotta say, good riddance

Those camps were really bad psychologically though but by the end they were at least getting really comfortable, the last camp I stayed in everyone had a double bed in their soundproof rooms and while a bit cramped due to the size of the bed it was more comfortable to sleep in than most hotels I've stayed in

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So was the entire oilsands thing just an experiment by Sauda Arabia to see if they could control the Canadian govt by holding an entire industry hostage via oil prices?:tinfoil:

Like 'hey real nice oil industry you built there.... shame if we were to lower our prices again again.... anyways, have any LAVs to sell us? we don't really plan on paying for them....'

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think it would be interesting to read some economic analysis/history on how we went from company towns to "fly people in and out every two weeks" because despite the negative associations of company towns re: company closing and town dying, fly-in, fly-out has a lot of issues too (not just carbon). Obviously there wasn't a choice at all before relatively recently, but I'm not sure it's actually cheaper on the surface... Assuming you could attract enough workers at all. Is this a story of preferring higher cost permacontractors over permanent employees for accounting reasons?

(Mines, of course, bus in people from the nearest minor outposts of civilization too.)

Does anyone know of anything along these lines?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

manitoba hydro had a company town at the pointe du bois dam that started in the 1900s because the only way to access the dam was rail line and they wanted to keep workers and their families there year-round instead of bringing them in temporarily. they extended the line to the slave falls and the town housed 400 people at it's peak. in the 1940s they built an all-season road to point du bois and slowly people moved out of the town to lac du bonnet because maintaining a town was expensive for hydro and they were basically letting it goto waste. they had a school, a rec center, social clubs, housing, apartments, sewer, water, etc.

it was just cheaper overall for them to have employees drive in from a town that was paying taxes an hour away then maintain a whole town for workers and their families. the last bits of the community were demolished in the two years and the only thing left is the abandoned school and the dam

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MonsieurChoc posted:

Canada literally started as a con perpretated by getting everyone extremely drunk on canadian champaign. Everyon on that pictur eof the canadian fathers of the Confederation are extremely hungover.

So, did D'Arcy McGee feel so hung over that he said "somebody shoot me and put me out of my misery"?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Will this be the beginning of the computer janitor revolution

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1206583524620455938

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez