Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm pretty sure Adam Driver was the only new cast member I knew of before Force Awakens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
For me it was probably Domnhall Gleeson, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac in that order.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(The 'official' explanation is that they wanted to keep the character completely under wraps until that episode aired so they didn't let Baby Yoda appear in any promotional material at all)

Mandrel posted:

its pretty obvious they didnt expect baby yoda to get this kind of mainstream hype. the story that they held off on merchandising to maintain the surprise is such obvious bullshit from a company and franchise that’s shown absolutely 0 restraint or regard for secrecy so far in their toys and merchandising

I just happened to walk through the toy section in a department store today and there's an absolute poo poo-ton of D-0 toys (the cute new droid from Rise of Skywalker) who was introduced to the world by J.J. Abrams way back in April as BB-8's new pal. Kids will love D-0!!! He's got that classic personality that reminds kids all over the world of one of their favourite characters from one of their favourite shows:

quote:

The two seem to have a sassy, Frasier (BB-8) and Niles (D-0) sort of relationship.
It can't fail!!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Everyone posted:

Boyega is likely to join Phillip Micheal Thomas in whatever-happened-to-that-guy Hell.

not a lot to unpack here

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

piL posted:

In my proposition, as a survival mechanism Baby Yoda carries with him a field of mind control that just wreaks havoc everywhere he goes. Hence why the viewer sees so much violence. I dont know what that range is but it's possible we never see the criminals outside of that range.

It works as a theory, since the only ones trying to immediately kill him were droids and a sniper too far away to be affected.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Everyone posted:

John Boyega is in (not starring in) something called Naked Singularity about a public defender in NYC. And is in one episode of a miniseries called Small Ax.

Woah I didn't know that, Naked Singularity is an incredible novel but probably just as impossible to turn into a film as like blood meridian or infinite jest

e: I looked it up, he's the main character

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I will shed no tears for John Boyega because he probably got paid like 10 million per movie so he’s absolutely a member of the 1% now and never has to work a day in his life. Millionaires can and should disappear into uncertainty, it’s ok. (Good God I hope he does something cool in the last flick, his plot line in TLJ was a huge bummer)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kill All Cops posted:

Next ep and latest ep are good, inbetween is kinda filler. Not entirely sure if my subjectiveness of good matches your tastes tho

This actually does help out! I may catch up on it at work during lunch but we’ll see.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I will shed no tears for John Boyega because he probably got paid like 10 million per movie so he’s absolutely a member of the 1% now and never has to work a day in his life. Millionaires can and should disappear into uncertainty, it’s ok. (Good God I hope he does something cool in the last flick, his plot line in TLJ was a huge bummer)

I wouldn't assume he got paid that much. He wasn't a big name when he was originally cast and that deal was probably for all three movies of the sequel trilogy. And they'll probably ditch him completely after this movie is done so there may be no second deal.

He's fine obviously, being a main player in Star Wars opens up tons of other money making opportunities.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Boyega just do attack the block 2 dude please

same

She was also good in that Maniac show for Netflix, even if I couldn't finish it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Daniel Craig was a pretty big name before he was in TFA

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I showed my brother the Bill Burr episode as his first taste of the Mando he loved it, I think it’s a great intro to the series if you’ve only got time for one episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a weird show that feels out of time - alien/mercenary/bounty hunter of the week structure, very little time spent on an overarching plot, doling out all character development extremely sparsely, operating primarily through clichés (this latest episode was just a straight version of the heist tropes that Rick & Morty parodied like three weeks ago), very light on writing and dialogue, completely disposable characters, etc.

But it's got a ton of style, looks great, is funny and charming, and captures the sort of wild space west atmosphere of the universe better than most other SW media since the original trilogy. It's also very quick and breezy which feels at odds with its clearly enormous budget, but somehow it all just works. Before this and Fallen Order I was plainly in the "Star Wars sucks rear end who gives a poo poo" camp and had no intention of seeing the new movie, and I still kinda don't care about that, but that's okay because there is Other Good Star Wars Stuff Now.

I love modern prestige TV which is essentially movie directors making 10 hour movies, but I'm absolutely adoring how The Mandalorian just gives an episode and that's it. No overwhelming cliffhangers, no big twists, just a great half hour each week of TV you can look forward to and enjoy watching.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's a shame this is gonna be off the air a while, if you're gonna behave like a serial Western you gotta give us 45' episodes a season

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Laterite posted:

I've liked every episode. It's the Star Wars version of Route 66 or Kung Fu. I'd love to see this go on for years.

That Forbes article criticizing it for not being a “prestige show” really just highlights the problems with a lot of those “prestige shows.”

Can you honestly name one other than Breaking Bad that was actually properly written and plotted out from start to finish? The Game of Thrones creators admitted after the fact that they had no idea what they were doing and letting the actors develop their own characters, and just farted out a lame ending. Lost quickly became convoluted and confusing. Walking Dead is still spinning its wheels, repeating the same formula with no end in sight as everyone wallows in gruesome misery. It turns out developing a good show that ties dozens of episodes into a complex narrative that keeps your interest for years is really hard.

This show actually reminds me of a less ensemble-focused Firefly and other 90s TV from when the idea of “prestige television” started existing. There’s an overarching plot and mystery (The Child) that appears in some form in each episode, but each episode is also a relatively self-contained experience with a different concept for each. It’s not ending every episode with more questions than answers, but is clearly leaving people alive with unfinished business so they can reappear.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Absolutely LMAO at the misconception that Breaking Bad was plotted out Start to Finish or even written that well, Jesse wasn’t even supposed to survive the first season.

Don’t get me wrong Breaking Bad is a high water mark for prestige drama and basically set the stage for prestige drama becoming the central focus of television, but that show was written sloppy as gently caress.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Don’t get me wrong Breaking Bad is a high water mark for prestige drama and basically set the stage for prestige drama becoming the central focus of television, but that show was written sloppy as gently caress.

That just makes it even more tragic that so many shows try to copy it.

Just make a show, and when writing it focus less on twists and turns and more on "what would these characters realistically do next".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Can you honestly name one other than Breaking Bad that was actually properly written and plotted out from start to finish?

Mad Men? Mr. Robot? Leftovers? The Americans? There are others, and several ongoing ones that I would put in this category, whatever, the end result matters 1000% more than whether or not the creators had a plan all along.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also as an aside I have very fond memories of Breaking Bad coming out and blowing up and all my UK/Euro friends didn’t get it because the premise of “a high school teacher gets cancer and basically just has to die because he cannot afford treatment” was still sort of alien to non-US citizens and the fundamental premise of the show doesn’t work in any other civilized country, lololol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bust Rodd posted:

Also as an aside I have very fond memories of Breaking Bad coming out and blowing up and all my UK/Euro friends didn’t get it because the premise of “a high school teacher gets cancer and basically just has to die because he cannot afford treatment” was still sort of alien to non-US citizens and the fundamental premise of the show doesn’t work in any other civilized country, lololol

They'll get it soon when they get The NHS 2.0: Brought to you by Anthem BCBS

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Reading all the negative comments about how nothing is happening and the plot being too slow to develop, I can't help but thing back to when season 1 of Agents of Shield aired and all the people dumping on the first dozen episodes. Sure, from a business standpoint it is a bit problematic if the early episodes of a show fail to retain interest, but in AoS' case the show was never outright bad, and only got better with each season, and those early episodes all returned to have major significance for the ongoing plot that developed.

Anyway, my own take-away from that experience was to never assume that early episodes being thing-of-the-week are an indicator of the show intending to remain that way, so as long as each episode in isolation is fun to watch, I don't mind if the show takes some time before it reveals the shape of an overarching plotline.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My take is I absolutely do not mind thing of the week. I miss it actually. Glad to see it back.

AoS problem wasn't thing of the week, it was that those first episodes were also pretty boring because they had yet to establish any antagonists and really had their hands tied as to what they could use

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 16, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Babylon 5 is pretty much the only show that I'll ever believe was actually plotted out before hand but even it had a ton of changes

The problem with mando is the leads have no charisma, partly because one is a puppet and he's the better of the two

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

nBSG was another heavily serialized "prestige" show that went way off the rails.

My only hope is that the last two eps are connected and advance the "main quest" a little, and that Moff Gideon is a cool antagonist, almost a given with the actor playing him.

BTW for those not in the know this week the ep drops Wednesday so as not to interfere with the film release Friday.

I will pray for the thread having to go 10 days between eps. By day 9 it's just going to be a pit of toxic and horney from which none can escape.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean I get it

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1206419349180801024?s=20

It also makes me think the next season is going to be way more plot-heavy and possibly involve jedi.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Mad Men? Mr. Robot? Leftovers? The Americans? There are others, and several ongoing ones that I would put in this category, whatever, the end result matters 1000% more than whether or not the creators had a plan all along.

Bates Motel

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean I get it

It also makes me think the next season is going to be way more plot-heavy and possibly involve jedi.

Probably. I know a lot in here will scream if it does, but I don’t think it would necessarily be a bad thing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Probably. I know a lot in here will scream if it does, but I don’t think it would necessarily be a bad thing.

The series has earned a lot of goodwill and if it's in the same hands if they do include a Glowstick Person I bet it will probably be handled in an interesting way we haven't really seen in live action: Completely centering the "mundane" protagonist and his reaction to the Force user as a foil or outsider.

I still think there's a chance that while the Mandos ultimately took him in ,it's actually a Jedi who saved him from Super Nintendo Droid opening his hidey bin.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The Expanse has been pretty good and the book series it's based on will be wrapped up before the show ends so hopefully that means it won't fall off a cliff

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just hope if we get a Jedi their fight scene is them clowning on Mando again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I just hope if we get a Jedi their fight scene is them clowning on Mando again.

Mando takes on an overconfident remnant inquisitor who throws him around with the Force until he's gasping and on the ropes then goes in for the kill stroke with his glowstick... only to learn just how tough Beskar is and get a face full of flamethrower.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Hakkesshu posted:

...and possibly involve jedi.

I will riot.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

What if it's not technically a Jedi?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah that's fine, I always wanted to see someone who was clumsily attuned to the force yet lacked any knowledge of it. (cough:hansolo:cough)

But we have Baby Yoda.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Or howabout a different Force tradition that has nothing to do with the Jedi? Land him on Dathomir.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In the first season of the WB’s Smallville, the director and the show runner gave an interview where they stated that their motto for the series as they saw it was “No flights, no tights” because they wanted the series stay grounded and keep the viewer empathizing with Clark despite him being a Demi-God.

In that vein, I really hope we never see a fuckin’ lightsaber in this show ever. Keep them out of my cool Mandalorian show.

If we ever did have to have a Jedi scene, I’d want it to come off as completely weird and otherworldly as possible. I want a Jedi Knight so benevolent and above it all and untouchable that it just doesn’t seem possible to kill them.

We get to see all the Star Wars movies from the perspective of the Jedi and they range from badass to whatever, but I think seeing a Jedi through the eyes of mere mortals would be a very Mandalorian take.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Chirrut Imwe was a G.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Historically would there even be Jedis at this point in time? Force users maybe but no one with any actual training or creed. Let's see a ship mechanic using telekinesis to hover tools to himself while being completely oblivious to whatever else he could do.

And there's got to be a black market of light sabers the popped up after so many Jedis got killed by Order 66. Give me some shithead backwater smuggler waving one around while also unable to block blaster shots with it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Chirrut Imwe was a G.

Yeah, actually on this note, give me Church of the Force or Guardians of the Whills in the series over a Jedi any day.

Hobo Clown posted:

Historically would there even be Jedis at this point in time?

Technically yes, functionally no probably. (Ezra [if he's still alive], Ahsoka [though left the order], Luke, Leia [kinda of]) With a few years of this series, Luke will start his academy and start taking in students. So we could theoretically bump into these Padawans to be before they get found by Luke.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean I get it

WHen has there ever been a famous and successful TV show about nothing