Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

That's exactly it. I got an incredible job a year and a half ago that essentially lets me buy whatever I want within reason.

Sorry for continuing this derail, but people in the Transformers thread are upset at someone having money to burn on stupid toys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Sorry for continuing this derail, but people in the Transformers thread are upset at someone having money to burn on stupid toys?

A person.

Lurdiak posted:

Buy me a car.

That is not within reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

A person.

They could have bought at least one dumb toy with the money they've spent on you

quote:

That is not within reason.

It is if it's a lovely car, buy Lurdiak a car that's older than you are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can buy him a car that turns into a robot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I've had my differences with him over the years, but I don't want him dead

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/disassemble/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

I've had my differences with him over the years, but I don't want him dead

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/disassemble/

That comic was my first thought too.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah I've been trying to keep abreast of every thread in here and I'm completely baffled by how mad one person is getting at Transformers stuff. There's not even any "thread drama" to speak of. It's incredibly chill. It's just post after post of people admiring each other's collections and giving gentle advice on how to find/fix stuff and the only difference between Rhyno's posts and anyone else's is that, arguably, he posts slightly more pictures and maybe he can splurge on pricier ones? It's astonishing that someone could work up that kind of sputtering anger over it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah I've been trying to keep abreast of every thread in here and I'm completely baffled by how mad one person is getting at Transformers stuff. There's not even any "thread drama" to speak of. It's incredibly chill. It's just post after post of people admiring each other's collections and giving gentle advice on how to find/fix stuff and the only difference between Rhyno's posts and anyone else's is that, arguably, he posts slightly more pictures and maybe he can splurge on pricier ones? It's astonishing that someone could work up that kind of sputtering anger over it.

Yeah, I've never seen Rhyno or anybody run down, say, people who only buy Hasbro stuff or whatever. I mean, there's absolutely places you can go to for that sort of thing but it doesn't happen in our thread.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

I was wondering what the hell could be happening in the Transformers thread that kept getting Rhyno weird misogynist red text.

Dawgstar posted:

No, that's just somebody super jealous that Rhyno has disposable income. Also super homophobic and misogynist and etc.

Oh jeez, I had no idea the red texts were coming from inside the forum. I thought someone from Automotive Insanity or another subforum was the one buying Rhyno all these terrible avatars.

Is someone really getting that angry (and homophobic) about Transformers toys? :(

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Imagine this dude making fun of anyone:

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1206337578573713409?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good lord, he's aged 25 years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He's only ten years older than me and he looks older than my parents.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Such is the corrupting power of the dark side. Also keeping stress internal can actually really gently caress you up so I’m not surprised if this ball of vitriol has gone all Palpatine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe I just need more coffee but idgi

Green Intern posted:

Such is the corrupting power of the dark side. Also keeping stress internal can actually really gently caress you up so I’m not surprised if this ball of vitriol has gone all Palpatine.

But he relieves stress all the time cutting the heads off toys...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Didn't he hilariously botch trying to do that with one series of Rose figures?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

That's only effective for so long before the unsub feels compelled to escalate.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

I humbly offer to take all your unwanted 3rd party (and 1st) toys. Donate to the poor and that red text buying person can no long call you greedy at least.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Ethan hates Immortal Hulk, Marvel's best book, because it dares to have a filthy minority talk ill of white men

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1211108328740446209?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was just wondering what racist bullshit Ethan was up to.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/mkgeiger1968/status/1210910312674811904

He's not been filling orders, that's for sure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anora posted:

He's not been filling orders, that's for sure.

I think even the Farms started dunking on him for that.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"Fulfillment Center"

Hasn't he posted numerous pictures showing that he's shipping these himself?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You think he can keep his lies straight?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Keep your politics out of my comics.

https://twitter.com/saturnineba/status/1211439890325540864?s=19

For someone who bites so hard off Jim Lee and Rob Liefeild style wise, EVS seems pretty unfamiliar with the work that originally made them famous .

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I hope those guys put return addresses on so Jack could go kick their asses

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm reminded of this letter in 1976 responding to Giant-Size X-Men:

Features 'have Colossus and Storm get married and leave the team to live in Africa' and 'have Nightcrawler die protecting the team.' QUITE ODDLY he's okay with Banshee in small doses and is just fine with Wolverine joining.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the Beast was blue at this point so his notion about Nightcrawler and secret identities makes little sense, but you know, racist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Still amazes me that people miss the point of freaking X-Men

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Still amazes me that people miss the point of freaking X-Men

It honestly didn't start as a metaphor for racism, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby just got a little tired of origin stories. Most of the progressivism of it really didn't start until Claremont.

I don't think there was any non white X-Men until Giant Size. When was Magneto first revealed to be a holocaust survivor?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Magneto being a Holocaust survivor was a Claremont invention and was revealed in a milestone issue. I think 150 maybe?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

It honestly didn't start as a metaphor for racism, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby just got a little tired of origin stories. Most of the progressivism of it really didn't start until Claremont.

I don't think there was any non white X-Men until Giant Size. When was Magneto first revealed to be a holocaust survivor?

Not a lot of non white anybody in those early days. If you wanted a black hero who showed up regularly, I hope you like the Falcon. Or Luke Cage. Both of whom live in Harlem.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

No origins was the original idea, but it was fleshed out more than that even under Lee. Even in the first issue. And definitely by the time the sentinels showed up. Lee used to constantly cite MLK/Malcom X as his inspiration for the Xavier/Magneto dichotomy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Not a lot of non white anybody in those early days. If you wanted a black hero who showed up regularly, I hope you like the Falcon. Or Luke Cage. Both of whom live in Harlem.

That just further proves what I was saying. Spider-Man was probably given more hate by random people than the X-Men when Stan Lee was writing both of them.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Lee used to constantly cite MLK/Malcom X as his inspiration for the Xavier/Magneto dichotomy.

Starting when? Stan Lee was a genius, but he also liked to revise his own history quite a bit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Starting when? Stan Lee was a genius, but he also liked to revise his own history quite a bit.

As long as I have been alive at least. And again, the entire concept of the characters is that they're born different than the norm and everyone hates them. The government, in like issue three, builds robots to kill them all. Just because Lee's stuff isn't as explicit doesn't mean it wasn't always there, later writers just picked up on it and made the subtext text. Also this "it was never like that when Lee did it" thing is literally something EVS argues, so maybe don't keep repeating bad faith comicsgate talking points?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Keep your politics out of my comics.

https://twitter.com/saturnineba/status/1211439890325540864?s=19

For someone who bites so hard off Jim Lee and Rob Liefeild style wise, EVS seems pretty unfamiliar with the work that originally made them famous .

It's still so weird that people think being gay is "learned." Like, people just never even thought about being attracted to their own gender until someone told them to.

But also lol at Spider-Man's "SHADOW SUPPORT" of gun control. Known gun-lover Spider-Man.

(Also oof calling Bishop "uppity" in that first letter that I otherwise thought was fun.)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Endless Mike posted:

It's still so weird that people think being gay is "learned." Like, people just never even thought about being attracted to their own gender until someone told them to.

Wait, it's not?

This changes my grad school plans entirely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

Magneto being a Holocaust survivor was a Claremont invention and was revealed in a milestone issue. I think 150 maybe?

Byrne hates that, by the by. Thought it makes Magneto too sympathetic and wanted him to just be a big super-villain, because nuance who. He also came up with a terrible retcon where in Magneto only thought that because Charles put the memories of a Holocaust survivor who died into his brain which I guess was Byrne's excuse for Magnus later teaching at the school and whatnot. So you get even more Xavier being a dick and Magneto living a lie! Win! Wait.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

My touchstone for this has always been the Fireside trades from the mid-1970s, which was from a period where Kirby and Ditko were both on the outs with Marvel and the narrative of "Stan Lee, Creator of the Marvel Universe (along with some artists, I guess) really started to get solidified.

The X-Men didn't rank inclusion into the 1974 Origins of Marvel Comics book, but they made the cut for Son of Origins a year later. For context, the first volume would have come out while X-Men was running out the clock printing bi-monthly reprint issues, and the one with the X-Men in it was probably getting put together parallel to Giant Size X-Men #1, but makes no reference to it or the new team.

The format of these trades (which I got as a hand-me-down as a kid and devoured) was each "origin" chapter was 1) A Stan Lee essay 2) a reprint of the characters' first appearance 3) a 'contemporary' issue, which was usually a few years old but would show the progress from (say) Amazing Fantasy #15 to a Romita-era College Spidey issue. There were a couple exceptions to this, as the X-Men don't get a 'contemporary' issue, just X-Men #1 and an essay. Here it is, complete with a reference to Women's Lib, but none to race.

The very next chapter's essay (Iron Man) opens up with:

quote:

Marvel Comics has never been very much into politics. Today, with more than a dozen writers scripting the largest line of comicbooks in the world, we still have no official party line -- I issue no editorial edicts as to what the political tone of our stories should be. Actually, most of our writers are young, idealistic, and passionately liberal. Some are a bit more reserved, a bit more middle-of-the-road. The same goes for our artists, who also contribute a great deal to the basic plotting and structure of our tales. They include every shade and facet of the political spectrum, and that's the way it should be. After all, the Marvel Bullpen is really America in microcosm, and I figure that, like our nation itself, we should be strong enough and wise enough to tolerate every type of ideology. The only philosophies that have no place at Marvel are those preaching war or bigotry.

Which then segues into what amounts to an apology for how the Vietnam War was handled in the early Iron Man comics. Racism comes up in another essay, when Lee selects Daredevil #47 as the "contemporary" issue, saying that racism is "one of the biggest problems which faces us today. I admit it... I was trying to really say something with this story." The Watcher essay also mentions that the character "points up<sic> a philosophical problem which seems to be facing our own nation today, namely the problem of whether or not those who have great strength should inferfere with the affairs of those who are weaker, no matter what their motives may be." In other essays he makes a lot of comparisons to "his" superheroes and the Bible, Shakespeare, Paddy Chayefsky, Rod Serling, Lovecraft, Asimov, Hemingway, etc. He's definitely not afraid to bring up topics like this, but he doesn't in the X-Men essay.

Which doesn't undercut the basic stupidity of "keep your politics out of my comics", since Lee does acknowledge the moral/philosophical/political bent of countless stories, he just never once mentions it about his run on the X-Men, particularly not in a juicy "Malcolm vs. Martin" soundbyte that never really came up in his run anyway that I recall.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, the MLK/Malcolm X stuff is retro-active, as E&C has very thoroughly detailed above. Which makes a lot of sense-- I'd have been extremely shocked if that analogy had existed in 1963, when King was at the height of organizing direct action campaigns which made white people of the time very uncomfortable, although not as uncomfortable as they'd been in a few years when he was agitating against the Vietnam War and against Northern racism.

The notion of Professor X as a direct analogue to Martin Luther King Jr. only really scans if one is referring to the secular saint version of King adopted by the popular imagination after his death, a sanitized and defanged version much more amenable to middle-class white views on race and change.

I always thought the X-Men comics, especially early on, are very muddled in terms of how they want to be read as a metaphor about difference, and that a lot of the salient points about racial or sexual marginalization are only legible from Claremont on, when the mutant population really begins to feel like a community embedded in a real world. Before then I think that if one were to read them in a vacuum without any expectations about the next half-century of comics the overwhelming thematic concern would appear to be youth vs. age, like Kirby's Forever People. It's about brilliant new young people displacing or usurping the established order, and whether they'll do so productively under the guiding hands of an older mentor (Professor X) or destructively under the bad influence of a scary radical (Magneto). I read the initial run as playing much more on anxieties about youth- and counter-culture stuff than at all coherent as being "about" race or civil rights. After all black people weren't a new invention of the atomic age! And if to a large extent the social visibility of queer people was changing seismically in the 50s and 60s I think it would be difficult to argue in good faith that the Lee and Thomas runs (and Drake and Freidrich) are about queerness in the way that Claremont's and Morrison's are.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Comicsgate always holds up 90s era Comics as a paragon of politics free comics so be sure to shove that X-Men letter in their faces as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When did the line about protecting a world that fears and hates them pop up for X-Men? I thought them being an "other" had been around from the get go.