Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Show should have cut out all the Dr Manhattan crap and just been a story about life in a post-Watchmen universe. Nothing with Manhattan made sense in respect to the first half of the season.

Also Inception (which was a good ending) ruined endings for so many shows and movies. Everyone thinks being ambiguous somehow makes it good.

And Angela should have smashed the egg because she wasn't a narcissist and wouldn't want that kind of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Show should have cut out all the Dr Manhattan crap and just been a story about life in a post-Watchmen universe. Nothing with Manhattan made sense in respect to the first half of the season.

Also Inception (which was a good ending) ruined endings for so many shows and movies. Everyone thinks being ambiguous somehow makes it good.

I felt the ending was about as unambiguous as you could possibly get without literally showing Angela standing on the water.

Niwrad posted:

And Angela should have smashed the egg because she wasn't a narcissist and wouldn't want that kind of power.

She's a vigilante cop. That's reason enough for why she might want Dr. Manhattan's power. Will even spells it out for her when she's looking at the egg and he tells her "he could have done more."

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 16, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This show should have never been a sequel or remix or related at all to Watchmen.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Thom and the Heads posted:

more! female! cops!

This is kind of at the heart of why the show not only doesn't work but really doesn't work in the context of our current 2019. It seemed problematic to show the cops as good guys versus the racist KKK as bad guys when IRL like at least a third of law enforcement are sympathetic to if not actual members of white supremacy groups, and in the show....outside of the police chief all the cops are generic good guys, and the white supremacists are kind of a joke.

Its not really a coincidence that the two best episodes of the show (HJ and LG) are about someone treating them as a legitimate threat and showing how someone could be turned to their cause.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

The Ninth Layer posted:

I felt the ending was about as unambiguous as you could possibly get without literally showing Angela standing on the water.

How did Dr Manhattan know that him walking on water was going to be important to Angela later on? He can only see his future, not other peoples. So if he died in the machine he would not have known that it would be important to her as it happened after his timeline would have ended. Unless he is still alive somehow.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It really isn’t a mystery. She’s got his powers now. It’s why he walked on the pool and told her it’d be important later. Ditto making a big deal of the egg both in the kitchen and when he was talking about how he would be able to pass on his powers. Just because they didn’t show her walking on water doesn’t mean it’s not answered.

But what if the Manhattan-egg was one of the broken ones and she just consumed a normal one?

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Show was okay. No reason to get all bent out of shape and make a bunch of posts about it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Also thinking about it Laurie randomly deciding to arrest Adrian at the end was dead-on; not because of character growth we didn't see happen, but because in the comic Laurie just passively goes along with whatever while complaining. Last time she was hanging around that base everyone wanted to keep the secret so she did, this time she was with a guy wanted to arrest Adrian so she did.

So congrats to Watchmen for getting one character from the comic right, even if it was only briefly

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

badjohny posted:

How did Dr Manhattan know that him walking on water was going to be important to Angela later on? He can only see his future, not other peoples. So if he died in the machine he would not have known that it would be important to her as it happened after his timeline would have ended. Unless he is still alive somehow.
The water isn't important, it's just a way for her to confirm things. What's important is that he sets up the egg for her, and he tells Will about it too which covers anything that might happen after he's gone.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I really enjoyed the show as a whole. I've read the comics, and currently re-reading them, and I still find the show entertaining and pretty well done. I even like how everything is couched as a direct sequel. Although my favorite element of the entire run was the retconning of Hooded Justice. I thought that was a great update to the character. Overall, I'm incredibly satisfied with the whole thing and thought the story arc flowed very well, and tied together better than I thought it ever would.

This is also the first time I haven't really wanted a season 2 since S1 of Stranger Things. I thought that season of TV was just about perfect, and didn't need more chapters. I feel the same with Watchmen.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My favorite nod to the original is how we spent 2 hours with Dr Manhattan and it gave the show cancer

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Remember when the white supremacist was listening to Future in the first episode and then got pulled over by the black cop in the same way a white cop would a black person irl

And then the black cop couldn’t unlock his gun in time because of liberal policies and he just got gunned down.

They totally dropped that and just gave everyone so many weapons.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Guy A. Person posted:

But she doesn't want to solve world hunger. She wants to turn people into dinosaurs herself into Doctor Manhattan.

The lesson we all learned is that monologuing is bad.

Keene needed to test his equipment first. Animal testing saves lives. Love his Dr Manhattan panties though.

Trieu, get swole first, impress tiger parents second.

Adrian, you dumb bastard, keep cops in front of you at all times.

Hooded Justice, plans but doesn’t talk. Winner.

Lube Man is silent, which is what makes him deadly.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Remember when the white supremacist was listening to Future in the first episode and then got pulled over by the black cop in the same way a white cop would a black person irl

And then the black cop couldn’t unlock his gun in time because of liberal policies and he just got gunned down.

They totally dropped that and just gave everyone so many weapons.

It owned that the entire beginning has nothing to do with the ending and was literally just Lindelof's actual belief that too-liberal a government would be just as bad as the white supremacists running the government just in different ways

It also owns that at the end of this episode HJ gives a confusing speech about how wounds can't heal under a mask when its like... bro....what do you think bandages are

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

This is kind of at the heart of why the show not only doesn't work but really doesn't work in the context of our current 2019. It seemed problematic to show the cops as good guys versus the racist KKK as bad guys when IRL like at least a third of law enforcement are sympathetic to if not actual members of white supremacy groups, and in the show....outside of the police chief all the cops are generic good guys, and the white supremacists are kind of a joke.

Its not really a coincidence that the two best episodes of the show (HJ and LG) are about someone treating them as a legitimate threat and showing how someone could be turned to their cause.

It also sets up what seemed to be some sort of reversal to our real world America where you have a black cop in a town where black people are the upper class beating the poo poo out of poor white "racists" in a trailer park that seem to be terrorized and interrogated constantly, but it turns out that that's not worth exploring at all. The fact that Angela is the one mask that gets to just be an unexamined badass is stupid.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Remember when Angela beat the poo poo out of the guy that was just interrogated in a Afghanistan/Iraq style blacksite?

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

This show should have never been a sequel or remix or related at all to Watchmen.

I too watch nine hours of something I think shouldn’t exist and then post incessantly about it.

Bad news, fellas. Watchmen is not actually a Bible or Holy Text. It is merely a very good book.

Perhaps you can all enlighten us as to how the show SHOULD have ended instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I too watch nine hours of something I think shouldn’t exist and then post incessantly about it.

Bad news, fellas. Watchmen is not actually a Bible or Holy Text. It is merely a very good book.

Show didn't solve world hunger, 0/10

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

This is the perfect way for the show to end for them: with a bunch of people split on the finale so they can do their weird little victory lap about being "correct" while still sniping at people who liked it (nothing was ever going to stop them from doing this in any case tho)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
That was really great. The big showdown was a little rough around the edges, but with so many balls in the air it makes sense they'd drop one or two. Very happy with the payoff.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

That’s right

quote:

Compared to this tv show, it sure is a holy text

quote:

The show should have never been made in the first place

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy A. Person posted:

This is the perfect way for the show to end for them: with a bunch of people split on the finale so they can do their weird little victory lap about being "correct" while still sniping at people who liked it (nothing was ever going to stop them from doing this in any case tho)

Yeah they definitely had a script for a show everybody would have loved but said "hey guys, I have a better idea, this will be super controversial, so lets do this instead! Half of everybody will hate it and that's great!"

:v:

Seriously y'all need to take off the tin foil hats. They did the best they could, and its a good show, better than most everything on television. I'm sorry you expected Watchmen to be better than any television show ever made, but it isn't.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously y'all need to take off the tin foil hats. They did the best they could, and its a good show, better than most everything on television. I'm sorry you expected Watchmen to be better than any television show ever made, but it isn't.

I disagree especially considering how one of the writers revealed he was very inspired by the actual best show to happen in the last few years (twin peaks the return) and then came up with this mess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I disagree especially considering how one of the writers revealed he was very inspired by the actual best show to happen in the last few years (twin peaks the return) and then came up with this mess.

You really thought Watchmen would be better than Twin Peaks?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I just expected the final 3 episodes to be as good as the first 6 and am genuinely dismayed they weren't. It's downright jarring to re-watch the early episodes now and know how many of those interesting hooks and themes go right out the window so they can drop a squid on the lady who won't forgive US War crimes and Angela can eat the egg

It's classic Lindelof to write a big check that your third act can't cash and I feel mislead by the posters of this thread who were adamant he had matured his craft. Don't tease themes of racial justice and All Kops Are Kavalry and multi generational trauma if it's not the story you're going to tell

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

You really thought Watchmen would be better than Twin Peaks?

Lol gently caress no but the moment the creators and writers of the show bring it up, then you can see that they actually believed they were doing something next level.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This thread is like that hothouse on Europa but instead of death stranding clones you find horrible takes on the show you can't find anywhere else, it's very bizarre. You guys were watching Watchmen on HBO, right, not some other, unrelated show

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just expected the final 3 episodes to be as good as the first 6 and am genuinely dismayed they weren't. It's downright jarring to re-watch the early episodes now and know how many of those interesting hooks and themes go right out the window so they can drop a squid on the lady who won't forgive US War crimes and Angela can eat the egg

It's classic Lindelof to write a big check that your third act can't cash and I feel mislead by the posters of this thread who were adamant he had matured his craft. Don't tease themes of racial justice and All Kops Are Kavalry and multi generational trauma if it's not the story you're going to tell

It's because the show is written by toothless liberals uninterested in structural critiques of power, which is strangely where it seemed like it was headed in the beginning.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Oooh, is this the hot take zone?

I thought it had some real problematic centrist bullshit and ultimately had nothing interesting to say, but was well made and entertaining enough, and will be largely forgotten in a year.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

zoux posted:

This thread is like that hothouse on Europa but instead of death stranding clones you find horrible takes on the show you can't find anywhere else, it's very bizarre. You guys were watching Watchmen on HBO, right, not some other, unrelated show

Dude what takes are you looking lol? TV recappers? You realize they’re all trying to get a job with Damon now right. That’s how the entertainment weekly guy was able to write on this show lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dude what takes are you looking lol? TV recappers? You realize they’re all trying to get a job with Damon now right. That’s how the entertainment weekly guy was able to write on this show lol

I see.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lol gently caress no but the moment the creators and writers of the show bring it up, then you can see that they actually believed they were doing something next level.

:lol:

This is some serious mental gymnastics goobusters

This is seriously like "I waited 6 years for this videogame and built up hype how dare this videogame not deliver!" levels of ridiculousness. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I do agree with the general sentiment that the racial stuff, culminating in the Hooded Justice episode, was the most intriguing part about the show, and I wish it had leaned more toward that.

It's interesting, I thought the HJ episode was the best of the season but a friend thought ep 8 with Manhattan was the best. Those were obviously two heavy focal point episodes so it seems if you liked the ep 8 better you might naturally like the finale a bit more, whereas if you liked 6 you might be disappointed in how that plot decelerated approaching the finale.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah they definitely had a script for a show everybody would have loved but said "hey guys, I have a better idea, this will be super controversial, so lets do this instead! Half of everybody will hate it and that's great!"

Lol I was talking about Goobusters perfect finale, in direct response to another post. Calm down and stop trying to fight everyone

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mulva posted:

Oooh, is this the hot take zone?

I thought it had some real problematic centrist bullshit and ultimately had nothing interesting to say, but was well made and entertaining enough, and will be largely forgotten in a year.

Given the overwhelmingly positive critic response I feel like that's unlikely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I do agree with the general sentiment that the racial stuff, culminating in the Hooded Justice episode, was the most intriguing part about the show, and I wish it had leaned more toward that.

It did!

The show ended by killing all the racist white folk, Will Reaves outlived them all, was even like "yeah Manhattan died but gently caress him he could have done more"

Then Angela gets his powers

Honestly what more do you want? They DID lean towards it! What were you expecting them to do in 60 minutes?

Going into that episode lots of y'all were like "they're gonna drop all the racial stuff in the finale" and then they DIDN'T and I was like "oh good, the thread will be happy"

What a mistake I made lmao

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone have a decently sized scan of the cover of vol 1 of the soundtrack lp? I can’t find one without the garish “vol 1” sticker on it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Vaporizing like 15 racist white people does not solve the systemic problem of racism and the institutions that support it. It's just hand waving it away for someone else to solve

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

:lol:

This is some serious mental gymnastics goobusters

This is seriously like "I waited 6 years for this videogame and built up hype how dare this videogame not deliver!" levels of ridiculousness. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

He literally got a job from Damon for his recaps and (always wrong) theories about Lost. Most reviews aren’t even reviews they’re just boring recaps and cataloguing Easter eggs.

E: this is the guy https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Jensen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harlock posted:

Vaporizing like 15 racist white people does not solve the systemic problem of racism and the institutions that support it. It's just hand waving it away for someone else to solve

Solving racism in 60 minutes would be extremely cheap no matter how you go about it. I'd like to read your script though if you've seriously got an idea for how that could be pulled off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

The show ended by killing all the racist white folk

bing bong so simple