Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i like the switch and intend to ruin games forever by making the default target for future games be a budget arm soc :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:rip: windows 10*

*mobile

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rip indeed, i unironically liked it a lot.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pc gamers had a majority 2-core processors, 4GB memory and 1366x768 displays just a couple of years ago acoording to steam hardware survey. now they at least are 1080p while consoles are doing checkerboard 4k on the livingroom tv

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

pc gamers had a majority 2-core processors, 4GB memory and 1366x768 displays just a couple of years ago acoording to steam hardware survey. now they at least are 1080p while consoles are doing checkerboard 4k on the livingroom tv

is this a serious post

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is this a serious post

in that it is restating the steam hardware survey, yeah, probably.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 13, 2019

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in that it is restating the stream hardware survey, yeah, probably.

the steam hardware survey from 2009?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
from like 2016 or 17 probably.

i was actually surprised when i looked at the results recently and the most popular resolution wasn't some cheap laptop screen anymore

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
too bad you can't see historical results anywhere afaik

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

the steam hardware survey from 2009?

nah, i think median cpu was 2-core and resolution <1080p through like 2016 or so? lot of low-end stuff out there.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

nah, i think median cpu was 2-core and resolution <1080p through like 2016 or so? lot of low-end stuff out there.

the wayback machine actually has a decent history and clearly i remembered the resolution wrong or i've been checking out the survey far less often than i thought.

looks like cheap lovely laptops have finally been dethroned though

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wheany posted:

the wayback machine actually has a decent history and clearly i remembered the resolution wrong or i've been checking out the survey far less often than i thought.

looks like cheap lovely laptops have finally been dethroned though

the unity hardware survey is probably still very skewed due to how much the engine is used for pay-to-win garbage and gambling machines in china

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
according to this:

16 gb of RAM is pretty common. 8 gb is the runner up.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
how do you even get like 13gb, what broken rear end computer possibly got that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

probably a weird rear end config where the video is on the mobo and some elite gamer set the bios to use 3GB of onboard memory as vram

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

according to this:

16 gb of RAM is pretty common. 8 gb is the runner up.

even in that, presumably recent, chart the median is 8 gigs though, so if you were to build a game ignoring consoles you'd likely still target 8 gigs at most.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

maybe they have a dual card setup where one has 8 gigs and the other has 5 :shepface:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

installed the 1909 update on my cheaop GAMING RIG and it broke the Rockstar game launcher and my RDR2 didn't work. reinstalled the launcher, logged out, etc. didn't work. uninstalled the beta feature update and it worked fine. thanks MS and all users testing that update, see you in June!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

4x4 with broken stick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

echi mate. build me a vr desktop shell that doesn't suck

will it require advanced file manipulation like copy and move

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

even in that, presumably recent, chart the median is 8 gigs though, so if you were to build a game ignoring consoles you'd likely still target 8 gigs at most.

yeah if you discount the fact that the 8gb on consoles are shared between cpu and gpu

just like our profiling and optimization work aim to fit our stuff inside of 30ms on the terrible console cpus (we dont even bother to ever profile on pc), our model and textures budget are also dictated by the consoles vram

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

will it require advanced file manipulation like copy and move

you can add it in a paid DLC, i just want to be able to do window management and poo poo in vr in a way that sucks less than vorpex or vrdesktop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo just download a script that moves and copies files inscrutably and make it run all the time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

co365s: apparently if you file a ticket for an operational bug in exchange online that they don't know how to fix, they'll just never assign an engineer to your case, presumably to help their metrics

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
office is bill gates portrait of Dorian gray

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

co365s: apparently if you file a ticket for an operational bug in exchange online that they don't know how to fix, they'll just never assign an engineer to your case, presumably to help their metrics

ah, we had reverse of this at one of my old jobs.

so, software developer bonuses were tied to average ticket turnaround time, from assignment to deployment into production. i think that’s a poo poo approach too, but ive seen worse

what was happening, however, was that the developers would “cleverly” misusing the lack of time tracking or resource management in the it org, and either wontfix your tickets or just rush some half baked broken fix to prod so they can close ticket and then work in untracked time that doesn’t go towards their bonus calculation to get it actually fix, sometimes spawning piles of tickets onto themselves to pad their stats further

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

perverse_incentives.odt

mystes
May 31, 2006

goodharts_law.xlsm

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is this a serious post

he's right. people who make "consoles are holding pc gaming back" posts are enthusiast trogolodytes who are in the 0.09% of nerds willing to spend $2k+ on a gaming machine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Amethyst posted:

he's right. people who make "consoles are holding pc gaming back" posts are enthusiast trogolodytes who are in the 0.09% of nerds willing to spend $2k+ on a gaming machine.

lomarf

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Good games should be playable on a range of hardware. If you are incapable of targetting the mid range that's your fault as a developer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually you mean it’s your right as a developer

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you can add it in a paid DLC, i just want to be able to do window management and poo poo in vr in a way that sucks less than vorpex or vrdesktop

just get a windows mixed reality headset so you can use every uwp program natively in vr

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, yes, the incredible library of UWP software at my fingertips

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait to use WinSCP in VR; transferring files is going to be amazing!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"this is a windows system. I know this!"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ah, yes, the incredible library of UWP software at my fingertips

the uwp something awful app works as well as can be expected for a joke 3-year abandoned app in vr, what else could you need?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why would you want to do anything in vr

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

because it's there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

why would you want to do anything in vr

because it's there

oh look it's a whole industry ostensibly worth billions and billions of dollars summed up in 2 sentence fragments