Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

RatHat posted:

I don’t understand where that money is even going

Crobbert's Cayman Islands bank account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

going on reddit is an experience

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Crobbert's Cayman Islands bank account.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Planet tech v4 lookin good!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Inacio posted:

I guess no one told them that MS Flight Simulator is going to have a 1:1 procedural recreation of earth, dynamic weather and complex flight mechanics.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

colonelwest posted:

I guess no one told them that MS Flight Simulator is going to have a 1:1 procedural recreation of earth, dynamic weather and complex flight mechanics.

but will the planes have fully simulated toilets for space making GBS threads?
didn't think so, non-believer.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Yea but can you walk around inside your airplane?!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Can you noclip through towers with it ?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Inacio posted:

At this pace of adding planets, we will terraform Mars before they'll add all those promised solar systems.

Also, BF4 came out in 2013...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

wit posted:

I did put a caveat in about click being softball, but was possibly 10,000 posts (10 days) ago.

Me too. I used to catch it regularly. It’s literally a channel for highlighting things that are ‘cool’, and don’t have a robustness for investigation. In fact, the BBC has suffered for the predations of the government, but click was always a soft promotions channel.

Chances are that it was entirely Lisle’s production as part of the totally organic movement Jade Starwatcher posited in the now famed post.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Dwesa posted:

At this pace of adding planets, we will terraform Mars before they'll add all those promised solar systems.

According to the comments it's actually a battlefield 3 screenshot, lol

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

This is so telling for all the citizens and their ideas of how modern games look and play. As the reddit poster even admits in the thread

quote:

Sorry, hahaha, I dont play many other games so I pulled from what I knew in the moment.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

SoftNum posted:

WHy is the sun all distorted and oblong?

whoa whoah whoah hold on there. Anything they do isn't really done. Tier 0 implementation LOLOLOLOLOL

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tier 0 motherfucker!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

SoftNum posted:

WHy is the sun all distorted and oblong?
Stellar physics including effects of stellar rotation and resulting equatorial bulge are already fidelitously simulated in this game.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

Chances are that it was entirely Lisle’s production as part of the totally organic movement Jade Starwatcher posited in the now famed post.

It’s almost funny how wrong you have it. There is a growing new guard due to a perfect storm. Fear of the new leads to salt. A game like this can not be successful based on old money and old salt alone.

i hope this clears things up. i am fairly certain that what we are witnessing isn't some co-ordinated marketing campaign. it's the result of years of game development and an influx of new blood.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

G0RF posted:

It’s almost funny how wrong you have it. There is a growing new guard due to a perfect storm. Fear of the new leads to salt. A game like this can not be successful based on old money and old salt alone.

i hope this clears things up. i am fairly certain that what we are witnessing isn't some co-ordinated marketing campaign. it's the result of years of game development and an influx of new blood.

Old blood and new money never mixes well.
There will be lots of turf wars.

I hope.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

i hope this clears things up.

Nope. I graphicked a graphic. Can you suggest other items to fill in to supply the relevant clarity?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

Nope. I graphicked a graphic. Can you suggest other items to fill in to supply the relevant clarity?

Jade says this needs a Z axis: “Fear”

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Hav posted:

Nice easy one to get us started

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Jade says this needs a Z axis: “Fear”

Speaking of that, can someone explain the chain from 'owning a bit coin' to 'paying off student debt'? I wasn't aware that there was an exfiltration step to actual cash from this lovely commodity.

Edit: note that this normally involves a 'barter' step, rather than something recognised as 'trade'.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Planetside Arena shutting down: https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/14/21021862/planetside-arena-shuts-down-servers-pc-steam-refunds

They probably didn't promise enough features and fidelity! Beginners! They even refunded their customers, hahaha!

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
loving leavers.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Planetside Arena shutting down: https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/14/21021862/planetside-arena-shuts-down-servers-pc-steam-refunds

They probably didn't promise enough features and fidelity! Beginners! They even refunded their customers, hahaha!

loving amateurs who don’t understand game development.

The pros sell pictures of art assets and make vague but sweeping promises of entire games worth of mechanics and content built around each one, then spend 8 years endlessly refactoring them and shoving them into a broken Crysis mod so that backers can take screenshots of them.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 16, 2019

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Inacio posted:

look at all that space ship gameplay

marumaru
May 20, 2013

these loading screens are too mindful of my limited free time

marumaru
May 20, 2013

starkebn posted:

look at all that space ship gameplay

there's a spaceship in the last one. checkmate non believer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I worked on an MMO in 2008 that could render planet-sized planets that looked just like this (there were also like 3-4 other teams building the same style engine, including one in France we temporarily optioned but decided it wouldn't work for our needs)

It took us like 4-5 months to build a proof of concept vertical slice engine that could render planets like this

We never finished the full MMO because it was too ambitious and the company collapsed

CIG has taken 6 years to get to this point
This is still basic, core, fundamental tech

Just lmao

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I worked on an MMO in 2008 that could render planet-sized planets that looked just like this (there were also like 3-4 other teams building the same style engine, including one in France we temporarily optioned but decided it wouldn't work for our needs)

It took us like 4-5 months to build a proof of concept vertical slice engine that could render planets like this

We never finished the full MMO because it was too ambitious and the company collapsed

Just lmao

Pffft, like you know anything about game development.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqRkQP-J_ek

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I backed this game.

Then I bought like 4 ships for about 800 total spent. One of them was a Scythe.

Out rapidly became clear this would be poo poo, but the GRAY MARKET was still going strong.

I sold that Scythe for $1600 to someone.

I stopped looking at anything related to this hilarious disaster until today posting now.

That is my Star Citizen story. THANK YOU, CHRIS ROBERTS.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Even if this game was good, how does anyone justify dropping hundreds of dollars on a space ship? That tells me something is fundamentally broken about the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Popete posted:

Even if this game was good, how does anyone justify dropping hundreds of dollars on a space ship? That tells me something is fundamentally broken about the game.

The game and the people. Yeah, none of the backers have considered the implications of the pricing model.

If ships cost hundreds of dollars, either A) it will take literal decades to earn ships in-game or B) people who spent hundreds of dollars will feel ripped off when people earn the same ship in 2 hours

There is no middle ground. The game is turbofucked by the worst greed and monetization the game industry has ever seen.

People were livid that Evolve had $100 of DLC on day-1. This game has like $40,000 DLC and we're still on day-0.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Just lmao

sorry this has NEVER been done before. NEVER!

what gets me is that it looks mediocre at best. it doesn't even actually look good. the best looking part of it is probably the atmospheric rendering.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Popete posted:

I believe the brain worms go about their lifecycle this way: Chris Roberts comes, hat in hand, to ask for free money to attempt to make a game. Publishers, all of them, collectively laugh him out of their offices. He then comes to the gaming public. The gaming public wonders - if his reputation is so great in the industry, funding should have been a slam dunk. But you don't understand, Chris says, those evil publishers (who evidently were not evil when he first asked them for money) are afraid of his vision, because the game he's making will be the best game ever made and the last one anyone will ever play. Ignoring the fact that, were this true, the publishers would have cut each other's throats to be attached this this project, neckbearded manchildren everywhere immediately glommed into the PC gaming revolution they were about to be a fundamental part of. The conspiracy theory of "plucky gaming hero from the past fixes the evils of an industry run amok fueled by the love and money of those who share his vision" was just too much for them.

For a lot of these miserable pricks, this will be the most meaning their lives have ever had, or could ever have; its illusory nature notwithstanding.

"So you're not really buying ships they say"
(Until someone takes the ships away)
But tithing a bit to help them build the dream
Of lust in the shadows and stimperial screams

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Zaphod42 posted:

Just lmao

Store Glitchitizens is a on a fundament of game development technology that is a decade old, and it is hilarious that the Cultists pretend that CIG develops anything „never done before“. It’s funny because they proof all their dreams can’t be done, it in the last 7 years, or in the next 7. Staggering Defailopement. These insane people of the sc reddit just ignore how big the gap is to actuall released games and especiallly the 2020 stuff with the new Xbox and PS5, with a 3000 Nvidia gen setting the gfx features, fps and Raytracing bars higher, again.
Some days ago the german shill Magazine Gamestar told us that Chris Mansionberts is working on 1000 player live battles with capital ships etc.
🤔
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reality: 50 player janky lagfests with hilarious bugs and glitches and CTD moments. In year 8. With bugs and technical problems from 2015.

This is good for Denial Citizen

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Does anyone remember when this was a space game with capital ships and boarding, and turning on life support on derelict vessels and getting enough systems back online to fly it back home and keep it?

Does anyone at this point? Because at one point that's all Star Citizen was. Now it seems to be that's all that Star Citizen isn't, mostly because they couldn't get any of it working.

So now we're doing bog-standard bullshit planetary maps because it's the only thing they can get sort of cobbled together. I smell the MVP on the horizon. gently caress it - SWG started only with planets, and patched in space later. Star Citizen will do that too!

I'm sorry you misunderstood what you pledged for when you gave your money to a career fraud. No refunds!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Just lmao

This poo poo is always so wild to me because people will be like "Oh my god the planets look amazing!" or compare them to a hand-crafted battlefield map or whatever, but like... nobody stops to think "Yeah okay but it has taken them 6 years, still doesn't look as good as a hand-crafted map, and doesn't actually add anything to the game." Not that CIG's hand-crafted maps have been great when we've seen them (lol Area 18) but think about how many of them they could have made in the time it has taken them to sort of figure out how to make a completely empty planet have some snowy mountains on it.

And that's before you even get to stuff like Dual Universe, which sacrifices a bit of photorealism for the ability to generate huge forests and player-built cities and poo poo.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

From my perspective, a few reasons:

CIG has tapped into a very specific mindset of ownership. The ships in SC aren't just an upgradable, disposable item you eventually earn like in other games, they are literally selling the dream of being Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon, or a billionaire on a yacht. Actually being in that space with a pride of ownership, like a car or truck. For many of us our vehicles are a means to an end, they get us from one place to another, and we abuse them until they run down and get another. For others, it's a huge deal, and you'll see people thousands of dollars underwater on a giant truck they'll never take offroad because they trade it in for next year's model every year. That's the mentality they are geared towards servicing, but for the fantasy of space travel. We make fun of the SC advertisement magazine PDFs, but those serve a very specific purpose and actually work. Backers slobber over those things.

Additionally, the cost itself justifies the value. A ship in SC is worth a lot because it costs a lot. The more CIG prices it at, the more it's worth in people's minds. It's expensive, so it MUST be special, so I MUST get it. The rarity of limited-run ships contributes to that as well. It's very predatory, the same mentality that makes people spend thousands on lootboxes and mobile games.

How this actually works in terms of game balance in a finished game is a giant question mark, and CIG knows it. If they want to survive past final "release" of SC their biggest hurdle will probably be how to deal with that in a way that satisfies whale backers while being enticing to new and non-ship buying players. So far, purposefully or not, they've kicked that can down the road further and further, and it's paid off so far. Why break the revenue stream? I'd argue they can't release.

But it's also a question mark how much longer they can extend this. Sure, every year they top themselves in funding, but costs keep going up as well - the Calder money was a windfall, but that's not always going to happen. Where are they going to be in 1 year? Another 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Beet Wagon posted:

This poo poo is always so wild to me because people will be like "Oh my god the planets look amazing!" or compare them to a hand-crafted battlefield map or whatever, but like... nobody stops to think "Yeah okay but it has taken them 6 years, still doesn't look as good as a hand-crafted map, and doesn't actually add anything to the game." Not that CIG's hand-crafted maps have been great when we've seen them (lol Area 18) but think about how many of them they could have made in the time it has taken them to sort of figure out how to make a completely empty planet have some snowy mountains on it.

And that's before you even get to stuff like Dual Universe, which sacrifices a bit of photorealism for the ability to generate huge forests and player-built cities and poo poo.

The concept of procedural generation is 33 years old, and obviously was limited by tech back in the day. But yeah, let’s pretend CIG delivered anything „special“ when it is just decades old industry standard and a core technique of development since the Amiga and Atari ST and Arcon Archimedes days lol