Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What word best describes your year?
This poll is closed.
Twee 4 1.28%
Goose 34 10.90%
Strand 22 7.05%
Bowsette 115 36.86%
poo poo 46 14.74%
Kirby 31 9.94%
Sonic 14 4.49%
I told you I don't like these polls 46 14.74%
Total: 312 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I will be compiling a list of enemies list of games chat thread regulars who don't post a goty list.

Ol Last Minute Regy that's what they call me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Samus Aran playing Metroid music for 50 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br5u8WBGj7w

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

can't in good conscience make a list before wattam comes out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Excited to play this tonight. Does it have couch co-op?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I feel real weird that Fume Knight did basically nothing for me. He was a dude, he moved slow, his animations were boring, and I kicked his butt in like two tries after learning his dodge timing. :geno:

He might have just been overhyped, or he was vastly overshadowed by me playing Bloodborne all the way through first.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wattam mighty good an

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dewgy posted:

I feel real weird that Fume Knight did basically nothing for me. He was a dude, he moved slow, his animations were boring, and I kicked his butt in like two tries after learning his dodge timing. :geno:

He might have just been overhyped, or he was vastly overshadowed by me playing Bloodborne all the way through first.

I think its the latter yeah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Nooby Nooby Boy was on PS4.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I wish Nooby Nooby Boy was on PS4.

you just need to login

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Bloodborne changed so much expectation of what From was capable of that I'm not surprised it makes their older games seem sluggish.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i just thought the dlc that fume knight was a part of insanely boring and never touched the rest of it or the other dlcs after killing him

especially when some dumbass thought i wanted to do a timed run through a place filled with loving alonne knights to get to a boss, gently caress that garbage.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

I think its the latter yeah.

I mean, Artorias is still fun, but all the DS2 bosses are just so... stiff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

especially when some dumbass thought i wanted to do a timed run through a place filled with loving alonne knights to get to a boss, gently caress that garbage.

Yeah that sucked

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

well you edited it now this doesn't make sense

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

well you edited it now this doesn't make sense

Now my poor reading comprehension looks like your mistake instead :toot:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i still prefer the slower combat of ds1 over bloodborne and them trying to push ds3 to be faster made the game the worst in the series

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phantasium posted:

i just thought the dlc that fume knight was a part of insanely boring and never touched the rest of it or the other dlcs after killing him

Oof. The DS2 DLC is some of the best content FROM has ever made.

You super missed out buddy.

Stux posted:

i still prefer the slower combat of ds1 over bloodborne and them trying to push ds3 to be faster made the game the worst in the series

Yeah but making Sekiro faster made it the best yet.

I do like the deliberate combat of DS1 though. The biggest thing I miss about DS1 was the more survival horror style health management. DS2 onwards there's so much healing available you don't ever get into that situation anymore. In DS1 you had to survive to the boss with enough health, the level was this slow battle of attrition that would wear you down.

DS2 onwards if you die its because you got overwhelmed in a fight and couldn't find an opportunity to heal, not that you couldn't heal anymore. That's a mistake IMO. Sekiro made that a bit better though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

I like Bloodborne more than the DS games but I agree that DS3 is the worst since the first two DS games are trying to do their own thing whereas DS3 just feels like a worse bloodborne

Zaphod42 posted:

I do like the deliberate combat of DS1 though. The biggest thing I miss about DS1 was the more survival horror style health management. DS2 onwards there's so much healing available you don't ever get into that situation anymore. In DS1 you had to survive to the boss with enough health, the level was this slow battle of attrition that would wear you down.

DS2 onwards if you die its because you got overwhelmed in a fight and couldn't find an opportunity to heal, not that you couldn't heal anymore. That's a mistake IMO. Sekiro made that a bit better though.

Sekiro does its own thing again instead of just trying to be bloodborne (except worse)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 16, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i also didn't like how ripostes in dark souls 2 made a weird crummy creaky door noise instead of the big vmmmMMM SPLORTCH of dark souls 1

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Oof. The DS2 DLC is some of the best content FROM has ever made.

You super missed out buddy.

i havnt played sekiro properly yet but i def dont dislike bloodborne, its my favorite right after ds1, and the speed works cos the game is entirely designed around it. ds2 i think is interesting, i dont think its anywhere near as bad as people said at the time, and the healing early on is actually pretty brutal, but yeah as you go on it becomes more trivial than ds1 ever did. it did start the issue that really kicks into gear in ds3 though where enemies are exempt from having stamina.

Andrast posted:

I like Bloodborne more than the DS games but I agree that DS3 is the worst since the first two DS games are trying to do their own thing whereas DS3 just feels like a worse bloodborne

its ironic because ds2 is the "b team" but ds3 feels like a sequel made by a second team who are really trying to prove they understand the franchise. ds2 is far more standalone and ambitious and interesting.

also ds3 inexplicably threw away the dual weapon system from 2 and thats a crime

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ds2 has the small white soapstone making it the best by default

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I will be compiling a list of enemies list of games chat thread regulars who don't post a goty list.

I'm working on it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Besides the Soul Memory trainwreck, DS2 rules because it's basically a divergent branch of the Souls family. I wish they followed that up instead of Bloodborne.

Also it's funny and good how it has no real reverence for Dark Souls 1's Deepest Lore at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nearly killed em! posted:

I refunded Pillars of Eternity after the first hour or so of playing because of exactly this. Character creation is exactly that and then you get your first party member and the game asks you to decide, finally, what class combination he'll be without giving you any information on what it means. I decided it wasn't worth my time dealing with that.

Yeah, it's a bit weird because I've faced it so many times before in games. Thing is, in most of those style cRPGs you're working from a kind of known ruleset. Now, I still think it's pretty bad design since there are people in the world who don't have various DnD rulesets somewhat internalized. Even so, in NWN or BG or whatever, I feel like I have some sort of footing as to what kind of person I want to be, though again, its bad design so I almost always end up looking up a build once I have a general idea in mind.

The problem with Outer Worlds, as someone coming in completely blind, literally to this day have not seen a single trailer and all I know from general reviews is its a mediocre, toothless New Vegas. I didn't know what the skills did, the interactions between them, or what skills will actually be called upon in play. The more I think about it, the more this tradition stinks and I can't imagine how many people fire up these games, stall at the character creation screen and either quit or spend a bunch of time and anxiety trying to make the right thing and then lose interest 20 minutes into playing already. It's one thing in a PnP to create your character before playing, in that setting you actually are crafting a person and history and set of internal guidelines for how that character will behave and it's got everything to do with your imagination and basically nothing to do with mechanics and numbers. Here it's just, pick your mechanics and numbers for a roleplaying system we won't explain, have fun guessing what kind of game this will be!

As for good counter-examples, first one that comes to mind is Deus Ex Human Mankind Divided. You start the game with some pre-chosen abilities and stats and the first segment of the game is a space for you to explore your mechanics and abilities. You are introduced to different things you can do, alternate routes or strategies, essentially you get a little slice of gameplay to go through and once it's over you're given the opportunity to reset and create your character from the ground up. You can swap out powers, beef up others, etc based on your playstyle that you've experienced and discovered through testing poo poo out.

Anyway, an hour or three into the game and I'm still baffled by so many things, I'm not even sure what my motivation is as a character yet. Rick shows up and wakes me, kills a guy with my escape pod (and treats it like a joke, not really much opportunity to roleplay here) and I guess in this world killing someone means you just get to take ownership of it, and thank god the ship AI is so eager to circumvent whatever its own job was supposed to be.

They're also trying to do some faux-retro aesthetic but it feels pretty perfunctory. Especially since the retro aesthetic seemed to be the only thing Bethesda had to offer the franchise when they bought it, previously it had some 80spunkness to it but the 1950s crap seemed kick into overdrive once Bethesda reduced Fallout to a handful of marketable icons.

There's also something weird about developers writing about evil corporations and a lack of concern for human life when they themselves are overworked, underpaid, and routinely exploited by their own evil corporations. After playing DE, I can't help but see many of the options I'm presented with as being kind of toothless and hollow. My PC is usually offered choices like [just whatever, lets move along the story], [yes, but some thing that makes me sound good], and [inexplicably rude baggage unload]. Anyway, I'm late to this party but what an odd game this is so far.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Outer Worlds would feel just as toothless and hollow even if you didn't play DE before it because it is indeed incredibly toothless and hollow

(It does have respeccing for your skill points and perks though)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 16, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I also played Kingsway and Slay the Spire this weekend. Kingsway is really cool, I" beat it" my first try and discovered the better endings exist and promptly went back for more and had my characters die rapidly over and over until I got one that's been doing good progress towards a better ending so far. Just a cool aesthetic and concept, I think it could be pushed further but there's a good amount of depth and replayability with just the simple systems at hand.

Slay the Spire was good too, just a solid card strategy CYOA type game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Andrast posted:

Outer Worlds woulds feel just as toothless and hollow even if you didn't play DE before it because it is indeed incredibly toothless and hollow

(It does have respeccing for your skill points and perks though)

Found the respeccing thing, good that it's there, but still a bizarre game flow. At the very least, you'd think they would've included some premade archetypes. I'm no stranger to spending an hour looknig poo poo up to make a character, but I have to assume most players wouldn't want to do that nonsense and would be happy picking "the infiltrator" or "the mechanic" or some poo poo and move along.

Also, no VATS system sucks. Bullet time is not an adequate replacement and also half of my bullet times are just me reloading the gun anyway. I've played every Fallout game exclusively using VATs and being forced to suddenly do FPS poo poo is really killing my drive to keep playing. Xbox gamespass is an interesting mindset for me. I feel less obligated to finish anything, achievements might as well not exist. It doesn't feel like I'm owning anything or renting anything. It feels like I'm at some kid's house whose parents make too much money and I'm stuck there for the weekend non-committaly playing random games.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Control spoiler ahoy: I got a blinking LED Christmas sweater irl that somehow goes perfectly with the Ashtray Maze, as confirmed by accident last night when I played the song on Apple Music.

I may need to get a video of this while I make another run through it ingame. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Andrast posted:

Outer Worlds would feel just as toothless and hollow even if you didn't play DE before it because it is indeed incredibly toothless and hollow

It feels hollow even compared to the same style of RPG made by the same developer 10 years ago.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't understand the sudden hate for Obsidian. They use to be the, can do no wrong, developer in Games. Now I seem to be the only one here who likes their titles, which is funny because it actually use to be the exact opposite for me. I was soured on them for a long rear end time after Knights of the Old Republic 2, and Alpha Protocol were pretty bad games. KOTOR2 was buggy and unplayable, and AP was just boring.

The Outer Worlds though is one of my favorite games to come out this year.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

idk that anyone hates them, although outer worlds is an extremely emperor has no clothes situation

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've always been an Obskeptian.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i liked outer worlds just fine but i went in with no expectations for it, it's absolutely unsurprising that people who were hoping for another game the size and shape of fallout new vegas came away disappointed

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i liked outer worlds just fine but i went in with no expectations for it, it's absolutely unsurprising that people who were hoping for another game the size and shape of fallout new vegas came away disappointed
i didn't even want that, and was really happy with the scope of the first planet. if anything, its too fallout mechanically, but without the new vegas writing to back it up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's ok but very boring using the same handful of guns and armor the entire game. Getting "Mk. 2" versions of them all sucks, and the unique versions of them aren't actually unique in any way.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m disappointed in their latest game, yes I HATE obsidian now !!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It feels hollow even compared to the same style of RPG made by the same developer 10 years ago.

Well New Vegas is one of the better written RPGs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand the sudden hate for Obsidian. They use to be the, can do no wrong, developer in Games. Now I seem to be the only one here who likes their titles, which is funny because it actually use to be the exact opposite for me. I was soured on them for a long rear end time after Knights of the Old Republic 2, and Alpha Protocol were pretty bad games. KOTOR2 was buggy and unplayable, and AP was just boring.

The Outer Worlds though is one of my favorite games to come out this year.

Obsidian has always been kind of hit and miss

Like, the original NWN2 was very mediocre until MOTB was released, nobody cares about Dungeon Siege 3 and PoE1 is just boring while kotor 2, AP and New Vegas are all stellar games imo. The same pattern continues with PoE2 being very good and Outer Worlds being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It's ok but very boring using the same handful of guns and armor the entire game. Getting "Mk. 2" versions of them all sucks, and the unique versions of them aren't actually unique in any way.

To be fair, was there ever a game with interesting guns? The old lovely Prey maybe, had some neat alien butthole guns. I loving hate guns though. Loud, boring, not-a-spear. Waste of my drat time.