Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Fantastic episode. I wish it would have stayed on Snake Planet the entire time.

Same. Snake Planet owns.

Also I’m the :krad: as hell Snake-1980s Snake-M.I.T. time traveler snake dude with the :krad: sunglasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That was some goooood poo poo. Hopefully that'll put to bed the "show's bad now" discussions for a bit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Great episode. Everything on snake planet was gold, and I don't know why.

I wonder if there was a Snake Plissken somewhere in there.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PostNouveau posted:

Great episode. Everything on snake planet was gold, and I don't know why.

Fully committing to the dumb time travel with multiplying piles of dead bodies.

Also, Snake Hitler having a dog.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That was one of their all-time best episodes imo. The loving mutant Jerry head to talk to Beth on the phone that gets dissolved in acid as soon as the call is done.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Really loved the time travel loop they have with the future Rick and Morty being assholes to their past selves, causing their own past selves to be assholes when they get to that point in the time line.

Just the utter pointless pettiness of it all was great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
A whole lot of blink and you'll miss it smart/dumb jokes, which is what I watch this show for

Phenotype posted:

That was one of their all-time best episodes imo. The loving mutant Jerry head to talk to Beth on the phone that gets dissolved in acid as soon as the call is done.

Yeah loved that, also loved that it had a couple other nozzles ready to go, I believe one was "Pizza Guy"

And Rick was able to plug into his brain and remote-control what the head should say

But the head managed to force out an "I will eat your world!" which Beth interpreted in entirely the best way possible lmaooo

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can somebody explain to my why I should keep caring about any of this if we're going to jettison everything that's happened before now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Can somebody explain to my why I should keep caring about any of this if we're going to jettison everything that's happened before now?

Are you in the wrong thread? Or was this the first season of R&M you've seen?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Nope. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This show killed off every single character and then rebooted itself into an identical replacement universe, where they buried their own clones, and Morty reflected on that and said

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”

Why should you care??

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I half expected the thrown boulder to knock over the bike.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Everything in the Snake language just being spelled "SSSSS" was great, and Snake Hitler's balcony overflowing with corpses was a perfect sight gag - because of COURSE everyone travels back in time to kill Hitler, so a ton of them would arrive at the same time.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

sticklefifer posted:

Everything in the Snake language just being spelled "SSSSS" was great, and Snake Hitler's balcony overflowing with corpses was a perfect sight gag - because of COURSE everyone travels back in time to kill Hitler, so a ton of them would arrive at the same time.

and in the hands of shitheads, a lot of people would also time travel back to stop the time travelers from killing snake hitler, because of course they would.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey, some of those time travelers could be from timelines where killing Snitler resulted in a worse future than letting him run his course.

Also, less important, this was a top shelf episode.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

loving Jerry, too proud to accept help and killed a shitload of people just to save his own rear end.

Too bad Rick didn't just leave him with the broken leg.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

loving Jerry, too proud to accept help and killed a shitload of people just to save his own rear end.

As opposed to Rick?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So Summer hangs out with the girl with the "stripper titties" who Brad(?) left her for? Maybe they just grabbed a couple of character sheets and didn't think about it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

BizarroAzrael posted:

So Summer hangs out with the girl with the "stripper titties" who Brad(?) left her for? Maybe they just grabbed a couple of character sheets and didn't think about it.

she IS also a teenager.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

They done took TIME TRAVEL off the shelf!

I was dreading this moment, but it worked. Great episode: good writing, good parody, great laughs. Everything that I like in Rick and Morty.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I. M. Gei posted:

Did Summer just make a Cask of Amontillado reference?

“Nobody strikes chokes me without punishment consent”

No, it was just a sex thing.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That was a weird left turn in the middle of the episode. The second half about timetraveling terminator snakes wasn't bad, but I would have liked to see the outcome of Morty introducing an earth snake to the intelligent snake people.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Rick asked if she wanted to visit boob world, and she said, "not today..." Interpret that as you will.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

Brad was Jessica's ex-boyfriend from the football team.

Ethan left Summer for Tricia but I'm pretty sure after Morty hosed him up Ethan isn't dating either of them anymore. I could see the girls commiserating over a shared ex.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
beth confirmed mombot???

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Summer could have had a moment of personal growth and realized it was wrong to hate Tricia over Ethan's lovely behavior.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kill All Cops posted:

beth confirmed mombot???

I said it at the end of last season - real Rick and Beth are off having adventures and bonding.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Baller episssssssode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My one quibble was Jerry really shouldn't have survived that. Neither grabbing the plane with his fingernails nor landing on a tree was remotely realistic. This show plays fast and loose with physics but there's usually some Rick science-magic to hand waive suspension of disbelief.

They even intentionally lampshade it by having the snake guy show up to rescue Jerry but he's like "gently caress off Rick I don't need your help". Thing is... if Jerry really was THAT hosed and STILL refused Rick's help, he should probably be dead? That was pretty suicidally stupid. Even for Jerry, he may have pride but he usually caves in the face of certain death?

Also the snake immediately being like "What? Who is Rick? No I am here on my own to help you" felt a bit forced to try to make the joke work.

Doesn't really ruin the episode or anything.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, Jerry finally growing a nanometer of a spine at the worst time wouldn’t be all that surprising for him.

Kinda surprised that the stinger didn’t feature a quick few seconds of the family watching a news report about his antics killing everyone on board and quite a few people on the ground, and everyone else (including Rick) has no idea why he’s taking it so hard.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Summer and her friend dancing to snake jazz and then verbally destroying the nerdy friend had me dying. "Gee I dunno Nancy, can you alter the course of being a giant loving nerd?"

"Sorry." :(

"Also later, we need to discuss your clothing. And your weight"

"That's fair." :( :(

Snake Jazz is destroying teenagers.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm a bit sad that Cool 80s Time Travel Snake got wiped out as well. They were rad.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
On second thought, it's the snake doing the worm and a windmill that really sells it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh wow, this episode was really Jerry at his worst. Just loving poo poo up for no reason other than pride.

Snake world was adorable :3: loved all the little snake outfits.

Lupus Rufus posted:

and in the hands of shitheads, a lot of people would also time travel back to stop the time travelers from killing snake hitler, because of course they would.

Yup, and no one actually manages to kill snake Hitler. He's just left standing there naked and confused. Rick was right, those whacky snakes were pretty stupid at using time travel.

I liked this one, just a bunch of people (and snakes) being jerks and funny jokes but sometimes that's all you need.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

This show killed off every single character and then rebooted itself into an identical replacement universe, where they buried their own clones, and Morty reflected on that and said

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”

Why should you care??
You're actually proving my point. That could've been a throwaway gag that they never mentioned again after the Cronenberg world, but it became a really important part of Morty's story. So much that several episodes later, he laments the fact to his sister.

This season, more than any other, seems to be ignoring every development that's happened before now. Last season ended with Rick being kicked out of the family. This season began with him being yadda yaddad back into the status quo.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The last season ended with Rick making a choice: Accept the family on their terms or leave. He chose to stay, and has struggled with his new position in every episode of this new season.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

If Mutata or Typical are still reading:

Did you guys also have to take a big break in between these 5 episodes and the next 5 episodes? Or did you just work on the whole season at once and they got split up after they were done?

Also you’re killing it this season, some of the very best animations yet!!

We were working the entire time. but we just got so backed up on the first 5 with designs and scripts that by the time they came out of the pipe there was a big gap.

The show is a big assembly line so if one part gets stuck. it causes a chain reaction later on down the line.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Typical posted:

We were working the entire time. but we just got so backed up on the first 5 with designs and scripts that by the time they came out of the pipe there was a big gap.

The show is a big assembly line so if one part gets stuck. it causes a chain reaction later on down the line.

These episodes have been so dense it's not surprising the designs got backed up.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Yes. also these episode are far more dense. At first I thought it was just my imagination, but our producer told us some numbers. In season 1 and 2, we were looking at mabyeeee 70-100 props per episode. now its closer to 250.

Every department has had to scale up. The number of art assets required to make a single episode have tripped, and the crew has gotten much bigger as well. I used to be the only prop guy. Now I have two people underneath me. And we have Mutata on 3d Freelance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I liked Snitler, Snabraham Lincoln and the Snerminator