Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/MarkGodich/status/1205556664017051648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Well, look on the bright side:

We'll all be dead eventually.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This cracked me up.

https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1205754148802555905?s=21

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Looks like due to the new California laws regulating independent contractors, SBNation is consolidating all their blog positions in the state to full-time jobs. Probably the right move in the long run but sucks for the people currently in those spots

https://twitter.com/Aykis16/status/1206625925602762752?s=20

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I've seen a lot about how the new laws are actually loving over a lot of freelancers even though it's well-intentioned.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

morestuff posted:

Looks like due to the new California laws regulating independent contractors, SBNation is consolidating all their blog positions in the state to full-time jobs. Probably the right move in the long run but sucks for the people currently in those spots

https://twitter.com/Aykis16/status/1206625925602762752?s=20

The independent contractor law is kind of a mess, but at the same time SBNation was downright awful to their "contributors."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, generally I think it's a bad thing when they take a small dedicated team and turn them over into a large team of part-time freelancers, so it's probably a good thing to go this way.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have no idea how you get a writing job without freelancing in 2019 but also while freelancers are not to blame, scabs their existence enables a lot of anti-worker behavior in the industry.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh and Vox Media didnt tell anyone either

https://twitter.com/unstoppablebaby/status/1206648037193519104

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ab5 is dumb because the exemptions mean that each freelancer will only get 35 articles per year

also because people who play actual gigs like musicians are disproportionately affected by it

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah I've seen a lot about how the new laws are actually loving over a lot of freelancers even though it's well-intentioned.

The law was always going to gently caress over freelancers. The question whether turning some of those gigs into actual jobs was worth the rest of them going away.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Patrick Spens posted:

The law was always going to gently caress over freelancers. The question whether turning some of those gigs into actual jobs was worth the rest of them going away.

Absolutely not, the law is terribly thought out

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

it is astounding how Vox manages to get continually worse and worse with how they handle things.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I thought it was 35 pieces for a single business? I could be wrong, if it's "you can't freelance more than 35 pieces a year" that's real awful. You basically can't be a stringer for newspapers/news outlets at that point.

It's also weird given that California should have as much experience as anywhere in the nation with the more successful freelance industries, and you'd think the drafters would have sought their input.

It's also awful given that places like Uber that are the main target of the law are just going to ignore it and figure they can eventually win in court.

This is something where Deadspin would have a really good article about the effects on media outlets as this goes into force.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattMackowiak/status/1206795556410023936

lmao

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I thought it was 35 pieces for a single business? I could be wrong, if it's "you can't freelance more than 35 pieces a year" that's real awful. You basically can't be a stringer for newspapers/news outlets at that point.

its 35 per business per writer, which means each business can effectively hire as many freelancers as it wants but each can only get 35 articles at x rate before having to find another publication to work for

itd be fine if unions hadnt been crushed to death in this country and writers could collectively bargain for more competitive rates but in effect it creates an actual true gig economy where you work for five publications on a will-call basis instead of just one; the exemptions in the law only serve to help the businesses and hurt the employees but what the gently caress else is new you know

e: its basically one of those things like the health insurance mandate (30+ hrs a week = insurance offered, which ends up not even getting followed in most small businesses in my anecdotal experience because labor laws in this country are a joke) where you end up with a bunch of people working 29 hrs a week at two jobs

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 17, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
These laws are written badly on purpose because they're shopped around between competing firms of assholes who each try and one up each other with how much misery they inflict upon the working class. They're targeting journalists because good journalism holds the powerful to account.

this is ideologically married to the rise of fascism in greater society. the writing of the future will be breathless, exhausting, and an utterly facile recounting of events with zero synthesis or insight.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Im glad of it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Absolutely not, the law is terribly thought out

So you'd be ok with them firing full timers and farming out those jobs to freelancers making poverty wages with no labor protections? Because that seems worse to me and this is just doing that in reverse.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A cool article with a frankly gorgeous graphic

https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1206957873496023041

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

So you'd be ok with them firing full timers and farming out those jobs to freelancers making poverty wages with no labor protections? Because that seems worse to me and this is just doing that in reverse.

the problem with ab5 is that its not creating jobs, its just shuttering freelance positions which while not great are literally better than nothing

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

the problem with ab5 is that its not creating jobs, its just shuttering freelance positions which while not great are literally better than nothing

But they aren't replacing is with nothing? They are replacing it with full-time jobs with benefits and such. That seems like the point of the bill, no? That's what the new FT postings are on their site.

I mean, if you think gig economy is exploitative, then isn't the the path? Stop getting 50 people to do your job for $5 an hour and instead have 10 people do it for real wages and benefits?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/TheIntercollege/status/1206921636282286080?s=19

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
What a goddamn weirdo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's like 10,000 texts a season just for D1, isn't it?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nap Ghost

I wanna see this graphic for Baron Davis just to see them plot the longest 3 ever made.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man, "College Coach" is definitely worth seeking out if you haven't seen it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That's like 10,000 texts a season just for D1, isn't it?

There is no way he is a real person.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

But they aren't replacing is with nothing? They are replacing it with full-time jobs with benefits and such. That seems like the point of the bill, no? That's what the new FT postings are on their site.

I mean, if you think gig economy is exploitative, then isn't the the path? Stop getting 50 people to do your job for $5 an hour and instead have 10 people do it for real wages and benefits?

if each of those people have to do the work of five people then youre just compensating people better for exploiting them harder; i also dont know what voxs ft opportunities are actually gonna look like when theres a real easy loophole to get around the freelancer laws in california

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Any progress being made on the labor front is inevitably going to first affect low to middle income people before they eventually reap the benefits in the long run.

Its like Medicare for All. If it ever gets enacted it will first affect the tens to hundreds of thousands of employees at Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Medical Mutual, etc. Doesnt mean that its not the right answer in the long run.

And trust me, these big corporations that benefited most from the bullshit gig economy will be fanning the this actually hurts the little guy flames as much as possible to provoke outrage and try to get this law overturned either through the courts or through further legislation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndrewwM_/status/1207030471781212161

lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rothstein and Rovell are opposite sides of the same coin.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

youre just compensating people better for exploiting them harder

I get what you're saying but this is a very extreme way of putting "part-time vs full-time"

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Lockback posted:

Besides SB nation this is not happening at a meaningful rate in journalism and sb nation didnt fire full time employees.

As someone mentioned you are going to have a hell of a time cracking into the industry without stringing. And most of the time those people are going to be doing small stories at first which means they will blow past the cap in short order. There are a lot of people who do this as supplemental income in addition to a full time job, and many who string full time for a variety of valid reasons. For logistic reasons larger media groups need stringers and correspondents. This fucks over all of them

36 stories/contracts over the course of a year is no where close to full time work for a very large portion of media groups. Whats almost certainly going to happen is theyll mirror how the service industry operates. They will just increase the number of stringers and never let them go over, or replace several freelancers with a full time person at the lowest possible rate to circumvent overtime laws and work them at 60 hours weeks.

Its a lovely deal for everyone in whats a disaster of an industry already. And the dumb law is almost certainly not going to have its intendeded effect against the targeted groups (Uber, etc) because theyre funded enough to lobby and fight it out for ages. Journalists arent.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

It’s a lovely deal for everyone in what’s a disaster of an industry already. And the dumb law is almost certainly not going to have its intendeded effect against the targeted groups (Uber, etc) because they’re funded enough to lobby and fight it out for ages. Journalists aren’t.

I mean, Vox Media is worth billions and could certainly afford to fight the law if they wanted to.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

I get what you're saying but this is a very extreme way of putting "part-time vs full-time"

sure but theyre not going from 25 hrs to 40; itd be more like 30 to 60

without a union to protect them and collectively bargain, their quality of life is going to suffer; i think people take it for granted that these websites arent going to lean heavily on salaried employees and higher numbers of stringers working for multiple outlets and while vox media has a union, most of those freelancers werent in it and wont have any sort of union looking out for them as they try to piece together the same gig economy existence at a half dozen outlets instead of just one

i think protecting labor is good, but this law doesnt actually protect freelancers because there are no punitive measures for a company hiring a bunch of freelancers to do a few articles apiece. its kind of like how fosta-sesta doesnt actually curb sex trafficking while disproportionately hurting sex workers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Besides SB nation this is not happening at a meaningful rate in journalism and sb nation didnt fire full time employees.

SI just fired their full staff to be replaced with freelancers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of how well getting rid of all your full time employees has gone (yeah I know, I just want an excuse):

https://twitter.com/kevinmdraper/status/1207051748252229635

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

sure but theyre not going from 25 hrs to 40; itd be more like 30 to 60

without a union to protect them and collectively bargain, their quality of life is going to suffer; i think people take it for granted that these websites arent going to lean heavily on salaried employees and higher numbers of stringers working for multiple outlets and while vox media has a union, most of those freelancers werent in it and wont have any sort of union looking out for them as they try to piece together the same gig economy existence at a half dozen outlets instead of just one

i think protecting labor is good, but this law doesnt actually protect freelancers because there are no punitive measures for a company hiring a bunch of freelancers to do a few articles apiece. its kind of like how fosta-sesta doesnt actually curb sex trafficking while disproportionately hurting sex workers

The law definitely seems bad for freelancers, but I don't know that most of the 200 SBN contributors affected would actually consider themselves full-time freelancers. The site managers, maybe, but it looks like there's about a dozen of those. The smaller-time contributors all seem to be the usual mix of hobbyists, hopeful writers and internet weirdos that are willing to write for nothing or basically nothing.

It genuinely sucks those people are losing a platform, and what little supplemental income SBN broke off in the past. But full-time employees are going to have benefits, a set salary and the protection of the union and in general I think it's the only justifiable path forward for the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

Hola SEA!

Mahoning posted:

Any progress being made on the labor front is inevitably going to first affect low to middle income people before they eventually reap the benefits in the long run.

Its like Medicare for All. If it ever gets enacted it will first affect the tens to hundreds of thousands of employees at Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Medical Mutual, etc. Doesnt mean that its not the right answer in the long run.

And trust me, these big corporations that benefited most from the bullshit gig economy will be fanning the this actually hurts the little guy flames as much as possible to provoke outrage and try to get this law overturned either through the courts or through further legislation.

I know the Sanders plan for moving away from fossil fuels includes at least a vague program for transitioning employees to new jobs, M4A needs the same, and both need to be more robust

And I dont just say that because I work for an insurance company, though it doesnt hurt (I doubt i still will by the time any new programs could go into effect)