Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The sirens have done feeblemind for as long as I've been playing BG1 EE. It's why I never go until I get a potion of clarity which protects against feeblemind. Had a promising ironman run a few years ago due to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Flint Stonington, the Dwarven Defender has been on a roll. In addition to most of the sidequests outside of Baldur's Gate, the team cleared out the Bandit Camp, Cloakwood Mines, and rolled into Baldur's Gate spoiling for a fights, which Scar was happy too provide. One doppleganger skirmish and one Arrow of Slaying'd Ogre mage later, we got the go-ahead to wreck shop on the Iron Throne. Tragically, Jaheira ate one too many flame strikes in the Iron Throne HQ fight. I'm not such a masochist that I'm going to go on without her, though, so a quick trip to the local cleric had her on her feet just in time to head back to Candlekeep and get framed for murder. Now we're in the catacombs and Flint is finally going to hit STR 19 to make up for his lackluster STR roll at character generation.

Also, the chicken lived on this runaround.

Big thanks to Idahoant and cheesetriangles for preaching the gospel of magic (and regular) missiles. Probably would have died a few times over without it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Arco, halfling cleric of Helm is doing just fine. I still think there's something about HP rolls that are weighted by CON or the main character or something because I've had some TRULY garbage rolls (Minsc got 2 HP at level up once; Khalid got 4. Both of those are 1 + con bonus). But Arco and his 20 con (18 + tome + Bentley's Buckler) has never rolled worse than 7. 52 HP at level 6. I'd be elated if I had 72 by level 9.

Just puttering around the various wilderness areas. Did the basilisks, ankhegs, sirines x2, and vampire wolves already. I think the only scary wilderness left is the web trap/red wizard one. The amazons and the Gullykin assassins will get absolutely wrecked by firebombs. I'll do Cloakwood real soon though so I can still have a thief before Imoen dual-classes.

Also, while I'm sure this will eventually even out, clerics are incredibly good. Any area I enter now I summon 4 skeleton warriors who are immune to fear, hold, charm, and petrification--all the things that tend to get you DEAD early on. They can fight a little bit, last 8 hours so I never have to worry about them vanishing, and will get better as I level up. Totally worthless against good melee right now, but as a shield to soak up annoying spell and status effects, couldn't ask for more. Meanwhile, Command and Hold Person are both superb, and Silence 15' Radius has a -5 save vs. spells penalty so it completely shuts down casters. And the True Sight on the Helm cleric is great; knocks out annoying invisibility and mirror images. I'm not real sold on Seeking Sword; don't particularly like not having access to spells for the duration. But I guess it's kinda ok.

PS: +1 Melicamp survival.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Animate Dead can be staple through most of BG2.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It absolutely trivializes the Cloakwood, since skeletons are immune to poison and heavily resistant to piercing damage, which is everything spiders and ettercaps deal.

Skeleton poison immunity also means they're immune to Stinking Cloud, so using them to gum up enemies while you stank up the battlefield is really effective.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
An update for Isabelle, Priest of Helm.

The vampiric wolf pack near the Beregost Temple went pretty smoothly. Dorn and Isabelle killed the vampiric wolves well enough, and the other wolves were taken out with Sleep and ranged attacks.

Zordral failed his save against Command, and was cut down quickly. I also killed Kryll to continue Dorn's quest in the same way.

Tenya's little quest was not an issue. The few ankhegs outside the nest were not too tough either, mainly thanks to Sleep, but also Dorn's ludicrously strong crits.

Inside the nest was more of the same, but with a little more care regarding the movement of the party, the last thing I wanted was Neera being the first thing an ankheg saw after turning a corner. The wand of fire is a massive prize, Neera will be much more useful now. The extra set of ankheg plate I'll soon get from Taerom is nice too.

Everyone is above 10,000 XP now, but I'm putting the Nashkel Mine off for a bit longer. I'd like to have everyone be at least level 5, and immune to Sleep before clearing it. Not for the Mine itself of course, but for the 2 packs of assassins that will ambush me after I get to chapter 3.

Next up is more wilderness, the west side of the map specifically.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 17, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

biscuits and crazy posted:

Not for the Mine itself of course, but for the 2 packs of assassins that will ambush me after I get to chapter 3.

You could always walk out the way you came. It's what I always do. Anyway, what's up Helm Priest buddy?

The adventures of Arco, halfling cleric of helm continue.

Yes. More HP for the guy who ends the campaign if he dies, please.

Minsc and Khalid got mulched by Taugosz Khosan who just had NO interest in failing saves on charm, entangle, command, hold person, etc.

But once Arco hit level 5, it was time to send skeletons against high-xp targets whose nasty attacks didn't do anything to the undead.

+1 chicken lives

You'd think after losing Ashe I'd have been more aware of how dangerous confuse is. But, uh...I wasn't. Dynaheir got eaten during the confuse. I continued in, though.

A good use of Minsc's berserk? Pointing him in the direction of a mage who'll cast confuse, and also giving him a potion of absorption first in case she gets a lightning bolt off.

The ogre mage...also got confuse off. Didn't kill anyone, nor did it last very long. But quite annoying!

Davaeorn bounced a lightning bolt in the most inconvenient of places and wrecked Imoen (meaning I couldn't open a few treasure chests before flooding the mine) and Khalid. He runs out of spells pretty quickly, though. I never was really in any danger once I survived his fireball. But annoying. And scary as my remaining 3 party members had to trudge all the way back to the FAI after the fight hoping not to encounter wyverns (nope) or ettercaps (yes).

Anyway, we're without a thief as Imoen works on her dual class so we'll travel up and down the sword coast, doing all the remaining areas. And then we'll do Shandalar's Island, I guess. Durlag's without a thief is suicide; I'm sure someone's done it because someone's done everything in this game. But...won't be me. So those areas, and then Baldur's Gate stuff until we get Imoen back.

So far, so good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My run has been back burnered a bit with the new Path of Exile league starting but I'm making (slow progress). Crick Watson is about halfway through the Cloakwood at this point. Proper update later, probably after he finishes the mines (or I suppose if he doesn't) but for now I'll just say that Isra the NPC Cavalier being immune to poison has worked out rather nicely.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

After Flint Stonington, the Dwarven Defender got framed for (heavily provoked) act of self defense that he absolutely did commit, life has been a little rough. He's been slinking around in sewers, consorting with serial killers, and force to flee from the fuzz more times than he can count.

(He has a 6 int. It was five.)

But, when he stopped the doppelganger assassins and beat down his foster father's murderer, it all seemed worth it.

Then, in his haste, he tripped three lightning bolt traps in the face in the thieves' guild maze, and his entire party died. Thanks the con boosting tome he had already read, he scraped by with 3 hit points. As he trudges back to town, he thinks about his metaphorical carrying of the rest of the party has suddenly become rather literal.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 17, 2019

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Betty the Half-Orc Berserker has flooded the Cloakwood Mines, killed two infestations of doppleganger in Baldur's Gate, stumbled upon an ogre-mage in the sewers and made short work of him, and fetched a cloak for a wizard. I'm debating whether or not I want to do Durlag's before or after my return to Candlekeep. I just made level 7, so I know I only have one more level up, which gives me nothing other than more HP. I'm already getting a little antsy to get to the end and move on to BG2, but I need to be cautious because this is the farthest I've gotten in an Ironman run. Durlag's would be deadly for me. The only thing that would be really of use for me would be the +3 Two-handed sword on the King piece, but do I really need that beyond my +2?

gently caress it, I think Betty is preparing to assault the Iron Throne HQ in BG.

Branwen fell to a lightning bolt that bounced and hit her four times deep in the Cloakwood Mines, but thankfully Yeslick was there to fill the gap. So now I'm rolling with Neera (only one wild surge so far, and it was harmless), Safana, and Yeslick as my team. I think we make a good one.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Capfalcon posted:

Then, in his haste, he tripped three lightning bolt traps in the face in the thieves' guild maze, and his entire party died.

The Thieves' Maze is the worst area in the entire series. Firewine Ruins are a close 2nd, but at least they're just infested with kobold commandos. The skeleton warriors all over the maze are tough enough that you can't just slap protection from magic on someone and run around the whole maze tripping everything. And the corridors are so tight that if you trip a lightning bolt you're gonna eat it like 3 times at least. Just a truly awful level that was even worse in the original when pathfinding was worse. Ugh.

Also: don't sleep on the bounty hunters just hanging out in the undercity outside Sarevok's place. They're also REALLY dangerous.

Lucas Archer posted:

I just made level 7, so I know I only have one more level up, which gives me nothing other than more HP. I'm already getting a little antsy to get to the end and move on to BG2, but I need to be cautious because this is the farthest I've gotten in an Ironman run. Durlag's would be deadly for me. The only thing that would be really of use for me would be the +3 Two-handed sword on the King piece, but do I really need that beyond my +2?

Do it! Durlag's is fun! Probably my favorite area in the whole series; the exact opposite of the Thieves' Maze.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to chime in with the opposite opinion, the lowest two levels of Durlag's are easily the least fun part of BG for me and the boss has ways of catching you off-guard, wrecking Ironman parties.
But I'm, uh, really bad at BG1.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

FairGame posted:

Do it! Durlag's is fun! Probably my favorite area in the whole series; the exact opposite of the Thieves' Maze.

Oh, no doubt, but I’ve never made it through without dying multiple times.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Lucas Archer posted:

Oh, no doubt, but I’ve never made it through without dying multiple times.

I guarantee you that you won't die multiple times! One, at the most!

(Seriously though, here's how you do Durlag's if you're interested:

1.) Invisibility on your thief--the ring in Ulgoth's Beard will work. Or simply just have a mage cast it.
2.) Wander all around the level disarming traps. Take it slow. Nothing can see you while you're invisible other than some undead on basement 3 and basement 4. We'll get to that in a moment.
3.) If your thief happens to be of the fighter/thief variety (Coran, Shar-Teel, PC) then drink a potion of giant strength, strap on the boots of speed, and backstab the crap out of everything. There aren't mages or clerics in the Durlag's basements. Well, I guess the Fuernebol dopplegangers are clerics but they just cast cure light wounds so who cares. You're in no danger of getting status magicked to death. Clear traps. Backstab. Win.
4.) The various bosses are all fairly easy.

Basement Level 1: The 4 warders: these guys are the hardest, in my opinion. They'll open up with a cloudkill so you need to have an area to fall back to. All of them go down pretty easily in melee. Beatable just by drinking craploads of potions on your fighters and buffing to kingdom come. Haste + High Strength + Bless will wreck them. Dispel invisibility's not a terrible idea either.
Basement Level 2: No real boss, but you get several greater dopplegangers in a room full of stinking clouds. If you fall unconscious, you die. Get a couple arrows of dispelling on your archer so you can remove their haste and mirror images. Horn of Kazagoth, potion of magic blocking, or any potion that sinks your saving throws to the point you'll always avoid the stinking cloud will solve this problem.
Basement Level 2 (optional): Kiel's Dwarven Doomguard. It's an optional fight! You can skip it entirely! The treasure isn't even that good unless you want to combine Kiel's Helmet with the Blood Goblet. Anyway, they're just 4 beefy fighters. No tricks, just low AC, high HP, and low Thac0. Malison + Doom + web will wreck them. Then just send in whoever's got free action to mop up. Just note they're immune to missiles so you HAVE to take them out in melee. If you're not disabling, then swarm them with a good tank and 2 people with 2h weapons to get the reach.
Basement Level 3 (4 elemental guardians, chess): The chess one's the easiest, surprisingly: don't move from your starting spot. Lob fireballs, necklaces of missiles, and potions of explosion across the board. You'll kill most everything in the first salvo. The second salvo will do the rest. Sometimes they don't even activate and just sit there and take it. If they DO come for you, wait for them to reach you--don't walk forward (turn off party AI; a melee dude walking out will end your turn.) Try and bring them down with arrows as they walk across. But you'd be surprised how much good 6 fireballs all do!

As for the various elemental guardians:
1.) The polar bear is just a tank. Can be swarmed and brought down easily in melee. Give whoever's drawing fire for you Gorion's Belt and you'll be immune to everything in the room
2.) The fission slime goes down SUPER easy to Agannazar's Scorcher. Bring wand. Scorch. Repeat if necessary.
3.) The Phoenix Guards...ok yeah they're kinda dangerous. Make sure everyone has fire resist but otherwise you can just beat them down and heal up afterwards.
4.) Various air things. You'll want true sight, detect invisibility, or detect illusions. Haste + lots of buffs will bring these guys down.

Basement Level 4's boss fight is...a ghast, I guess? Just use a protection from magic scroll and you're immune to all the undead in that area. Speaking of undead, MOST of the enemies (including the incredibly dangerous Ashirukuru who backstab) on level 3 are undead. A scroll makes everything on that level easy.

:siren: Whoops, forgot to mention this. Greater Ghouls and (I think?) Ashirukurus can see through invisibility. So you'll want protection from undead here. Seriously, Coran and Shar-Teel absolutely dominate Durlag's. It's more annoying if your thief doesn't have combat abilities to speak of.

That just leaves the demonKnight. And you can look up any number of strats to deal with him. I think using the mirror is a suicide mission and introduces too many variables to the fight.)

FairGame fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 17, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

FairGame posted:

The Thieves' Maze is the worst area in the entire series. Firewine Ruins are a close 2nd, but at least they're just infested with kobold commandos. The skeleton warriors all over the maze are tough enough that you can't just slap protection from magic on someone and run around the whole maze tripping everything. And the corridors are so tight that if you trip a lightning bolt you're gonna eat it like 3 times at least. Just a truly awful level that was even worse in the original when pathfinding was worse. Ugh.

I gotta say, as soon as I heard the *click* *click* *click* I actually screamed out "NO!" and my wife had to come make sure I wasn't being attacked in real life. Dwarf's HP and Con bonus to saves is the only reason Flint Stonington is alive to gripe about his poor lot in life.

I'm making also using it as a good time to make a save for a Durlag's Tower run, as I have no confidence in my ability to iron man it, but I really wanna do it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Durlag's is my favorite dungeon in the entire game (maybe in all the games) but yeah it can definitely be a meat grinder.

Though my usual technique for dealing with trap heavy areas is to have an invisible thief sweep them before the rest of the party moves an inch. It's tedious but it's usually pretty safe if you're careful.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

FairGame posted:

I guarantee you that you won't die multiple times! One, at the most!

(Seriously though, here's how you do Durlag's if you're interested:
[excellent advice]

That's really good stuff, thanks.

However, Betty the Half-Orc Berserker has escaped the Candlekeep catacombs, but there was a heavy toll. Safana triggered a lightning trap because I wasn't being as cautious as I should have been. Then Yeslick got petrified by one of the greater basilisks and he had my stone to flesh scrolls. So THAT blows. Now it's just Betty and Neera against the world - I need to grab Alora to be my thief, but I guess I'll take Quayle? I've never used him in a party before, so I'm interested in what he brings to the table.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

FairGame posted:

You could always walk out the way you came. It's what I always do. Anyway, what's up Helm Priest buddy?

I'm using SCS, so both groups become random ambushes after clearing the Nashkel Mine. They used to be able to attack you in normal wilderness areas, but it was changed a while back. Helm Priests are pretty good aren't they, I'm surprised it took me so long to try one out. I'm tempted to try one solo non-ironman after this playthrough, I'm carrying on to Melissan non-ironman if I lose regardless of when I lose this run.

FairGame posted:

Durlag's without a thief is suicide; I'm sure someone's done it because someone's done everything in this game.

I've done it in solo runs in the past, but I had to take advantage of the un-removable fire traps on the first 3 levels of the basement to heal. Luckily most of the traps can be ignored with the correct buffs (Shield is probably the most important, getting saves as low as possible helps too), and most of the enemies don't respawn past the first basement, but it's not something I would recommend unless you're really experienced with the game. Durlag's really is incredible though, easily my favourite part of both games.

Anyway, here's an update for Isabelle, Priest of Helm.

One advantage of not doing a solo run is being able to get the Helm of Defence. Shoal knocked Viconia down to 1HP, and Droth did a number on Isabelle, but he was eventually brought down. Most ogre-magi aren't that dangerous, really. Shoal was killed shortly afterwards, I'll never turn down 5,000 XP with no rep penalty.

:allears: I love this guy.

The large pack of ogres here are quite dangerous, mainly thanks to SCS giving the 2 Berserkers a kit. No prizes for guessing which one. Luckily the Surgeon is very close by.

The sirines here are vulnerable to Sleep, it was simple to kill them.

A brief stop to murder an entire village of xvarts for no reason at all, and the deceptively dangerous Borda. He has 100% magic resistance for some reason, but luckily he has fairly low HP, so he didn't do too much damage after a True Sight. Certainly could have been worse.

I always thought you needed to talk to Edwin or Minsc to see Dynaheir, but apparently that's not the case. Either way, I got a Steam achievement for rescuing her, so that's nice.

Greywolf was not a problem to kill, but Prism didn't die. (I got the same bug last year, I think its because of BG1 Unfinished Business) Oh well.

Sendai's little band was easy enough, thanks to Hold Person taking out one of the archers immediately. Apparently they were high enough level for SCS to give them an extra healing potion, always a nice bonus to get one of those.

Skeleton Warriors dealt with the 2 groups of sirines quite easily, and the flesh golems where overwhelmed quickly with 5 melee attackers, although they do hit quite hard. The wand of paralyzation is a massive get, its one of the most useful items in the game to be honest, and the Con tome is nice too.

Same story with the Doomsayer really, although he lasted a bit longer. I've certainly had worse fights with it in the past. Imoen is now level 6, and I've got more than enough points in find traps and lockpicking that I could dual to Mage now, but for the sake of consistency between BG1 and BG2 I'll wait until she's level 7.

After a quick bit of shopping for some useful equipment upgrades, (Full Plate and the Claw of Kazgaroth for Isabelle, and a neutral robe for Neera)the party is currently resting in Beregost.

Next up is the Nashkel Mine, I'm more than ready for it now.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

That's really good stuff, thanks.

However, Betty the Half-Orc Berserker has escaped the Candlekeep catacombs, but there was a heavy toll. Safana triggered a lightning trap because I wasn't being as cautious as I should have been. Then Yeslick got petrified by one of the greater basilisks and he had my stone to flesh scrolls. So THAT blows. Now it's just Betty and Neera against the world - I need to grab Alora to be my thief, but I guess I'll take Quayle? I've never used him in a party before, so I'm interested in what he brings to the table.

Oof, that's rough. I remember a previous year had a similar situation where someone had lost a party member to petrification on one of the between-region ambush maps and couldn't get back to them.

Quayle is kinda adequate. At least, he has been in my run. If you're using EE his stats have been slightly boosted. One more AC from dex is ok. He's yet another wizard with no con bonus to HP, but at least he has half of his HP coming from cleric rolls to boost that slightly. Plus even 11 con is enough to give him shorty bonuses to saves. You won't miss necromancy wizard spells that much from the illusion specialization. Being able to innately cast invisibility on himself once as a special ability is kinda meh, but it does free up one spell slot. He's really disappointing as a cleric, though. Basically no bonus spells from that crummy 13 wisdom. I'd honestly recommend Tiax in his place if all you need is a cleric, but it looks like you're going for the Roleplayer honor. Best of luck!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Welp. Sorry for double-posting, but Theo the Ranger(!) has met his end at the hands of a slime fetishist.

So the Nashkel Mines were a breeze. Dorn still got nailed by Mulahey's Rigid Thinking, but I managed to slip the rest of the party away from him to wait out the duration. Xan didn't have that foresight, though, and ended up going down. Whoops!

The Amazons were touch-and-go there for a little bit. I ignored the advice to blow the cloudkill scroll on them despite that being probably the best use for it. Quayle wasn't up to summoning skelebros just yet, but soon!! But they were defeated with no casualties. Between the mines and the amazons resources were close to dry, but I figured all the major threats were done with or behind a screen transition so I could clear out the rest of the overworld before resting. Maybe get a level and assign a new spell slot so it'd be properly memorized.

Then Narcillicus Harwilliger Neen showed up. The guy who's crazy about slimes?

I forgot all about this guy. Sure my party was hurting and their positioning was all way off, but this guy was never a threat before. Just dink him before he gets his first spell off then mage HP will do the rest. I pick the usual conversation options that makes him stick around with some high EXP value allies. Except with all my hard hitters slightly behind, nobody can nail him before he gets off an improved invisibility. Then the mustard slimes nail the squishiest of my party. Then he opens up with a lightning bolt. Then I think a fire arrow. Rip, Theo. Rip that 98 roll. : (

Woof.

Anyway, next try will be something different like I promised. I've never used a cleric/mage combo outside of dabbling with Aerie and Quayle. I kinda want to see how well the combo can really sing, so I'm gonna make my own with all the benefits of being a PC.

Verity the half elf half cleric half mage woke up in Candlekeep

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sorry for your loss. I haven't played Scooby Doo in a week despite him still being alive and well. I think losing Fred Flintstone to Kangaxx really bummed me out. I'm hoping to get back into things and beat BG1 again soon. Sorc is probably my favorite class and what I consider probably the strongest class so I have high hopes for this run.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The continued adventures of Arco (cheesetriangles, it's Arco, not Acro!), the halfling cleric of Helm

Finally got around to doing the amazon area. Solved them the same way as I always do: copious amounts of fireballs. Ted, sorry about your loss in this area. Mustard jellies are surprisingly nasty!

Arco hits level 7 and gets a max HP roll! 62 HP now out of a possible 70. Not bad at all! Still, could completely crap the bed on the next two rolls. Would be spectacular to get to 75 - 80 HP before going on the "every level is just +2 HP" plan...

Cleared out ALL the remaining wilderness areas and dungeons. Firewine's awful, but with the wand of sleep, a decent AC, and a scroll of magic protection, you can zip through it pretty easy.

Then went to Ulgoth's Beard figuring I'd do Shandalar's prison dungeon with the same strategy: scroll of magic protection on a well-armored fighter. Problem is, one of the first mages casts dimension door and reappears near the rest of the group with a VERY powerful fireball. Arco's got great saves and a fire resist ring so that wasn't a problem, but it maimed the hell out of everyone else. Fortunately, no other problems in the dungeon.

Then I went to Durlag's Tower to just clear out the Battle Horrors and Doom Guards patrolling the areas. Got Ike killed and I'm ready to do it. Except for the whole "Imoen needs a boatload of xp before Durlag's is even possible" part.

With nothing else to do, I headed to Baldur's Gate. Got the sea charts and I'm tempted to do that area--I think a potion of fire resist + absorption would let me handle the traps on Balduran's shipwreck. Also cleared out the sewers beneath Baldur's Gate before the game crashed loading a new zone.

Not much to do right now; just trying to get as much XP as I can before either Durlag's (certain death w/o a thief) or Candlekeep Catacombs (would forfeit some VERY valuable treasure without a thief).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Scooby Doo has defeated Sarevok.

I did some grinding on ankhegs to reach max level then went and main lined the end of the game.

The final fight was pretty drat easy if you use skull traps / invis characters to single pull the mage then more skull traps when you pull Sarevok. The Mage and Angelo both died instantly to skull traps.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Honorable Trader
Dishonors: None

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How do you not hit your own dudes with the skull trap? Semaj teleports right down the middle, doesn’t he?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No he teleports where the corpse is in the screenshot. Just slightly outside the the big skull in the middle. Just keep your party far enough away so you don't hit yourself as well as place the skull traps offset from where the teleports in so that they still trigger on the port in but are too far to damage you. Place the skull traps in roughly that area and he pops right away or maybe lives with very little health and dies quickly to melee before getting a spell off depending on how many traps you use. One of the keys to this strat is to use wands of fire to launch fireballs all over the room but not far enough to hit any of the enemies. You need to kill the bats I had gotten all the bats but apparently missed one and when it was time to pull Sarevok I lost traps to a bat. Thankfully I had 3 left over which was enough to instant kill Angelo.

If you send an npc up to Sarevok with that NPC invis Sarevok will do his dialogue but not attack and then Semaj teleports into your skull traps. After that set new skull traps(theres a limit of 5 active at a time) on the left hand side of the skull. Make sure when you pull Semaj you have party AI turned off so your puller doesn't try to shoot an arrow at Sarevok. After Semaj is dead have your puller lose invis give them the boots of speed and go and pull him. Then quickly walk back to the party lining up so when Sarevok chases you he will walk into the skull traps. Angelo dies pretty easy and then you just have Sarevok alone who 6 on 1 and half dead from skull traps he goes down easily.

It can also be very helpful when placing aoe's like skull traps to turn on aoe size indicators in the baldur.lua file .

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Interesting. I'm quite afraid of Semaj given how I lost my first ironman, so I might give that a shot.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Scooby Doo died in the stupidest way. Call Lightning from a druid who I could do nothing to because I had just wasted my action on stoneskin. A stoneskin I didn't even need because they weren't going to melee me.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So did Arco.

Went to werewolf island to get some more xp for Imoen. Forgot that you needed crazy amounts of burst damage to bring down the greater wolfwere. Didn’t have it since I wasn’t looting as I went for fear of traps. By the time I realized it was too late.

Lasted forever, but just didn’t have the burst damage to get the job done.

Will do one more run, of nothing but underdogs. Who sees the least use? Garrick? Xan? Faldorn? Skye? Eldoth?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Flint Stonington, the Dwarven Defender has had a long road to reach this point. He's been banished from home (twice!), electrocuted, fireballed, poisoned, and suffered countless slashes and arrows.

But, after the sacrifice of half his party in the ensuing fight, Flint finally managed to bury his axe in Sarevok's head, and he decided that, for now, that was enough.

As a side note, I've never actually beaten Baldur's Gate before, so this was a lot of fun!
Honors: Ironling, Purist, Honorable Trader, Battlemaster, Roleplayer

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 19, 2019

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ouch, you two. A double-whammy. This has me spooked enough to play it extra safe tonight.

FairGame, if you do go with the underdogs (and use a mod or something to make half of them available earlier than the actual city of Baldur's Gate), Eldoth might be a ton of fun to use. Those poison arrows he can generate are probably super deadly for the first half of the game.

And if you're getting people early, you gotta go with Tiax. I want to see that Ghast of his single-handedly clear out entire maps.

Capfalcon posted:

Flint Stonington, the Dwarven Defender has had a long road to reach this point. He's been banished from home (twice!), electrocuted, fireballed, poisoned, and suffered countless slashes and arrows.

But, after the sacrifice of half his party in the ensuing fight, Flint finally managed to bury his axe in Sarevok's head, and he decided that, for now, that was enough.

As a side note, I've never actually beaten Baldur's Gate before, so this was a lot of fun!
Honors: Ironling, Purist, Honorable Trader, Battlemaster, Roleplayer

Hey, congrats on your Ironman win! Too bad about the half of your party that croaked, but I bet you have the dosh to revive them now that Sarevok is dead and nothing bad will ever happen again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crick Watson has conquered the Cloakwood. (Except for the mines.)

When last we left our heroes, they'd mopped up most of the West Sword Coast except for the archaeological dig.

Oh, it's that sort of archaeological dig.

I mean, we could do that or we could trade it to a ghost for a really lovely magic sword. Just saying.

Oh, it's that sort of curse beyond belief.

We take down the Doomsayer, rescue Brage from his own inner (and outer) demons, and then we're off to the Cloakwood.

Another Ascalon quest. Her son's been kidnapped and we're off to murder his kidnappers anyway, so this is kind of a no-brainer. (I think there are opportunities to hold him for ransom if you're a bit of a bastard, which we are not.)

Normally I'd let the druids have this rear end in a top hat, but with the BG1NPC project installed and Jaheira in the party...

You can negotiate a peaceful solution.

Of course there are strings attached. Some very long-winded Shadow Druid shaped strings.

And someone who might possibly be Jaheira's ex? One day I need to bring Khalid along just to see his reaction to all of this.

Anyway, the Shadow Druids are on the way, so we head onward, confident of our path through the

...yeah.

We go to Spider Hell. I deal with the web traps first, the slow way (by having Imoen go invisible and disarm them all).

SCS adds one potentially lethal ability to some spiders; the ability to throw web projectiles around that can paralyze your dudes. Paralysis and poison is not a good combination and I drat near lost Crick here. But we prevailed in the end and Isra got Spider's Bane.

If Jaheira weren't with me, these random encounters would be a bit more interactive, but as it is, there are like three "Shadow Druid jumps out of the trees, reads a twenty minute speech at you, and then attacks." encounters.

One of these days I'll pick up Faldorn...but not today.

There was, in fact, a certain amount of talking, though not much negotiation.

We get through and head on to the fourth area, where we find Beador, one of the missing druids we're searching for, surrounded by Shadow Druids. Once we rescue him, he sends us back to the Shadow Archdruid's treehouse...

Where we meet the other Shadow Archdruid.

He eventually surrenders, and I don't think it matters much if you accept or not. We do though.

The other missing druid is inside, and we head back to report to Seniyad.

I loving love the Cloakwood.

And after all that, Seniyad rewards us with...a magic club. Hooray.

We head back on our way, up to the fourth Cloakwood area. There's nothing much of note here other than the hamadryad fight, which is annoying but we get it done. And the wyvern cave, which we'll get to in a sec. But nothing else, reall-

...the gently caress are you?!?

(I'm not being facetious. I don't know which mod added this encounter and I wasn't expecting it. Not too bad, though.)

This, on the other hand, was nearly a disaster. You can't see them yet, but in addition to the usual contingent of wyverns, there are two Greater Wyverns and a Fire Drake in here. The Greater Wyverns are rough, but we (mostly Isra) beats them down in the end. The Fire Drake is surprisingly not that difficult, though if Isra weren't immune to fire I suspect the story would have been different.

We get some extra loot at least, most notably a magic returning dart for Crick. (Despite the name it's not got any particular wizard slaying powers, except, you know, being a magic returning dart in the hands of a wizard slayer.)

Finally, we have these assholes. Imoen introduces herself to one of the spellcasters with a backstab, but doesn't kill him the whole way. Note to self, get Dagger of Venom for Imoen.

Drasus is a bit of a monster, but we win the day in the end, mostly by throwing wave after wave of summoned monsters at the wizards to vent their confusions and charm sequencers on so we can murder them in peace.

Next time: the mines themselves.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

cheesetriangles posted:

Scooby Doo died in the stupidest way. Call Lightning from a druid who I could do nothing to because I had just wasted my action on stoneskin. A stoneskin I didn't even need because they weren't going to melee me.

poo poo!

FairGame posted:

So did Arco.

gently caress!

Update from Montarno, the hobbit fighter/thief, last seen clearing the bandit camp. Money is a little tight because we have not had the best reputation, but we chased down some high value loot like the Helm of Glory and other stuff and got enough cash together to buy the fancy thief studded at Thunderhammer's, went into Cloakwood. I just kind of beeline through and don't bother with much in there, I did get the Spider's Bane although I don't have anyone too good with 2H swords. Shar Teel can use it with no proficiency for the Free Action.

The druids that attack Aldeth gave me trouble, the one that Montarno was fighting cast Call Lightning and it struck her for 28 damage, which was half because she was wearing Mulahey's boots, otherwise the 56 would have killed her since I think she had 49 at that time. I might just put all the elemental resist stuff on Montarno to keep things safe.

I like to rest at the top of the Cloakwood mines before entering, but you do get disturbed by guards there. I got disturbed once, killed them, rested again, got disturbed again. In the second fight I got distracted because my needy cat was bugging me and one of the guards walked over and slew Edwin, who was trying to mind his own business. I could probably do the mine without him but I don't want to get caught out so I decided to go get him raised.

Hiked all the way out to the Friendly Arm, ambushed by spiders but no wyverns, raise Edwin, hike back in, ambushed by Ettercaps, again by Ettercaps, by Huge Spiders while resting, again by spiders while resting, and made it back to the mine's entrance finally, 6 days of hiking later. It's nice that you can slaughter all the guards up there, peace out for 6 days, and they don't do anything about it.

I got down to the third level so far and killed the woman mage and the ogre mage. The Ogre Mage managed to cast confusion and got Kagain, Montarno and Viconia but they didn't hurt each other too bad thankfully while we waited it out, and Montarno gets a +1 katana finally. I got to stop there for tonight before Dava E Orn.

When I had Edwin killed I didn't want to play anymore right then so I made a new character, welcome Blailey, a dwarven fighter/cleric. I wanted to play fighter/cleric for Montarno but for some reason Hobbits can't be that role.

Blailey has a roll of 90 and should be a tough character, I got out of Candlekeep (how many times have we watched Gorion die?) got Xzar and Montaron and Imoen, and went on towards the Friendly Arm.

Transitioning between the Coast Road and the Friendly Arm, we got this great random encounter:

I was like Oh snap, that's it for Blailey! But we tried to run out of there:

and we made it with Imoen dead and Xzar at 1 HP (because of the Quick Loot bar I was able to grab her stuff as we left. Definitely a bit cheesy because I probably wouldn't have gotten it if I had to get a character to it.)

Whew! I wasn't even going to write about Blailey and just save the game for later but I had to tell you guys that one. We got to the Inn, and I wasn't sure you could get to the temple without Tarnesh seeing you but you can. I raised Imoen and took on Tarnesh, but Blailey is a cleric so I just did Command on him since he doesn't have no 6 hit dice, he went down and me and Montaron beat him to death while he slept. Extremely sporting but he is Another Assassin:

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 19, 2019

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

Ok, Montarno finished the Cloakwood Mines. Davaeorn was kind of tough. I sometimes have trouble with him because of his Fireballs and Lightning Bolts in a confined area, so I came to the conclusion it was wise to use the two potions that block spells level 1-5 that drop from the Amazons and at the Bandit Camp on two characters and send them in after him. The potions last 5 rounds but all of his nasty spells are level 1-5. It's pretty reliable but this time I couldn't finish him off fast enough and he reappeared with a 2nd mirror image up while Edwin had run out of magic missiles and the 5 rounds was done. I brought in the rest of the troops trying to finish Davaeorn off, but he was casting something and it looked dicey..

Thankfully he fell before he got the spell off, to Shar Teel's arrow. She got basic longbow proficiency now and it's nice. That thing happened where the wizard is already dead and then a Flame Strike from the wand of the heavens hits them, I love that :D

Now we're off to Baldur's Gate, hurrah! I think I'm going to have Viconia use the gauntlets of ogre power, that should be funny.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

George Jetson the human berseker has defeated Sarevok!

About half an hour with an auto roller.

Axes.

Melicamp has lived every single time for me this year.

Silke goes down easily.

I ride solo til level 7.

Grab a party, kill Ankhegs to level up dual class Imoen at level 6, kill 400 more Ankhegs to get her thief levels back before doing Nashkel mines.

Bandit's go down easy.

I spent about 20 minutes real time trying to rest outside this room before I finally could.

Some skull traps I used to kill Semaj.

Things almost end in disaster when Imoen goes too far west when pulling Sarevok and sets off a web trap. Thankfully Angelo sends a dispel magic at her as well and it dispels us and we burn down Sarevok in a few seconds.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Honorable Trader, Iron Party
Dishonors: None

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Wow you can do that in a snap. Pretty much skipping almost all side content except for Melicamp?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I did the priestess in Wryms Crossing, captain Barge, Marl, the lost "dog", Melicamp, Neera's encounter in Beregost for the gem bag, the thing with Firebeard for the scroll case, Silke, Greywolf and the sculptor guy and the crazy necromancer cleric buy in Red Canyons who's name I forget. All of these were done solo except for Greywolf so I could get full XP and not split it. Once I was above 32,000 xp (the maximum amount the game will auto level your companions in BG1 not counting Siege of Dragonspear) I could have gotten a party but I went and grinded on some Ankhegs instead to get to level 7. Then I went and got a party and killed Dynaheir to secure Edwin and then went and did Greywolf to get Khalid's +2 longsword and did Baskilisks to level people up, then some of the upper part of Durlags Tower to get the wisdom tome and the +2 Scimatar for Jaheria. After that it was Ankhegs until Imoen was level 6 thief and then I dualed her to mage and spent the next 2 hours irl there until she got her thief levels back. I did the math and I probably killed about 700 Ankhegs. Once everyone was leveled I just kinda blitzed the main quest and the only optional thing I did was Ramzah and the dryad or whatever to get the INT tome and I went to the Helm and Cloak and just directly grabbed the Helm of Balduran and didn't bother to do the actual quest for the cloak.

The whole thing was done in one marathon session and took about 7 hours.

Once I got to BG2 I did the opening dungeon pretty standard then went and sold all the gear I didn't need at the Adventure Mart and kicked Yohshimo from the party. Myself Jaheria and Misnc went to do the Circus and I dual'd to mage as soon I was done talking to the djinn on the bridge and let Minsc and Jaheria handle the rest of the Circus. Afterwards I kicked both of them and went and bought 2 potions of master thievery and headed to Slums to meet mr Coo. Left him bought 3 more potions of master thievery went outside told the kid I wanted to go the nearest inn where I picked up Yoshimo again talked to the owner got the Gloves of Pick Pocketing and we went to the docks to sell and steal the Helm of Balduran over and over to get some seed money used that to buy the Plate of Balduran along with Robe of Vecna and some other assorted goods. Then back to stealing. The Plate of Balduran sells for 10,500 the Helm only sells for about 2,500. I did this until I had around 5 million gold kicked Yoshimo out bought some INT potions and scribed spells until I had my berseker levels back. I needed to sell the Plate of Balduran about 500 times which takes about 2000 clicks and really hurt my arm irl. Hope any of this helps someone.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 20, 2019

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

That's a really cool rundown. It's interesting how different people's approaches are and how many ways you can approach things while ending up doing the same thing basically.

Thanks for running the thread and keeping the OP so updated as well, it's always funny reading through those things.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, turns out skalds aren't very interesting AND between that and a squad of rejects, I never really bothered to go past Tarnesh. So instead, let's meet Arris, human enchanter.

Why an enchanter? Because while apparently it's been coded since the original BG2, all specialist mage kits get a -2 bonus to the saves enemies need to do for spells of that kit.

And in a game where sleep and hold are just obscenely powerful, tacking on another -2 seems really good. And I"ve never really played a mage before.

I...don't really understand what happened here. Other than "guess I'm not using Garrick." Why did Arris get a bunch of bonus lightning resist? Saved his life.

Visited the carnival because I want Branwen and Ajantis (for tanking, and Ajantis comes with bastard sword specialization and it turns out THAT IS IMPORTANT VS. KAROUG. Saw the sights. Killed the dude. Sold the Ring of Wizardry so I could head to High Hedge and pick up the wand of sleep and the wand of fear. Not happy about it, but the wands are more valuable early on than the ring. I'll buy it back later when I've got 20 rep. Anyway, that also means I have a wand of fire.

Was thinking about taking Dorn, but Ajantis seemed REALLY opposed to it. And was wearing my Ankheg full plate and the necklace of missiles from the carnival. Also, I had to kite like crazy to keep Dorn from killing himself on the aganazzar's scorcher coming out of Arris' wand. Half-orc's got a death wish.

Branwen held the line with her summoned hammer while everyone else took care of Mulahey.

Very few enemies can handle 2 scorchers (one from the wand, one from Neera's cast.) Just gotta be REAL careful not to hit my own dudes with it.

Arris scorchered NIMBUL to death, but not before he got horrified. Had the shield amulet to protect against magic missile barrage, but was VERY nervous that Arris would run around terrified with the gout of flame coming out of him and wreck a bunch of civilians (and my reputation). Fortunately, he didn't.

Branwen got her revenge against the mage who turned her to stone. Kivan didn't get his revenge since Tazok wasn't in the bandit camp. But I cleared it, anyway. Or, more accurately, Taugosz Khosann cleared it for me. See my previous point about enchantment and charm/sleep/hold.

Sometimes druids get spells off even when they should be interrupted. Thank goodness Arris was wearing the boots of grounding. Fled into the cabin. Took care of the druids with Coran while he had a potion of absorption on.

The scariest thing? The archdruid got off an insect plague and I wasn't sure how long it was gonna last. Turned out ok though.

Killed the wyverns (fully cleared all 4 Cloakwood areas) so that Coran could complete his quest. Everyone in the party is permanently staying and has no timer I have to worry about now. I didn't head into the Cloakwood Mines, though.Turned back around and I'm now questing around the wilderness. Need to pick up a few things (a wand of fire from Ulcaster, the gauntlets of dexterity, the gauntlets of specialization, gauntlets of archery, etc. Also want some more gold so I can buy back Evermemory. And the archmagi robes for Arris and Neera.

Basilisk area down; not really much to be afraid of for a while. Probably won't head to the Cloakwood Mines until I've done literally everything else outside of TotSC and BG City stuff.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Eat poo poo

You too

Verity has cleared the Nashkel Mines and is now firmly in chapter 3.

Also Melicamp lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

George Jetson did Trademeet, nearly had a heart attack when I got insect swarmed and temporarily lost control of my solo character but thankfully only lasted a few seconds. Did thieves guild, Copper Coronet, circus, cleared the thugs in the sewers, bridge murders, Harpers Hold(not Jaheria's part), the fallen paladins, Pebblecrusher, intelligent sword, the Coweled Wizard in Umar Hills golem thing and I think that about covers it? Got to level 9 berserker/ 14 mage and cast a limited wish for a powerful magical item which the full plate mail +2 will be helpful for the party I am about to form.