Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HopperUK posted:

Robert Pattinson read the Edward book and based his performance on it which is why he hates the character so much

Yeah, my Twilight thread brought it up occasionally and Edward is completely inhuman. He’s always just barely restraining himself from going on a murder spree at any given time, and the reason he was acting ao oddly toward Bella on her first day is because he was prepping himself to slaughter the entire classroom just to drink her blood. He’s also totally reliant on his ability to read minds to get through social situations and is extremely frustrated that he needs to talk to Bella like normal instead of invading her privacy as well.

Edward is even more awful than the pop culture stereotype of him. In New Moon when he thinks Bella is dead he seriously contemplates using a mass murder to get the Volturi to kill him, despite vampires going up like gasoline in a fire. He spent years as a serial killer because he hated Carlisle’s restrictions on drinking human blood. He’s always on the verge of starting a war somewhere or killing random people.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Is it odd that those facts kinda make me like the character a bit more. Not because I particularly like mass murder, but that this vampire is thinking about doing vampiry things?

Sparkling in sunlight seems less egregious when it's an adaptation to attract teenaged food, like an angler fish's light.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Djeser posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Also third person for the woman and first person for the man is so ridiculously on the nose re: sexism that I'd like to believe it's on purpose, even though it probably isn't. Is that a romance novel/fanfiction trope at all, or is that a James original?

It’s usually the opposite in romance, which this isn’t exactly, but I think this is just her having only the one idea.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Is it odd that those facts kinda make me like the character a bit more. Not because I particularly like mass murder, but that this vampire is thinking about doing vampiry things?

Sparkling in sunlight seems less egregious when it's an adaptation to attract teenaged food, like an angler fish's light.

Just reminds me that he is supposed to be a Lestat clone and how poorly he measures up even among other copies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is a lot of that just makes him more the perfect 00s era fan fiction bad boy stereotype.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

there wolf posted:

Just reminds me that he is supposed to be a Lestat clone and how poorly he measures up even among other copies.

Speaking of Lestat, you should read the last few books for this thread. Vampires stumbling upon replicants left behind by bird aliens and having them make clones to shove ghosts into.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dienes posted:

Speaking of Lestat, you should read the last few books for this thread. Vampires stumbling upon replicants left behind by bird aliens and having them make clones to shove ghosts into.

That sounds almost like a Metroid plot. (Magic and ghosts are even canon and Metroids are basically xenomorph-vampires)

There's some fun to be had with the idea of a fantasy setting, whether ancient/medieval or modern, progressing to the point where it becomes sci-fi.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's some fun to be had with the idea of a fantasy setting, whether ancient/medieval or modern, progressing to the point where it becomes sci-fi.

Early computer rpgs were really big on this. You'd spend 90 percent of the game in a fantasy setting, then the last bit is sci-fi out of the blue. See the original Ultima, or Might and Magic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Domus posted:

Early computer rpgs were really big on this. You'd spend 90 percent of the game in a fantasy setting, then the last bit is sci-fi out of the blue. See the original Ultima, or Might and Magic.

Or Final Fantasy's final dungeon on a satellite with death robots. Or everything Phantasy Star.

Considering how wildly prevalent it was its weird it hasn't penetrated public consciousness that there were fewer games that actually played fantasy settings straight in early video games.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
That awful James thing is, according to jenny trout, a straight up modern retelling of Poldark but somehow much, much worse

I couldn't even finish reading the review of it, my eyes started to glaze over about 8-9 parts in because I hated every character so much

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Then you have the Star Ocean games, where the main character starts off in a sci-fi universe but ends up stranded on a medieval planet for at least half of the game.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Never thought about it this way, interesting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Remember how Edward’s plan to have the Volturi kill him ends up being to expose himself as sparkling in the sunlight in their hometown? When in reality anyone would just go “Why did that weird guy cover himself in body glitter and start dramatically prostrating himself on the architecture?” before going about their day without a second thought.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Domus posted:

Pen and paper RPGs, too. There's more than one old-school D&D module that suddenly turns out to involve crashed spaceships or laser guns.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Fantasy world suddenly incorporating spaceships sounds like some Weird Tales poo poo. Like I feel like that came out of Pulp magazines long before it ever turned up in games.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

there wolf posted:

Fantasy world suddenly incorporating spaceships sounds like some Weird Tales poo poo. Like I feel like that came out of Pulp magazines long before it ever turned up in games.

That's exactly it, actually. Fantasy and sci-fi used to be the same genre, which is where the crosspollination comes from. It's only from the 80s on that they became separate things, and having sci-fi trappings in fantasy began to feel out of place. This is happening at the same time as games are being developed, so your first wave of Western RPGs have the mixture, and then JRPGs picked it up in turn. It's just that with a different cultural discourse, it never stopped being a thing for JRPGs.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’ll never forget the sheer joy at the end of Might & Magic 6, with a full party with laser rifles obliterating everything. It really felt like a victory lap after dealing with that loving pyramid.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know if it's, like, a mix of of both genres or if it's considered a genre of its own, but my old school library was full of scifi/fantasy mashups where you're fighting dragons with laser rifles and robots with axes. Also Pern books.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I don't know if it's, like, a mix of of both genres or if it's considered a genre of its own, but my old school library was full of scifi/fantasy mashups where you're fighting dragons with laser rifles and robots with axes. Also Pern books.

That's the thing. They both used to just be the same genre. They were all science fiction, then fantasy got ghettoized and kicked out of the club.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We must reunite what was once torn apart! Step one: the next GRRM novel should be interrupted by a hostile spacecraft. Step two: stop pretending the Jedi aren't wizards. Step three: make it pulpier.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Domus posted:

It happened in World of Warcraft too. The series had some tech for a while (steam tanks and gyrocopters and submarines etc) but the first expac introduced a race that travelled the universe in crystal spaceships.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It happened in World of Warcraft too. The series had some tech for a while (steam tanks and gyrocopters and submarines etc) but the first expac introduced a race that travelled the universe in crystal spaceships.

And then it was revealed humanity and its related peoples -- gnomes, dwarves, and others -- used to be golem-robots (especially gnomes, who were literal robots) built by star-faring world-sized titans to terraform lost worlds in the hopes of awakening more slumbering titans. It's a cool idea, ruined by Blizzard's reactionary racist politics and their inability to quell the rising tide of Nazism in their lovely, lovely fanbase.

Seriously, it really was a cool idea, the theme of godlike robots is something that I'd love to see used more often.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Screaming Idiot posted:

And then it was revealed humanity and its related peoples -- gnomes, dwarves, and others -- used to be golem-robots (especially gnomes, who were literal robots) built by star-faring world-sized titans to terraform lost worlds in the hopes of awakening more slumbering titans. It's a cool idea, ruined by Blizzard's reactionary racist politics and their inability to quell the rising tide of Nazism in their lovely, lovely fanbase.

Seriously, it really was a cool idea, the theme of godlike robots is something that I'd love to see used more often.

Wait, what happened? I don't play the game or pay much attention to Blizzard news in general.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Toast Museum posted:

Wait, what happened? I don't play the game or pay much attention to Blizzard news in general.

The entire basis of Warcraft is "these races will always hate each other, they'll come together sometimes against a bigger foe, but in the end they're just eternal enemies." Every race is an exaggerated offensive racial stereotype -- with trolls and goblins being the most egregious -- and the most recent expansion opened with all Horde players literally being accessories to attempted genocide and repeated war crimes while the blonde-haired blue-eyed god-emperor of humanity has to sigh and be reasonable and give the orders necessary to put down the "green-skinned mongrels," a line one of the Alliance commanders literally says.

Whole thing's a racist wet-dream and I genuinely regret being involved with it for as long as I was.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

there wolf posted:

I am quite sure that you are correct about that. Take such an influential author as HP Lovecraft, for example; while usually labeled "horror" these days most of his stories were grounded in (his off-brand understanding of) a scientific worldview, with advanced inhuman inscrutable alien races doing weird poo poo with little regard for human existence.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

The entire basis of Warcraft is "these races will always hate each other, they'll come together sometimes against a bigger foe, but in the end they're just eternal enemies." Every race is an exaggerated offensive racial stereotype -- with trolls and goblins being the most egregious -- and the most recent expansion opened with all Horde players literally being accessories to attempted genocide and repeated war crimes while the blonde-haired blue-eyed god-emperor of humanity has to sigh and be reasonable and give the orders necessary to put down the "green-skinned mongrels," a line one of the Alliance commanders literally says.

Whole thing's a racist wet-dream and I genuinely regret being involved with it for as long as I was.
When does Blizzard sucking up to China beating down people in a city come into play in the story?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

HopperUK posted:

Robert Pattinson read the Edward book and based his performance on it which is why he hates the character so much

Some theorize he’s responsible for leaking Midnight Sun in an attempt to derail it. Unlikely though, since bits of Breaking Dawn were leaked as well because Meyer couldn’t resist sharing early drafts with friends and you’d think she’d learned her lesson sooner. Her statement regarding the abandoned perspective novel puts all blame on the public and takes none for herself. At least JKR had the sense to lock Harry Potter ending work in a safe deposit box for years.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Some theorize he’s responsible for leaking Midnight Sun in an attempt to derail it. Unlikely though, since bits of Breaking Dawn were leaked as well because Meyer couldn’t resist sharing early drafts with friends and you’d think she’d learned her lesson sooner. Her statement regarding the abandoned perspective novel puts all blame on the public and takes none for herself. At least JKR had the sense to lock Harry Potter ending work in a safe deposit box for years.

Part of it is also because she seems to have little knowledge or interests outside of a very specific wheelhouse. She knew nothing about cars, for instance, so all the stuff about cars was from her gearhead brothers (giant Mormon family). The first book was never meant to be published and was a private thing she did for fun, and the original sequel was meant to be given to her sister before it suddenly got popular and she had to actually write for the public again.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Croccers posted:

When does Blizzard sucking up to China beating down people in a city come into play in the story?

Plz don't spoil the plot of Overwatch 2

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Part of it is also because she seems to have little knowledge or interests outside of a very specific wheelhouse. She knew nothing about cars, for instance, so all the stuff about cars was from her gearhead brothers (giant Mormon family). The first book was never meant to be published and was a private thing she did for fun, and the original sequel was meant to be given to her sister before it suddenly got popular and she had to actually write for the public again.

A lot about Twilight makes sense considering it's from a bored Mormon housewife.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Screaming Idiot posted:

An invisible man
Sleepin' in your bed
Who ya gonna call?
NUTBUSTERS!

https://youtu.be/0tdyU_gW6WE

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I only know so much about WoW since my wife used to be huge into it, but I thought the whole point was that the Horde is so antagonistic specifically because they were so mistreated by the Alliance. Since they're orcs and goblins and whatnot aka "weird ugly races". I always figured it was supposed to be an anti-racism message.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I only know so much about WoW since my wife used to be huge into it, but I thought the whole point was that the Horde is so antagonistic specifically because they were so mistreated by the Alliance. Since they're orcs and goblins and whatnot aka "weird ugly races". I always figured it was supposed to be an anti-racism message.

That's the message like half the time. The rest of the time you have go full genocidal monster for no real reason so the noble and virtuous Alliance can save them from themselves.

And recently there have been two separate expansions that ended up with the Horde being taken over by thinly veiled Nazi analogues committing genocide for reasons of racial purity/because a dying person sassed them.

And to be clear the story has people going 'gosh I can't believe the genocide they're committing'

Basically WoW is a huge loving mess and actually reckoning with any of it would be insane because holy poo poo.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The thing that always kind of unnerved me was that elves are descended from trolls that got "uplifted" and then the trolls are just still voodoo savages. Not that they're just an evolutionarily related species, because that would be fine, but elves got all magicked up and then became a superior race.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda weird given iirc the Horde also has elves who got even more hosed up on magic.

Blizzard's always had a real blind spot for 'noble savage' in general and 'voodoo shaman mystic' stereotype in particular being waaay out of date. Though I must admit the Witch Doctor was the first interesting thing about Diablo III I saw, maybe just out of novelty.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Without getting into the diarrhea-flooded mire that is WoW lore, it is actually a pro-racism message in the end. "A place for everyone, and everyone in their place. When people go to different places with different people, war and hatred and endless violence occurs. It's also good this happens, because it keeps them strong, so when a different outside group comes they can be killed even faster and harder."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda weird given iirc the Horde also has elves who got even more hosed up on magic.

Blizzard's always had a real blind spot for 'noble savage' in general and 'voodoo shaman mystic' stereotype in particular being waaay out of date. Though I must admit the Witch Doctor was the first interesting thing about Diablo III I saw, maybe just out of novelty.

arent those trolls? idk i havent played warcraft since II

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Krankenstyle posted:

arent those trolls? idk i havent played warcraft since II

Yeah the trolls have Jamaican accents (which the game makes a joke about at some point)

And the Tauren are vaguely Native American, which probably doesn't help.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah the trolls have Jamaican accents (which the game makes a joke about at some point)

And the Tauren are vaguely Native American, which probably doesn't help.

why even make the races analogue to irl peoples, thats pretty weird tbh

except for making dwarves scottish, idk if they did that in warcraft but they did in myth so im ok with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Dwarves [with-a-v] have always been Scottish, and I have no idea who first did that; since it wasn't Tolkien for sure nor was it in early dwarf [but-with-an-f] films such as Snow White, Willow, etc. It probably wouldn't be too hard to find who first made Tolkien dwarves Scottish if you looked hard enough.