Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For real, when I was going through my mass survivor season binge earlier this year, the people in my life all seemed shocked to find out I was some sort of survivor superfreak. None of them realize how casual of a fan I am in comparison to real superfans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Be warned, Australian Survivor comes out like 8 times a week and every episode is 2 hours long. It's actually really good but I simply couldn't keep up last season, miss a week and it's so hard to catch back up.

What the gently caress lol I don't have time for that

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Masterchef Aussie is like that too. They must not have much to show during the week. It’s good stuff but real hard to keep up. Just one season is like 30 episodes.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
What Khanstant is saying is very much a caricature of how it really is. The episodes air a few times a week and they're around an hour (w/o commercials). It's far more of an old-school style Survivor in that while there are idols and all of the bullshit, you get to know the players a lot better.

Is it slower? Yes. Are there points that drone on? Yes. You're all watching S39 though so Aus Survivor could be a 3 hour show 40 times a week of people making GBS threads in buckets and it'd be better than this season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The last time I saw anyone poo poo in a bucket was when I last shat in a bucket. Looking at my reflection in the broken glass of discarded housing materials in a rickety shed facing a busy street, wondering, how it got to this and silently cursing my roommates who somehow reached adulthood not learning you shouldn't flush menstrual accouterments in the toilet.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Khanstant posted:

The last time I saw anyone poo poo in a bucket was when I last shat in a bucket. Looking at my reflection in the broken glass of discarded housing materials in a rickety shed facing a busy street, wondering, how it got to this and silently cursing my roommates who somehow reached adulthood not learning you shouldn't flush menstrual accouterments in the toilet.

An experience that sounds more enjoyable than viewing Survivor season 39.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SweetJahasus posted:

What Khanstant is saying is very much a caricature of how it really is. The episodes air a few times a week and they're around an hour (w/o commercials). It's far more of an old-school style Survivor in that while there are idols and all of the bullshit, you get to know the players a lot better.

Is it slower? Yes. Are there points that drone on? Yes. You're all watching S39 though so Aus Survivor could be a 3 hour show 40 times a week of people making GBS threads in buckets and it'd be better than this season.

I'm also only watching it for 45 minutes a week which even as bad as the season has been sounds vastly superior to double digit hours

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Invalid Validation posted:

Masterchef Aussie is like that too. They must not have much to show during the week. It’s good stuff but real hard to keep up. Just one season is like 30 episodes.

At least there's a regular pattern of days/challenges so you can skip strategically. I definitely don't watch all of the immunity episodes.

And this 50-episode season format for reality shows just seems to be what channel 10 does, but it's seasonal where MasterChef airs in the spring/summer, and survivor comes afterwards (at least it did this year). MasterChef keeps me interested but with Survivor it's a bit much. That said, everybody says season 2 rules so I'll probably check that out eventually.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Australian Survivor has been far more enjoyable than quite a few of the last seasons of US Survivor.

Sure a season is 24 60 minute episodes (after commercials are cut), but pretty much everything about it is more enjoyable than US Survivor.

Even with 24 players in the game, you actually get confessions from everybody and will actually know who people are by the 2nd or 3rd episode.

I would be willing to bet that the upcoming All Stars season will be far more enjoyable than the circle jerking All Winners season.

(The players are also in the game for like 50 days)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They even have a mix of some old school US challenges still with the Aussies. They had a challenge last season where it was just swimming against the current of a river...

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Also, it's all on the internet. Watch 15 minutes a month if you can't stomach the hours for it. I never watch it live anyway so I'm always behind on the Aussie seasons since I can't devote that time to it. Doesn't make it an un-enjoyable Survivor show.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
At this point I think this season is going to be it for me. I'm going to finish it out, purely out of anger, but I can't really see enjoying a Winner's Season after how incredibly awful everything was handled on this season.

Even the season's giant twist seems entirely arbitrary. I hope Rob and Sandra enjoyed their time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

They've tried to do this for several US show because it's cheaper than producing two different shows but I don't think they've been able to actually do it successfully for anything but the Bachelor and American Idol-likes (and in those cases it's so successful that they will reschedule/move sports around it).

That's actually been my problem following The Challenge this year is the hour and a half episodes are really rough to squeeze in if I fall behind and even though it's been a pretty good season I'm thinking now that I'll probably not catch up before I need the DVR space.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Adding another strong endorsement for Australian Survivor. When it's airing they pump out a few episodes per week, which admittedly can be tough to keep up with, but Khanstant was of course being hyperbolic. There are 24 episodes total (versus 13 in a US season), and a large part of that is because it's a longer game with more players, and the rest just helps you get to actually know the cast better. They have advantages and sometimes a twist too many but still let players play. Imagine Survivor 25-33 but expanded.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They even have a mix of some old school US challenges still with the Aussies. They had a challenge last season where it was just swimming against the current of a river...
This was so simple and creative. Two people, get in this fast moving river, and see who can swim longer without being pushed behind this line. Perfect

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Even with 24 players in the game, you actually get confessions from everybody and will actually know who people are by the 2nd or 3rd episode.
This most recent season they actually did give a few people purple edits, which kind of sucked... but overall yeah

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 16, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The production team for US Survivor has been slowly but obviously straying further and further from social strategy and the basic voting mechanic, which is the game's core DNA. It's like how we started out with wolves and now we've got dogs with bulged out eyes, hairless and small enough to put in your purse. Part of it no doubt is fueled by the show's permanent home in Fiji, because with no new location to feature, production feels compelled to add a season-defining twist instead. At the same time (and often in conjunction with the new twists), they've been adding more and different advantages every season. Allegedly this is to keep the game fresh, but at the rate Probst is injecting new advantages into the game, it looks more like he's a junkie with an ever increasing tolerance. In the end, it all amounts to a show that no longer has any confidence in its basic self. It's desperate.

This is what desperation looks like:

34 - Cirie gets voted out with zero votes
35 - Ben finds three idols in a row and then gets to make fire instead of being subjected to a pesky F4 vote
36 - Here we get Ghost Island, a set location that exists solely to spawn advantages
37 - Enter the "idol nullifier," a new advantage that targets a previous advantage
38 - A Ben-type run of nonsense is up-ended by something even dumber, Extinction Island
39 - Ghost Island is back, but this time in even bigger ratings grab form, and with even more advantages

David vs Goliath was still a great season, but that seems to be more the exception these days. Survivor, purely as a game, can't get stale any more than something like chess can. The real question is, do they want to keep making Survivor, or would they rather keep reaching for ratings gimmicks because they've already used the name "Survivor: Fiji" and because they don't know how to stop?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 17, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm just so burned out by Survivor that I can't imagine watching more Survivor that I have to like go out of my way to find. I need a break.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well if you’re hooked up with a :filez: link you’ve got the whole season on demand on one page with no commercials

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Australian Survivor is fun and does some stuff better than the US version but (whether due to padding big runtimes or due to a lower budget) the editing is a real mess. Almost every confessional is spliced together much more noticeably than in the US show, to the point where someone will start a confessional in one place, “continue” their confessional as it cuts to camp life, and then go back to the confessional and the player is in a completely different location (despite all this being edited to one sentence). It’s really hard to get a feel on any given player’s strategy or even personality as a result because we never really get to hear them talk uninterrupted for more than a few words at a time. It’s all just generic stuff like “I have to vote out Luke— for my game— but it may make more sense to keep him— because I have to do what’s right for my game.”

FWIW I recall this being a much bigger issue in the 2018 and 2019 seasons, although I don’t know if I just didn’t notice it in the 2016/17 ones or if it wasn’t as prevalent.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Christian loving stole that whole season. Him talking to Jeff for like an hour during a challenge was amazing.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Christian loving stole that whole season. Him talking to Jeff for like an hour during a challenge was amazing.

It was 6 hours lol

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What a fuckin trooper.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Reunion attendance spoilers: Apparently Jack and Elizabeth won’t be there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Someone's gonna write a book on whatever the gently caress was wrong with the Survivor 39 cast.

It will be titled "We Really Should Have Slept On 39."

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ron and Sandra have been super wasted, I mean wasn't the last thing literally jut a coin flip? There has to be a better way to include them

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CODChimera posted:

Ron and Sandra have been super wasted, I mean wasn't the last thing literally jut a coin flip? There has to be a better way to include them

Yea... their existence on the season seems to be purely an afterthought to convince them to join up on the all winner season 40. Pretty much they didn't provide anything more than what Survivors got with Ghost Island.

(Unless of course there is some sort of twist involving them in the game in the finale, but seems unlikely)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

Reunion attendance spoilers: Apparently Jack and Elizabeth won’t be there.

No Jack is curious. Elizabeth not being there is fine with me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

No Jack is curious. Elizabeth not being there is fine with me.

Rumour is that they're dating so it's out of solidarity.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

Who's Ron?
I think they both wanted more $$$ to participate in S40, and this was a way the producers could pay them without the rest of the S40 cast complaining or also negotiating (eg, "If Rob is getting more than standard rate for a Winner's Season, then so should my client ______". )
But they couldn't have Sandra and Rob influence the game or help individual players too much, so made them the method in which IOI rewards were handed out.

And yes they should have been included more; one more production error was the decision to pretend to keep them secret for the entire game instead of announcing them to the players right from the start. Or at the merge.
All for the useless and repetitive reaction shots of each new player arriving at the IOI beach.

STAC Goat posted:

Someone's gonna write a book on whatever the gently caress was wrong with the Survivor 39 cast.

It will be titled "We Really Should Have Slept On 39."
If Dan had been given a real warning on Day 1 (or booted) when Kellee first complained about him, a lot of the problems could have been avoided.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Season 41 needs the ever present show staff to take a cue from Arrested Development...

The way this season is going it will be hilarious when Tommy wins and didn't find out Rob and Sandra were there until he got home. They'll maybe have them asking questions at final tribal though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

Rumour is that they're dating so it's out of solidarity.
That's pretty dumb... if Missy can show up then Elizabeth shouldn't need someone to stay home and forfeit their pay to hold her hand, she should suck it up and go too.

Missy is going to end up getting to say "sorry, game mode game mode sorry game mode" to rehab her image while Elizabeth is just conspicuously absent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My complete and total guess is that Elizabeth being a celebrity pre-Survivor and having a following/agent/publicist/etc just wants this to go away so figures if she skips it she doesn't get asked any questions that could make things worse and gambles that her part in it is an after thought. While Missy is probably more operating on her own and might still be that "I didn't vote for you!/I like who I see when I look in the mirror, do you?" person we saw on the show she wants to confront it and/or thinks she can come out ahead.

I dunno. gently caress all of em.

If Jack's skipping the finale out of solidarity to one of the cowards/villains that's pretty much a closer on my opinion of him.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

“Sorry I enabled a sexual harasser to further my game” is a pretty gross look. Not being there to even say that is worse. Nobody looks good in this season, all the decent people that were early ‘threat’ vote outs must be thanking the gods they didn’t get caught up in this poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Taint posted:

“Sorry I enabled a sexual harasser to further my game” is a pretty gross look. Not being there to even say that is worse.

It's worse to people closely following survivor, it's totally unnoticed or plausibly deniable to her previous fanbase.

Not saying it's the right thing to do

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh hey Dan finally broke media silence.

It’s very generic ‘blah blah, I’m deeply sorry’ stuff. Apparently his big apology plan to do it live got yanked out when he was uninvited from the reunion.

Just as well, we don’t need another Varner or ‘let’s try to make Dawn forgive Brenda on live TV!’ situation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Bloop posted:

It's worse to people closely following survivor, it's totally unnoticed or plausibly deniable to her previous fanbase.

Not saying it's the right thing to do

Yeah. She'll turn her social media back on in a few months and re-engage with her pre-existing fanbase and 99% of them won't know or care about the Survivor stuff. And that's maybe the math, because if she went and addressed it then there might be a new round of attention and clips of her talking about it (and probably not looking great doing so).

nerox
May 20, 2001

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh hey Dan finally broke media silence.

It’s very generic ‘blah blah, I’m deeply sorry’ stuff. Apparently his big apology plan to do it live got yanked out when he was uninvited from the reunion.

Just as well, we don’t need another Varner or ‘let’s try to make Dawn forgive Brenda on live TV!’ situation.

quote:

poo poo Dan says:

“I am deeply sorry for how my actions affected Kellee during the taping of this season of Survivor"
"I truly regret that anyone was made to feel uncomfortable by my behavior"

Again it's "Sorry how you feel." Not an apology for his actions at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I for one am shocked that the rear end in a top hat who repeatedly did the same thing with different women and scolded Jeff for even bringing it up and painted himself as the victim and abandoned all traditional media and went into hiding for a month+ gave a lovely, half rear end apology.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You can tell this is the sort of thing that's gotten him through many an HR scrape in the past

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I actually figured he was suing the show or something and would therefore never even attempt to apologize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

I actually figured he was suing the show or something and would therefore never even attempt to apologize

So far so good on that front then