Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have literally zero questions remaining from it I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

I'm starting to suspect "mystery box" doesn't actually mean anything

Adrian's whole thing was a mystery box. The explanation for it is underwhelming and just feels like Lindeloff watched the first season of Westworld right before writing the show. The clocktower is a mystery box, the explanation was just the same as another loving macguffin they revealed two episodes ago. And on and on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So your definition is "thing that isn't explained immediately"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My only question is "will there be another season?"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

So your definition is "thing that isn't explained immediately"?

Yes, and that is obfuscated from the audience to encourage speculation. A mystery box is not bad in and of itself. It's the fact that Lindeloff is more concerned with the speculation part more than the satisfying answer part that is the issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The clock wasn't implied to be anything more than just a clock until 1 episode before they revealed what it actually was.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The clock wasn't implied to be anything more than just a clock until 1 episode before they revealed what it actually was.

It was implied to be something way more important the first time Trieu shows up and does insanely over the top poo poo to get the house from that couple to build it. It sets the project up as mysterious and important right off the bat, and there was speculation everywhere about what she was really building.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well you clearly need to go watch Cloak & Dagger and confirm it then. Let's be empirical about this.

I saw cloak and dagger. I just didn't want to sound to objective there. Personally I preferred AoS by a noticeable margin. But that might just be my personal bias. Being set in new Orleans, Close and Dagger involves a lot of jazz, which I disdain.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
my opinion of Watchmen is what it's been since the beginning: a pretty good, well-made show with fairly confused politics and a strained relationship with the themes of the source material that doesn't quite deserve the euphoric praise it's getting

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vince MechMahon posted:

The big powerful final moment is "pay off" to a throwaway line from an episode ago. It leaves more questions dangling than it answered. The ones it did answer were disappointing. Most of the characters didn't get enough time for me to give a poo poo about them (looking at you, Trieu), and it felt like it was using the comic idea of "nothing ever ends" to justify lazy, half assed storytelling, and is more interested in setting up mystery boxes than giving satisfying answers. Basically it's everything that sucks about Lindeloff in one neat package.

You make it sound closer to the original than it was.
Honestly yea, I was a bit disappointed by the final for just disregarding some interesting build up to fit in a less interesting villain. I was all down with the white supremacists trying to make themselves gods only to get hosed over big time, but that seemed to be pushed aside for Triu. Spoilers I guess: The whole reveal with Veidt just felt unearned. I get why someone wouldn't want Triu to become a god because she was narcissistic enough to start making people worship her, but having Veidt be the one to point this out felt logical but also a bit hollow. Also I just was never sold on Jon becoming human and falling in love. For the story purposes it was fine, but for an established character it just didn't sit right

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the exec producer sounds like a big weiner.

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1206443239894593538?s=20

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1206464505426972672?s=20

https://twitter.com/unabanned/status/1206469572641067008?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

My only question is "will there be another season?"

They aren't making that dumbass Confederates show, so it's either Watchmen or Dark Materials if HBO wants to remain the network of "smart" nerds.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

They aren't making that dumbass Confederates show, so it's either Watchmen or Dark Materials if HBO wants to remain the network of "smart" nerds.

They're making a dumbass Lovecraft show instead. No, not Lovecraft Country, the one Jordan Peele is doing that will probably be good. The GoT idiots are doing a show based on Lovecraft himself. Which I assume is going to be him yelling racial slurs and not leaving his house because he's scared and will go for 8 seasons.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Vince MechMahon posted:

They're making a dumbass Lovecraft show instead. No, not Lovecraft Country, the one Jordan Peele is doing that will probably be good. The GoT idiots are doing a show based on Lovecraft himself. Which I assume is going to be him yelling racial slurs and not leaving his house because he's scared and will go for 8 seasons.

Yeah, but the GoT guys hosed off to netflix so that's not gonna happen on HBO.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It was implied to be something way more important the first time Trieu shows up and does insanely over the top poo poo to get the house from that couple to build it. It sets the project up as mysterious and important right off the bat, and there was speculation everywhere about what she was really building.
Except she was already building the tower in that scene. She was already a known quantity to Tulsa at the time. She was buying their property because that's where Veidt crash landed.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

that's a movie afaik

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

All of these are entirely divorced from what he's saying and its context. Does Damon Lindelof specifically break people's brain?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cant cook creole bream posted:

I saw cloak and dagger. I just didn't want to sound to objective there. Personally I preferred AoS by a noticeable margin. But that might just be my personal bias. Being set in new Orleans, Close and Dagger involves a lot of jazz, which I disdain.

Well the main villain of season 2 was a jazz musician, so surely that was appealing to you?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

Oh, good. What if the things Lovecraft wrote about were because THEY WERE REAL is entirely fresh and cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It leaves more questions dangling than it answered. The ones it did answer were disappointing.

This is my shocked face.

:geno:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, good. What if the things Lovecraft wrote about were because THEY WERE REAL is entirely fresh and cool.
I'm imagining that page from Planetary now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well the main villain of season 2 was a jazz musician, so surely that was appealing to you?

Nah, hearing jazz gives me a headache, so it was really annoying to watch.

But I am aware that this is a personal bias and not a negative point for everyone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Have you considered that perhaps you've communed with an otherdimensional force that allows you to drain hope from others in order to relieve this headaches

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nah, hearing jazz gives me a headache, so it was really annoying to watch.

But I am aware that this is a personal bias and not a negative point for everyone.

Have you considered the groovy hiss of snake jazz?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I've been catching up on Doom Patrol over my winter break and I'm shocked at how good it is. It does a great job with the themes and dealing with why each character is broken and also mixing incredibly serious themes with outright bizarreness that permeates Doom Patrol. It's also great to see some of the super weird characters showing up like Danny Street and Steve Larson.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It’s a ridiculous degree better than every other super tv show it’s almost uncomfortable.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I was very skeptical of how they'd pull off Danny, once getting over my initial blissed out disbelief that they'd even be trying, but I loved it. I was super verklempt by the end of that episode. What an absolute treasure of a show.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's one of the few things on film this year that just thinking about it makes me start grinning, it's such an insanely good show.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Plus, it's got the absolute king Brendy F in it in a leading role.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The musical episode crushed everything in it's path and I hate musicals.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

WandaVision premiere has been moved up to 2020 (it was previously spring 2021)

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1212372907399118848?s=21

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1212432983157694464?s=21

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 1, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

WandaVision premiere has been moved up to 2020

https://youtu.be/lQP4bk1uGXM

Yeah. D+ did stupid well, but now there's not much else once you've re-watched The Mighty Ducks trilogy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. D+ did stupid well, but now there's not much else once you've re-watched The Mighty Ducks trilogy.

Surely you then watch the Mighty Ducks cartoon?

CLONE WARS. Inject it into my veins, Filoni!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Been more hyped for Clone Wars than I was for Episode 9

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Flash, Supergirl, Black Lightning, Batwoman, and LEGENDS all renewed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

:hellyeah:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Davros1 posted:

That's everything but the ending Arrow then right? Which is probably being replaced with Green Arrow and the Canaries anyway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New poster for the crossover with Oliver in Spectre costume.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

New poster for the crossover with Oliver in Spectre costume.

I'm sad he's not just wearing a green speedo and a cape. His pose also makes him look like he's trying to calm down an angry dog.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sad he's not just wearing a green speedo and a cape. His pose also makes him look like he's trying to calm down an angry dog.

Krypto confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

That's everything but the ending Arrow then right? Which is probably being replaced with Green Arrow and the Canaries anyway.

CW renewed everything on their slate except for the three shows ending and the Riverdale spinoff that hasn't debuted yet.