Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

AF posted:

Which reminds me of a question I wanted to ask F4 users: are you able to easily focus manual lenses with the stock focusing screen (which if I understand correctly, has no split image) or did you go out and replace it with a different focusing screen? Going off this page as context: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/screens/index.htm

I only use AF glass on my F4 right now, but I pre-emptively picked up the K-type split screen just to be safe.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What are some good eye cups that’ll fit on a Super Program body? Got mine back after having it looked at. Besides the CLA the only thing that had to be done was replace the light seal and the foam around the mirror since they had become stiff, brittle, and flaky with age.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Developed some Delta 400 120 the other day. Used 50:1 Rodinal, and it turned out okay-ish, but I think I had some trouble with dynamic range (or my expectations aren't realisitic). Darks seem kinda dark and the skies got blown to gently caress.

IDK. I suppose I just need to practice more. That'll either help me improve or get a better understanding of what to expect.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Filters are extremely useful (necessary even) for film photography, especially black and white photography. A yellow/orange/red filter will tame bright skies and give you better contrast without having too much of an effect on your foreground. They will make it darker of course, and you'll need to account for that in your exposure, but they will narrow the dynamic range of a bright sky scene by a lot. Yellow filters have the weakest effect, red ones have the strongest. It can be hard to find coloured screw-on filters these days, but there are a poo poo ton of cheap Chinese square polymer filter sets that come with a holder and a bunch of step-up rings on Amazon.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Helen Highwater posted:

Filters are extremely useful (necessary even) for film photography, especially black and white photography. A yellow/orange/red filter will tame bright skies and give you better contrast without having too much of an effect on your foreground. They will make it darker of course, and you'll need to account for that in your exposure, but they will narrow the dynamic range of a bright sky scene by a lot. Yellow filters have the weakest effect, red ones have the strongest. It can be hard to find coloured screw-on filters these days, but there are a poo poo ton of cheap Chinese square polymer filter sets that come with a holder and a bunch of step-up rings on Amazon.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip. Should be pretty easy to sort out with my SLR. Did a quick ebay search for bay 1 filters too--drat things are kind of pricey for how small they are.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Get a Bay 1 to 49mm or 52mm step up ring. The ring is surprisingly expensive but spares you having to buy vintage filters. Bay 1's do make for a very tidy compact package though.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sauer posted:

Get a Bay 1 to 49mm or 52mm step up ring. The ring is surprisingly expensive but spares you having to buy vintage filters. Bay 1's do make for a very tidy compact package though.

I took this to heart and jumped on ebay real quick. Managed to find one for $14 shipped. Thanks to you as well.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Got my first roll of 120 Portra from the Lubitel I got from Sauer developed the other week. I had an asinine notion to try fool my 35mm film only scanner to try to do the strips of 120 but no luck. Looks like I'll be upgrading scanners for the holiday so I can shoot both formats and have them on the computer. From what I can tell though it turned out pretty decent from the thumbnail scans I was able to preview.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Excellent, glad you're enjoying it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dudeabides posted:

Got my first roll of 120 Portra from the Lubitel I got from Sauer developed the other week. I had an asinine notion to try fool my 35mm film only scanner to try to do the strips of 120 but no luck. Looks like I'll be upgrading scanners for the holiday so I can shoot both formats and have them on the computer. From what I can tell though it turned out pretty decent from the thumbnail scans I was able to preview.

I had good luck with picking up a Epson 4990 from Ebay. It's not exactly fast, but it works!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I had good luck with picking up a Epson 4990 from Ebay. It's not exactly fast, but it works!

I had done some digging and saw that someone had tricked their Epson Perfection V370 (the one I have) into scanning medium format, but when I tried to do it, the backlight only allowed a 35mm strip of it to scan and show in the preview so...go figure for that.

I'm looking at a V600 but I'll look at that too!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dudeabides posted:

I had done some digging and saw that someone had tricked their Epson Perfection V370 (the one I have) into scanning medium format, but when I tried to do it, the backlight only allowed a 35mm strip of it to scan and show in the preview so...go figure for that.

I'm looking at a V600 but I'll look at that too!

I've seen people make their own film holder and light box so you don't have to use the built-in backlight but it seems like a lot of effort to go to (and a lot of image quality compromise) just to avoid spending $200 on a scanner.

Also, let me throw out that if you're getting into medium format you probably want to buy a V700 or whatever the current iteration is. The V500/V600 is alright for 6x6, you can do 2 frames at a time which is semi-decent, but 6x7 and above become loving painful as you have to move the film for every single exposure.

Scanning is best when you can queue up 4 images and then leave it alone for 15 minutes and go do something else and 6x7 is the critical threshold where you are working one image at a time.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also, let me throw out that if you're getting into medium format you probably want to buy a V700 or whatever the current iteration is. The V500/V600 is alright for 6x6, you can do 2 frames at a time which is semi-decent, but 6x7 and above become loving painful as you have to move the film for every single exposure.

While the V700 is the right way to go for quality the V600 can do 4 6x6 or 2 6x9 at once , not 2 and 1, and if you can get one for cheap go for it. I paid like $100 for mine and have been pretty happy with it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've seen people make their own film holder and light box so you don't have to use the built-in backlight but it seems like a lot of effort to go to (and a lot of image quality compromise) just to avoid spending $200 on a scanner.

Scanning is best when you can queue up 4 images and then leave it alone for 15 minutes and go do something else and 6x7 is the critical threshold where you are working one image at a time.

Uh what? I scan two 6x7 frames at a time on my v600.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Awkward Davies posted:

Uh what? I scan two 6x7 frames at a time on my v600.

does the V600 have a bigger window than a V500 then? The V500 Photo only has one "row" and is specified in the manual as maxing out at one 6x12 frame so 4 6x6 is clearly out.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

does the V600 have a bigger window than a V500 then?

Yes. IIRC you can use the holders that come with the V600 in the V500. It's a limitation imposed by the size of the cutout in the holder - compare the cutout to the area used for the 35mm holder.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

does the V600 have a bigger window than a V500 then? The V500 Photo only has one "row" and is specified in the manual as maxing out at one 6x12 frame so 4 6x6 is clearly out.

Yes. I will say that even scanning 2 frames of 120 kinda sucks. I'd much rather be scanning 4.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Follow up question from filterchat: Does colored filter quality really matter for film? I know with digital a lovely polarizer or w/e can affect image quality. Wasn’t sure if that’d be the case here too.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

could cause you contrast issues but it's probably not going to be that noticeable

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cool. Thanks for the info. I don’t want to totally cheap out (I’ve seen some for just a few bucks) but it’s also good to know that I don’t necessarily need to shell out a bunch of money to get something with acceptable performance.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Filter chat: Anyone have a recommendation for a good set of filters for Bay 1 mount? I’m in some definite need of contrast for my Yashica Mat 124, and would like to try playing with filters anyways. I tried googling around, but most of the available stuff is either just purely UV, an ND, or cheap stuff with bad reviews.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I think the best idea is to get a bay 1 to 49mm or 52mm adapter and just buy normal filters by whatever brand is in your budget

Somebody else mentioned this a few pages ago I think

Also - if you’re lacking contrast on your yashica mat, you may need to flock the inside. It’s notoriously reflective inside the camera body and will cause all kinds of contrast killing flares if you point it anywhere near the sun. Just google “yashica mat flocking” and there will be tons of forum posts describing the process and where to buy flocking material

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 14, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I just got my adapter yesterday. Bay 1 to 52mm.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Just ordered a fresh five-pack of HP5+, eight expired rolls (~decade) Superia 400, and a one year out of date roll Kodak Gold 200. :f5:

I should be exposing the decade-old Superia as 200 ISO rather than 400, correct?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
A stop per decade is the rule of thumb but its going to depend a lot on how it was stored. If it was refrigerated an extra stop or two is a good idea. Frozen? You might not need any adjustment but its C-41 so give it a stop anyway for good measure. Sitting in the glove box of a car? Expose it right into the trash can.

Personal Opinion: Sell it to hipsters for twice what you paid and get some Portra with the winnings.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 16, 2019

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I paid $2.50 per 24-exposure roll and sometimes dig the expired Superia magenta fuckery so just gonna play with it. Boxes are in great shape so seemed worth the $20 gamble for some fun.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
That's cool. You got a bunch of it so you could experiment with bracketing your exposures on the first roll to see which ISO gives you the look you want for the rest of the rolls.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I was talking with the guy who runs my local second hand camera store about a Nikon F100, after the thread suggested it instead of buying an overkill used F6, and he suggested a brand of camera that I’ve never heard of that’s supposed to be good. He has on hand a Minolta a9 and a7 he suggested and from what I’ve read online these are apparently really good cameras but I’ve never even known about this manufacturer until doing further research. I guess there was some update that could be done to the a9 but he didn’t have a version with it done and of course no one does it now so he was pointing me towards the a7. Anyone have experience with Minolta cameras and the a7 in particular? There seems to be a cult following online for them

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

If you've never heard of Minolta, I am going to wager that your photography is not at the level that would necessitate a flagship camera body regardless of the brand. Get one that feels good to hold. One that the most common buttons and features feel obvious and natural to your hands.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Sony purchased Minolta's camera division. Prior to that, Minolta made a consistent string of pro level and high end consumer bodies with verygood lenses available. To this day, the 9000 is a spendy SLR as 35mm film cameras go.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Are sony’s alpha mount lenses backwards compatible with the minolta AF bodies? I share some nice EF L lenses between my a7ii and my A2E and shooting film with a relatively modern setup is quite nice.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A mounts are compatible with the Maxxus lenses made in the '80s and '90s.

https://feltmagnet.com/photography/Digital-SLR-Cameras-and-Those-Film-Era-Lenses

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

polyester concept posted:

If you've never heard of Minolta, I am going to wager that your photography is not at the level that would necessitate a flagship camera body regardless of the brand. Get one that feels good to hold. One that the most common buttons and features feel obvious and natural to your hands.

This is true. They were a little before my time since the last time they put out a camera I was 10 and using a Polaroid iZone and a WWF Slam Cam :laffo: but yeah my skill is at a level I would classify as “wet bag of garbage”. Luckily the store lets you test out how cameras feel in store so I think I’ll take some time to just hold and feel around each one like you say, see which one sits in my hands best

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Is Auto-focus a must? As far as AF goes I've only used the Minolta Dynax 7000i and while it performed well enough it was bulky and not fun to carry around. I assume the a9 and a7 are better performers all around but if you're taking the time to shoot film why not got manual focus?

The Minolta x570 is a joy to use, light, super bright viewfinder and had all the creature comforts you need, as well as cheap glass.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I learned on a Minolta X-700 and honestly I'm not sure I can think of a better film camera to learn on. Lightweight, cheap, good lenses, feels good to use, has enough automation to ease you into learning the exposure triangle, but also lets you go full manual when you're ready, I love that sucker still even today.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I own both a 700 and 570. The 570, while missing program, still has aperture priority and it shows both your selected and metered speed in manual while the 700 only shows selected. The 700 only has iso selection to 1600 instead of the 570s 3200 too.

The only other thing it's missing is exposure compensation but just chuck it into manual for that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

X-700 prices are definitely getting up there, especially compared to other SR mount consumer-grade minolta bodies.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Portra 400, 35mm.

San Antonio by S M, on Flickr

San Antonio by S M, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fuji Pro 400H. Think I'll go running back to Kodak. (Bronica ETR)

Granted, all the pictures I took were overcast, but not really happy with the colours in any of them.
Still got a roll left, though.