Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

We make more of an effort to engage in it than you do.

If we've learned anything it's that cops have zero problems engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/12/11/aurora-police-officer-drunk-driving/

quote:

On-duty Aurora police officer who passed out drunk while driving kept job, was never charged with DUI

The March 29 incident began around 3:45 p.m. when two people called 911 after they discovered Meier unconscious in the driver’s seat of his unmarked car in the middle of East Mississippi Avenue near Buckley Air Force Base, according to an Aurora internal affairs evidence summary obtained Wednesday by The Denver Post.

In a later interview with internal affairs, Meier admitted that he went home during his shift and drank vodka. He told internal affairs investigators he was impaired by the vodka and did not remember anything after drinking until he woke up in the hospital, according to the summary. He also provided investigators with medical records that “indicated his level of alcohol consumption,” according to a statement from Aurora police.

So admitting to drunk driving on duty is enough to earn a cop an arrest or a charge, right?

quote:

“Due to an inability to exclude a medical condition, and absent confirmatory information, a DUI investigation was not conducted,” the statement said. “No blood test was done since there was no felony committed and a blood draw could not be forced.”

Oh.

The police chief outright states this excuse was irrelevant to his decision:

quote:

I want you to know I unequivocally stand by my decision regarding the involved officer because I care about the human being who stepped up and owned his incredibly poor decision…and continues to courageously own it.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...28-bf1cac98b71a

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 17, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 14, 2022

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Yes. I’ve been the subject of quite a few disciplinary actions with respect to my posting and have been terminated from quite a few forums, nonetheless I quickly received a new job posting the same stuff in a different forum thanks to my connections.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Fallom posted:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/12/11/aurora-police-officer-drunk-driving/

So admitting to drunk driving on duty is enough to earn a cop an arrest or a charge, right?

Oh.

Admitting to drinking without additional evidence usually isn't enough for a charge for anyone around here either.

Merely being passed out in a car, absent a chemical test, usually gets the case dismissed. Getting a warrant for a blood draw is only done for cases with injury.

Other jurisdictions can apparently get warrants for blood in like, ten minutes, so not sure if this is a typical case or willful malfeasance for that department.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yes. I’ve been the subject of quite a few disciplinary actions with respect to my posting and have been terminated from quite a few forums, nonetheless I quickly received a new job posting the same stuff in a different forum thanks to my connections.

sounds like you want to discuss the phenomenon of small towns creating departments for revenue generation and then hiring part time cops at $12 a hour leading to atrocious hiring standards and the lack of a nationwide policing standard

but probably not

Here's an article about it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy_cop

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 17, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Admitting to drinking without additional evidence usually isn't enough for a charge for anyone around here either.

quote:

One officer, Eugene VanDyk, can be heard commenting on Meier’s apparent intoxication in his body camera footage. Other officers noted in their written reports that they smelled alcohol on Meier and in the car.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Yup, absent a chemical test that level of evidence wouldn't even make it to arraignments in NYC.

... maybe Staten island

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm sorry, I genuinely don't believe you that an average citizen passing out drunk in their car in the middle of a busy intersection while reeking of booze will not even earn a breathalyzer test or a blood draw order. Do the police in NYC not treat reckless driving, obvious impairment, and alcohol smells like a DUI?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 17, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Fallom posted:

I'm sorry, I genuinely don't believe you that an average citizen passing out drunk in their car in the middle of a busy intersection while reeking of booze will not even earn a breathalyzer test or a blood draw order. Do the police in NYC not treat reckless driving, obvious impairment, and alcohol smells like a DUI?

You can't breathalyzer an unconscious person and getting a warrant for a blood draw is a 5-6 hour process in NYC and is only done for accidents with injuries.

Also, hand held PBT are not common issue here, and aren't usually admitted in court anyway due to calibration issues.

Edit: you'd think being caught on video firing a gun and screaming "die bitch" would be a slam dunk murder case but since we didn't recover the gun or any shell casings, the prosecutor argued we didn't know if it was a real gun or if it was firing blanks. Case dismissed before arraignment.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fallom posted:

That's not what hes saying. Hes saying that without bloodwork done by a lab the case would be thrown out in NYC, even if the entire department testified they smelled the odor of an alcoholic beverage.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Cool he’s not going to get in trouble in court, whatever.

Why is he keeping his job?

quote:

According to a police report, the Ford Taurus' engine was running, the car was in gear and Meier's foot was on the brake. Responding officers said he was wearing his uniform and had his service weapon on him.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Well, as we as a society have clearly decided, cops aren't average citizens and do not have to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Also, I sure hope all of you are willing to agree that there are bad cops, and there are good people who are cops, but that there are major institutional problems with the police in the USA and even if you're a good cop, you're part of a corrupt and problematic institution which makes you part of the problem.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

A Bad Poster posted:

Well, as we as a society have clearly decided, cops aren't average citizens and do not have to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Also, I sure hope all of you are willing to agree that there are bad cops, and there are good people who are cops, but that there are major institutional problems with the police in the USA and even if you're a good cop, you're part of a corrupt and problematic institution which makes you part of the solution

Fixed

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Cool he’s not going to get in trouble in court, whatever.

Why is he keeping his job?

union bitch suck on my fat pension

edit: may not apply for aforementioned $12 departments

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Also I think you guys may not realize this but the guy in question was also a police officer and there is a tendency for other members of that particular organization to overlook faults and outright crimes for fellow employees.

I hope this helps everyone understand what very well may have transpired here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The answer is probably that the union will back him because there is no conviction.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Smiling Jack posted:

union bitch suck on my fat pension

We’ve got some good old fashioned sexism and homophobia here boys

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

At least I learned one weird trick to dodge a DUI that will surely work for me

If there’s no accidents just go limp and non-compliant!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

We’ve got some good old fashioned sexism and homophobia here boys

but enough about your posting

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Fallom posted:

There's a reason refusing a DUI test is an option, and also why it results in civil penalties.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Fallom posted:

varies massively by department. I know of other departments that can get a warrant for your blood in like ten minutes.

Where the crime occurs and the local case law makes a huge difference in enforcement.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Please don't engage with the FYAD refugee. We don't need these irony ronin, bereft of a homeland, congregating in GIP and becoming ironic highwaymen.

A Buff Gay Dude, take the opportunity to leave now, thanks.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Fallom posted:

Always
Consent to
A
Brethalyzer

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

Always
Consent to
A
Brethalyzer

Taking a breathalyzer is like talking to the cops post miranda- there's no good outcome for you.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Laws in America are so balkanized. Slapping someone in the face causing no injury can be charged as a felony on Florida, and isn't even a misdemeanor in NYS.

It's a violation, which means you can only be locked up if you do it in front of a cop. If the victim feels "significan pain" its a misdemeanor and you can be arrested.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

Please don't engage with the FYAD refugee. We don't need these irony ronin, bereft of a homeland, congregating in GIP and becoming ironic highwaymen.

A Buff Gay Dude, take the opportunity to leave now, thanks.

Even on the internet, the cops wont let the homeless camp somewhere so they can safely post for the night.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Smiling Jack posted:

You can't breathalyzer an unconscious person and getting a warrant for a blood draw is a 5-6 hour process in NYC and is only done for accidents with injuries.

Also, hand held PBT are not common issue here, and aren't usually admitted in court anyway due to calibration issues.

Edit: you'd think being caught on video firing a gun and screaming "die bitch" would be a slam dunk murder case but since we didn't recover the gun or any shell casings, the prosecutor argued we didn't know if it was a real gun or if it was firing blanks. Case dismissed before arraignment.

Would they not just wait for the person to wake up? This seems like a pretty big double standard from the admittedly limited second/third hand knowledge knowledge of DUI convictions I have.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Even on the internet, the cops wont let the homeless camp somewhere so they can safely post for the night.

homeless guys are the best informants I ever had

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Dum Cumpster posted:

Would they not just wait for the person to wake up? This seems like a pretty big double standard from the admittedly limited second/third hand knowledge knowledge of DUI convictions I have.

once the guy goes into the medical system all sorts of weird poo poo apply

And tbh if the guy is already passed out in his car he's usually has a suspended license so when you charge him with the suspension and the open containers in the vehicle for the same result

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Guys, keep on mind all this poo poo is HUGELY location dependent. When I refer to American policing as a dysjointed, balkanized, absolutely hosed organizationally, I'm not kidding.

For fucks sake the NYPD didnt get most cops emails until 2013 or so and we just stopped faxing paperwork to the various DA offices this year

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Smiling Jack posted:

homeless guys are the best informants I ever had

A buff gay dude is snitching? Checks out. Never talk to mods.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not exactly thrilled that a drunk-driving cop is allowed to continue endangering the public but ultimately can't disagree with the conclusion that a combination between the US's hosed up legal systems and strong police unions keeps these people from receiving justice.

It also hurts because one of my friends was killed by a sheriff who crossed the center line while texting, and naturally there wasn't even a question of dismissing all charges against him.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 17, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Fallom posted:

I'm not exactly thrilled that a drunk-driving cop is allowed to continue endangering the public but ultimately can't disagree with the conclusion that a combination between the US's hosed up legal systems and strong police unions keeps these people from receiving justice.

It's not just the cop, you'd be amazed at how many people walk on that. Sometimes (most of the time) being a cop helps, sometimes it doesn't .

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Smiling Jack posted:

Guys, keep on mind all this poo poo is HUGELY location dependent. When I refer to American policing as a dysjointed, balkanized, absolutely hosed organizationally, I'm not kidding.

For fucks sake the NYPD didnt get most cops emails until 2013 or so and we just stopped faxing paperwork to the various DA offices this year

Yeah, I get that, and figured different rules might apply once you're at the hospital. Still seems unusual. I know of a couple people who tried to sleep it off in their cars and got hosed.

Also

quote:

I want you to know I unequivocally stand by my decision regarding the involved officer because I care about the human being who stepped up and owned his incredibly poor decision…and continues to courageously own it.

I agree with the general idea (maybe not so much with DUIs) but wish everyone was treated as a human being and kept out of our lovely prison system as much as possible, not just people in power.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Are the cops in Aurora unionized? I know similar cases have been taken to trial in other judicial districts in CO (minus the cop part). Not really doing anything seems suboptimal

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Oh NYPD cops get hit for DUI like, all the time. A non-violent misdemeanor conviction, if you're dumb enough to take it to trial, will get you fired. Most cops are smart enough to refuse to blow, so they'll try and take it to trial on observation / refusal, which usually results in a violation plea, and the cop gets what's known as "thirty and a year" which is 30 days lost vacation and a year dismissal probation, which doesn't sound like much, but you basically agree to spot-check breathalyzer checks and a year without union protection, which makes it very easy to fire you.

(btw you'd be amazed at th number of FedEx and UPS drivers with DUI priors)

note that refusal to blow is treated differently than inability to blow.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are the cops in Aurora unionized? I know similar cases have been taken to trial in other judicial districts in CO (minus the cop part). Not really doing anything seems suboptimal

Yes, they are

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
imagine if literally any of this compassion and understanding was extended to any of the people routinely executed by police for the suspicion of committing a misdemeanor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Proud Christian Mom posted:

imagine if literally any of this compassion and understanding was extended to any of the people routinely executed by police for the suspicion of committing a misdemeanor.

without googling it how many unarmed people do you think the cops shoot every year? Just off the top of your head

Edit: how many are shot and killed to be specific

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 17, 2019