Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ringo Star Get posted:

I think the goal is for Trump to pump this up as much as possible that Biden and his son also committed crimes - it might make Biden the popular candidate to take on Trump when in reality it can be a repeat of Hillary.

Notice how we are less than a year from the next election and I don’t think Trump has mentioned Sanders at all. I think Trump knows he will lose against Sanders in all areas except the non-college-educated young white male group.

Without getting too much into primary chat, Sanders is rapidly catching up to Biden in polls so if anything Trump has hilariously miscalculated who his opponent is going to be and trying to pump him up is not working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Playing diplomatic hardball for a diplomatic purpose is not the same thing as playing diplomatic hardball for personal gain.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
if you want to have an actual discussion about the merits of Biden's behavior as it relates today, take it to the primary thread.

But in all seriousness anyone treating Trump's actions as existing in the same universe of malbehavior as Clinton's or Biden's in tyool 2019 is not worth acknowledging, because their brains are so riddled with worms that it's pointless to actual things that matter in regards to impeachment

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

eke out posted:

i think if you're actually interested in getting into the weeds, you can pretty easily find plenty on Lawfare and JustSecurity written by very competent attorneys about both these topics

i linked a pretty comprehensive set of essays from js earlier today that cover the evidence questions in more detail than you could possibly wish for

I think detail is the issue here. What's enabling these people to go on TV all like "WHERE THE EVIDENCE" IMO is that it's hard to formulate a punchy response that gets to the meat of it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

vincentpricesboner posted:

Exactly. Not to mention the fact he is a giant creep as well just like Trump.

Trump is a rapist and a pedophile.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

snorch posted:

I think detail is the issue here. What's enabling these people to go on TV all like "WHERE THE EVIDENCE" IMO is that it's hard to formulate a punchy response that gets to the meat of it.

"trump's million dollar donor said he did the crime" is pretty loving punchy

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Ben McAdams is a yes, so that looks positive for very few defections from democrats

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2019/12/16/utah-rep-ben-mcadams/

edit:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1206633121904570368

Cunningham looks like a yes

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 16, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oxsnard posted:

shut the gently caress up with your bad faith both sides bullshit. Dozens of credible rape allegations is nothing like Biden's behavior

I am sorry that me talking about blatant problems with Biden just totally breaks your worldview? Two things can in fact be bad at once. One is much worse, but that doesn't mean Biden gets a free pass.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

eke out posted:

the us government does not investigate things unless it has a reason to believe something criminal occurred

Every single background check is an investigation where the premise is that hopefully nothing illegal occurred or we wouldn't be even bothering to investigate. Also potential mergers need to have investigations run before they are approved, or they are supposed to anyway. There's precedent for investigating potential conflicts before money changes hands.

What do you think about Biden bragging on tv about how he withheld aid in order to get a minister fired?

But seriously hiring his delinquent son for multi million dollars to be on an industry board he knows nothing about is obviously done to solicit favors

Considering Biden got the minister fired so he could replaced with someone that would actively investigate the crimes committed by the business his son worked for, it was a very bad investment on Burisma's part.

Yeah when Biden admits to quid pro quo it's just crazy grandpa telling stories am I right

Oh you're a troll, now I feel dumb for responding. What do you think the difference between quid-pro-quo and trade is, exactly? Let's see if you can figure it out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah that's a yes; those are the kinds of questions that only someone who's coming at this from a good-faith angle would ask.

I am sorry that me talking about blatant problems with Biden just totally breaks your worldview? Two things can in fact be bad at once. One is much worse, but that doesn't mean Biden gets a free pass.

The mask's off, dude, we know what you're doing.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
"while child rape is worse than hugging someone in public, they both should be treated as the offenses that they are"

get the gently caress out of here

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

why am i have to read about someone trying to drag biden in an impeachment thread about trump unless you think whatever biden has done vindicates trump? if you do then just say it and if you don't take it to uspol

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Strange Poon posted:

why am i have to read about someone trying to drag biden in an impeachment thread about trump unless you think whatever biden has done vindicates trump? if you do then just say it and if you don't take it to uspol

I don't think it vindicates anything at all. I thought the Biden stuff was pretty relevant to impeachment as it predicated all of this.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I know Politico is a bit of a rag but I don't think I've heard this said out loud before:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1206666045861302274?s=20

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I don't think it vindicates anything at all. I thought the Biden stuff was pretty relevant to impeachment as it predicated all of this.

You're jaqing off and nobody is fooled by your idiocy except you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nobody is saying he gets a free pass, just that saying "Biden is just like Trump", like you did, is very loving false.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
This is how I counter all the Biden nonsense. This is not about Biden, this is about Donald Trump and the actions he took. Just because you are starving and steal to feed yourself doesn't change the fact that you committed a crime.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

trying to prove an unknown with Hunter Biden's hire: "WHY WAS HE HIRED?" isn't an actual question because there has been no sign of illegal activity to warrant the question. biden withholding aide as it relates to firing a corrupt ukraniian, the context has been proven to be completely different - in line with us policy, backed by other countries, and so on. that last part was heavily discussed in some of the hearings.

if you don't know any of these things you're probably not following the impeachment hearings or everyone else is right and you're just here trying to spin people up

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I saw some of the Bidens throwing trash into the river.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

AhhYes posted:

I know Politico is a bit of a rag but I don't think I've heard this said out loud before:

See I think this is weird. I wish they’d waited to send articles of impeachment to the floor until they were sure about what they wanted to do about the Mueller Report.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

If everything about the Bidens were true, would that have any bearing on whether or not Trump abused the office of the president for personal gain? No? Then shut the gently caress up, it's completely irrelevant to impeachment.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

For totally not taking the bait you all sure are taking the bait

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

For totally not taking the bait you all sure are taking the bait

Hey I never said I wasn't taking the bait. I just responded in exactly the same way I'd explain it to my 7-year-old if he told me one of his classmates' parents had been listening to Fox News.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

See I think this is weird. I wish they’d waited to send articles of impeachment to the floor until they were sure about what they wanted to do about the Mueller Report.

it was always going to be like this as soon as it became clear that the case was going to get stayed pending appeals

frankly, the ruling doesn't even matter that much because even if McGahn is compelled to testify there's a 99% chance they assert executive privilege over everything, his testimony in person is just saying he's been advised not to respond because of EP, and then we go back to court for another 4-6 months about that

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I support impeaching both Bidens and removing them from their current federal offices, for the record.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1206678618321100804

update: i guess rudy is no longer preparing a formal report for the DOJ or whatever absolute bullshit they said two days ago lol

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1206688899197755393

gently caress Schumer and all, but this is a legitimately good sign that they're getting ahead of messaging

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oxsnard posted:

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1206688899197755393

gently caress Schumer and all, but this is a legitimately good sign that they're getting ahead of messaging

this. i think part of it was because mitch and friends basicaly started gurgling on fox that they would gently caress around but instead of being ignored like always, it wasn't poo poo changes when big stuff happens.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I would like Mitch to gently caress it up, get Trump impeached, then have to deal with Trump trying to primary him all through 2020. Unicorns for everyone, please also.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

The polling is not done by Fox itself. They contract it out to a reputable firm.

I think it's a deliberate part of them pretending to be a legitimate news operation. They're actually OK on actual news, but that's only about 2% of what they broadcast. They make sure their opinion pieces and outright propaganda are indistinguishable from proper news.

Who did they find to replace Sheperd Smith? I think that was their sole news block for the network, the rest of the lineup are just talking heads

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FilthyImp posted:

I would like Mitch to gently caress it up, get Trump impeached, then have to deal with Trump trying to primary him all through 2020. Unicorns for everyone, please also.

i mean trumps gonna get impeached and trump will probably lose his poo poo and maybe gently caress up in the senate and he barely survives.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1206678618321100804

update: i guess rudy is no longer preparing a formal report for the DOJ or whatever absolute bullshit they said two days ago lol

drat, does this mean we're never going to find out how Shokin died twice?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean trumps gonna get impeached and trump will probably lose his poo poo and maybe gently caress up in the senate and he barely survives.
honestly there's a pretty good chance trump gets acquitted by the senate and, not understanding what that means, trump tweets his resignation.
the next day the papers are full of pictures of trump and co grabbing armloads of stuff from the white house and shoving them into limos.
matt gaetz announces that he's now in charge and tries to move in.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

eke out posted:

it was always going to be like this as soon as it became clear that the case was going to get stayed pending appeals

frankly, the ruling doesn't even matter that much because even if McGahn is compelled to testify there's a 99% chance they assert executive privilege over everything, his testimony in person is just saying he's been advised not to respond because of EP, and then we go back to court for another 4-6 months about that

I could see the Democrats in the House continuing to pursue court cases against the four witnesses they want to call, and then either A. Run another impeachment on Trump right before the election or B. Ram all the horrifying new information down the public's throat right before the election.

Shumer knows the Republicans aren't going to let him call those witnesses, but at least this way he gets them into the public eye.

I might just be playing 4d chess against myself.

Is it possible to have Roberts rules on executive privilege during the impeachment or does that still require the entire SC?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

AhhYes posted:

I think I might actually like this strategy. Having two drips of news coming out, 1 being the Senate saying "no crimes here!" and aquitting and the other being a slow drip of new crimes. If this is the idea it paints the Republicans as totally void of any grip on reality and basically saying illegal poo poo is ok.

I'm not sure if that's the idea but having "more crimes!" on loop in the background while the Senate brushes it under the rug is on way to point out how poo poo the Senate is.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cr0y posted:

I think I might actually like this strategy. Having two drips of news coming out, 1 being the Senate saying "no crimes here!" and aquitting and the other being a slow drip of new crimes. If this is the idea it paints the Republicans as totally void of any grip on reality and basically saying illegal poo poo is ok.

I'm not sure if that's the idea but having "more crimes!" on loop in the background while the Senate brushes it under the rug is on way to point out how poo poo the Senate is.

i maintain that it would be extremely funny and appropriate to impeach trump again for another round of crimes

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

eke out posted:

i maintain that it would be extremely funny and appropriate to impeach trump again for another round of crimes

gently caress ya I would love round 2 with Schiff

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
They're not doing impeachment again unless there is actual republican support for it. So they're not doing impeachment twice

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I've also been hoping they'll impeach him twice. If if if this country is hosed up enough to vote him for a second term, they'd better impeach him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Trump's gonna go on a brazen crime spree after the senate trial

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1067431464524869633?s=20