Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

That Works posted:

Chances are that the majority of old diseases coming back around will not be well adapted to todays hosts / antibiotics etc and can get stomped out quick.

Only takes one that's by evolutionary chance better at hitting us hard though for it to be a problem.

Could be worse, could be a shape shifting alien that gets let loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Could be worse, could be a shape shifting alien that gets let loose.

:pray:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EvilMerlin posted:

I don't think its going to be possible to pull another WW2 build out of the war machine. In any nation.

Weapons of war today are far far too complex.

Agree with this in part - you couldn't turn out today's weapons systems in quantity. The problem is that you're starting from the end of "could we mass produce 20,000 Abrams tanks in four years" instead of the end of "what would a full-scale wartime rearmament program look like." In a full-scale wartime rearmament program you are designing and building cheaper complimentary stuff that is suitable for mass producing using converted existing, or a combination of existing and newly developed assembly systems and processes.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Another question is whether the institutions and societies in place can withstand a peer-to peer war. Can a western 2019-government really stomach literally burning down entire BCTs without a massive upheaval and unrest? You have to remember that before “wartime industry” happens the war has already gone on long enough that such a revamp is needed.

Closest example would propably be Iraq-Iran but neither of them at the time was really a western democracy.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

the interdependent trade networks of Europe will never allow a war to go on for more than a year at most, we will never see another large European war like the franco-prussian war of 1870

Europe then proceeds to nail its own dick to the table twice in the next 70 years

to be fair, the disruption in trade and losses did lead to the fall of several governments, but those new governments cheerfully took out the nine inch spike and rubber mallet twenty years later

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 16, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I mean there's some truth to that, the central powers had to give up because they were starving.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

I mean there's some truth to that, the central powers had to give up because they were starving.

yeah I went back to edit that in but both Germany and Russia got stupid not bit twenty years later what with Finland and Poland and whoops here we go

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

yeah I went back to edit that in but both Germany and Russia got stupid not bit twenty years later what with Finland and Poland and whoops here we go

Spain would like a world, please.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

madeintaipei posted:

Spain would like a world, please.

About what, they were neutral in world war one and largely sat out world war two after a massively destructive civil war.

my actual thesis, if I had to have one, is that the idea of "oh no we couldn't have a large war, it would be too disruptive and destructive" is largely contradicted by history.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Valtonen posted:

Another question is whether the institutions and societies in place can withstand a peer-to peer war. Can a western 2019-government really stomach literally burning down entire BCTs without a massive upheaval and unrest? You have to remember that before “wartime industry” happens the war has already gone on long enough that such a revamp is needed.

Closest example would propably be Iraq-Iran but neither of them at the time was really a western democracy.

Has "oh poo poo these losses are horrendous, let's go off to the negotiating table" ever happened historically before the physical fighting capacity had also been eroded? The question in my mind really is more what do people settle on that usefully complements the nifty legacy stuff and also can be produced en masse.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Smiling Jack posted:

About what, they were neutral in world war one and largely sat out world war two after a massively destructive civil war.

my actual thesis, if I had to have one, is that the idea of "oh no we couldn't have a large war, it would be too disruptive and destructive" is largely contradicted by history.

Just teasing you :)

I think you are right on with your second point.
Worse comes to worse in this world and I think we could all fight just fine with pick-em-ups, rifles, and barely trained infantry. Once the expensive assests are used up, and on a large enough front (or fronts), straight back to the meat-grinder. Yugoslavia, Congo War, Syria, all point to an endless capacity for violence, whatever the cost. A self-defeating machine, fed on blood, tears, and treasure. Hell on wheels.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

aphid_licker posted:

Has "oh poo poo these losses are horrendous, let's go off to the negotiating table" ever happened historically before the physical fighting capacity had also been eroded? The question in my mind really is more what do people settle on that usefully complements the nifty legacy stuff and also can be produced en masse.

France 1916, Russia 1917. Now as you said it was -after- they also had massive losses so yes it’s apples and oranges. However, another difference is how a modern war will affect civilian population: internet, freedom of travel and speech, exports disappearing from markets or price going up exorbitantly. Hell, GPS satellites going dark or getting priorized to military only and google maps disappearing will be a major pain.

I’m sure they said the same at 1910s and 1930s, but the concept of “nation in war footing” is really hard to take without waiting to see governments get toppled/backed by martial law.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Valtonen posted:

France 1916, Russia 1917. Now as you said it was -after- they also had massive losses so yes it’s apples and oranges. However, another difference is how a modern war will affect civilian population: internet, freedom of travel and speech, exports disappearing from markets or price going up exorbitantly. Hell, GPS satellites going dark or getting priorized to military only and google maps disappearing will be a major pain.

I’m sure they said the same at 1910s and 1930s, but the concept of “nation in war footing” is really hard to take without waiting to see governments get toppled/backed by martial law.

I think there's probably a minimum time that's dependent on human psychology before it sinks in that what's happening is unsustainable and needs to be stopped even if you lose face / have to change what you're doing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

aphid_licker posted:

I think there's probably a minimum time that's dependent on human psychology before it sinks in that what's happening is unsustainable and needs to be stopped even if you lose face / have to change what you're doing.

Judging from the "reaction" to the climate crisis in the various governments of the world, that minimum time appears to be at least 50 years and counting.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I suspect that the idea is that it's easily blocked by different people. China has some poo poo with the US and Canada, but they also aren't likely to blockade traffic going from there to Europe. In a world where that's happening we're deep into international tensions so hosed that pretty much any route is vulnerable.

Meanwhile there are a lot of smaller actors along the southern route who that can't be said for. You have piracy issues at a number of points along that route, plus a bunch of local powers that have less stable governments with a lot less to lose from loving up China -> Europe trade, especially if it's to make some kind of political point. Vietnam, Malaysia, India, and Indonesia could all be a major headache in that regard. Not to say that they would win that kind of staring contest with China, but it would also require them to get a lot more robust with military flexing outside of their own territory (or at least what they construe as it - see nine-dash), which isn't something they've been super eager for up to now. Then you have the horn of africa, the red sea, and the suez, all of which pose additional problems with additional state and non-state actors who can gently caress poo poo up. Lots of points along the line where some local dispute could boil over and gently caress up your trade as a side effect.

When you're pushing between Korea and Japan, Russia and Japan, and then Russia and the US those considerations become a lot easier to deal with. Fewer interested parties, more stable governments, and a very notable lack of unpredictable non-state actors.

edit: Like, imagine a situation where the Straits of Hormuz have France on one side and China on the other, rather than the current situation. Still maybe not BFFs with the US, but also a lot easier to predict and account for than what it is in reality.

Transpacific direct LA/LB, rail to US East Coast, transatlantic direct Northern Europe

Northern Europe via Panama

Northern Europe via Cape Horn

These are all simpler and likely cheaper than the NSR or NWP. Baring a significant increase in daily charter rate or an even more significant decrease in ice navigation premiums.

(But really at current BDI rates, nobody’s gonna go north to save a couple days.)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
So why was the Russian navy parking a decommissioned sub in a decommissioned floating dock in the middle of a relatively valuable naval base? Surely there are better places to store something that size.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Godholio posted:

So why was the Russian navy parking a decommissioned sub in a decommissioned floating dock in the middle of a relatively valuable naval base? Surely there are better places to store something that size.

Yeah, next to the Kursk.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Godholio posted:

They’re annoying to move though.

Also, Russia.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The post soviet Russian navy got hit hard by budgetary shortfalls and general neglect. They had major warships rotting at the piers. I can easily see how a couple of lesser vessels would just get ignored until they sank.

Edit:b they’re better about it now than in the mid 90s but there’s still a lot of poo poo that hasn’t been properly maintained in almost 30 years.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sadly I wonder what they were doing with the tango class, scrapping or trying to refurbish it?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

That Works posted:

Chances are that the majority of old diseases coming back around will not be well adapted to todays hosts / antibiotics etc and can get stomped out quick.

Only takes one that's by evolutionary chance better at hitting us hard though for it to be a problem.

This is quite true, and I would recommend people do like me (at least if they plan on going out in nature or also have a career there) and stay abreast of new strains instead. Somehow, we just got a new brand of tick-borne brain bug here in Denmark that is native to Russia, and of course it hangs out in one of my favorite forestst, so I got the vaccine.

I mean, sure, it's a fair spot of money for something that might never be activated, but considering how badly it fries the brain I'm not taking any loving chances. Plus, with climate change growing it may offer resistance to some of this bad boys mutated strains in the future :eng99:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

aphid_licker posted:

Has "oh poo poo these losses are horrendous, let's go off to the negotiating table" ever happened historically before the physical fighting capacity had also been eroded?

Back in the 50s there was talk of broken-back war, the recognition of the fact that even after all of the initial fighting ground down due to lack of munitions and replacements the war would probably continue.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 18, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We're so painfully dumb as a species

Underwater dieselelectric drone!:

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1206931639739330560

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

aphid_licker posted:

Waiting for the autonomous wind-powered drone

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That Works posted:

Waiting for the autonomous wind-powered drone

https://www.saildrone.com

Those things are actually super impressive.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

aphid_licker posted:

Fisheries enforcement drone sub, 2030

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

EvilMerlin posted:

In today's world?

Yeah its going to be years. Decade even.

Building an M1 tank isn't near building a M4 tank, nor is building an F-35A like building a P-51D-NA.

Some things, like you mentioned, could be transitioned, like transitioning a diesel engine line to make other diesel engines. But you cant easily spool up a facility to make Chobham plates for tanks.

Hell then we can get into things like having to make 120mm cannon. Rheinmetall makes all of them currently and under war time situations, there is no way they can make enough, let alone get them to the US easily.

I don't think its going to be possible to pull another WW2 build out of the war machine. In any nation.

Weapons of war today are far far too complex.
Shipbuilding is a pretty huge industrial sector as well that the west has mostly abandoned to East Asia and recently especially China. There’s maybe half a dozen yards still around the US that build large Navy vessels and a few smaller ones that build oil and gas/commercial stuff that must be made domestically per the Jones act. Scaling up capacity and a skilled labor force to start replacing the massive losses to commercial (not to mention military) shipping a large scale war would involve would be very hard to mobilize for. Maaaybe/hopefully the core of maybe 50-100,000 shipbuilders still employed in the US are enough of a nucleus to rebuild the industry off of, but man would we need a bunch more welders. There’s only one yard (Newport News)that can build carriers and it takes a decade for each one, and IIRC only one yard (Ingalls) that can handle the smaller LHA/LHD stuff too.

It’s a very labor intensive industry not well suited to automation and involves a huge downstream supply chain as far as engines etc, which is why a big reason why developing industrial nations have historically subsidized it to develop an industrial base. That’s led to huge oversupply, and the closure of higher cost western yards, except those doing specialized defense/luxury work. Japanese and American yards put all the European yards out of work in the post war period, then in the past 30 yrs the Koreans undercut the Japanese and Americans, and now the Chinese and Vietnamese are undercutting everyone.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Shipbuilding is a pretty huge industrial sector as well that the west has mostly abandoned to East Asia and recently especially China. There’s maybe half a dozen yards still around the US that build large Navy vessels and a few smaller ones that build oil and gas/commercial stuff that must be made domestically per the Jones act. Scaling up capacity and a skilled labor force to start replacing the massive losses to commercial (not to mention military) shipping a large scale war would involve would be very hard to mobilize for. Maaaybe/hopefully the core of maybe 50-100,000 shipbuilders still employed in the US are enough of a nucleus to rebuild the industry off of, but man would we need a bunch more welders. There’s only one yard (Newport News)that can build carriers and it takes a decade for each one, and IIRC only one yard (Ingalls) that can handle the smaller LHA/LHD stuff too.

It’s a very labor intensive industry not well suited to automation and involves a huge downstream supply chain as far as engines etc, which is why a big reason why developing industrial nations have historically subsidized it to develop an industrial base. That’s led to huge oversupply, and the closure of higher cost western yards, except those doing specialized defense/luxury work. Japanese and American yards put all the European yards out of work in the post war period, then in the past 30 yrs the Koreans undercut the Japanese and Americans, and now the Chinese and Vietnamese are undercutting everyone.

Yep. There used to be major ship building facilities in nearly every major blue water port in the US...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Is there a single ship building facility in the world that would be able to survive the opening weeks of any peer conflict? Even one that is purely conventional?

The kind of ship building effort that occurred during WW2 seems to me almost impossible to replicate under the constant threat of modern stand off weapons.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Is there a single ship building facility in the world that would be able to survive the opening weeks of any peer conflict? Even one that is purely conventional?

The kind of ship building effort that occurred during WW2 seems to me almost impossible to replicate under the constant threat of modern stand off weapons.

What would a non nuclear peer conflict involving continental US shipyards being destroyed look like?

Seriously, I have no idea how it could happen without nukes flying.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sub launched cruise missiles? I know we have a lead on the intelligent cruise missile thing but russian had a huge lead on us on antiship missiles for the longest time and im assuming either russia or china at minimum has beem able to make a cruise missile that can seaskim and hit the naval yards from 100km offshore. Or launching their normal antiship cruise missiles (if they're sub launchable)and hoping that doing significant damage to a hull in production messes up the yards themselves. That sub would probably be dead soon after but wouldnt you trade a sub and 100 sailors for taking out the only yard capable of building replacement carriers for the united states navy?

Edit: i dont know how a conflict against a nation large enough to pull it off would stay nonnuclear either its just the only way i can think of it happening in a conventional war. Im assuming the sea access to those yards is as tightly controlled as airspace at nellis or SAC hq so a speedboat with an asston of explosives wouldnt be able to suicide charge into them

Stravag fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 17, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

What would a non nuclear peer conflict involving continental US shipyards being destroyed look like?

Seriously, I have no idea how it could happen without nukes flying.

Yeah same. I'm trying to imagine Avondale shipyard in the middle of New Orleans getting hit by airstrikes or something and I don't see how that happens without something else turning into radioactive ash.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

Sub launched cruise missiles? I know we have a lead on the intelligent cruise missile thing but russian had a huge lead on us on antiship missiles for the longest time and im assuming either russia or china at minimum has beem able to make a cruise missile that can seaskim and hit the naval yards from 100km offshore. Or launching their normal antiship cruise missiles (if they're sub launchable)and hoping that doing significant damage to a hull in production messes up the yards themselves. That sub would probably be dead soon after but wouldnt you trade a sub and 100 sailors for taking out the only yard capable of building replacement carriers for the united states navy?

Edit: i dont know how a conflict against a nation large enough to pull it off would stay nonnuclear either its just the only way i can think of it happening in a conventional war. Im assuming the sea access to those yards is as tightly controlled as airspace at nellis or SAC hq so a speedboat with an asston of explosives wouldnt be able to suicide charge into them

I don't think a speedboat with an asston of explosives would actually do all that much damage to a major shipyard. It could so some local damage, sure but those facilities are huge. Likewise for a single cruise missile. If you could dump an entire SSGN's worth of cruies missiles into such a facility then you'd be on to something.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stravag posted:

You could pretty much ride a fishing boat right up to Ingalls, at least a few years ago. Don’t know about Newport News, but I’d assume security is a bit tighter. Is a fishing boat full of explosives going to do much damage to a huge concrete pier/dry dock? Probably not.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
If we would end the world over a Chinese Dolittle Raid, we probably should give up in the western Pacific now. There is no way a conventional conflict doesn't involve targets on the Chinese mainland, and I'd think we should expect turnabout.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Captain von Trapp posted:

If we would end the world over a Chinese Dolittle Raid, we probably should give up in the western Pacific now. There is no way a conventional conflict doesn't involve targets on the Chinese mainland, and I'd think we should expect turnabout.

China's strict No First Use policy says otherwise.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Click denier from the sad, failing NYT: The day all pigs would die

quote:

WULONGQIAO, China — A devastating disease spreading from China has wiped out roughly one-quarter of the world’s pigs, reshaping farming and hitting the diets and pocketbooks of consumers around the globe.

China’s unsuccessful efforts to stop the disease may have hastened the spread — creating problems that could bedevil Beijing and global agriculture for years to come.

To halt African swine fever, as the disease is called, the authorities must persuade farmers to kill infected pigs and dispose of them properly. But in China, officials have been frugal to the point of stingy, requiring farmers to jump through hoops to seek compensation from often cash-poor local governments.

As a result, Chinese officials are not reaching farmers like Peng Weita. When one of his pigs suddenly died three months ago from swine fever, he said, he quickly slaughtered his other four dozen before they could fall sick as well. But he buried them and took a big loss rather than reporting the deaths to the government for compensation.

“Three years of costs were all for nothing,” Mr. Peng said.

His loss was the government’s as well. Because he did not report the episode, local officials could not make sure he followed all the steps necessary to halt the spread, like burying carcasses a considerable distance from the farm. Mr. Peng said he probably buried them too close to his farm but declined to discuss details of the disposal.

The epidemic shows the limits of China’s emphasis on government-driven, top-down solutions to major problems, sometimes at the expense of the practical. It has also laid bare the struggle of a country of 1.4 billion people to feed itself.

China has long viewed food security as tantamount to national security. {uh guys, this is true of literally everywhere, it is just usually it is not a big worry} It had become essentially self-reliant in pork as well as in rice and wheat thanks to subsidies and aggressive farmland management. The swine fever epidemic will test that commitment to its increasingly affluent people, who more often expect meat at the dinner table.

The pig disease — a highly contagious and untreatable plague which is not fatal to humans but can be spread by us — has now extended swiftly out of China. It has moved across nine other Asian countries, particularly Vietnam, which is the world’s fifth-largest pork producer and has lost much of its herd this autumn. Before reaching China, the disease had been slowly infecting occasional farms in Russia and elsewhere in Eastern Europe.

Powered by pork, China’s overall food prices last month were one-fifth higher than they were a year ago, after seven years of little change. Large purchases of pork by China are driving up live hog prices in the United States, Europe and around the globe, pushing up costs for everything from German sausages to Vietnamese pork meatballs.

Editors’ Picks
‘S.N.L.' has a new episode this weekend
She Changed the Way We Eat, but the 'we' in this sentence could mean just about anything
Brad Pitt on something

Beef and lamb prices have risen as families worldwide seek alternatives, so much so that overall meat prices in international commodity markets have increased nearly 20 percent in the past year. Brazil is now ramping up beef and chicken production to meet demand, partly by burning forests in the Amazon to clear land for agriculture.

“The epidemic could have broad and deep economic impacts at the global level,” said Boubaker Ben Belhassen, the director of trade and markets at the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization in Rome. “We don’t think there’s enough pork in the world to offset China’s shortfall.”

China used to have 440 million pigs — almost half the world’s population — but its herd has shrunk by half or more, according to Rabobank, a Dutch bank with a heavy agricultural focus. Pork prices in China have more than doubled.

The problem has become so pressing that Beijing accepted a partial trade deal with the United States last month, in part to resume imports of American food. Pig prices have climbed so high that one livestock company, Guangxi Yangxiang, printed red banners to recruit potential farmers that read, “Raise 10 sows and drive a BMW next year.”

Stopping the epidemic was always going to be tough. Small farms, often packed together in crowded agricultural areas, produce nearly half of China’s pigs. To stop diseases from spreading, Chinese officials have to reach millions of traditional small farmers.

China’s leadership has focused on remaking farming to stop the spread. With generous subsidies, Beijing has ordered governments and businesses to build industrial-scale farms with safeguards like quarantine areas for new arrivals and incinerators for diseased pigs.

That solution could help long-term, but China’s immediate response may have made the spread worse.

When the swine fever began to spread 16 months ago, the Ministry of Agriculture told the country’s local governments to cull all pigs in herds if there was even one sick animal, and to compensate the farmers. The ministry authorized local governments to pay up to $115 for the largest pigs, a cap later raised to $170. Before the epidemic, however, many pigs sold for $250 or more apiece, particularly breeding sows, according to government data. With the epidemic, the price has soared to $600 or more.

To get that partial reimbursement, many farmers had to deal with tightfisted local officials. The ministry said it would reimburse local governments only for between 40 percent and 80 percent of their costs. Local governments also had to provide proof, often including laboratory tests, that pigs died of African swine fever and not some other ailment.

As a result, culling has been slow. Official data show only 1.2 million pigs, or less than 0.3 percent of the country’s herds, have been culled. It is not clear where the rest of the country’s vanished herds went, but food experts say many were likely butchered and turned into food. That would worsen the spread, because the disease can lurk in meat for months.

Australia has found that almost half of the sausages and other pork products carried by recently arriving passengers or the mail were contaminated, said Mark Schipp, the president of the 182-nation World Organization for Animal Health in Paris and Australia’s chief veterinarian.

In Wulongqiao, a quiet village in the low, pine-studded hills of northern Hunan Province, a number of farmers said they did not bother with seeking compensation, citing the low payout.

Where many pigs went is a mystery. Mr. Peng, the farmer, said that when he slaughtered his pigs, he had panicked and buried them in secrecy, and so had no record of what became of them. He filed for the loss under his commercial insurance, which covered only a tenth of the value of the pigs, he said.

Chinese officials have tried to be reassuring. In April, July and October, officials said they had brought the disease under control, only to see signs of further spread. Each new statement was provided by a less senior official than the one before. Most recently, the agriculture ministry said that it only hoped production at the end of next year would be four-fifths of normal levels — still a shortfall equal to the entire pork production of the United States, the world’s second-largest pork-producing nation.

For now, dying pigs and rising pork prices are changing diets and cooking practices across China.

Su Dezhi, a pork butcher at an open-air market about 20 miles from Mr. Chen’s farm, said that he used to buy and carve up two pigs a day for sale. Now he can only sell half a pig a day. The wholesale price per pound for him to buy pigs has more than tripled.

“I can barely cover my costs,” he said, a large cleaver in his hand as he stood behind a table with only a few bloody slabs of pork.

Yet many in China seem reluctant to eat anything else. Across an aisle from Mr. Su stood several large cages full of chickens and ducks. But the poultry vendor, She Xinbao, said that his sales had only increased from about 30 birds a day to 33 or 34, partly because poultry prices have also risen.

Those who have pigs have enjoyed the surging prices. Chen Zhixiang, a 36-year-old pig farmer with a black dragon tattoo on his right forearm, is among the very few pig farmers in Wulongqiao who have not lost any pigs. He said he had cooked meals for his pigs from raw corn this year rather than buy feed that might be contaminated.

Pigs have become so rare in his part of Hunan Province that when he drives to a village these days to sell an animal or two, he draws a crowd.

“People gathered around the truck to stare at them,” he said. “It’s like they were seeing a panda.”

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Isn't swine the biggest mixer for diseases jumping to humans? I thought diseases in pigs are potentially plague starting.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There have been a bunch of visitors turning up to airports in Australia carrying pork products recently. The punishment for that is pretty light.

You get the gently caress out and you don't get to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Isn't swine the biggest mixer for diseases jumping to humans? I thought diseases in pigs are potentially plague starting.

Them and birds but for flu virus mostly.

Those happen but sporadically. The bigger constant societal danger is using antibiotics 24/7 on those animal farms.