Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

It's funny how the game went from 'I think Bloodborne was a Demon's Souls sequel at one point because there's like two cut lines of dialogue where they say 'Umbasa'" and then eventually they literally find one of the most direct and significant references to Demon's Souls possible.

What's this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

MZ posted:

Picked up Death Stranding after being on the fence for a while, still not sure if I'll like it but it's so unique I had to check it out.

Is there anything I should know before going in, e.g. missions to avoid, things to get ASAP??

(Sorry to be that guy, but I'm an adult with responsibilities and limited free time so I'd like my play-through to be efficient if possible).

The area that you get to in Chapter 3 is the same area you'll be in for the rest of the game (you keep expanding west but it's all one huge map), so don't feel like you need to max everything out before moving on with the plot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bows1 posted:

yeah I mean its my only Kojima experience so I guess im a fan of the gameplay but not the storytelling.
DS would probably not be a great introduction to Kojima’s stuff IMO

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

There's a few posts on the last page that list it, but basically players took a lot of time and effectively reverse engineered how the chalice dungeons work, so you can put in a code from lists to guarantee certain items will be in them, bosses, etc.

After doing that a lot, they found ways to view and access some environments and bosses that do actually appear in the final game at any point at all! One of these is the giant snake ball boss from when that was going to be its own great one instead of an enemy found throughout the Forbidden Forest (you would have fought it where you fight the Shadow of Yharnam in the actual game). The others are some early/unused versions of existing bosses, as well as some unique ones that are much more Dark Souls-like in their design.

However eventually someone found that, in the game, is the actual place beach where you confront and enter the Old One from Demon's Souls.

In early demos of Bloodborne the Father Gascoigne boss would say some Demon's Souls-esque stuff now and then (and there was a ton of cut dialogue from him in general, you were originally to be able to chat with him quite a bit before encountering him later as a boss) but it was dismissed (I think possibly even by From themselves) as just some thing they threw in as filler. But it did seem weird they'd record new voice work of the guy saying Umbasa and stuff.

But now it's like, to have an environment from so far back from a different engine in the game from a game from 2009? That makes it seem more like they intended for Bloodborne to be much more connected to Demon's Souls than was ever let on, if not an outright sequel to Demon's Souls, since that game was all about the Old One and Bloodborne has Great Ones, the way both games start out like they're a very particular niche of fantasy before introducing more Lovecraftian sort of stuff (though Bloodborne of course goes way further into that way sooner), the more intricate and urban level design, etc.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I bought a ps3 in 2019 and played mgs1-4 in completion before death stranding and god drat it was the best decision I ever made. First time playing ms1 or 4.... so good. Mgs1 now in my top ten games list of all time.

Death stranding is goty

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I feel at odds with death stranding, i enjoyed the 12 hours/3 chapters i played but i lost my save and the thought of replaying those sections again is paralyzing.

Still it was a good excuse to make a fresh start on Sekiro.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Imhotep posted:

You can only get the Beast Claws, Blades of Mercy, Burial Blade, Chikage, Kirkhammer, Logarius Wheel, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Reiterpallasch, Rifle Spear, Stake Driver and the Tonitrus, but somoe of those are really fun early in the game, typically I'd ask a friend if they wanted to do it with me to get the runes at the very least, since you can get the highest tiers of Clockwise and Anti Clockwise metamorphosis runes (health up and stamina regen or just up), as well as a few other level 3 tier runes, which are useful to everyone.

Hey what Chalices have Ludwig's Holy Blades? I'm really curious because the old image doesn't list them but I'd love to be able to fast track it/other weapons not on that original image.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maybe they just used Demon's Souls stuff to test the game? That would be my guess

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Hey what Chalices have Ludwig's Holy Blades? I'm really curious because the old image doesn't list them but I'd love to be able to fast track it/other weapons not on that original image.

There isn't any reason to do chalices for that one though. You can get it normally at the exact same point in the game - as soon as you beat blood starved beast.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Regy Rusty posted:

There isn't any reason to do chalices for that one though. You can get it normally at the exact same point in the game - as soon as you beat blood starved beast.

i mean it saves you a decent amount of blood echoes i guess

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a few posts on the last page that list it, but basically players took a lot of time and effectively reverse engineered how the chalice dungeons work, so you can put in a code from lists to guarantee certain items will be in them, bosses, etc.

After doing that a lot, they found ways to view and access some environments and bosses that do actually appear in the final game at any point at all! One of these is the giant snake ball boss from when that was going to be its own great one instead of an enemy found throughout the Forbidden Forest (you would have fought it where you fight the Shadow of Yharnam in the actual game). The others are some early/unused versions of existing bosses, as well as some unique ones that are much more Dark Souls-like in their design.

However eventually someone found that, in the game, is the actual place beach where you confront and enter the Old One from Demon's Souls.

In early demos of Bloodborne the Father Gascoigne boss would say some Demon's Souls-esque stuff now and then (and there was a ton of cut dialogue from him in general, you were originally to be able to chat with him quite a bit before encountering him later as a boss) but it was dismissed (I think possibly even by From themselves) as just some thing they threw in as filler. But it did seem weird they'd record new voice work of the guy saying Umbasa and stuff.

But now it's like, to have an environment from so far back from a different engine in the game from a game from 2009? That makes it seem more like they intended for Bloodborne to be much more connected to Demon's Souls than was ever let on, if not an outright sequel to Demon's Souls, since that game was all about the Old One and Bloodborne has Great Ones, the way both games start out like they're a very particular niche of fantasy before introducing more Lovecraftian sort of stuff (though Bloodborne of course goes way further into that way sooner), the more intricate and urban level design, etc.

I like that Demon’s Souls is also “Lovecraftian” in a way, except it’s basically medieval times so the medieval equivalent of “a cold uncaring universe where the gods are scary and barely even notice your existence” is God is about as smart as a dog.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Maybe they just used Demon's Souls stuff to test the game? That would be my guess

That wouldn't be weird because Demon's Souls is a Sony exclusive game so they could use these assets while they shouldn't use DS1/2/3 ones since they're Bandai Namco games. Finding code/assets from older games that acted as filler during development that someone forgot to remove from the final version isn't weird.

But as Neo Rasa pointed, it may be an early attempt to link Demon's Souls to Bloodborne (as they're both Playstation games) that got ditched. But the Hunter's Dream having gravestones as a way to teleport to "worlds" feels a lot like DeS' Nexus. The biggest difference I can see is that you can't go from World 1 to 3 on Demon's Souls without porting to the Nexus while most of Bloodborne's map can be visited without ever going to the Hunter's Dream. On top of my head the only "dead ends" that force you to visit the HUB to progress are Moonside Lake and both nightmares (I don't count Lecture Hall since you get ported there from Yharnam).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wish there was more Bloodborne to play !

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hell yeah Sekiro is great but if they just dropped a The Old Hunters caliber DLC every two years for Bloodborne forever it'd be amazing. Still I appreciate that they're always willing to change up stuff from game to game.

I think the ONLY flaw with Bloodborne is that you don't just have access to almost every weapon in the game from the start. You are a little limited with what you can experiment and upgrade with on each play through it.

Pulcinella posted:

I like that Demon’s Souls is also “Lovecraftian” in a way, except it’s basically medieval times so the medieval equivalent of “a cold uncaring universe where the gods are scary and barely even notice your existence” is God is about as smart as a dog.

I really do like the way that develops through the game, the way that like the pseudo-Catholic characters in Demon's Souls especially, like the Lovecraftian "horror" part isn't your god isn't real or your god is evil or your god was destroyed, it's you're god is ABSOLUTELY and powerful but will never acknowledge you and you will never comprehend it. It's just...there.

Man murdering those guys was the most cathartic part of the game lol, just teach me Evacuate and go to hell assholes

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 16, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Hacked Chalice Dungeons really reinvigorated the community because it enabled virtually every build to be doable from Bloodstarved Beast on. It was like a second Renaissance.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

The Hacked Chalice Dungeons really reinvigorated the community because it enabled virtually every build to be doable from Bloodstarved Beast on. It was like a second Renaissance.

*looks sadly at post ludwig dlc weapons*

If only...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah for some reason i have a brain broken relationship with not liking to play really high levels or NG+ at all and i am too bad to get the bow blade early in a fresh run.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Like how are you going to make a weapon as insanely badass lore and design-wise as THE BEAST CUTTER and not also make that one of the starting weapons.

I like that difference between how there's the hunter and church weapons that are "trick" weapons in that their default appearance is like a tool or a more ceremonial kind of weapon that a church official or a regular dude with a day job wouldn't be seen as out of place if they were walking around with it. And then there's The Old Hunter weapons which in both forms are just THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS THING IS THE RIP AND TEAR THE poo poo OUT OF MONSTERS AND INFECTED HUMANS AS SPECTACULARLY AS POSSIBLE.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always interpreted it as the DLC weapons were so horrifically effective that they were the stuff of nightmares and the violence they were capable of would literally drive you insane.

Like seriously try to imagine what a normal human being might look like after getting hit with the Pizza Cutter. You’d need dental records to identify the pile of chili that was leftover.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Neo Rasa posted:

Like how are you going to make a weapon as insanely badass lore and design-wise as THE BEAST CUTTER and not also make that one of the starting weapons.

I like that difference between how there's the hunter and church weapons that are "trick" weapons in that their default appearance is like a tool or a more ceremonial kind of weapon that a church official or a regular dude with a day job wouldn't be seen as out of place if they were walking around with it. And then there's The Old Hunter weapons which in both forms are just THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS THING IS THE RIP AND TEAR THE poo poo OUT OF MONSTERS AND INFECTED HUMANS AS SPECTACULARLY AS POSSIBLE.

the beast cutter is actually one of the easier weapons to pick up out of the dlc without too much effort. like that and the saif and uhhhhh amygdala arm i think? are all pretty easy to run in and snatch

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

the beast cutter is actually one of the easier weapons to pick up out of the dlc without too much effort. like that and the saif and uhhhhh amygdala arm i think? are all pretty easy to run in and snatch

Beastcutter, saif, boom hammer, amygdala arm, and pizza cutter all can be gotten with suicide runs as they don't require killing any enemies. Bowblade you have to kill Simon. Everything else is past Ludwig and therefore super hard to get at low levels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Beast cutter is about 30-40 seconds run into the DLC. Boom Hammer is the next one inside the house that resembles Central Yharnam shortcut, Amys arm is a slightly longer run and has some rear end in a top hat enemies close by. The saif is behind another rear end in a top hat hunter and pizza cutter is the last of the five weapons that you can get early into the game without needing to kill a single enemy.

Neo Rasa posted:

The Boom Hammer is maybe the more "normal" looking one but then you realize that it has a mini furnaze to put powder inside and then make poo poo go BOOM on impact. :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

I always interpreted it as the DLC weapons were so horrifically effective that they were the stuff of nightmares and the violence they were capable of would literally drive you insane.

Like seriously try to imagine what a normal human being might look like after getting hit with the Pizza Cutter. You'd need dental records to identify the pile of chili that was leftover.

You are literally getting them in the Hunter's Nightmare.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Come laugh at my misfortune or give me moral support as I play Doom nightmare poorly.

https://www.twitch.tv/monostat7

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Godspeed, Doomer!

WaltherFeng posted:

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who loved the gameplay in Death Stranding but give me a hour long cutscene with Kojima explaining every plot thread in painstaking detail and I'm hooked.

Oh yes, Kojima cutscenes are a gift. A pleasure to put down the controller after a perilous journey.

ethanol posted:

I bought a ps3 in 2019 and played mgs1-4 in completion before death stranding and god drat it was the best decision I ever made. First time playing ms1 or 4.... so good. Mgs1 now in my top ten games list of all time.

Death stranding is goty

That is beautiful. And agreed.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 16, 2019

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Come laugh at my misfortune or give me moral support as I play Doom nightmare poorly.

https://www.twitch.tv/monostat7

Well I'm never playing Doom on nightmare. I just watched the same shield guy kill you three times in a row and now I want to throw a controller at a wall

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not gonna lie it’s probably painful to watch

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
shoot some barrels ffs

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

Not gonna lie it’s probably painful to watch

Hilarious, though. I wanted to post about how I started watching in time to see you die, but quickly realised that was a regular occurrence :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ethanol posted:

Death stranding is goty

This makes me so happy. MGS1 is insanely loving good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

thanks for humoring me guys. First time I have streamed a game and I quickly realized that I get all anxious with people watching haha.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Neo Rasa posted:

To be fair it's not literally the same map file from Demon's Souls. It just has similar architecture. You can find some comparison shots here: https://imgur.com/a/J71dk

I am in the camp of folks who believe that the game at one point was Demon's Souls 2. I believed that ever since I first saw the dead knight guys in the chalice dungeons in the same pose from the DeS box art.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

thanks for humoring me guys. First time I have streamed a game and I quickly realized that I get all anxious with people watching haha.

lol

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

FlamingLiberal posted:

DS would probably not be a great introduction to Kojima’s stuff IMO

I don't know, I guess I was very familiar with MGS through friends, but it was my first Kojima game or at least the first that I finished and I loved it!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Reviews of Wattam are coming out and it sounds like extremely my poo poo. Cheerful colorful nonsense jank.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Nice! I can't wait, it's preloaded and unlocks in 2 hours. I want to play the multiplayer, but I still don't even know what this game is but I'm excited.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Imhotep posted:

Nice! I can't wait, it's preloaded and unlocks in 2 hours. I want to play the multiplayer, but I still don't even know what this game is but I'm excited.

wasn't it made by the guy who made Katamari Damacy? that's how I felt about that when it came out.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

morallyobjected posted:

wasn't it made by the guy who made Katamari Damacy? that's how I felt about that when it came out.

Yeah, I hadn't played any of the Katamari games until I got Katamari Reroll earlier this year, for the Switch and I've been obsessed with it. Seems like Wattam has been in development for a while now, I remember hearing about it because Annapurna is publishing Wattam, but I put on the IGN review while doing other stuff and still don't know what it's about. It got an 8, and the review was really positive, with the only downside according to the reviewer being that it's 'very short' at like 2 and half hours long, which is whatever, I only paid like $15 for it, but if it's anything like Katamari or even half as replayable, then it'll be worth it.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So a friend of mine has an old PS4 with P.T. on it, and I was looking to copy it onto his current PS4 (he picked up a PS4 Pro and gave his old launch model to another friend of ours) since he didn't copy it over when he first got the PS4, since he didn't plan on playing through it any time soon. Now we're looking to get it copied over so both of us can have it on the PS4 and the PS4 Pro, the problem being that the PS4 Pro has been in use for a bit. It's my current understanding that the only methods of transferring poo poo from one PS4 to another are through system transfers, where the "old PS4" is used to initialize (and format) the "new PS4", or using an external hard drive.

My issue with the former is I don't want to format the PS4 and have to redownload everything on it (saves aren't an issue since they can just be backed up with PS+) and my issue with the latter is I want to copy it and have it available on the old PS4 and the PS4 Pro, instead of just one at a time (which is the way that it's worded on the Support Page for External Hard Drives, that it isn't copying anything, just moving it from the PS4 to the external hard drive). Are there any other ways to go about what I want to do or is my best option the System Transfer and then re-downloading of everything?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just leave pt on the old console and write spooky on the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is that really going to be an orphaned demo forever? I can't immediately think of anything else like it in the history of digital distribution of games.