Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenomrph posted:

The blueprints book doesn't have full deck-by-deck specs for the Sulaco, but it does have the locations seen in the movie (cryopod bay, mess hall and armory, hangar).

I got you, fam
https://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Technical-Manual/dp/1781161313/

to everyone reading this, Xenomrph has a playthrough of Alien Vs. Predator where guys from the movies do his intros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Owlbear Camus posted:

Prepare yourself for some powerful knowledge acquisition, such as the proper prone firing position for the M56 smart gun.

That was one of the first things I looked up.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Just watched Resurrection for the first time, it was off the charts fuckin' stupid. Not sure what I was expecting after seeing 3, but goddamn.

I'm just going to pretend everything after Aliens didn't happen. Ripley and Hicks and Newt went off to do something actually interesting, the end.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They did do something interesting.

They died.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ghostnuke posted:

Just watched Resurrection for the first time, it was off the charts fuckin' stupid. Not sure what I was expecting after seeing 3, but goddamn.

I'm just going to pretend everything after Aliens didn't happen. Ripley and Hicks and Newt went off to do something actually interesting, the end.

Im thinking this might the reason i still havent put 4 in teh dvd player to watch it ><

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Prepare yourself for some powerful knowledge acquisition, such as the proper prone firing position for the M56 smart gun.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

People keep saying we strayed into hell dimension after 2016 but really the timelines diverged after Alien 3 was greenlit.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It took quite a few times watching but I don't mind Alien 3. The director's cut adds and changes a few things which help the story out a bit. However I don't like the horribly dark turn it took, including killing off two main characters from Aliens in such a dumb way. "Movie begins: yeah so they're dead btw lol."

Resurrection isn't good. It's "silly" which I never like in a movie unless it's very self aware and 4 definitely isn't. I can watch it but I don't.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The recut 3 is a potentially good film with what could charitably called "a few flaws", such as pointlessly killing off three main characters (Bishop counts), the attempted rape scene etc. But if enjoying 3 is eating around the bad parts then enjoying 4 is licking the chocolate sprinkles off a sloppy turd.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I ain't got time for movies you have to watch dozens of times before they don't suck when I could just watch a movie that doesn't suck immediately, like Alien or Aliens

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Right? It's just depressing seeing the giant drop off the series took after Aliens when the first two were so good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The one thing I'll give Alien 3 credit is introducing me to David Fincher.

I was already aware of Jean-Pierre Jeunet so Alien Resurrection was the real disappointment. This movie also introduced me to Joss Whedon, which correctly formed my opinion of him.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Resurrection does have Ron Perlman, who can do no wrong.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

So does The Island of Doctor Moreau.

He sure can pick em!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

:hmmyes:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Xenomrph posted:

Ahem.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 17, 2019

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Holy poo poo. Just wait till you see Covenant.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Covenant is where I stopped watching the movies and joking they didn't exist and started just not giving them the chance in the first place

Gonna recommend it

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^^^ Yeah, no doubt.

purple death ray posted:

I ain't got time for movies you have to watch dozens of times before they don't suck when I could just watch a movie that doesn't suck immediately, like Alien or Aliens

For the Ridley Scott dementia prequels, it was the opposite for me. I actually kind of dug Prometheus the first one or two times I watched it, but slowly the criticisms people were making became apparent to me and now I can't watch it at all. The only scene worthy of the Alien franchise is the emergency c-section scene, that still makes my skin crawl.

Covenant, on the other hand, I hated about 20 minutes in. I was so close to walking out of the theatre and demanding my money back but it was just such a raucous theatre experience, everyone in the audience knew it was hot garbage. Weird alien flower? Better stick my nose right in that poo poo. That "I'll do the fingering" bit had us all laughing like twelve-year-olds, and there's also a scene with David trying to lure some guy into his dungeon to put a facehugger on him - some kid a few rows ahead of me loudly went "yo, this guy's fucken stooopid" and I chuckled.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

This movie also introduced me to Joss Whedon, which correctly formed my opinion of him.

Pretty much the same reason I never bought into the JOSS WHEDON IS FEMANAST JEZUS! poo poo from a few years ago. The icing on that cake is his insistence that it's everything but the script and specifically the script that's wrong.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

^^^ Yeah, no doubt.

For the Ridley Scott dementia prequels, it was the opposite for me. I actually kind of dug Prometheus the first one or two times I watched it, but slowly the criticisms people were making became apparent to me and now I can't watch it at all. The only scene worthy of the Alien franchise is the emergency c-section scene, that still makes my skin crawl.

I consider them to be akin to stuff like Superman: Red Son or The Dark Knight Returns - other universe tales that while are still part of the Alien films, are only tangential to the overall lore of the series.

I wanted to like Prometheus, but I hated it it the first time I saw it. I rewatched it again last year, and I found my opinion on it has softened somewhat, although I still think it's pretty loving weak.

IMO, the strengths are (in no particular order):

1. The creature designs and practical effects
2. The body horror aspect of the film
3. The exploration of the temple is actually pretty neat
4. The haunted house in space angle it takes on
5. I liked Marc Streitenfeld's score

And its major weaknesses (also, in no particular order):
1. The characters are more poorly drawn out caricatures. The film is also hurt by the fact that Shaw is a fundamentally boring wet blanket of a character, and while I suppose Holloway is meant to be unlikeable, they lean way too much into it. The guy's just a complete oval office to David for no reason.
2. The major plot points that are meant to be profound or meaningful, but are never given enough time or gravity to be meaningful. Case in point "OMG Vickers was Weyland's daughter!" or "Old man Weyland was alive and secretly on the ship the whole time!" Because neither really get any significant follow-up, it's like "who cares?" No one onscreen seems to.
3. The film collapses in on itself in the final act, when its attempt at profundity ends up becoming an overreach. It's like the film is trying to convey all these ideas, and never quite sticks the landing anywhere.

The whole "why did David know what would happen if he put the black goo in Holloway's drink?" criticism that I remember popping up back then though, IMO, was bullshit. It's loving obvious David had no idea what would happen, he just knew it would be something bad, and he wanted to find out what that would be. Plus, gently caress Holloway, so why not use that shitcunt for such an experiment.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Vagabundo posted:

I consider them to be akin to stuff like Superman: Red Son or The Dark Knight Returns - other universe tales that while are still part of the Alien films, are only tangential to the overall lore of the series.

I wanted to like Prometheus, but I hated it it the first time I saw it. I rewatched it again last year, and I found my opinion on it has softened somewhat, although I still think it's pretty loving weak.

IMO, the strengths are (in no particular order):

1. The creature designs and practical effects
2. The body horror aspect of the film
3. The exploration of the temple is actually pretty neat
4. The haunted house in space angle it takes on
5. I liked Marc Streitenfeld's score

And its major weaknesses (also, in no particular order):
1. The characters are more poorly drawn out caricatures. The film is also hurt by the fact that Shaw is a fundamentally boring wet blanket of a character, and while I suppose Holloway is meant to be unlikeable, they lean way too much into it. The guy's just a complete oval office to David for no reason.
2. The major plot points that are meant to be profound or meaningful, but are never given enough time or gravity to be meaningful. Case in point "OMG Vickers was Weyland's daughter!" or "Old man Weyland was alive and secretly on the ship the whole time!" Because neither really get any significant follow-up, it's like "who cares?" No one onscreen seems to.
3. The film collapses in on itself in the final act, when its attempt at profundity ends up becoming an overreach. It's like the film is trying to convey all these ideas, and never quite sticks the landing anywhere.

The whole "why did David know what would happen if he put the black goo in Holloway's drink?" criticism that I remember popping up back then though, IMO, was bullshit. It's loving obvious David had no idea what would happen, he just knew it would be something bad, and he wanted to find out what that would be. Plus, gently caress Holloway, so why not use that shitcunt for such an experiment.

gendered slurs. more than one in fact.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Torquemada posted:

gendered slurs. more than one in fact.

You might want to read up on the use of "oval office" outside of the US.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Someone said "oval office" in my movie about face raping space parasites and I simply won't stand for it!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Vagabundo posted:

You might want to read up on the use of "oval office" outside of the US.

Tbh if "it's a different culture!!" doesn't excuse poo poo like zwarte pete it probably shouldn't excuse every Australian's favorite punctuation, either

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

get away from her you esteemed fellow womyn

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

get away from her you esteemed fellow womyn

Or just do what the official novelization for ‘Aliens’ did and omit all of the profanity altogether! :shuckyes:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

getting extremely hosed up and watching the Fifth Element, smiling pleasantly.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Xenomrph posted:

Or just do what the official novelization for ‘Aliens’ did and omit all of the profanity altogether! :shuckyes:

Get away from her, you!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I feel like you've contradicted your own statement

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

A friend gifted me the Weyland-Yutani Report for our circle's secret Santa. Hell yeah can't wait to get home and flip through it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Tbh if "it's a different culture!!" doesn't excuse poo poo like zwarte pete it probably shouldn't excuse every Australian's favorite punctuation, either

Otoh the US makes up <5% of the world's population, so expecting everything to be done their way is hilariously stupid.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I enjoyed the parts in Covenant where the dude's jaw got snapped off and the humans generally died terribly

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The 'backburster' scene was pretty gnarly, but to me it just reeked of tryhard, like they had to one-up the body horror of the original. The chestburster is gnarly enough, just do that again.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Maya Fey posted:

getting extremely hosed up and watching the Fifth Element, smiling pleasantly.

Temba, getting extremely hosed up and watching the Fifth Element. Shaka, smiling pleasantly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Otoh the US makes up <5% of the world's population, so expecting everything to be done their way is hilariously stupid.

Sounds like you need a little more "freedom" if you don't start getting on board.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

The 'backburster' scene was pretty gnarly, but to me it just reeked of tryhard, like they had to one-up the body horror of the original. The chestburster is gnarly enough, just do that again.

The guy barfing up the alien in covenant was the most viscerally disgusting moment in the entire Alien series.

It was awesome.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Aliens Vs Predator and Aliens Vs Predator 2000 (as well as some expansions) are on sale on Steam for a pittance right now.
I finally got around to buying them so I'm looking forward to some good old school screechy screechy blasty blasty this weekend.