Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Sekiro is perfect and if they can fit any of its mechanics into Elden Ring then great, but I don't see it working. And Bloodborne, and now Sekiro (or like, most of Sekiro, if I skip certain bosses) are the most chill for me, and DS3 is in between, but DS1 is just frustrating at times and just straight up stupid sometimes (Bed of Chaos), and like DS2 is super easy for a lot of it, and then the DLC seems like the devs realizing the vanilla game was actually not too hard so they overcompensated and you have poo poo like the boss run to the blue Smelter Demon is so lovely, I just tried it again on my second NG character and decided it's not worth it, even though I think Sir Alonne is the best boss in the game and maybe the best boss arena out of the 3 Dark Souls games, or at the very least it's got the shiniest floor I've seen in any of the games.

Also, since someone mentioned Maldron, I forgot what the entire encounter was like and I laughed way too hard at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTuaZ4UqAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Maldron is the best npc in any fromsoft game

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Haha, I remember running into that guy. I was immediately suspicious because I hadn't summoned him, and even though he was a white phantom I could lock on to him, so I figured gently caress it I'm gonna kill him and look him up later.

Dark Souls honed my instincts well

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Rubellavator posted:

Maldron is the best npc in any fromsoft game

lol no. He doesn't even talk.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Haha, I remember running into that guy. I was immediately suspicious because I hadn't summoned him, and even though he was a white phantom I could lock on to him, so I figured gently caress it I'm gonna kill him and look him up later.
What you actually should've done is instantly recognise your old buddy maldron from the iron king DLC and give him a warm welcome.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think I did Iron King after Ivory King, so that was the first time I saw him

e: or I'm misremembering and I just didn't recognize him right away, but either way. I ended up using a seed of giants and let everyone else take care of him in Iron King

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My little sorcerer is having a real hard time at chariot, not helped bu what feels like some sluggishness in my controller reacting to the sprint button being held. But I’m also using a +2 sorcerer staff/fire longsword; am I behind pace of where I should be with weapon upgrades at this point?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fifteen of Many posted:

My little sorcerer is having a real hard time at chariot, not helped bu what feels like some sluggishness in my controller reacting to the sprint button being held. But I’m also using a +2 sorcerer staff/fire longsword; am I behind pace of where I should be with weapon upgrades at this point?

Chariot's optional and I don't recall anything behind it you need, so come back later. Finishing FofG should give you enough shards to get one thing to +3 and another to +2, not counting the 10 Lenigrast sells, plus there's more Huntsman's Copse, so you should be able to do better than +2.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Chariot is one of the optional bosses for the first half. You shouldn't have a problem finding more upgrade materials if you need them.

Also, keep in mind if you're at a point where it feels like you're not strong enough, try going somewhere else and exploring. The first part of the game is set up so that you can slowly expand your range, you don't need to do one single path at a time. There's like five different ways out of Majula, some of them less obvious than others--though if you're at the Executioner's Chariot you've already found one of the less-obvious ones.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If you're playing the Scholar edition, you can easily get your weapons to +6. If not, that's probably going to be a bit trickier. Regardless, there should be more than enough shards to get to +3 in both weapons. Do not upgrade armor until weapons are taken care of (+3 before armor gets to +1, +6 before armor gets to +4 and so on), they are far weaker in DS 2 than they were in DS.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Fifteen of Many posted:

My little sorcerer is having a real hard time at chariot...

Try using the yearn spell to distract the skeletons. (If you have it)

The chariot should be killing the skeletons for you. Don't run straight into a safe spot or you'll get overwhelmed. Run in circles untill the last few seconds. Kill the necromancers as you progress slowly.

You may want to try a mace for the first part. Crushing weapons make quick work of the skeletons. A two handed +0 is probably fine.

Basic spells should kill him easily for second part.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Use a shield, I'll allow it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

what feels like some sluggishness in my controller reacting to the sprint button being held.
After running out of stamina, you can't sprint for X amount of time due to being winded (which is signified by a change to the character's idle animation and maybe other ones). To avoid this stop running just before you run out of stamina.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sprint also naturally takes a bit of time to register due to the nature of Sprint and Dodge being bound to the same key.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I think my problem just boils down to the +2 weapons - taking a little longer to kill the necros, which lets the skeletons that have been knocked down or killed already catch up to me and then (since I'm being stubborn and not using a shield, I'm staff/swording it) I'm just stuck in the alcove with four angry skeletons. I upgraded everything to +6 and think that'll fix things. Let's find out!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also make sure you’ve got your ADP up.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Fifteen of Many posted:

I think my problem just boils down to the +2 weapons - taking a little longer to kill the necros, which lets the skeletons that have been knocked down or killed already catch up to me and then (since I'm being stubborn and not using a shield, I'm staff/swording it) I'm just stuck in the alcove with four angry skeletons. I upgraded everything to +6 and think that'll fix things. Let's find out!

It's already been suggested, but I'll re-iterate it: use the Yearn spell (or the alluring skulls).

That way you won't be stuck in an alcove with skeletons, as they will all go marching after the spell, right in the way of the chariot.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Another important tip is that when you shut the gate, you can do the welcome emote in front of it right before the chariot crashes through it and it'll look really badass and you can usually survive the hit without any problems. If you manage to find a co op partner you should always do this.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol no. He doesn't even talk.

he doesn't need to :colbert:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Vermain posted:

Sprint also naturally takes a bit of time to register due to the nature of Sprint and Dodge being bound to the same key.

If memory serves me right, there's actually an intended delay, I think for smooth animtion purposes.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I don't quite understand the infusion system. I have a fire longsword (looted with fire already on it) and the sorcerer's staff. I'm heading towards the staff of wisdom now, but is it worth putting a magic infusion on the fire longsword? I have 40 int and use primarily sorceries/magic weapon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fifteen of Many posted:

I don't quite understand the infusion system. I have a fire longsword (looted with fire already on it) and the sorcerer's staff. I'm heading towards the staff of wisdom now, but is it worth putting a magic infusion on the fire longsword? I have 40 int and use primarily sorceries/magic weapon.

Magic infuse it and then cast magic weapon on it. It will do more damage

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It will have better magic if you do for sure, but it is also good to have a non-magic backup weapon for magic resistant enemies. Might be better to make something else magic instead.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

Basically infusing things splits the base damage between the two types (although I think the total is greater overall), reduces the weapon's primary scaling, but also adds scaling for other stats depending on the infusion. So the fire longsword loses some primary damage, but gains a greater amount of fire damage to compensate, loses some of the str/dex scaling, but then also gains some amount of int/faith scaling. Fire and dark are weird in that they scale off of like the lower of either your int or faith, or the two added together and then averaged or something. If you infuse your fire longsword with magic, its fire damage will become magic damage and it will scale more off of your intelligence, but no longer scale off of faith at all.

So.. yeah, totally worth doing a magic infusion on a magic character, but also worth having a non-infused weapon as a backup in case you run into something that's magic resistant.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Fire Longsword, if that is the source of some confusion, is just a normal-rear end Longsword that comes lre-infused with Fire. Infusing it with Magic will replace that infusion, not add to it.

You can infuse pretty much every weapon. Most infusions make the physical base damage and scaling lower and add elemental base damage and scaling, or an effect and its scaling (e.g. bleed with dex). Raw makes more base damage and no scaling, and Mundane makes it scale with all your stats but completely destroys the base.

Magic and Lightning are the basic Int and Faith scaling options. Dark scales with the LOWER of both, so you want to invest in both equally. Fire scales with the SUM of both, so it's still useful on a pure int build but less than on a dark build as backup.

Infusing weapons that already have that element naturally makes the damage even better, it's a great idea. Enchanting that with the appropriate spell makes it do even MORE damage, so e.g. Moonlight Greatsword infused with magic and with magic weapon = mega damage.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Well, except for the fact that you can't buff the Moonlight Greatsword. It's one of the very few weapons in DS2 that won't accept direct spell/item buffs. It's still a very good weapon, just with a small downside.

You can still get an indirect buff on it, but those are rare and usually work better with physical damage. (An Enchanted, ie all physical MLGS would work.)

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Infusing is in general a great idea if you are going to buff a weapon often. The extra damage is a percentage of the weapon's AR and elemental infusions usually remove 30% physical damage, but then add the remaining 70% physical damage as an element as well, meaning you get 140% damage, no counting scaling. The buff will therefore be 40% better. There appear to be a bonus damage if you buff with the same element as the weapon already have, i.e. magic weapon on a weapon with magic damage already. This bonus is not that great though.

I would personally suggest staying with fire for the purpose of magic resistant enemies. You will have more damage if you change to magic, but only a little.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Haha, I didn't know that, sorry. I just chose that example because it's not much of a spoiler and he likely won't be able to do much with "e.g. the Dragonslayer Axe"

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Don't forget to Magic infuse your sorcerer staffs. If you're only using sorcery it's a good idea.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

Well, except for the fact that you can't buff the Moonlight Greatsword. It's one of the very few weapons in DS2 that won't accept direct spell/item buffs. It's still a very good weapon, just with a small downside.
you used to be able to. This was the build of the month during the early days of the game for pvp until they patched it out. It was really brokenly high damage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I miss all the broken stuff in early DS2. Bat staff dark fog and dual BSS spam are gone forever :smith:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

what i remember most is the no-risk backstep banana parry

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fifteen of Many posted:

If the fire longsword is your primary source of fire damage, don't put all your damage type eggs in one basket. Fire damage scales off of Int anyway, and is good against many enemy types. Just upgrade something else to use as a magic-type weapon, normal titanite upgrade materials are plentiful.

For magic infusion, you want Faintstone, not Magic Stone. Magic Stone is for the Enchanted infusion, which in this game converts the damage type to physical with Int scaling and reduced base damage. There are some uses for that, but limited ones.

Also there is no reason not to use a Faintstone to infuse the Staff of Wisdom, it is a straight-up improvement with no tradeoffs.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
One thing I liked about DS2 was the staffs have different cast speeds. So I used the Witch’s Branch (?, whichever one you find in the Majula hole) because it’s the fastest. It was worth the damage trade off to me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I want to try the mod, but am running into the stupidest problem: after installing it, it only mods a tiny fraction of what it should. I asked in the Nexus comment sections, but just in case someone here has encountered this as well:
So in case anyone was still wondering about that problem, I just tried to fix it again...

Turns out it was pretty much what I thought but didn't have the energy to check: there's two loving installation folders for the game, the top one is where my games USUALLY go, but the second is where a reinstall ACTUALLY puts DSII SotFS. Why I did have the entire game in the first directory, no clue. Possibly a patch at some point changed where new files go and welp. I got clued in when I uninstalled the game and found out that the first folder didn't get wiped, I deleted it manually, and a reinstall didn't fill it back up.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The problem is your game's all in German! Haha, you goof. It's Dark Souls not DUNKEL SOULSENS

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

skasion posted:

However it has a lot of DS2 DNA in terms of letting you blunder into dickishly large groups of enemies, which rubbed people the wrong way in DS2 and still does in DS3.
yeah, but DS2 weapons are almost universally slow or seemingly balanced for one on one duels, despite them trying to change up the combat system.
In contrast, DS3 gives you poo poo like the Farron Greatsword relatively early on. Dealing with a ton of enemies is a lot more balanced when you've got weapons with "CROWD CONTROL" stamped on the hilt

of course, my gripe with the enemy crowds in DS2 might just be because SotFS enemy placements are unnecessarily dickish compared to the original. If they'd kept some of the encounters limited to NG+, I'd probably like the game a lot more! As it is, some areas would be impossible if they hadn't implemented the "enemies can permanently die" mechanic. (Hi, Heide Tower Wyvern fight, don't mind me I'm just gonna kill all of your adds 15 times)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
These things you are saying are not true. Use more skill

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What "adds" do you mean for the heide wyvern? There's heide knights before it but I don't think I've ever had stuff aggro'd along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The wyvern summons heide knights to help it in battle. The only way to avoid this is to snipe it from outside its travel range, if you're anywhere in its area it summons them

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 29, 2020