Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Assuming you meant ground pepper and not ground ginger, yeah. Now that I’m thinking about it, leaving the peppercorns whole might be a better idea here. Give that a go and let us know what happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Rad. For a ballpark measurement, let’s say I’m shooting for a quarter cup of bitters tincture. .25 cup of Angosturra, .25 cup of slivered ginger, 2 tsp of ground ginger sound like an appropriate ballpark?

That’s a lot of pepper. We do black pepper infused cognac (.5oz goes in our Sazerac, it’s amazing), and we use half a teaspoon for a 750ml bottle in an hour long infusion.

I wouldn’t buy genever either. Maybe use a malty whiskey instead, something like Stranahans, or even St George’s rye gin is a nice approximation of genever

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How do you mark a recipe as "tried" in Mixel? I see the icons for Favorite and Bookmark.

I made a Manhattan and a Martinez tonight. Not big on the Manhattan, Whiskey/Rye is kinda average to me. The Martinez was pretty good though!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Halloween Jack posted:

Ginger liqueur is a very easy infusion to make, too.

(Put 8 oz. of candied ginger in vodka for a month, strain, make syrup with the ginger, mix syrup and liquor to taste.)

I'd taste it before adding syrup. The batch I made was sweet enough to be sticky without adding more sugar.

Edit: re: ginger/pepper bitters, infuse them separately and blend to taste.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Gingergeddon:

1.5 oz Rittenhouse rye
.5 oz Licor 43
1 tsp Gingerbread Bitters (Angosturra bitters cooked in immersion circulator for 2 hours with black pepper and sliced ginger)
Garnish with orange peel and candied ginger

This was a good drink because an old fashioned sweetened with Licor 43 is a winning recipe, but unfortunately, it didn’t scream “gingerbread.” When I tasted them on their own, the bitters had a fair bit of heat and spice, but it just didn’t stand up in the drink, even with such a heavy amount. Very drinkable, but not a holiday cocktail.

.5 oz ginger syrup
.75 oz lemon juice
Spoonful of macerated raspberries
2 oz Elijah Craig bourbon
Top with ginger beer

Muddle raspberries in ginger syrup and lemon juice. Add bourbon and shake. Double strain over ice, top with ginger beer and garnish with candied ginger and fresh raspberry.

This is one I’ve made before with strawberry, but it’s just as good with raspberry. Lovely. A great choice for someone that doesn’t enjoy a spirit-forward cocktail.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Great photos! I honestly still feel like half an ounce of Licor 43 is a lot, especially with 1.5 Rittenhouse and not a full two ounces. I get that it can be a personal taste thing but I think 2oz Rittenhouse/.25 Licor 43/1tsp bitters might let the bitters shine a bit more. Also you're a great sport for going along with my idle theorycrafting here.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I had decided to bring it down from 2 to 1.5 because I wasn’t certain how much alcohol I’d be adding to the drink by incorporating a teaspoon of bitters.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
About a teaspoon :v: That's only one-sixth of an ounce FYI. Angostura is 44.7% ABV.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Speaking of Rittenhouse I'm in an airport at the duty free. Is $57 a bottle the absolute ripoff I think it is? I'd prefer it to the cheaper bottle of Bulleit Rye but it's hard to stomach 2-3x US market price, even if its literally the only way I can get some and I can absolutely afford it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Well, it’s 2-3x the US market price, so yea it’s a ripoff

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I knew that just kind of wanted someone to agree with me, heh. Thanks.

Gonna pass.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The $50ish range in whiskey is dangerous anyhow. You can get Rittenhouse or Evan Williams Single Barrel for $25ish (and there are other fine options at around $15 anyways), Four Roses Small Batch for around $30, etc. The quality:dollar ratio dives a bit after that until you get to like Bookers at around $60. Sure, Knob Creek, Woodford, et al are good, but I’d rather have a Rittenhouse and a handle of Evan Williams Black Label for $40.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Agree but I don't live in the States so my options are limited and overpriced.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tyro posted:

Agree but I don't live in the States so my options are limited and overpriced.

The question is, is it a rip-off relative to your other options?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
It's not, but it's hard to get ryes. I passed though.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I got some dark spiced rum, its nice on the rocks and in a cuba libre but any other cool ideas?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

field balm posted:

I got some dark spiced rum, its nice on the rocks and in a cuba libre but any other cool ideas?

This time of year, do you like egg nog? If you have a shaker it's not too hard to make single servings instead of a big batch.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

field balm posted:

Coffee

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

field balm posted:

Float it on top of some ginger beer with lime. If you’re open to buying some more stuff, a mai tai is one of my favorite drinks.

Edit: I guess you wouldn’t really want a spiced rum for that, though.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I got about 2 or 3 cups left of some dark rum. It's a cheapo one and good for mixin and I got a party coming up this weekend. What kinda punch can I make with this guy?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How do you mark a recipe as "tried" in Mixel? I see the icons for Favorite and Bookmark.

I made a Manhattan and a Martinez tonight. Not big on the Manhattan, Whiskey/Rye is kinda average to me. The Martinez was pretty good though!

If regular manhattans don't do it for you, try a brandy manhattan. I've been drinking those all week. Dash of orange bitters.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 19, 2019

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, anything plus ginger beer and lime is great imo. Not really a 'nog guy but cheers anyway. Been trying to avoid falling into the tiki hole but it's super hot here and aldi is selling tiki glasses this week so i guess its time...

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
What's a good cognac for Sazeracs, but also good to drink on its own? What characteristics should I look for? Say $70 max budget, although if that's overkill I don't mind having some left over :homebrew:

Also I know this is ancient history but:

Choom Gangster posted:

You bar kit, should at the very least include the following:
A wooden muddler. That one is simple. Wood only, and don't you dare wash it.

Why? I understand the no washing thing, so that you don't have soap residue drawn into the wood - but is there a practical advantage to wood over stainless, or is it just tradition?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

field balm posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, anything plus ginger beer and lime is great imo. Not really a 'nog guy but cheers anyway. Been trying to avoid falling into the tiki hole but it's super hot here and aldi is selling tiki glasses this week so i guess its time...
I like putting dark spiced rum in Painkillers and Planter's Punches. Neither is much of a winter drink, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Discussion Quorum posted:

What's a good cognac for Sazeracs, but also good to drink on its own? What characteristics should I look for? Say $70 max budget, although if that's overkill I don't mind having some left over :homebrew:

Why? I understand the no washing thing, so that you don't have soap residue drawn into the wood - but is there a practical advantage to wood over stainless, or is it just tradition?

If your budget is that high I'll say that Pierre Ferrand 1840 is a fantastic sipping cognac that also is a mean mixer. It'll make a very rich and smooth Sazerac.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

wood utensils don't develop a patina, they just get unsanitary. Quick hands wash your muddler with soap and water and after you're done and leave it out to dry.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I like putting dark spiced rum in Painkillers and Planter's Punches. Neither is much of a winter drink, though.

Its the middle of summer here and i have all of the ingredients fo4 painkillers. Gonna blast one of those on my day off tomorrow!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Seconding Pierre Ferrand 1840 as both a cocktail and sipping cognac.

For muddling I find no better tool than the Big rear end Muddler that Cocktail Kingdom sells. Big fuckin' piece of black plastic that cutting boards are made of. Super easy to clean, nice broad flat surface on the end for mashin'.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Wow, the Pierre Ferrand 1840 is only $40 locally. I had the idea in my head that good cognac was stupid expensive.

I guess my real question was, why is it so important that a muddler be wooden? I've seen several other recommendations for that Big rear end muddler so was a bit surprised to see what I quoted above. Sounds like maybe that was just a strong opinion rather than canon.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

I had the idea in my head that good cognac was stupid expensive.

There's plenty of stupid expensive cognac out there, but most cocktails probably won't benefit from using a super-old expensive cognac.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

prayer group posted:

Seconding Pierre Ferrand 1840 as both a cocktail and sipping cognac.
Thirding. It’s fantastic in a vieux carre.

I have to special order the bottle in my state and it’s always worth it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’ve never really messed with cognac because the ones I have tried have tasted quite similar to bourbon, but reading the brandy chapter in Cocktail Codex (and having a delicious vieux carre in a restaurant recently) has me taking a second look at cognac and apple brandy.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Depending on price where you are, these producers all make excellent Cognac that isn't the 'usual' brands. Most of these are admittedly straddling the $50 mark.

Pierre Ferrand - 1840 is the current 'standard nice cocktail bar' cognac. Ambre is about the same price and is their entry 'sipping' cognac.
Paul Giraud
Paul Beau
Guillon Painturaud - does not add coloring, so their juice looks 'younger' than other producers.
Jean Filloux - I am super partial to this producer, I think they make really lovely brandy.

Special Mentions:
Gilles Bresson - probably the cheapest 1st Cru cognac you'll find, but it tends to the woody/tanic side making it less great in stirred brandy drinks but great in things like a Japanese cocktail.
Gourry de Chadeville Overproof Cognac - A really, really excellent cognac designed to be a 'cocktailing cognac' but it is a bit niche as it doesn't have any caramel coloring so it's super light in color and it is overproof in nature, making it a bit less approachable from a sipping standpoint if overproof isn't your thing. That said it stands up to dilution very well because of it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
While we're talking about cognac we should also talk about calvados, or French apple brandy from Normandy. It's an area famous for its delicious apples, and ciders and brandies made from them are pretty much awesome across the board. Calvados makes a fun substitute for cognac in classic cocktails, especially in the fall and winter. I like to split an Old Fashioned base with 1.5oz rye and 0.5oz calvados and go heavy on the Angostura.

Boulard and Busnel are two brands that I saw a lot when I worked in Virginia, but are somehow totally absent in the Atlanta market. Down here we recently got Roger Groult 3-year calvados, which is really nice for cocktails.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Cognac wise I tend to use Maison Rouge. It's definitely smooth, but hasn't been too expensive by me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A general rule of thumb for aged spirits is that once you hit $100, you get rapidly diminishing returns above that point. A $100 cognac may taste $80 more expensive than a $20 one, but a $200 cognac might not taste much better than the $100 at all. I would put about $35-40 as the price range where you start getting into good neat sipping spirits and $10-20 for bottles of mixing spirits and vodka (premium vodka is a scam).

Also note I’m talking American dollars. Aussies may as well switch to smuggling.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

User be warned, Calvados is an infuriating rabbit hole to go down because you'll very quickly realize just how inferior domestic apple brandies are compared to it. There's some cheap-o stuff available, like Chateau Breuil's "La Pommier" but there's a stark difference between that and the good stuff.

There's also much larger differences between producers than in Cognac. Producers like Roger Groult & Busnel go for an orchardy-funk with tons of stem/skin/dusty flavors in it, while other like Lecompte & Christian Drouin generally go for more refined, delicate flavors.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That reminds me: I got a bottle of Laird’s Straight Apple Brandy recently and the first thing I made was a Diamondback (Rittenhouse, apple brandy, and green Chartreuse) and man it was too stiff for me. I don’t know if they’re expecting 80 proof apple brandy instead of 100 but I’ve gotta stir the next one longer I think.

I’m looking for some other recipes to try as well.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I just picked up a bottle of Christian Drouin Select because of this thread so I’m also in the market for calvados cocktails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We started playing with Martinez recipes. So far I’m enjoying
2oz bols genever
1.5 oz carpano antica
2 dash fee brothers orange gin barrel butters
2 dash fee brothers whiskey barrel aged bitters

Did a few old Tom gin varieties but the genever ones are really hitting the spot.