Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

my other hobby is a 1979 sailboat, but I don't feel bad about spending money on that like I do when spending money on computer parts and other nerd toys

It's the opposite for me, easier to spend on the PC since I can use that daily.

...at least that's what I though before I started adding up this years sailboat purchases. gently caress PCs are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

TheFluff posted:

my other hobby is a 1979 sailboat, but I don't feel bad about spending money on that like I do when spending money on computer parts and other nerd toys

The idea of a boating enthusiast caring about wasting money is so ridiculous I actually snorted out loud.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
A boat is a hole in the water that you keep throwing money into.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's nothing special and a pain in the rear end to go out on but i really like maintaining my boat and sitting on it sometimes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

A boat is a hole in the water that you keep throwing money into.

Bust Out Another Thousand.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just make a raft out of used GPUs and go out on that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Introducing all that heavy metal to the water is bad for the environment, dude.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if I don't buy all that hardware, the libertarians will

really, I'm saving the environment this way

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I grew up extremely poor and every moment of gaming was scrimped and saved for on often mega turned down settings so now that I'm in the blissful post-debt pre-kid stage i treated myself to a dumb GPU purchase.

Literally every other GPU I ever had was last years price/performance darling bought used from SA mart or something. No regrets, it's rekindled my enjoyment of the hobby.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DrDork posted:

Introducing all that heavy metal to the water is bad for the environment, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMTeR-cUf4Y

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

charity rereg posted:

I grew up extremely poor and every moment of gaming was scrimped and saved for on often mega turned down settings so now that I'm in the blissful post-debt pre-kid stage i treated myself to a dumb GPU purchase.

Literally every other GPU I ever had was last years price/performance darling bought used from SA mart or something. No regrets, it's rekindled my enjoyment of the hobby.

Hell yeah brother

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

charity rereg posted:

Honestly we're at a point where that's not a bad tactic for like 80% of gamers. A 1060/1070 still plays games real well for the most part. And if you're thrifty you can combine that with playing last year's darling games for like $20 a pop and cut your total gaming costs to a tiny fraction of what keeping up would be. Just gotta be ok with living a year behind everyone else (but at least by then the bugs are fixed and the DLC is all out!).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Taima posted:

The idea of a boating enthusiast caring about wasting money is so ridiculous I actually snorted out loud.

It's not so much about the money itself. The difference is (to me) that stuff I pay for on the boat lasts. If I buy a new GPU it'll be decidedly showing its age in a few years and be basically obsolete in less than ten. The boat on the other hand is not any worse at doing what it does now than it was 40 years ago, and it's not really much worse at doing them than new boats the same size you could buy today. It still has its original engine from 1979 and it works perfectly. I could buy a new engine for something stupid like $8000, but it would not make the boat any meaningfully better, so instead I maintain the old one. It's a constant battle against decay to keep an old boat in shape, but it feels meaningful - I don't just buy poo poo and plug it in, I have to put in quite a bit of effort into maintenance work myself as well. The guy I bought it from was 85 years old and he was the original owner. The boat to him was half a lifetime of summers. Sitting in front of the computer just makes me feel like I'm wasting my life.

I hate being a nerd and I wish I could not be, but alas, here we are.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 17, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheFluff posted:

stuff I pay for on the boat lasts.

It's a constant battle against decay to keep an old boat in shape

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's no reasoning with people who own boats. They're like scientologists or JWs, all you can do is hope they escape one day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Having a friend who owns a boat is great.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

TheFluff posted:

I hate being a nerd and I wish I could not be, but alas, here we are.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I just installed a new video card, a 1660 super. For the time ever, I got this message when I tried to watch a video on Youtube: “If playback doesn’t begin shortly, try restarting your device” on YouTube.

I restarted and it worked after that but I'm worried that my new card is hosed up somehow. My old card never did that.

What can I do to make sure my new card is working okay?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

I just installed a new video card, a 1660 super. For the time ever, I got this message when I tried to watch a video on Youtube: “If playback doesn’t begin shortly, try restarting your device” on YouTube.

I restarted and it worked after that but I'm worried that my new card is hosed up somehow. My old card never did that.

What can I do to make sure my new card is working okay?

It's fine, this isn't anything to be concerned about. YouTube probably detected a new device driver or output or whatever. When GPUs go bad you get artifacting or driver crashes, system hands, etc etc. Congrats on your new card!

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Having a friend who owns a boat is great.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

VelociBacon posted:

system hands

I hate it when my system gets handsy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Picking out a videocard is the worst, and holding me back from actually you know building the thing; I have all the other parts (based on Ryzen 3600X) sans PSU. :argh:
At least they will all be nice upgrades over my i5 2500K, GTX960 3gb system.

Do I want this heavily discounted Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB Windforce OC (€209), RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC (€530 so more than double), or pick a 2060 variant for around €400 :ohdear:

I hate very loud cards esp after my original GTX 560 I had in the system started coil whinging. It's going to put it into a P small case with fresh air coming over the card, but the card being like 3cm above the PSU shroud if that matters. Should I maybe just go for the 1060 till the next big upgrade wave hits in like a year or so? I dunno, and yes I've posted about all this before but I'm still unclear about what's the best option. ATI cards also welcome but just bad experiences making me wary.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 17, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Zedd posted:

Picking out a videocard is the worst, and holding me back from actually you know building the thing; I have all the other parts (based on Ryzen 3600X) sans PSU. :argh:
At least they will all be nice upgrades over my i5 2500K, GTX960 3gb system.

Do I want this heavily discounted Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB Windforce OC (€209), RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC (€530 so more than double), or pick a 2060 variant for around €400 :ohdear:

I hate very loud cards esp after my original GTX 560 I had in the system started coil whinging. It's going to put it into a P small case with fresh air coming over the card, but the card being like 3cm above the PSU shroud if that matters. Should I maybe just go for the 1060 till the next big upgrade wave hits in like a year or so? I dunno, and yes I've posted about all this before but I'm still unclear about what's the best option. ATI cards also welcome but just bad experiences making me wary.

what is your monitor resolution and refresh rate? that's really what guides this decision now. even most low-mid range GPUs will absolutely rip on 1080p content @ 60hz. not sure where exactly you can buy from but a 1660 Super sounds like the right answer if you're OK spending just over the 210. https://geizhals.de/?fs=1660+super&in=

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 17, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

I hate it when my system gets handsy.

Oh goddamn it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

charity rereg posted:

what is your monitor resolution and refresh rate? that's really what guides this decision now. even most low-mid range GPUs will absolutely rip on 1080p content @ 60hz. not sure where exactly you can buy from but a 1660 Super sounds like the right answer if you're OK spending just over the 210. https://geizhals.de/?fs=1660+super&in=
1080/60 atm. Wanting to move to QuadHD/60 or 1080/higher (or/or) in the future I guess.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, my night has been eventful. Installing Adrenalin 2020 on the HP Envy 13z that I got back from my brother in exchange caused the system to exhibit hanging behaviour despite utilization sitting at zero. Couldn't even get into safe mode to roll back.

(I had such high goddamn hopes for the 13z, too, when I first bought it for him.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, my night has been eventful. Installing Adrenalin 2020 on the HP Envy 13z that I got back from my brother in exchange caused the system to exhibit hanging behaviour despite utilization sitting at zero. Couldn't even get into safe mode to roll back.

(I had such high goddamn hopes for the 13z, too, when I first bought it for him.)

They should have waited until 2020, cause these definitely weren't ready this month.

The new UI is neat, new features are neat, the excessive use of global hotkeys is extremely dumb, and wattman (now just "performance tuning") is still busted. I was getting video driver crashes just from the system resuming from sleep, and the only thing I'd done was set a custom fan profile.

I haven't reverted to 12.1 myself yet, it's been ok since I reverted the fan to default, but I'd generally say sticking with 12.1 is a good idea until sometime well into January. If I have any other problems I'll DDU these and go to 12.1. (DDU needs the latest update to uninstall the 2020 edition BTW.)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zedd posted:

1080/60 atm. Wanting to move to QuadHD/60 or 1080/higher (or/or) in the future I guess.

1660S is a great choice unless you're thinking of moving to 4K (or 1440/144hz) soonish in which case I think you'll be happier getting the 2070S.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

They should have waited until 2020, cause these definitely weren't ready this month.

The new UI is neat, new features are neat, the excessive use of global hotkeys is extremely dumb, and wattman (now just "performance tuning") is still busted. I was getting video driver crashes just from the system resuming from sleep, and the only thing I'd done was set a custom fan profile.

I haven't reverted to 12.1 myself yet, it's been ok since I reverted the fan to default, but I'd generally say sticking with 12.1 is a good idea until sometime well into January. If I have any other problems I'll DDU these and go to 12.1. (DDU needs the latest update to uninstall the 2020 edition BTW.)

See I was smart the third time around, I set a system restore point BEFORE i bricked my laptop! :downsgun:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

1660S is a great choice unless you're thinking of moving to 4K (or 1440/144hz) soonish in which case I think you'll be happier getting the 2070S.

charity rereg posted:

Yeah that seems like the sweetspot for now tbh, esp since I might have found one secondhand for ~200, and if not my local store has it for a good price.
Going with the MSI Ventus OC XS version, solid brand as far as I experienced and didn't find many negatives about it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've got an Nvidia 1080 FTW and have been using the stripped down driver from guru3d I linked a few pages ago for 4 driver versions. (No GeForce experience)

I dunno if that's the issue or if anyone knows why (only) twitch, discord and rockstar launcher kinda pixelate/artifact on the UI elements, but video elements, Firefox and games run great.

Moving the mouse changes the focus some and elements will pop between crisp and blocky/blurry sometimes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've got an Nvidia 1080 FTW and have been using the stripped down driver from guru3d I linked a few pages ago for 4 driver versions. (No GeForce experience)

I dunno if that's the issue or if anyone knows why (only) twitch, discord and rockstar launcher kinda pixelate/artifact on the UI elements, but video elements, Firefox and games run great.

Moving the mouse changes the focus some and elements will pop between crisp and blocky/blurry sometimes.

I would try the normal drivers if things are hosed up on weird third-party drivers!

You don't have to install geforce experience with the standard drivers. Just use the custom install and uncheck it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zedd posted:

Yeah that seems like the sweetspot for now tbh, esp since I might have found one secondhand for ~200, and if not my local store has it for a good price.
Going with the MSI Ventus OC XS version, solid brand as far as I experienced and didn't find many negatives about it.

My only other caveat is if you think you want to do VR a 1660S, while definitely good enough, will feel limiting. But if you don't have VR dreams a 1660S for 200 given your options is a no-doubt.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Programs with shittily designed overlays (ie discord) have caused a fair amount of headaches for myself and others

I found a lot out by googling it. I would start there

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Klyith posted:

You don't have to install geforce experience with the standard drivers. Just use the custom install and uncheck it.

Just to add in, screw this drat program. I have no clear idea if it works well or not, because the mandatory login screen was broken. I ended up replacing some JS in it's app directory to not require the login screen and tried out Gamestream by way of Moonlight... but by then I'd figured out what was wrong with my remote play setup, fixed all of that and Steam Streaming was simply better (I could log into that and it broadly worked and was liked). I've not uninstalled GeForce Experience but I wouldn't bother again unless I really needed to use Moonlight (e.g. Chromebook client)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

On principle alone I refuse to use GFE until the control panel is either built in or made to resemble something 20 years old instead of 30

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gfe is fine. it lets me know when there is a driver update. thats cool.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If you like signing in and paying for that notification with your telemetry sure. For me the issue is that is flat loving bullshit how often that program makes me sign in.

Secondarily to that i have a problem supporting nvidias software that does more to help them than me- so long as they're literally just disrespectful with the state of the control panel.

If you're going to sell 1k video cards for pwning noobs maybe have more than a 2 bit control panel.

E: But for clarity , paying(twice ) for a notification to essential drivers should be frowned on and unnecessary

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
NVIDIA Control Panel Copyright 2002-2019 :v:

But I don't even know why I'd ever need driver update notifications so I've never actually installed GFE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i think ive signed in once all time to GFE and no i dont care about my gaming "telemetry". i mostly close its process after it does its update check anyway. thats less invasive tracking than windows, steam, chrome, and the drat games themselves are doing. at least i can close it.