Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think the whole 'ironic twist' with Trieu is that she actually didn't do anything too bad to set herself up as evil but once Veidt returns we're basically supposed to go 'oh so... there's two of them', and then Veidt of course recognizes her as a danger because game recognize game and the final irony of course has our audience surrogates arresting Veidt, basically because the audience is supposed to recognize the a God Emperor Trillionaire is a bad thing, Manhattan powers or not.

But then of course for the sake of a mystery box we end up with Angela participating in the miracle of transubstantiation and becoming christ, which, as I said before, felt to be a bit tonedeaf, why are we supposed to view that as a good thing? It would be interesting if it ended with Angela's dilemma on whether she should eat the egg or not because well, that's a temptation and a good question to pose to the audience, Angela in that sense is just a stand in, but instead we're getting the show kind of stating "People becoming gods is generally a bad thing, unless they're REALLY GOOD PEOPLE", which as others pointed, wasn't really ever established as far as Angela is concerned, what makes Angela a really good person? She's a sarcastic badass who didn't repent her ways a single time, why should we cheer her becoming Mrs. Dr. Manhattan all of a sudden?

I was hoping she'd break the egg on the ground. Seemed the best resolution for the story and for her character. But I guess Lindelof thought it would be a shame if she didn't become Manhattan and dedicate her literally godlike powers to *checks notes* solving America's racism problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

romanowski posted:

I would have forgiven all of this show's faults if it had ended with Angela comically falling into the pool

Just a cut to black as it was, then a splash sound and her going "Motherf..."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Angela falls into the pool and a hundred foot tall Cal looms overhead: "Putting myself together was the first trick I learned...but dying alone still sucks. :smith:"

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Good show but she should've cooked and seasoned the egg a bit just to get under Doc's blue skin.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think my biggest problem with the show is that they don't drop Dr. Manhattan in until it's more than halfway over and then suddenly the plot revolves around him.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

a helpful bear posted:

Good show but she should've cooked and seasoned the egg a bit just to get under Doc's blue skin.

The waffle mix is right there

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kill All Cops posted:

The waffle mix is right there

Hey Kids, Try some glow-in-the-dark Dr Manwaffles, today!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The waffle is also a better Jesus allusion, as others itt pointed out last week.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Honestly my biggest concern going into the finale was that the Adrian-encased-in-gold scene was gonna look super cheesy, but dammit they pulled it off and it actually looked pretty cool!
Landing: stuck.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So why exactly did Jon plan his suicide out years in advance? Other than passing his powers onto Angela (which could've been done regardless), what was gained from the whole thing?

Or was it supposed to be another 'he knew it was going to happen so he made it happen' scenario? When Will said Jon planned the whole thing it sounded like it was with a sense of purpose.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jon didn't arrange his death, he just didn't prevent it, all of the events that actually led to the 7k and Trieu doing their thing didn't involve Jon in an active manner.

The only thing Jon set up was a safe place for the kids to stay in when he was getting zapped out of existence and dropping the clues about the egg. Even the death of Crawford really wasn't impactful, Angela's lining about 'starting this whole thing' was spoken without real understanding of the situation.

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Skitz posted:

Honestly my biggest concern going into the finale was that the Adrian-encased-in-gold scene was gonna look super cheesy, but dammit they pulled it off and it actually looked pretty cool!
Landing: stuck.

I found it pretty funny that the carbonite machine was specifically designed to make him pull an obnoxious pose specifically so Trieu could keep him on display as an ornament until her plan was ready.

I also liked that Veidt was getting straight-up ignored by Redford rather than allowing him to be a puppetmaster and it was loving killing him.

Making the Cyclops head-honchos tear eachother apart with a mesmer would have probably fit Hooded's revenge plan better though?

All in all a pretty good ending to a surprisingly enjoyable show. HJ's life was undoubtedly the best episode for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I was kinda hoping that Trieu had no intention of actually saving him and simply turned him into a statue for good.

Golden statue stasis does seem a bit hokey but whatever, she's the smartest woman on Earth.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lol that they cut straight before Angela fell into the water like a doofus

enjoyed that will watch again

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bernstrike posted:

lol that they cut straight before Angela fell into the water like a doofus

enjoyed that will watch again

Someone edit that last scene so this is canon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I actually like that Cyclops wasn’t taken out by the Mesmer machine. They did a plenty fine job of being duped into committing suicide without it by being conned, making it explicit would be a bit on the nose. Just being suddenly disposed of when they weren’t useful anymore fits better with the “white supremacy being used to get them to do someone else’s work” thing better.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Thank you for this post.

loving word on street...internet is straight trash.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thanks for reposting my video. Whether you loved or hated this show (I loved it) doesn't matter. What matters is Lube Man is out there.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This thread confused me. Was this show too woke or not woke enough?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

DaveKap posted:

Thanks for reposting my video. Whether you loved or hated this show (I loved it) doesn't matter. What matters is Lube Man is out there.

Season 2, Episode 1

code:
Lube Man enters Angela Abar's house and sees a carton of eggs on the floor.

Opening the carton, he finds two intact eggs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

just another posted:

I think it's a testament to the perniciousness of white supremacy that the best and most intriguing OC character of the show was a white cop southerner.

Well he was played by the best actor on the show so that helps. Tim Blake Nelson has quietly become the best jobbing actor in America.

Anyway the finale was extremely boring. It didn't hold my attention and devolved into Rita Repulsa antics. Dr. Manhattan's cage was a boring plot device. Way to make the most interesting character from one of the most celebrated comics of all time boring.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

MoaM posted:

It's Petey.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Got a hunch that Petey is lube man

Called it

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Did anyone NOT think that Lube Man was the skinny FBI guy that was obsessed with superheroes? Legit asking, I didn’t know this was a thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Thank you for this post.

loving word on street...internet is straight trash.

Yeah it's been driving me nuts because I couldn't figure out the angle, everyone everywhere else loved the show. Then you open that twitter account and there all those opinions are. The final Watchmen twist has been solved.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

zoux posted:

Yeah it's been driving me nuts because I couldn't figure out the angle, everyone everywhere else loved the show. Then you open that twitter account and there all those opinions are. The final Watchmen twist has been solved.

Can anyone explain that Twitter account to me? I can't seem to scroll back far enough to truly unravel it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Can anyone explain that Twitter account to me? I can't seem to scroll back far enough to truly unravel it.

That dude loving hates any massively popular franchise, his whole feed is bitching about Star Wars, Marvel, comic books, etc. It's funny, the reason I never saw those Watchmen takes is because I muted that account ages ago because I got sick of people RTing his joyless Phil Greaves-rear end troll takes into my TL.

Here's his co-host, who's the same

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1206935067961913345

He's just saying this
https://twitter.com/philgreaves01/status/942709261347500032?lang=en
More reasonably.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 17, 2019

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

As near as I could tell it was an echo chamber for writers and media critics that hate that people aren’t smart enough to agree with them while hawking their podcasts explaining why they are better than amateur racists like Damon Lindelof and JJ Abrams.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
there's no way people just don't like the show. there must be some mastermind somewhere shining a strobe into the haters faces.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JM3K/status/1206419313789472768

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thom and the Heads posted:

there's no way people just don't like the show. there must be some mastermind somewhere shining a strobe into the haters faces.

People can hate the show, I just expect the normal, plot-obsessed, I-was-only-half-watching TVIV complaints, I didn't know where the extremely bad faith leftist takes were coming from, and now I know.

What do the cum town guys think of the show

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

what if i came to the conclusion that this show turned into mealy-mouthed centrist lib trash independently?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mealy-mouthed centrist lib trash

:thumbsup:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

glad we could settle this in the marketplace of ideas like gentlemen

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

And like lol, if we want to talk about "conspiracy theories", the entire reason zoux went to the guy's timeline was because of a conspiracy theory that he peddled about black writers "trying to be fired(?) from the show"

And buried in his retweets/replies there is a conspiracy theory about how Tom Perrotta -- the author of the Leftovers book -- ghost wrote most of the series which is why it was good

It's conspiracy theories all the way down

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is this like an ARG or something

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

zoux posted:

So is this like an ARG or something

HBO agreed to do an ARG that was an elaborate introduction for Titania McGrath expanded universe characters

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Agreed

Watchmen canon has been updated to state that this show was good so you can only hate Watchmen as a franchise if you hate this show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Finale drew 1.6 m viewers which was a series high but is, to put it generously, not GoT numbers.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

zoux posted:

Finale drew 1.6 m viewers which was a series high but is, to put it generously, not GoT numbers.

Why would it ever be? Game of Thrones had a much larger built in audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

If GoT numbers is the standard, everything on HBO is a failure.