Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Love the new trait art. I think I've figured out 90% of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Isn't the thing with the new trait system is you will have less personality traits but there will be new traits that are lifestyle traits. So like erudite for a scholar, easier to get poet, stuff like that reflecting what your character does. If it does work like that I think it'll be fine having less personality traits since those personality ones are supposed to define you. If it's just you have way less traits overall that'll suck because traits are fun.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Eimi posted:

Isn't the thing with the new trait system is you will have less personality traits but there will be new traits that are lifestyle traits. So like erudite for a scholar, easier to get poet, stuff like that reflecting what your character does. If it does work like that I think it'll be fine having less personality traits since those personality ones are supposed to define you. If it's just you have way less traits overall that'll suck because traits are fun.

Yeah, they specifically called out that there are non-personality traits that are still plentiful. They just reduced the number of personality traits you'll get and increased their impact

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

I had 50-100 relations with my vassals almost all the time just for a combination of bloodlines+artifacts+viking trait+valhala bound trait and then all the good traits I was always getting from societies

I've noticed that too which is why I feel it's so much easier. I remember just after conclave and how hard a time I had holding an empire together. Now I just buy a Smith to make artifact's, get some Saint parts from the pope after crusades, build great works with relation modifiers, join a society and have all green traits as well as a good old bribe here and there with some swaying. I mean I revoked two duchies off a dude and he was still in the green afterwards, I legitimised 2 bastards and my spouse still had +80 opinion.

Now I love having artifacts and watching the treasury grow but I find it too easy to get them. I mean one guy moved to my court, died and now I randomly have the axe of perun that I can't use because I'm not tengri.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah,. me too, I like artifacts and societies and bloodlines. They do make the game a lot easier, though

With all that and bribes and favors, is just too easy to keep your vassals and council happy all the time. And not just for us humans, is been a while Ive seem an AI big blob break by itself, they seen more solid than ever

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

perun is SLAVIC you MILKDRINKER

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Did the next monarch challenge, looks like joining the assassins is the key to that one, otherwise killing norsemen will be difficult. The game doesn't explicitly state the assassin society strongest feature(a killer feature if you will :rimshot:) - once you're level 2 other assassins can join your murder plots from within diplomatic range, not just target's realm. Given that they have no reason to like the target and have murder plot bonus from being assassins you can easily get 200+% plot power on anyone. Kill your dad to get France, then press the claims you inherit from him on other Karling kingdoms and since they're weak claims you'll have to kill some more Karlings until some kids are on the throne.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 15, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is it possible to forge more than one bloodline with one dynasty in CK2?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is it possible to forge more than one bloodline with one dynasty in CK2?

Yes. The prestige required to take the ambition as an adult goes up to 20k, though.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

No Pants posted:

Yes. The prestige required to take the ambition as an adult goes up to 20k, though.

I have 20k prestige and 8k piety. No option. Maybe it's because I am a Karling and thus have 2 bloodlines now?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

I have 20k prestige and 8k piety. No option. Maybe it's because I am a Karling and thus have 2 bloodlines now?

Well, the usual rules still apply, so you can't have any "created" bloodlines on your current character. Dunno if that's what's doing it in your case.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

No Pants posted:

Well, the usual rules still apply, so you can't have any "created" bloodlines on your current character. Dunno if that's what's doing it in your case.

The grandfather of this character created a bloodline, does that mean I can't make any more?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

The grandfather of this character created a bloodline, does that mean I can't make any more?

No, you have to be playing a member of your dynasty without a created bloodline. That usually involves switching to seniority or an elective succession law if you aren't a woman who can legitimize her bastards.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That's incredibly lame.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Usually the only limit is for other bloodlines from the "create a bloodline" ambition, specifically. So you can still create bloodlines that have other requirements - like the Alexander/Ashoka one, the duellist one, various empire founding ones, etc.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Usually the only limit is for other bloodlines from the "create a bloodline" ambition, specifically. So you can still create bloodlines that have other requirements - like the Alexander/Ashoka one, the duellist one, various empire founding ones, etc.

If one character creates the castelean bloodline for building 10 castles, it doesn't make any sense to forbid his descendants from making the temple or city building bloodline.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

If one character creates the castelean bloodline for building 10 castles, it doesn't make any sense to forbid his descendants from making the temple or city building bloodline.

But it has been this way from the release. You need to found a big dynasty and then switch around the different branches (tanistry is great for that), founding new ones until you're satisfied, and then breed them all into one, which is easy with matri marriages between family members.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've had seven bloodlines on a single dynasty. Two of which were created by the same ruler.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been getting a lot of poo poo in the current mapgoons game because I'm playing like it's already CK3. Long story short, people shouldn't leave their daughters unmarried.

I'm very much looking forward to the new dynasty mechanic. We had a player (me) game over because I assumed that giving up my last title wasn't a big deal when my dynasty was all over the place. But turns out the game doesn't tag switch you to another dynasty member, it only goes by inheritance so when I gave up my last landed title I just got the game over screen (which is stupid, the ruler who revoked my last title was my brother).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've had seven bloodlines on a single dynasty. Two of which were created by the same ruler.

The restriction is only for the "forge bloodline" ambition. You can found bloodlines through warrior lodges, winning crusades, reforming the Roman Empire, etc. without restrictions.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

The restriction is only for the "forge bloodline" ambition. You can found bloodlines through warrior lodges, winning crusades, reforming the Roman Empire, etc. without restrictions.

It's still a dumb restriction.

This character has also won a crusade. Don't see an option for making a bloodline about that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's still a dumb restriction.

This character has also won a crusade. Don't see an option for making a bloodline about that.

Gotta win two crusades, I believe, or maybe three, with the same character.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Demiurge4 posted:

I've been getting a lot of poo poo in the current mapgoons game because I'm playing like it's already CK3. Long story short, people shouldn't leave their daughters unmarried.

I'm very much looking forward to the new dynasty mechanic. We had a player (me) game over because I assumed that giving up my last title wasn't a big deal when my dynasty was all over the place. But turns out the game doesn't tag switch you to another dynasty member, it only goes by inheritance so when I gave up my last landed title I just got the game over screen (which is stupid, the ruler who revoked my last title was my brother).

I just had this happen in my Byzantium game. Total brain fart and gave the genius in my dynasty all of Sicily thinking I’d play as him next. Now I can’t make him despot so I am hosed when my character dies unless o can revoke his title, though I still have to get my drat council to my side to allow title revocation :argh:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

I just had this happen in my Byzantium game. Total brain fart and gave the genius in my dynasty all of Sicily thinking I’d play as him next. Now I can’t make him despot so I am hosed when my character dies unless o can revoke his title, though I still have to get my drat council to my side to allow title revocation :argh:

This is the type of thing that happens to me all the time when I play Byzantium. Except it’s a game ending experience for me personally as well because revoking a title for the purpose of getting around unclear game mechanics totally destroys suspension of disbelief.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I hope CK3's Byzantine mechanics ditch the feudal aspects for something unique.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This is the type of thing that happens to me all the time when I play Byzantium. Except it’s a game ending experience for me personally as well because revoking a title for the purpose of getting around unclear game mechanics totally destroys suspension of disbelief.

Can someone help me with how Byzantine succession works when I am emperor and still a strategos? Do I need to grant my child a county at the very least so that they’ll have a place to rule if I can’t get them or a member of my dynasty elected? When I look at my starting counties they show as being inherited by the heir to the Empire, not my heir.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dirk Pitt posted:

Can someone help me with how Byzantine succession works when I am emperor and still a strategos? Do I need to grant my child a county at the very least so that they’ll have a place to rule if I can’t get them or a member of my dynasty elected? When I look at my starting counties they show as being inherited by the heir to the Empire, not my heir.

You don't get any counties from the emperor as the already landed heir to empire, emperor's counties go to the family according to primogeniture(adjusted by born in purple/despot title). New emperor gets the decision to yoink Constantinople from anyone though. Not entirely sure what an unlanded heir gets, since they can't get just the empire.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Pyromancer posted:

You don't get any counties from the emperor as the already landed heir to empire, emperor's counties go to the family according to primogeniture(adjusted by born in purple/despot title). New emperor gets the decision to yoink Constantinople from anyone though. Not entirely sure what an unlanded heir gets, since they can't get just the empire.

But if I hold say my original area of Sicily, and then become emperor, what happens to my counties and the Theme of Sicily when I die? I get it if I am a Doux, but not when I am ascending as a Strategos.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If your elected heir is your primogeniture heir then you'll keep everything.

If not, then you'll continue playing as the elected heir to the empire (if they're of your dynasty), while your previous character's primogeniture heir gets the counties.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So to be clear once you have the emperorship, it’s game over if your primo heir doesn’t get elected (and neither does a dynast), even if the primo heir will still hold land feudally?

Is this true for the HRE as well?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New CK3 dev diary - Courts, Guests and Wanderers

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CK3 looks like the devs are making a lot of good decisions.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Looks good as hell, imo. Feels a lot more dynamic and interesting than just having a bunch of randos hanging around, then actively having to comb through the charlist for claimants.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah. Plus your excess sons loving off to be knights in other courts or seek help to press a claim rules. Maybe they’ll get married and have children and four generations later some guy comes through your court and his line continued landless for a hundred years before coming home.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Looks cool as hell, my only issue is that it looks like the list of courtiers is still in a tiny little tab under your character that you have to scroll through.

I wish Paradox would drop their fear of full screen menus tbh, it would be a much more pleasant way of presenting information.

Total War Three Kingdoms has a cool-looking court screen with the different court positions laid out spatially.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hope they adjust what vassals are okay with when you deal with criminals.

It's always frustrating seeing vassals not being okay with you executing a noble caught red-handed murdering the previous king.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SirPhoebos posted:

I hope they adjust what vassals are okay with when you deal with criminals.

It's always frustrating seeing vassals not being okay with you executing a noble caught red-handed murdering the previous king.

What if they didn't like the old guy though?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paradox board wisdom posted:

October 31st, 2012 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. CK2 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Sunset Invasion was announced. This was not just an announcement of DLC, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was an expansion intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What if they didn't like the old guy though?

That's already reflected in the "opinion of previous ruler" modifier.

It shouldn't be a blanket penalty to everyone when you behead someone for regicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

this reminds me of that one creative assembly dad meme where they announce something and he immediately flips out and literally runs to the total war forums

i unfortunately cannot find it on google