Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/KidadaEWilliams/status/1206890027881385984

https://mobile.twitter.com/zellieimani/status/1206929905709199360

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
So, after reading Lindelof's interview in Rolling Stone, even in his original plan for the ending the theme for the show is "absolute power just has to rest in the hands of the right person."
I'm not sure what his reading of the original book is, but he seems to have taken bizarre things from it. I don't understand using the Watchmen IP to tell a story of inept one-dimensional bad guys vs. morally correct super cops. At the end of the Hooded Justice episode I assumed him killing everyone in that warehouse was supposed to be kind of hosed up, but I guess it was supposed to be just badass? And why does he tell Angela that you have to remove your mask to heal, when he removed his a long time ago and seems to be the exact same guy?
I also don't like that they give Veidt, out of all the characters in the original, some sort of redemption/chance to really save the day this time, unambiguously. He doesn't even kill anyone with his plan, just some unimportant extras. Laurie gets nothing and still seems miserable, Nite Owl is completely ignored and Rorschach is only remembered for his worst traits.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean it's still half of season 1's finale numbers, which doesn't seem bad. Obviously GoT became a cultural phenomenon in later seasons and will be near impossible to replicate on purpose, but it seemed to start out popular as well.

Watchmen doesn’t have titties, endless sex scenes, dragons, and ultra violence.

It does have a black female protagonist and visible penises. The only sex in the show is gay men loving.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Watchmen doesn’t have titties, endless sex scenes, dragons, and ultra violence.

It does have a black female protagonist and visible penises. The only sex in the show is gay men loving.

Pretty sure that’s not the reason why the ratings were bad but go off

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It had some pretty ultra violence

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

*Angela looks at the single egg left. Camera changes to a view from inside the kitchen cabinet. Inside is waffle mix and a can of delicious Campbell's Chunky Beef Stew. Angela's hand reaches into the cupboard, shaking. is it from fear? Is it from hunger? Is it from excitement knowing the Campbell's Chunky Beef Stew is within her reach? We never know because the camera cuts to black.*

Overall I liked the show but I'll agree that after Manhattan gets revealed the show stumbles a fair bit.

I feel like with the few times that multiple characters say that Manhattan could've done more, I think the show really could've explored that. That because God used to be a white guy he doesn't recognize racial injustice, not even out of malice but just pure indifference/ignorance, and how someone who grew up as a minority would handle being God differently.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i like the thesis of “absolute power corrupts absolutely, unless you are an oppressed minority”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

at the very least the show pushed this atrocity back into the light.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Definitely interesting looking back on the season and realizing that Night Owl was completely absent. Was there some sort of blink and you miss it reference to what he's up to? Is he supposed to be dead?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

Definitely interesting looking back on the season and realizing that Night Owl was completely absent. Was there some sort of blink and you miss it reference to what he's up to? Is he supposed to be dead?

Keene tells Laurie he could pardon him if he becomes president.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Senator Oklahoma says something about "getting her owl out of a cage" as enticement for her heading to Tulsa. So, it's implied he's currently imprisoned.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

He's in prison, Keene references it and Peteypedia explains him and Silk Spectre were caught being vigilantes, he went to prison and she goes to the FBI.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mullitt posted:

He's in prison, Keene references it and Peteypedia explains him and Silk Spectre were caught being vigilantes, he went to prison and she goes to the FBI.

That also reveals that the OKC bombing didn’t happen in the Watchmen universe, because Laurie killed the poo poo out of McVeigh.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
My uncle works for hbo and told me all the non-cis white male writers actually didnt write the show and were held hostage in the writers room while Lindelof and Tom Perrotta smoked cigars and let a "Centrist Lib Woke Bot 2.0 AI" write the show

this the word allegedly from the street

dont question this or your a toxic lindeloff doodoo head

Anyways, rewatched finale. Its ok. Like I said before, satisfying plot wise but thematically kinda dropped the ball for what it had set up.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Pretty sure that’s not the reason why the ratings were bad but go off

The ratings were not bad, they were on par with another HBO drama prestige show, Big Little Lies (which has an all-star cast). That’s really good! And the finale had higher ratings than the premiere, which is also really good- people stuck with the show and even recruited new viewers through word-of-mouth.

Watchmen is a critical darling, which is also good for HBO. That usually leads to lots of awards, which drives the ability to recruit top talent for projects.

Game of Thrones was a perfect storm, it had lots of bloody violence, sex, and nudity, in a fantasy setting. Action Movies always draw better than serious dramas.

Watchmen was a thoughtful serious drama in a hard sci-fi setting. No one has super powers, with one exception, and he doesn’t use them in a typical way.

There is no Batman or Iron Man to root for. There are no action scenes with capes fighting. And there is lots of weird poo poo, like raining squid.

The show looks hard at America’s history of racism, another turnoff for casual viewers.

Game of Thrones is ‘Avengers: Endgame’.

Watchmen is ‘Phantom Thread’.

The two have very different performance expectations. Watchmen is excelling in its category.

(You can skip the buh buh buh if it was really popular it would be really objectively popular like Big Bang Theory response since that is not how Television executives think.)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

i like the thesis of “absolute power corrupts absolutely, unless you are an oppressed minority”

"But if you are oppressed and choose to pursue power you're already corrupt"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who you gonna believe a guy with the straight dope right off the grapevine or Variety magazine

quote:

The big question now: Will Watchmen return for another season? HBO isn’t saying anything about future cycles of the show, with a network rep declining to comment on the series’ fate. Based on the ratings, however, there’s little doubt the network would love to bring it back. Though the show’s same-day linear numbers don’t qualify it as any sort of blockbuster, they’re solid enough for a new premium cable drama in 2019. The show’s ratings growth in-season and strong word-of-mouth, combined with impressive digital viewership, are all reasons to think HBO brass is eager to do more. (What’s more, HBO owners AT&T would no doubt love to have a buzzy critical darling such as Watchmen as part of the company’s upcoming HBO Max streaming service.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Who you gonna believe a guy with the straight dope right off the grapevine or Variety magazine

This show is a weird case where I'm equally happy if it's one-and-done, or if they renew it for a second season down the line.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the worst thing they could do is do a second season that continues plot and uses the characters from the first. Either do an anthology type deal or stick with one season. Or Watchmen Babies: The Series

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This show is a weird case where I'm equally happy if it's one-and-done, or if they renew it for a second season down the line.

Same. This definitely falls into the “do it right or not at all” sector. Please no Baby Yodas.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I think the second season should continue the Manhangela plot and have her go on an apocalyptic murder & brainwashing spree to end racism so that I can watch the thread rip itself apart over whether or not her totalitarian barbarism is justified.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I hope they just give it a lot of time. It took them 2 years to write and shoot season 1 so season 2 if it is done should take just as long IMO.

And as much as I like Lindelof, Id honestly like to see him not return as showrunner and only serve as a consulting producer. I think theres a ton of potential in having future seasons serve as a semi-anthology vehicle for writers to view and expand on Watchmen through a very specific lens/interpretation.

I.E. setting a Watchmen-esque story in a southern border town and creating some kind of analogue for the current immigration crisis while also adressing the long and horrible relationship the West/U.S. has had with the indigenous cultures of the Americas.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, that film is loving horrible disgrace. i do think it should be shown in history classes though to show how awful people were (well more awful than now in someways.)

That’s where I saw it. You can be told in advance that it is really racist but nothing prepares you for seeing it with your own eyes.

No matter how much you think you are prepared to see it, you really aren’t.

(Like Dr Manhattans blue enormo-hog)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
lol, this was probably the boringest, blandest end to this dumb and awkward show. The good cops defeat and arrest the bad guys and everyone go home to be sad about the big blue pedo war criminal being dead. Also the goodest cop gets to be God, roflmao. Though I gotta hand it to them, at least it wasn't time travel poo poo.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
Season 1 would be a strange jumping off point for an anthology series since it's basically a repeat/remix of the comic with a lot of the same characters. I'm not sure what else would be worth exploring in the world they've presented, since everyone important seems to be related to eachother and/or dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Season 2 should be a completely new story where it's revealed at some point that the show is now taking place in the universe of the movie, not the comic.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
If Dr. Manhattan's line about the relationship ending in tragedy is a reference to Angela ending up inheriting his powers that could sorta kinda make sense but this is highly unlikely.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They should just skip season 2 and go straight into season 3.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
me before watching this show: a watchmen spinoff is wholly unnecessary
me after watching the show: hey i was right

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Well that was a big dumb (but entertaining) ending. Trieu just let’s Angela hang out by the cage while all of her assistants gently caress off, squid rain that can punch holes through a hand but Angela can put a box over her head and run a block and be fine (remember Veidt saying everything within 5 blocks will be destroyed), Looking Glass and Laurie do nothing for most of the show, “guys guys the FBI will totally go after the president...wink”, the cop with clear unresolved anger issues becoming Dr M and the show treating that like a good thing, etc.

How did we get from the Leftovers (one of my favorite shows) to this?

Forgot the inscrutable oriental character who is smart because of her genius white father.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raxivace posted:

They should just skip season 2 and go straight into season 3.

Genius.

I have every faith that Watchmen season 2 will go about as well as True Detective season 2. When you have a show with a high degree of difficulty and you pull it off, quit while you're ahead.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mullitt posted:

Season 1 would be a strange jumping off point for an anthology series since it's basically a repeat/remix of the comic with a lot of the same characters. I'm not sure what else would be worth exploring in the world they've presented, since everyone important seems to be related to eachother and/or dead.

Yeah, really the only thing is Night Owl from the original comic, and you could potentially explore police departments and 7th Kalvary groups elsewhere in the country, since there could be some interesting stuff going on there. But since S1 already included Laurie, Veidt, Doc, Hooded Justice and already showed a bunch of the elements I mentioned (which themselves were heavily tied into the original comic like the 7K with Rorschach), it would be pretty underwhelming to focus just the scattered handful of elements that were left out.

They could potentially double back and base a season around some of the in-between stuff like Laurie and Dan's foiling of the Oklahoma City bombing or the Long Night, while expanded outward during those, I guess.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

zoux posted:

I have every faith that Watchmen season 2 will go about as well as True Detective season 2. When you have a show with a high degree of difficulty and you pull it off, quit while you're ahead.

Yeah this is the most likely outcome. But these are TV execs and theyll ride this high until ratings and critical good will tank.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Was treiu's mom really smart too? The clone was working on a dissertation but I thought the original was a cleaning lady or something

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's funny looking back on the season how little of that Veidt stuff even mattered in the end. How would the season have been any different if he just wasn't involved at all(maybe Looking Glass sees the video but that's it) until the last episode reveal that Trieu had him locked up the whole time?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

It's funny looking back on the season how little of that Veidt stuff even mattered in the end. How would the season have been any different if he just wasn't involved at all(maybe Looking Glass sees the video but that's it) until the last episode reveal that Trieu had him locked up the whole time?

It would be less fun because you wouldn't have Jeremy Irons hamming it up and loving with a bunch of weird clones

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Early in the season they talk about Russia getting their own portal tech and its brushed off by the senator. Treiu could have injected some hero dna into her mom clone, 7C isnt all destroyed just that current leadership, if Russia thinks there's no Dr. M to "come back" and save the USA they might respark the cold war. You could get into how Veidt might be needed to save the world again while in prison. It seems like there's enough in the world to continue good stories in it.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

just another posted:

I think the second season should continue the Manhangela plot and have her go on an apocalyptic murder & brainwashing spree to end racism so that I can watch the thread rip itself apart over whether or not her totalitarian barbarism is justified.

Now that's a Game of Thrones deja vu right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Was treiu's mom really smart too? The clone was working on a dissertation but I thought the original was a cleaning lady or something

The show argues that only Men beget intelligence, alas and smh.