Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

VitalSigns posted:

lol if you think she'll stand up to him on anything of substance, especially over a piece of paper written up in some tiny region Americans have never heard of.

Like I know you're an extremely online dimwit VitalSigns, but "Americans have never heard of Ireland" is amazing even for you. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Grape posted:

Messing with Irish stuff actually gets Republicans and Democrats both mad together. It won't even be hard to get bipartisan support on that sort of thing.

capital will soothe any moral outrage that inhibits plundering the uk

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think it's any skin off Boris's nose if he jettisons Northern Ireland and leaves the DUP in the lurch to appease the USA, though.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think it's any skin off Boris's nose if he jettisons Northern Ireland and leaves the DUP in the lurch to appease the USA, though.

It's not his decision to make. It can only be done by joint referenda north and south of the border in Ireland.

Although now the Tories have dropped all pretence of being unionists and gone full English nationalism it's not unthinkable that they might withdraw from the GFA.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

BMX Ninja posted:

It's not his decision to make. It can only be done by joint referenda north and south of the border in Ireland.

Although now the Tories have dropped all pretence of being unionists and gone full English nationalism it's not unthinkable that they might withdraw from the GFA.

thats not the only way it can be done :jihad:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

30 years of armed struggle and Brexit just comes right out and unites Ireland.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grape posted:

Messing with Irish stuff actually gets Republicans and Democrats both mad together. It won't even be hard to get bipartisan support on that sort of thing.

the IRA republican guy is retiring so no one is going to care anymore

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BMX Ninja posted:

He can put a hard border down the Irish Sea, no problem. Lets him have his NDB without pissing off Irish-American Catholics.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Grape posted:

Like I know you're an extremely online dimwit VitalSigns, but "Americans have never heard of Ireland" is amazing even for you. Wow.

boston, more like new dublin

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grape posted:

Northern Ireland

Imagine getting this mad because someone pointed out what a sycophant Nancy Pelosi is lol

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

dublin is named that because there are twice as many irelands as there should be

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I hate to break it to you but, Americans aren't going to give a poo poo about Northern Ireland

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
there are tons of Americans who identify as scots-Irish but who probably also think that puts them on the side of the IRA

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nothus posted:

I hate to break it to you but, Americans aren't going to give a poo poo about Northern Ireland

Excuse me I spoke to Tanner Jenkins in the Nebraska panhandle, and he begged me with tears in his eyes not to let Pelosi pass a trade deal with the UK as long as it was in violation of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement guaranteeing the rights of religious minorities in Northern Ireland, its status and system of government, and its relationship with respect to Ireland and the United Kingdom and their relationships with each other.

He was beside himself.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the IRA republican guy is retiring so no one is going to care anymore

lol at thinking Peter King was the nexus and source of American Irish sympathies

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

Northern Ireland

Yeah I know what it is dimwit.
And Americans just funnel all and any news about Northern Ireland goings on into one category, called "Ireland".

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1206930486620250112?s=20

Grape posted:

lol at thinking Peter King was the nexus and source of American Irish sympathies

US politics has reshuffled quite a bit since the 1990s. The Good Friday Agreement was implemented prior to 9/11 and the strengthening of white identity politics creates an opening for Unionists to exploit if they're savvy.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Atrocious Joe posted:

US politics has reshuffled quite a bit since the 1990s. The Good Friday Agreement was implemented prior to 9/11 and the strengthening of white identity politics creates an opening for Unionists to exploit if they're savvy.

American Protestants with Ulster-Scots background just think they're Irish Irish. Irish being shamrocks, guiness, leprechauns, and U2.
The Unionists are invisible, and the Troubles are seen as brave Irish freedom fighters resisting the Brits.

It's a treacherous uphill battle against confounding ignorance and the plastic paddy industry.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Grape posted:

i mean in congress he was. i'm unaware of anyone else in the house that's been shown to have helped the IRA purchase weapons

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/GhostofAckbar/status/1207015275914235907?s=20
https://twitter.com/GhostofAckbar/status/1207016549082714113?s=20

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

Excuse me I spoke to Tanner Jenkins in the Nebraska panhandle, and he begged me with tears in his eyes not to let Pelosi pass a trade deal with the UK as long as it was in violation of the 1998 Good Friday Agreement guaranteeing the rights of religious minorities in Northern Ireland, its status and system of government, and its relationship with respect to Ireland and the United Kingdom and their relationships with each other.

He was beside himself.

The GFA is regarded as one of the few success stories in American diplomatic intervention that didn't end in disaster or have serious unforeseen downsides. It's also an international treaty recognised by the UN with the USA as a guarantor. The Friends of Ireland bloc in the Senate/Congress is pretty influential, probably second only to the pro-Israel bloc.

As for Tanner Jenkins, regular Joes managed to be interested enough in Ireland to fund a 30-year IRA campaign of armed struggle | terror [ delete as appropriate ] through NORAID.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

He was beside himself.

Lol O'Neill isn't in the panhandle

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BMX Ninja posted:

The GFA is regarded as one of the few success stories in American diplomatic intervention that didn't end in disaster or have serious unforeseen downsides. It's also an international treaty recognised by the UN with the USA as a guarantor. The Friends of Ireland bloc in the Senate/Congress is pretty influential, probably second only to the pro-Israel bloc.

As for Tanner Jenkins, regular Joes managed to be interested enough in Ireland to fund a 30-year IRA campaign of armed struggle | terror [ delete as appropriate ] through NORAID.

A lot of the people in the US with connections to Ireland who funded the IRA have died. If their descendants are CHUDs, they're going to side with the unionists flying confederate flags over the nationalists who show solidarity with Palestine. There's still pockets of Irish expats and immigrants in cities but I don't think they're that important politically, except maybe Boston. While plenty of people in the US love shamrocks and St. Patrick's Day, it's not that hard to separate the struggles in Northern Ireland from the rest of the country.

I just don't see Northern Ireland being a bipartisan issue once King is dead, as long as the rest of Ireland and the multinationals that have relocated there are safe.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

A lot of the people in the US with connections to Ireland who funded the IRA have died. If their descendants are CHUDs, they're going to side with the unionists flying confederate flags over the nationalists who show solidarity with Palestine. There's still pockets of Irish expats and immigrants in cities but I don't think they're that important politically, except maybe Boston. While plenty of people in the US love shamrocks and St. Patrick's Day, it's not that hard to separate the struggles in Northern Ireland from the rest of the country.

I just don't see Northern Ireland being a bipartisan issue once King is dead, as long as the rest of Ireland and the multinationals that have relocated there are safe.

i've known a number of people of irish descent who would consider themselves to be on the right/republican who would absolutely support the irish republicans over unionists as a matter of "irish pride".

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Ditto the sentiment that all Scotch-Irish protestants 100% have no idea what Scotch-Irish means and identify with the Irish part of it and in their brain just relive the movie Braveheart but with Guinness. I've broken a few hearts of family members by explaining what our actual heritage is (we also have real irish in there so it's not all bad) but I've decided the current dynamic is really for the best.
American chuds who aren't explicit pepe nazi's also as a rule support Scottish independence and really just kind of have a passive dislike of the English in general.

e: The heart of aristocracy obsessed "keep Britain together" poo poo (such that it exists in the US) is the Warren/Buttigieg wings of the Democratic party. People who watch Downton Abbey and any movie/show about the inane love-lives of inbred freaks.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Dec 17, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Zedhe Khoja posted:

American chuds who aren't explicit pepe nazi's also as a rule support Scottish independence and really just kind of have a passive dislike of the English in general.

when theyre right theyre right

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

It's always chuddy in Brexitelphia.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Ditto the sentiment that all Scotch-Irish protestants 100% have no idea what Scotch-Irish means and identify with the Irish part of it and in their brain just relive the movie Braveheart but with Guinness. I've broken a few hearts of family members by explaining what our actual heritage is (we also have real irish in there so it's not all bad) but I've decided the current dynamic is really for the best.

e: The heart of aristocracy obsessed "keep Britain together" poo poo (such that it exists in the US) is the Warren/Buttigieg wings of the Democratic party. People who watch Downton Abbey and any movie/show about the inane love-lives of inbred freaks.

You should never tell Scotch-Irish where they really come from and what they did. Adopting an American identity and not caring where they came from is the best thing they've ever done. If you tell Scotch-Irish about what's up they might get the dumb white person brain disease where they try to get in touch with their roots.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My mum did a genealogy deep dive a few years back and discovered our family made a fuckton of money shipping impoverished Ulster Scots out of Ireland during the famine years, before generations of failsons squandered the money away.

But I'd still like to take a moment to apologize for my ancestors' sins in inflicting Irish Americans upon the world.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

You'd be surprised. Americans love Ireland, or at least the idea of Ireland, and the narrative is one that appeals to Americans on both sides of the aisle. There are a lot of people who identify as Irish-American--ten percent of the population--and Irish-Americans are fascinated with themselves. (I include myself in that group and description.) A considerable number of us do have an active interest in Ireland and its politics, and did during The Troubles; a few families I knew growing up took in kids from Belfast for a summer through groups like Project Children. The Good Friday Agreement is sacrosanct over here.

As for the rest of the country, it's a narrative that's right up our alley: Ireland is a charming, scrappy underdog (who speaks English) up against our former ruler. England is an easy antagonist, we use English accents as shorthand for evil/old-fashioned/snobby over here. Get people the littlest bit aware and interested, and there'll be considerable support/pressure for Ireland.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You should never tell Scotch-Irish where they really come from and what they did. Adopting an American identity and not caring where they came from is the best thing they've ever done. If you tell Scotch-Irish about what's up they might get the dumb white person brain disease where they try to get in touch with their roots.

Well alot of them DO care about where they come from, they just think their ancestors were the ones being starved during the Famine.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

american CHUDs absolutely do not know about the leftism of the IRA, the solidarity with palestine, or really anything about norn iron. they think of irish people as tough and scrappy and maybe mobsters if they're from boston and british people as snooty elitists. america, especially the right of america, processes myths on an incredibly shallow and simplistic level, and they're very pro-ireland. i think trump could probably get his minions on the side of bojo if he wanted to, but he clearly doesn't.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Well alot of them DO care about where they come from, they just think their ancestors were the ones being starved during the Famine.

Good.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I bet most Americans would struggle to point out where Ireland is on a map . probably point at Iceland or something

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gradenko_2000 posted:

counterpoint: don't elect a new party leader until the last possible second to give a minimum amount of time for the smearing

mostly worked in new zealand in 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jel Shaker posted:

I bet most Americans would struggle to point out where Ireland is on a map . probably point at Iceland or something

Yeah but they can barely point to the USA, much less anything further than one country away.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
cspam: identity politics are a disease resulting from capitalism
also cspam: as an irish-american, i am fascinated by my history,

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The idea that white identity/supremacy politics would motivate anyone in america to support London, UK against the IRA in so freakishly weird.

Consider the cynical IRA terrorist fundraiser guy just putting 2 and 2 together and telling his chudly would-be donors with their celtic knot tattoos and guiness beer that "they're trying to build mosques in ireland, like they have all over england now."

Compare that with "actually the Irish arent really white so you should support britain, we are" and see which one gets you the most mileage with the white identity crowd.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

redleader posted:

cspam: identity politics are a disease resulting from capitalism
also cspam: as an irish-american, i am fascinated by my history,

https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/802982411474636800?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I hope I am wrong and if stuff gets worse these freaks have spent decades trying to create a pan-Atlantic settler colonial identity for nothing