Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems a weird decision to have kylo become a ghost, insofar as this is the only type of death not yet demonstrated reversible as convenience requires. But perhaps this is merely setting up the last boundary that needs to be overcome before luke, darth vader, yoda, obi wan, and everyone come in for a huge party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So apparently Lucas did not attend/was not invited to the premiere last night. Despite going to a lot of previous Disney SW events. Cue conspiracies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s old and doesn’t care ?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

euphronius posted:

He’s old and doesn’t care ?

Except he was allegedly brought on at the 11th hour to help save EP9 and had his own cut of the movie just a few weeks ago.

If that was the case then there must be some bitterness to not attend the premiere when everyone else on the crew did.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 17, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Shaocaholica posted:

Except he was allegedly brought on at the 11th hour to help save EP9 and had his own cut of the movie just a few weeks ago.
If this is true, holy poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

If that was the case then there must be some bitterness to not attend the premiere when everyone else on the crew did.

Hahah I didn’t know that. Incredible.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shaocaholica posted:

On the one hand, he might just be busy flipping off his rich NIMBY neighbors by building a bunch of low-income housing on his own dime. On the other hand, wow if Disney pissed off Lucas that much then poo poo is really hitting the fan behind closed doors and if details get out that might poison the brand for a long time.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mat Cauthon posted:

On the one hand, he might just be busy flipping off his rich NIMBY neighbors by building a bunch of low-income housing on his own dime. On the other hand, wow if Disney pissed off Lucas that much then poo poo is really hitting the fan behind closed doors and if details get out that might poison the brand for a long time.

Nah its OK. Brand has been poisoned for a while now. Disney needs to put this into the vault and wait a generation for the nerds to die off or develop alzheimers. The nerd kids right now are immune to it hopefully and will forget.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's wild that lucas was willing to do that at all considering the extent to which they put his sequel treatments in the dumpster. George it's time to :sever:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Nah its OK. Brand has been poisoned for a while now.

Is it? People like the tv show and the rides at the parks. And didn’t Fallen Order do well? Idk

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What I want to know is who and when was balance brought to the force? End of 3 with Anakin who was dumped head first in both sides? End of 6 with Luke who now had the opportunity to start from scratch despite Jedi leanings? Or the end of 9 now with Rey whose training couldn't even make the final cut of the movie, doesn't know poo poo, and the suggestion of lots of force sensitive users existing out in the universe is everything being in balance?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shaocaholica posted:

That sounds like bullshit to me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Granted star wars has a future as a TV franchise if the baby yoda show is any indication. The news out of the theme park/toys/games sector is mixed at best.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

nessin posted:

What I want to know is who and when was balance brought to the force? End of 3 with Anakin who was dumped head first in both sides? End of 6 with Luke who now had the opportunity to start from scratch despite Jedi leanings? Or the end of 9 now with Rey whose training couldn't even make the final cut of the movie, doesn't know poo poo, and the suggestion of lots of force sensitive users existing out in the universe is everything being in balance?

Lucas said balance was brought when Luke redeemed Anakin and Anakin fulfilled the prophecy by launching Sheev down a shaft, destroying the Sith once and for all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mandolorian cannot be cheap. (I think is saw something like 20 mill an episode?). Probably not expect it’s quality for ever.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

nessin posted:

Anakin corrected the light overbalance by helping eliminate the Jedi and then correct the dark overbalance by yeeting Palpatine. All it took was 20 years and millions of lives lost (billions) for his kid to come along and tell him he was being a dick.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

Anakin corrected the light overbalance by helping eliminate the Jedi and then correct the dark overbalance by yeeting Palpatine. All it took was 20 years and millions of lives lost (billions) for his kid to come along and tell him he was being a dick.

'light overbalance' isn't a thing in the lucas films, EU poo poo has tried to make it into a dumb centrist 'white people badly understanding yin-yang' grey jedi nonsense but as far as the OT and ST are concerned there's just the force and balance means removing people who use it for evil ends

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

euphronius posted:

Mandolorian cannot be cheap. (I think is saw something like 20 mill an episode?). Probably not expect it’s quality for ever.
It’s Disney Plus’s marquee show, it will probably keep that budget. It’s $20 mil/episode and there are 8 episodes, so it’s about as expensive as a regular Star Wars movie

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s Disney Plus’s marquee show, it will probably keep that budget. It’s $20 mil/episode and there are 8 episodes, so it’s about as expensive as a regular Star Wars movie

I meant past the mandolorian. Plus Favreau is an A+ talent leading it. Which won’t always happen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

#ReleaseTheLucasCut

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

John Wick of Dogs posted:

#ReleaseTheLucasCut

This summer, only on D+.

What would SW movies be without Lucas adding poo poo after the fact.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Also can we blame kennedy at all for this disaster of five movies or is that not allowed

Who the gently caress knows at this point. She has decades of experience, has produced good films in the past, so it'd be weird that she'd forget all that for a few movies. Studio exec pressure, nobody but Feige actually knowing how to stumble upon a cinematic universe, a gently caress ton of other possibilities.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I liked that Anakin murdering the Jedi was a hilarious way to balance the force but I can live with balance essentially being a normal person with emotions both anger and calm in check.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

'light overbalance' isn't a thing in the lucas films, EU poo poo has tried to make it into a dumb centrist 'white people badly understanding yin-yang' grey jedi nonsense but as far as the OT and ST are concerned there's just the force and balance means removing people who use it for evil ends

Isn't it explicit stated in ROTS that the Jedi being so numerous and complacent was part of the reason that Sidious was able to do his thing? Also while the sequels have been super inconsistent there's been a theme of Dark and Light "rising to meet the other". Not disagreeing with your point overall but it seems like the framing so far has been that neither side should be allowed to be too powerful, but Light is generally given some space to grow as long as those individuals are keeping themselves in check and balancing their own emotions (i.e. using anger as motivation do to the right thing rather than being corrupted by it).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Adam Driver: Please, Kathleen Kennedy! I don't wanna go! (Don't shoot me into outer space)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The light side wasn’t even in the prequels or the ot iirc. The dark side was a perversion or violence in the Force which threw it out of wack and getting rid of Sith (and the Jedi of that period who were also into the dark side) put everything right. Or so that is how I interpreted it.

The force awakens changes this.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Shaocaholica posted:

What the everloving gently caress are you talking abou---
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/12/09/rumor-disney-will-not-use-rumored-george-lucas-cut-of-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker/

quote:

Doomcock adds, “This cut allegedly consists of 30 or so minutes of additional footage and contains a brilliant idea from the mind of George Lucas, a secret Skywalker.”

His source describes that this secret Skywalker “completely transforms not only the film, but perhaps the whole abominable sequel trilogy itself.”
:staredog:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Please come back, George Lucas. Save us from this madness.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Please, Mrs. Kennedy, I just want to go (yeet my role into a big-rear end pit) oh oh

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
More juicy, completely unsubstantiated rumor:
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/star-wars-rise-skywalker-test-screenings-disaster-george-lucas/

quote:

The last entry in the Skywalker Saga not only promises to wrap up the Sequel Trilogy, but also bring the ancient conflict between the Jedi and the Sith to its definitive end. One would assume that’s a lot of threads to weave together in a single movie, and they’d be right. It would seem that fans have been worried for all the right reasons, as a new rumor claims that early test screenings were so disastrous that Disney CEO Bob Iger promptly asked director J.J. Abrams to redo much of the film and even asked George Lucas to come in and make some changes.

Of course, we’ll file this one strictly in the rumor cabinet for now since it comes from a YouTuber with a questionable track record, but according to them, the test screenings were made up of hardcore fans, casual fans, and general audience members who were simply aware of Star Wars. The first version, which the YouTuber calls the Abrams/Kennedy cut, had the lowest average score (29), mostly due to a lackluster third act.

It’s said that one huge problem was when Rey destroyed Emperor Palpatine and essentially owned him in an “OP fashion” during their last battle. At that point, everyone burst into laughter and this enraged Iger, who was also present during the screening. He then proceeded to order a redo of the movie which brings us to the second cut.

Apparently, Iger specifically asked Abrams to bring in Anakin and Luke “in the flesh” (we’re not entirely sure what that means) and the revised version from Disney’s boss received a better score (65) in the following test screening. But that wasn’t enough, and George Lucas was then brought in to make some amendments.

The rumor suggests that Lucas incorporated elements from both versions and edited the finale, introducing a secret Skywalker in the third act. This garnered a much more positive reaction and received the best score (88).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmao if Lucas gets a credit as editor

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know things are going well when everyone is biting on, "This version is soso, but there's a better version out there we weren't allowed to see ... that George Lucas EDITED."

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

article posted:

He continues, “Pending further confirmation, my source informs me that the George Lucas cut could be a redeeming light at the end of this soy soaked agenda darkened, canon destroy tunnel.”

Doomcock then opines, “It seems clear that they have decided not to release the Lucas version because apparently this would be viewed by those inside the company as a repudiation of the current regime and Kathleen Kennedy would lose face.”

Seems legit.

e: my star wars villain name is "canon destroy"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i hate disney star wars but this still sounds fake as gently caress

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Doomcock then opines,

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Is SuperShadow still around?

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

quote:

The rumor suggests that Lucas incorporated elements from both versions and edited the finale, introducing a secret Skywalker in the third act. This garnered a much more positive reaction and received the best score (88).

Well, if one considers Kylo to be the "secret" Skywalker (which he basically is) then this at least checks out.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The parallels between how the human mind operates when it comes to religion and now modern fictional universes will never not cease to amaze me.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
We should trust the name "Doomcock" of course.

I want to see an interview with Abrams that has the question beginning with, "According to YouTuber Doomcock, there exists an edit from Lucas that..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How the gently caress can Lucas make a cut about a new secret Skywalker with existing footage, if that wasn't one of the initial plans that JJ discarded mid-filming -or- what's what some of the reshoots were for? If former was the basis, then really what the gently caress. --edit: If true, anyway.