Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Therapy helps, Kitteh helps, supportive family and friends helps.
But I think what I really need is hope for the future.
we're all out of that, but we can offer dank memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You can't even call Sears anymore. If you call them and ask for an air conditioner they just tell you they hope you die from the heat and slam the phone into the trash.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
uncut gems doesn’t come out here until next week which means i get to watch it completely alone cuz everyone will be at star wars and the fact my partner won’t watch another safdie brothers movie. when we were driving after good time i was told i am “bitter” and to “stop taking about gnosis, we are going to a party.”

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

drat it I missed the chance to talk about video games.
My game of the decade and possibly my favorite game of all-time is Skyrim. If you ask me why I prefer Skyrim to New Vegas I can only give you two feasible answers.
1) New Vegas's map is designed to herd you in a counterclockwise direction along the map. Which is absolutely not what I want in an open-world RPG.
2) Beyond that minor detail, I don't really know. It's just one of those things where my knee-jerk reaction is always 'Skyrim' when I ask myself that question.
Obviously New Vegas gets a very honorable mention along with Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Fire Emblem: 3 Houses

I see what you mean by picking Skyrim as GOTD but personally, the more I've had time to think about Skyrim, the less I like it. It's the definition of "wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle", especially when it comes to the quest design as well as character and storyline writing, which are like the most important aspects of an RPG. Pretty much all of the major storylines apart maybe from the Dark Brohood are pathetically thin and banal. Well, the Dragonborn DLC was very good too.

Don't get me wrong, I spent ages with that game and platinumed it and 100% its DLCs. Here's where I think the game succeeded:

1) Streamlining RPG mechanics smartly to a point where you'd have to be a real moron or want to prove a point to make a truly unplayable build while still having enough genuinely viable options to tailor your character to a gameplay style you like or to a character you want to roleplay as (even if the quests rarely give you space to roleplay).
2) Extremely strong art direction where I honestly think the last-gen base game still holds up quite well. Sure, the textures are rough to look at close range now and there are some truly questionable animations, but as a whole I'd say they really pulled off the look they were going for.
3) As always with Bethesda, excellent environmental storytelling. All the tiny, environmental stories and mini-quests, dialogues, books and letters, combined with the visual design like architecture etc. make that world feel like a real, lived-in place.

It's a world I'd like to revisit again, but... not necessarily take part in the stories, really.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 17, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I have, through careful examination, have determined that all the Indian TV shows on netflix are loving terrible. Pretty actors stuck in contrived plots because no one can sit down and talk like a normal person. There's also a severe lack of practicality. Like trained professionals missing important details and the like.

ended up watching the live action of Mob Psycho 100. Which is also terrible but at least I can sorta identify with the telepathy club chick wanting to kick Mob's rear end.

coconono fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 17, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

coconono posted:

I have, through careful examination, have determined that all the Indian TV shows on netflix are loving terrible. Pretty actors stuck in contrived plots because no one can sit down and talk like a normal person.

ended up watching the live action of Mob Psycho 100. Which is also terrible but at least I can sorta identify with the telepathy club chick wanting to kick Mob's rear end.

I trust you've watched the actual Mob Psycho 100? poo poo's amazing (well, I didn't like the ending of season 2 that much. That series most definitely shouldn't have devolved into ANIME BEAMZ)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

extradite THIS! posted:

I trust you've watched the actual Mob Psycho 100? poo poo's amazing (well, I didn't like the ending of season 2 that much. That series most definitely shouldn't have devolved into ANIME BEAMZ)

it was on my list when I still had a crunchyroll sub but like a lot of anime I pretty much have to have it shoved onto me for whatever reason.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

As far as I know without having seen it, the live action version basically misunderstands the entire point AND joke of Mob joining the Body Improvement Club instead of the lovely Telepathy Club, which is like one of the most important parts of the entire story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

extradite THIS! posted:

I got to the episode in season 2 where (it looks like) Mob's parents and brother got burned alive and while I suspect it's a fakeout I haven't watched any more because I don't want my beautiful little friendly wholesome boy who just so happens to be the world's most powerful psychic to be sad :smith:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Skyrim but with the guild quest lines of Oblivion would be a great game. All the guilds in Skyrim was like do 5 quests and now you’re the boss. You could become the most powerful person in all spheres of society in like a week of in-game time

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Anybody got any charity recommendations? Now that I have a bit of disposable income I’m looking to spread the love, but I’m wary of the Susan g komen’s of the world.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
-rainn
-trans life line
-unicef
-me

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Skyrim but with the guild quest lines of Oblivion would be a great game. All the guilds in Skyrim was like do 5 quests and now you’re the boss. You could become the most powerful person in all spheres of society in like a week of in-game time

Yeah, and also Skyrim has that thing I believe Fallout 4 also had (don't have a current-gen console or a good PC so haven't played it) where the game desperately wants you to experience absolutely everything it has with a single character. AND in Skyrim at least the world doesn't react to your achievements in any way apart from random people going "wow u seem like a big time wizard". Like you become the loving archmage and kill a world-devouring dragon and the people in the Companions still treat you like you're some piece of poo poo nobody if you haven't touched their questline yet. Maybe it's like WWE lol

Compare that to, say, New Vegas where your choices will lock you out of certain options and even entire stories. Some people will hate you for what you've done regardless of what you do. Because not every character in games like these should be able to do everything and be the beloved king/queen of every single person in the world.

There is, by my count, one emotionally impactful storyline decision to be made in Skyrim: Do you kill the friendly cool dragon Paarthurnax because some old gently caress told you to or not. And that too has next to zero effect on anything in the game

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 17, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think it was Way of the Samurai games that really rewarded you for multiple playthroughs. The game itself was short. Like about 2 hours of loving around at most with permadeath.

I really wish RPGs would include more fleeing mechanics in their random encounters. Like "holy poo poo, we have picked on the wrong party! skedaddle!" stuff. I want to feel powerful and appreciated in videogames because sometimes I don't feel like it in real life.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the way of the samurai games own bones

do they still make them

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Anybody got any charity recommendations? Now that I have a bit of disposable income I’m looking to spread the love, but I’m wary of the Susan g komen’s of the world.

save the vaquita

http://www.vivavaquita.org/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WatermelonGun posted:

the way of the samurai games own bones

do they still make them

I played 4 on PS Now, but it doesn't look they've announced anything else. Its a really cool concept that scratches that short burst gaming itch.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Keep a look out for local charities. There's a good chance there's a charity in your area set up to help young homeless queer people who could use some help.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sorry for making GBS threads on your favorite game by the way, ChrisBTY. It's just that I know people who'd say the same as you, but, while I hopefully made clear that I do in fact like Skyrim to some extent, nowadays I can't help but see the glaring problems in it. Bethesda turning out to be a real piece of poo poo company in the recent years also doesn't help I guess

Of course I also realize that favorite =/= best

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 17, 2019

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Look into local charities in your area. All my regular donations are local (food bank, animal rescue, hospice, etc.).

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like Skyrim! I haven't picked it up since the week I got it in November 2011 but I missed that entire week of school because I physically couldn't put it down.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Way of the Samurai is so awesome and weird. I have replayed those games so often. They are just so unapologetically japanese.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
every game should let you turn right the gently caress around and bail on your quest at the very beginning

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NienNunb posted:

I like Skyrim! I haven't picked it up since the week I got it in November 2011 but I missed that entire week of school because I physically couldn't put it down.

unlike previous entries in the series, Skyrim doesn't let you over-encumber yourself from grabbing EVERY SINGLE THING in the obligatory intro dungeon escape sequence. Why yes I really do need 370 skulls, 27 ladles, and 15 empty wine bottles.

if you haven't hoovered a whole dungeon's worth of crap and thrown it somewhere else, you haven't properly Elder Scrolled yet.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Playing Outer Worlds made me appreciate the TES/Bethsoft Fallout games more. Their post-Morrowind stories and character depth are unfortunately lacking as hell, but they're unparalleled for that life-simmy thing of having a living world around you. They're janky and breaking at basically every corner but they're offering something that still isn't really available elsewhere. Outer Worlds felt like walking through a series of theme parks full of stationary actors who were waiting to bark their couple of lines when I walked by.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If they really wanted to go all the way, they'd mashup Stardew Valley and TES games. You don't wanna do the quests and just farm all day? gently caress yeah, lets start a family while the world burns.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

coconono posted:

If they really wanted to go all the way, they'd mashup Stardew Valley and TES games. You don't wanna do the quests and just farm all day? gently caress yeah, lets start a family while the world burns.

Rune Factory already exists

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

coconono posted:

unlike previous entries in the series, Skyrim doesn't let you over-encumber yourself from grabbing EVERY SINGLE THING in the obligatory intro dungeon escape sequence. Why yes I really do need 370 skulls, 27 ladles, and 15 empty wine bottles.

if you haven't hoovered a whole dungeon's worth of crap and thrown it somewhere else, you haven't properly Elder Scrolled yet.

hey now, I’ll have you know that those skulls, ladles and empty bottles netted me a whole 420 gold (after I threw in two balls of yarn and all the sack cloth pants I could loot) and all it cost me was my utterly worthless time :smaug:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CarlCX posted:

Outer Worlds felt like walking through a series of theme parks full of stationary actors who were waiting to bark their couple of lines when I walked by.
This is a good summary for why the game felt off to me. It's so very Fallout while being kinda not very Fallout at all.

On the other hand it didn't crash or break or do weird poo poo for my whole playthrough so maybe that's ok?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got the bug where a companion will randomly permanently die in your ship. Thankfully I had a save only a few minute before it happened so I was able to recover.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

extradite THIS! posted:

Sorry for making GBS threads on your favorite game by the way, ChrisBTY. It's just that I know people who'd say the same as you, but, while I hopefully made clear that I do in fact like Skyrim to some extent, nowadays I can't help but see the glaring problems in it. Bethesda turning out to be a real piece of poo poo company in the recent years also doesn't help I guess

Of course I also realize that favorite =/= best

Don't worry about that, I know familiarity breeds contempt. Luckily one of my gifts is "It doesn't take much to get me invested/immersed" so I can handwave a lot of storyline stuff.
And I think Skyrim was better than FO4 in that regard.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

I got the bug where a companion will randomly permanently die in your ship. Thankfully I had a save only a few minute before it happened so I was able to recover.

They tracked it down and it turned out if you got into a conversation while your companion was climbing a ladder they would just continue climbing forever until you stopped talking. Then they would plummet.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That is a shockingly fallout sounding bug

But I mean obviously games have bugs and crash and do weird things, it's just that with bethesda they coast on their old trashfire engine a lot further than is normal. So comparing the two felt positive in that exchange.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Push El Burrito posted:

They tracked it down and it turned out if you got into a conversation while your companion was climbing a ladder they would just continue climbing forever until you stopped talking. Then they would plummet.

I love this bug so much.

The new Star Wars film is apparently not very good.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Please amend rule 2 to include all Star Wars

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Honestly let's just pretend it doesn't exist.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the best thing about star wars is a couple of board games (rebellion, imperial assault) and video games (kotor 2, jedi academy)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

We can talk about the original SW battlefront 2, my favorite game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Insertnamehere31 posted:

American Cancer Society. This is a little unknown thing, at least to me before benefiting from it this past summer, but they use their money to set up basically dorm facilities for patients nearby a cancer center. It makes it super easy for people doing their treatments to get to and from an appointment as they can stay at the dorm just down the block from the hospital and not worry about traveling far to get to a place to relax and recover. Plus the biggest benefit is, it's 100% free for the patient. You just need to be lucky enough that the dorm you're looking to use has a vacant room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

WatermelonGun posted:

uncut gems doesn’t come out here until next week which means i get to watch it completely alone cuz everyone will be at star wars and the fact my partner won’t watch another safdie brothers movie. when we were driving after good time i was told i am “bitter” and to “stop taking about gnosis, we are going to a party.”

good time was my fave movie of that year i think. dont make me think of the other movies that came out that year though