Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Scarodactyl posted:

I may have been drilling through the hardened steel outer layer of a sheave with a masonry bit without properly clamping it down, and it may have then hit the soft plastic layer beneath and grabbed and flung it into my chest.
Fingat fine though so it's all good.

TLDR: Your drill press took a swing at you and you told it to get bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've heard of a right-angle chuck adaptor, but this is ridiculous!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GotLag posted:

No I'm pretty sure that's just a bit for drilling sideways holes

Budget fly-cutter

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Not exactly crappy construction, but

I feel like I really accomplished something today.

I did this not too long ago. Granted, this bit was one of those "included in a box of screws and anchors" quality bits, but it still didn't tickle when it happened.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hardened steel should snap instead of bending, that's basically proof in both cases that the bit was not heat treated properly (or at all) and/or was made of mild steel. Like, mega garbage-tier quality, given how cheap it is to make and heat treat small drill bits normally anyway.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mildly sunny day-treated

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

hardened steel should snap instead of bending, that's basically proof in both cases that the bit was not heat treated properly (or at all) and/or was made of mild steel. Like, mega garbage-tier quality, given how cheap it is to make and heat treat small drill bits normally anyway.
4 whole dollars at lowes. Are masonry bits perhaps done differently, since they need to be harder at the tip than a normal bit? Then again I have bent normal cheap bits when they stuck and spun my project, just never this dramatically. It did go through the hardened steel anyway. Annoying to get the metal flung at me but I got the project finished.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I bend and snap lil 3mm wood drill bits all the dang time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

4 whole dollars at lowes. Are masonry bits perhaps done differently, since they need to be harder at the tip than a normal bit? Then again I have bent normal cheap bits when they stuck and spun my project, just never this dramatically. It did go through the hardened steel anyway. Annoying to get the metal flung at me but I got the project finished.

I guess it's possible that a masonry bit could have just the tip hardened with the shank intentionally left softer so that it doesn't shatter as easily if it binds up?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jaded Burnout posted:

I bend and snap lil 3mm wood drill bits all the dang time.

Weird, I only can find ones made out of metal at the store

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Weird, I only can find ones made out of metal at the store

I make my own out of disposable chopsticks.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The neighbor spent most of last summer putting up fence, paving their driveway and painting, along with adding this, uh, roof to the front porch.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Slim Pickens posted:

The neighbor spent most of last summer putting up fence, paving their driveway and painting, along with adding this, uh, roof to the front porch.

hahahahaha what

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

im sorry what

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
It looks like when somebody fucks up shuffling a deck of cards.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The fence and driveway look fine though, was he possessed by Grover before he could figure out that a roof was beyond his skill?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ah, perfect, a void the ideal size and location for a bird nest

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
"poo poo, the door isn't perfectly centered with the roof..."

"I HAVE AN IDEA!!"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Leperflesh posted:

I guess it's possible that a masonry bit could have just the tip hardened with the shank intentionally left softer so that it doesn't shatter as easily if it binds up?

Masonry bits are generally a little carbide arrow tip brazed to a regular steel shank. How lovely that regular steel is depends entirely on how cheap your bit set was. "Included in the box" ones are single use only.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Got it. In that case it's no surprise at all that a masonry bit could bend instead of snapping.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Come and go with me
To my groverhaus
Come and go with me
To my groverhaus

It's a big big house
With insulated stairs
A big big table
With lots and lots of plugs
A big big yard
With random placed shrubs
A big big house
It's my groverhaus

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Slim Pickens posted:

what kind of haircut roof u want?

just gently caress my poo poo up

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slim Pickens posted:

If I were looking at buying a house and drove up and saw that roof, I would just keep on going. I could never rest easy, looking at that abomination every day.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

:vince:

outstanding

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

:ck5:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Holy poo poo.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

:perfect:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ok, I'll be the weirdo: I kind of like it; it's sort of artistically jaunty while still being a functional roof. I wouldn't pick it myself, and I'm sure there are horror stories in the construction, but I can't hate it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Door, meet ineffectual doorstop:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nsfw that poo poo, drat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nsfw that poo poo, drat.

Drywall goatse.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Goatsum

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

:five:

This thread has been my favorite as of late

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:vince: I'm loving crying laughing at this

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mycomancy posted:

:vince: I'm loving crying laughing at this

I’m almost embarrassed to say I understand what’s going on, but I pointed out the goatse in the first place...

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

DrBouvenstein posted:

Door, meet ineffectual doorstop:

That's not a construction disaster, it's a modern art homage to Georgia O'Keeffe.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I want to know if it lines up with the lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Help, I'm stuck at my parents house for Christmas, and the front porch cover they're really proud of is garbage. The underside is completely unfinished, raw plywood with the markings visible as well exposed brackets and fasteners. My mom wants me to remove the railing because apparently it's not to code.

Earlier this year, my dad keep talking about how whoever they hired had to keep coming back because he couldn't meet code. I suspect he just skipped town and now they're stuck with garbage.