Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Wait it is? I thought it was a cunnilingus joke.

Nope, that is it. The original sign had the hand in the L-shape with the ahem, crotch of the thumb and forefinger touched to the point of the chin. I doubt the cunnilingus suggestion was intentional, if only because the people who came up with the sign probably had only the vaguest idea of what lesbians actually do in bed. But since it's 2019 and everyone has dirty minds, people have taken to signing it by touching the tip of the forefinger to the chin instead, removing the suggestive aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Selachian posted:

Yeah, it's the letter L on the chin. The sign for "gay" is the same, except with the letter G. This is actually a bit controversial, because signs on the lower half of the face tend to be coded feminine -- "girl/woman," "mother," "aunt," "niece," etc., all use the lower half. So the sign has an unfortunate connotation of being gay as being girly. There have been some attempts to create a different sign for "gay," but they haven't caught on widely yet.

However, this is still better than the old-school sign for "gay," which involved licking the tip of the middle finger and using it to smooth your eyebrows.

So what you're saying is, the masculine version hasn't caught on because it's looking kinda dumb with the finger and the thumb in the shape of an L on your forehead?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
not in the slightest actually but good attempt

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bravo for the best post in the thread though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

supes summarizes the dark multiverse

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Everyone, including the cover artist (and characters) of Who's Who: Update '88 #4 knows Terry Long was a creep

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude's wearing swim briefs, a button up shirt and a sweater.

Killing him off was a mercy.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Vincent posted:

Everyone, including the cover artist (and characters) of Who's Who: Update '88 #4 knows Terry Long was a creep

When Maxwell Lord’s leaning away from you...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vincent posted:

Those Ty Templeton covers are all really beautiful. I love this one too:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Incredible Hulk #5 (1963)

From Beyond the Unknown #7 (1970)

Ms. Marvel #16 (2015)

The Great Lakes Avengers #4 (2017)

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #20 (2017)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Of course Gambit texts in his accent.

Of course he does.

Also I always loved the way Kirby drew Hulk and other monster guys like him. Them big old teeth.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

The Incredible Hulk #5 (1963)

Was this the first and last time Hulk flew commercial?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

Of course Gambit texts in his accent.

Of course he does.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

This is it, the most Gambit picture

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Synthbuttrange posted:

supes summarizes the dark multiverse

Who's responsible for this, because I need to buy them a present.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Who's responsible for this, because I need to buy them a present.

Grant Morrisson

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Given his stance on "darkness" in comics, I imagine Grant's not too happy about how the only way anyone's using the cool multiverse he was asked to build for DC is for the grimdark crap and to kill off the worlds he created.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Given his stance on "darkness" in comics, I imagine Grant's not too happy about how the only way anyone's using the cool multiverse he was asked to build for DC is for the grimdark crap and to kill off the worlds he created.

The writer of We3 has a lot of gaul to call out other comics for being depressing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skwirl posted:

The writer of We3 has a lot of gaul to call out other comics for being depressing.
We3 ended on some positive notes and also the dog had a more complex character arc than the Joker ever has.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

We3 ended on some positive notes and also the dog had a more complex character arc than the Joker ever has.

Bandit is gud.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

More like twee-3.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

He may have a lot of gaul but Grant's just being Frank.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Morrison co-wrote Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt, which is basically showing how Metal fits with every other bit of the Morrison take on the DC Multiverse. You're reading a lot into what's essentially taking the piss. There's also a panel of full-on Bendis ping-pong dialogue.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The first two issues of The Batman's Grave didn't do a lot for me, but #3 was pretty amusing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And Alfred slowly transforms into Woodhouse...

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I was always under the impression that Woodhouse was intended as a take on Alfred, so it's appropriate enough.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Wouldn't Woodhouse also be a reference to P.G. Wodehouse, of "Jeeves and Wooster" fame?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Jeeves isn't a butler tho

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He is a former batman though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
:thunk:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

From King Thor #4

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 19, 2019

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Thor God Cop/ Bad Cop.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
AGAB

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I just want to gently nudge people to remember to cite your panels because a lot of this stuff seems to rule and I want to read it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oop, thats from King Thor #4

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduchess posted:

I just want to gently nudge people to remember to cite your panels because a lot of this stuff seems to rule and I want to read it.

if youre not reading thor already thats on you imo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat, Gor *was* right.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nick fury whispered "acab" into thor's ear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I really do not want to know what crime a "Zeus" code corresponds to.