Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

H2Eau posted:

Do you just not like the game or
???
Let's see, looking at some of the descriptive filenames, looks like we have
Respec button
Camera mod
AI General (lets you hand over control of parts of your army to AI)
Faster camera
No AI popups during interturn
Region trading
Allies not allowed to declare war on your vassals and vice versa
No stupid Old Ones puzzles that you just google the answer to
Better lighting
Better blood
And then a bunch of reskins

How is this objectionable at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
I was only mucking around, if you want accurate elf helmet hair godspeed

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

So I just finished the Huntsmarshall expedition campaign in Vortex and while I did get a short "You won, Yay!" cinematic, the game then continued as usual without any achievement or "Victory" screen popping up. Is this intended, or was I hit by a bug?
I have the exact same problem, I think it's a bug.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vargs posted:

Mod: lordless_retreat.pack
Do we actually still need this one or have they finally fixed that?

I only ask because sometimes I notice armies just disappearing if they've retreated twice due to lightning strike even if they haven't been attacked, and I worry it's because of this mod.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Crotch posted:

Do we actually still need this one or have they finally fixed that?

I only ask because sometimes I notice armies just disappearing if they've retreated twice due to lightning strike even if they haven't been attacked, and I worry it's because of this mod.

They've fixed it as of this patch at least, I saw it today. Killed an elf lord in battle one and attacked the retreated stack again, and can confirm it's fixed because I was confused at them having a "named" spearmen unit with the general star even though we were nowhere near a garrison. Only in the post-battle screen did I realize "oh, there was no lord."

I dunno if it was in earlier and I didn't notice or if it's new, but it's finally fixed.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

I feel like I’ve heard the folks on 3MA talk this out enough to just embrace that naval combat in strategy games is bad in general, except when the dev tries to get “creative” with it and then it’s just an arbitrary abstraction. I’m fine with how they handle ship battles in W2, in that they just say gently caress it, the two armies square off on a low land map and we call it there
Any chance you've got a link or a quick summary off the top of your head for the lazy? I've got a soft spot for naval stuff dating back to Warcraft 2's giant sea turtles armed with torpedoes, and I'm always happy to learn reasons why they're bad.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Clan Eshin makes me wish there was a mod that lets you use his "delete one faction from the game" deal on turn 1-2 as any faction. It would really mix up some games if I could just delete someone like Tyrion or Franz at the start

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I legit loved Rome 2 and Empire naval battles (as well as the oldies like Age of Empires and WC2), so the arguments against them just seemed more like gamers whining to me. Especially since generally the complaints made it obvious they also just sucked at those fights. I mean the armies just fighting on land is better than autoresolve but I still want poo poo like dragonship vs black ark or gunning down orcs with ironclads.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I have about 90 hours in the game so far and have yet to actually finish a long campaign. The conditions are occupying or being militarily allies with like 90% of the map and by the time I can actually accomplish that I’m ready to try a different LL faction combo.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
They can never get the old world thunderbowl balance right, lol. Bretonnia, Empire and Dwarves loving stampede everything in their path and split the entire continent between them every game so far for me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

I legit loved Rome 2 and Empire naval battles (as well as the oldies like Age of Empires and WC2), so the arguments against them just seemed more like gamers whining to me. Especially since generally the complaints made it obvious they also just sucked at those fights. I mean the armies just fighting on land is better than autoresolve but I still want poo poo like dragonship vs black ark or gunning down orcs with ironclads.

Age of Empires navies were just land units moving on a different colour of land.

Making actual good naval battles in TW is a tall order because it requires basically a third game in a game that already juggles two independent, barely-related games.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Still struggling to clear the "does better than auto-resolve" bar with Repanse's first battle. In particular, at a certain point it's like if I stop focusing on my cavalry for a second then a quarter of them die.

I need more specific advice than "Hammer and Anvil". Is there a minimum distance that I need to charge from and disengage to? Should I let the army come to me, or is it a better idea to whittle down the chaff before the lines meet?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Henri and Repanse are wicked strong and can tangle up any non-red threat solo or tear into it together. Repanse has a great point blank aoe debuff skill. You start with one artillery so it's free morale estate to set up as far back as possible and make them come to you. The Squires and Poleaxe are higher tier so the shield peasants should meet the front line clash first and then Repanse, Henri and the higher tier guys should meet just a moment sooner. The cavalry you start with is strong stuff and should be a bit off to the side, charge in and smash 'em with the same timing as the good infantry: chaff takes brunt of enemy charge, good guys arrive very shortly after with their own charge. Brett archers have decent range and shouldn't be directly behind your front line or you'll have no time to react if there is spill over and they'll enter Skirmish dancing and stop shooting to run. Pause to manually target or deactivate fire at will with the artillery once lines meet to avoid firing into your own guys.

From there it is experimentation, having Henri and Repanse and the cavalry rush and snipe the Lord once the lines meet might pay off as much as winning the front line battle with them. You can also recruit some more Errant Knights before you go in, Repanse starts with vows to avoid getting ripped off on upkeep.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I liked naval combat in Empire and Napoleon (mostly Napoleon) though. It’s so satisfying to run your fleet across the T of a column, with broadside after broadside smashing into their lead ship until it’s a smouldering, sinking wreck.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Still struggling to clear the "does better than auto-resolve" bar with Repanse's first battle. In particular, at a certain point it's like if I stop focusing on my cavalry for a second then a quarter of them die.

I need more specific advice than "Hammer and Anvil". Is there a minimum distance that I need to charge from and disengage to? Should I let the army come to me, or is it a better idea to whittle down the chaff before the lines meet?

Their first battle is just tough. In particular you dont have a great answer to the cairn wraiths other than keep them away from your high value stuff. Just fight it out, recruit some troops while you recuperate, and then move on.

Recruiting another lord helps too, I went life prophetess and found awakening of the wood got buffed and actually fucks up clumps of troops pretty well

On a related note, why are brets angry at the tomb kings. They should get along.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
With table top caps I was worried for a bit since I saw some elf dragons.

Then I saw my master on a flying mount, and I take it back. Flying mount is ok for him because of dragons.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Standard hero ball.

E: Basically this

Treb ground targets the ball (alt click)
Archers pew the ball in the back (probably target the balefire cart first)
Horsies and infantry hammer anvil the split advancers.

By the way hero ball works super well up until ~≥ full stacks, at which time the AI seems to get figure out it should mostly ignore the urge the ball up on your single model units, only using 2 or 3 units instead. It used to work even past that until I think a patch last summer.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 18, 2019

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

terrorist ambulance posted:

On a related note, why are brets angry at the tomb kings. They should get along.
Someone told the not-French that TK used to be brown people

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

The Crotch posted:

I swear, warp lightning is the only spell the AI actually knows how to use.

To be fair as a skaven I can confirm its the only spell I use. Its cheap and does a lotta damage.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Their first battle is just tough. In particular you dont have a great answer to the cairn wraiths other than keep them away from your high value stuff. Just fight it out, recruit some troops while you recuperate, and then move on.

You just send Repanse directly into them, let them ball around her and then take out 80% of them with her special.

The first fight was honestly pretty easy

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Repanse campaign rules. Made that stupid desert quite fun! It hit a slog once I started fighting the stupid lizards because Bretonnia has poo poo for cheap/reliable/easy to get anti-large, but by that time I had so many loving farms I could easily support a shitload of grail knights in an anti-dino stack. Spearmen-at-arms are such poo poo for actually killing dudes.

It gets lost in the melee, but it's interesting that there's a very fun game on the market where you use knights and wizards to fight dinosaurs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Recruiting another lord helps too, I went life prophetess and found awakening of the wood got buffed and actually fucks up clumps of troops pretty well

Kings are good, tombs are bad. On doit faire le choix. On l'a fait.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
has anyone played a tomb kings campaign since the release? i wonder how she does under ai control

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

has anyone played a tomb kings campaign since the release? i wonder how she does under ai control

I haven't, but Tomb Kings are such a slow and weak start that I can see her being a real pain in the rear end. Particularly for Arkhan, who has a tough start to begin with. Settra at least has some options on which way to expand.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you want a vision of the future, imagine an ai grail knight running over a human skeleton, forever

And remember that in the lore both of these motherfuckers respawn so it's really forever

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I really recommend Weapons Teams on Walls mod, which lets weapon teams like Vampire Coast Deck Gunners, Skaven Warpfire Throwers, Ratling Guns and Jezzails to be placed on castle walls making them significantly more useful in a siege defense.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
For me Arkhan felt like maybe the least slow of the TK and also maybe the best to fight Repanse (other than mah gurl Khalida getting a steamroll going). Specifically those vamp units seem to be a really solid supplement to the armies while unlocking and building to the big beefy bois. Like slap that building in every province and max out ghouls and bats and they will outperform soooo many skeles until you can get ushabti-bro squads up.

Also wrt Repanse gotta say I’m a little jealous of how well she rocks that haircut. Like super cute, very practical and it never gets dampened by the desert heat.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

There's one particular Tomb Kings character in lore, Prince Apophas, who's basically a lone wolf nobody really trusts or likes (even moreso than Arkhan). He wasn't going to inherit the throne, so he murdered his whole family to take it by force, and immediately was toppled by a popular revolt. They sealed him in a coffin of flesh-eating scarabs that ate everything except the dude's skull, then inscribed a curse on it and threw it into the desert.

Apophas, suffering for eternity in the afterlife, made a deal with Usirian, god of the dead, that he'd be Usirian's personal assassin and, as a side gig, look for a soul equal to his own to have it suffer in his place. Around 1100 years prior to the present day of Warhammer, the Bretonnians were crusading it up in Araby and Apophas showed up and ganked one of their most beloved nobles. The outraged Brets immediately did as one would expect and declared a revenge crusade, and fighting went back and forth for a few centuries as the actual Tomb Kings who weren't literal assassins from the afterlife took great offense to being attacked without provocation. Presumably, there's still bad blood there.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Has anyone had a problem with not getting Eshin clan contracts? Several times the screen has read "Next council contract in o turns' but then next turn it just resets to 2. I'm 34 turns in and have gotten I think four?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

For me Arkhan felt like maybe the least slow of the TK and also maybe the best to fight Repanse (other than mah gurl Khalida getting a steamroll going). Specifically those vamp units seem to be a really solid supplement to the armies while unlocking and building to the big beefy bois. Like slap that building in every province and max out ghouls and bats and they will outperform soooo many skeles until you can get ushabti-bro squads up.

Also wrt Repanse gotta say I’m a little jealous of how well she rocks that haircut. Like super cute, very practical and it never gets dampened by the desert heat.

I like how her advisor is trying to rock the same look but failing

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, the Crypt Ghouls just tore through all of Bretonnia's infantry back when I played Arkhan.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I blew up Altdorf with a doomsphere and now I can’t resettle the ruins. There’s no interaction options given when the cursor is over the site, regardless of whether I have an agent, a lord or indeed nothing selected.

This may be because the enemy lord who was in Altdorf at the moment of its destruction has been converted to a ‘Reikland General of the Empire Hero’ and is stood immobile in the dead centre of the ruins. I can’t interact with him either, nor has he moved at all in the 4 turns since the explosion. He has the icon above his head for a Captain but if you zoom in he does seem to have the General model.

I’m hoping he’ll be removed along with all other agents once I finish off Reikland. It must be a bug but I’m also picturing him as some post-apocalyptic hero fending off all invaders in the ruins of civilisation. Mad Marcus Billings.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not that Skaven needs a rework because they're pretty much the most involved faction, but with Snikch getting his assassin-y dealings and Ikit Claw getting the Workshop, it feels like the original two could stand to get something. A workshop analogue for Moulder whenever they come around, if ever, seems like the most obvious choice for them, and Pestilens just got more reason to really be plaguebearers and lean into that, which is neat. By contrast, Queek is just...Queek. He's there. And that's fine I suppose, but he doesn't seem like he really has an identity.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Does Sniktch have an epilogue to his campaign in Vortex? Because Malus does not, and I think this is the first character that doesn't. His victory buff also appears to only be free elixirs. His campaign kinda does feel like an afterthought, or at least more on par with previous FLCs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Broken Cog posted:

Does Sniktch have an epilogue to his campaign in Vortex? Because Malus does not, and I think this is the first character that doesn't. His victory buff also appears to only be free elixirs. His campaign kinda does feel like an afterthought, or at least more on par with previous FLCs.

Malus's campaign is kind of striking because aside from his unique start position his entire campaign mechanic is basically "what if we just redid Hellebron's thing except way shittier".

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Ravenfood posted:

Not that Skaven needs a rework because they're pretty much the most involved faction, but with Snikch getting his assassin-y dealings and Ikit Claw getting the Workshop, it feels like the original two could stand to get something. A workshop analogue for Moulder whenever they come around, if ever, seems like the most obvious choice for them, and Pestilens just got more reason to really be plaguebearers and lean into that, which is neat. By contrast, Queek is just...Queek. He's there. And that's fine I suppose, but he doesn't seem like he really has an identity.

Well, at the very least he has his little Karak-Eight-Peaks bonus in Mortal Empires. With all the things you have to futz around with and keep track of with Skaven sometimes it's nice having someone without too many frills who just likes to take heads.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Honestly I kinda wish they'd stop beating around the bush, finish off Skaven like they clearly wanna. Than work their way across the factions giving them all the attention they deserve.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Hello thread, i had some lizardmen ME campaign questions (Krog gar).

I'm at level 23 i took mostly blue line skills, do i barrel down the red or the combat buff one now? Do you settle provinces in unsuitable/unpleasant whatever climate or just raze it whenever skaven move in? Finally what are like general must haves for a late game army? I'm on turn 97 now got like 4 provinces, about to go and conquer those islands that malus starts at. Latest patch has really done so much for this games enjoyability.

edit: my current army is just 4 level 20 heroes, bunch of saurus and random blessed dinos and stuff.

canada jezus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 18, 2019

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I've noticed that defending settlements as Skaven is a lot more fun than usual, and I think this might be because it's worth trying to hold the walls, due to the strength of the towers? Are there any mods that maybe make siege defense better like this for other factions too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dartonus posted:

There's one particular Tomb Kings character in lore, Prince Apophas, who's basically a lone wolf nobody really trusts or likes (even moreso than Arkhan). He wasn't going to inherit the throne, so he murdered his whole family to take it by force, and immediately was toppled by a popular revolt. They sealed him in a coffin of flesh-eating scarabs that ate everything except the dude's skull, then inscribed a curse on it and threw it into the desert.

Apophas, suffering for eternity in the afterlife, made a deal with Usirian, god of the dead, that he'd be Usirian's personal assassin and, as a side gig, look for a soul equal to his own to have it suffer in his place. Around 1100 years prior to the present day of Warhammer, the Bretonnians were crusading it up in Araby and Apophas showed up and ganked one of their most beloved nobles. The outraged Brets immediately did as one would expect and declared a revenge crusade, and fighting went back and forth for a few centuries as the actual Tomb Kings who weren't literal assassins from the afterlife took great offense to being attacked without provocation. Presumably, there's still bad blood there.

I would love to see Prince Apophas added into the game as a free-lc the same way Malagor was for the Beastmen