Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Djarum posted:

I am not equating what Trump did as a crime of necessity. It doesn't matter why you are stealing it is a crime.

For example, there's the crime of necessity you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Hastings making a good point that I haven't heard anyone make publicly before: the Ukrainian call notes were placed on a codeword-controlled NSC system. Whether you believe this was a clerical error (lol) or intentional obfuscation of material they recognised as evidence of potential wrongdoing, it loving plants a flag indicating that everything else on that system is potential evidence.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

SubG posted:

Hastings making a good point that I haven't heard anyone make publicly before: the Ukrainian call notes were placed on a codeword-controlled NSC system. Whether you believe this was a clerical error (lol) or intentional obfuscation of material they recognised as evidence of potential wrongdoing, it loving plants a flag indicating that everything else on that system is potential evidence.

Right and since all this broke it's been baffling to me why no one has brought up the server. Is this related to the dems "honing on Ukraine"? Because at this point we don't even have the raw notes from one Ukraine call of multiple, we have the WH version which is almost certainly whitewashed.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

I've been saying ever since that NSC system's existence was revealed that we need to know about everything on it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol this is amazing

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Letter-from-President-Trump-final.pdf

https://twitter.com/abgutman/status/1207019054457851907

You have cheapened the importance of the very ugly word, impeachment!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

We've almost completely lost "truth" and nobody seems willing or able to plant a flag and defend reality anymore.

We are literally being gaslighted. Like, that is the definition of what trump and the republicans are doing, loving with everyone's sense of reality, what is true, and the way things should happen

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
“Liberal law professor Jonathan Turley” lmao

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That guy's question for Collins was, "Does it bother you that the various committees had to work on impeachment and sometimes had to borrow different rooms from each other?"

lol

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
turns out susan collins is still a massive piece of poo poo. Looking more and more like sham trial is on

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ment/ar-BBY5qz7

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

oxsnard posted:

turns out susan collins is still a massive piece of poo poo. Looking more and more like sham trial is on

No surprise there

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dear Editor......

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

oxsnard posted:

Does this assume at any point she wasn't?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Collins throwing a tantrum over intentional misclassification.

Edit: And for anyone not familiar with classification markings, the call log was marked SECRET//ORCON/NOFORN, which means that the highest classification of the information in the document is secret, the originator of the content controls its release, and release to anyone not a US citizen is prohibited (independent of their clearance).

This is all, by itself, weird for a call log of a courtesy call with a foreign leader, and it's particularly strange given that it was stored on a NSC SCI system, which is for codeword-controlled materials. Which this is not.

Double edit: And for comparison, the earlier (21 Apr 2019) call with Zelensky was market UNCLASSIFIED//FOUO (for official use only, the major effect of which is that the contents can't be FOIA'd), which is what you'd expect from something like this.

Triple edit: So Collins is claiming that S//OC/NF is the standard markup for the President's calls. I'd be interested to see data on this.

SubG fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 17, 2019

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
i'm sure all of two people are watching now, but Lesko is bringing up the stupidest side points and getting mega-owned constantly on it and it's great

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1207060214408732673?s=19

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is a huge problem for turtle

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

McConnell is betting that it won't impact Trump's numbers if he doesn't call witnesses. Probably true, even given that 64%, but I can't be sure.

That, and he doesn't want to be blamed when those advisers get up there and embarrass themselves. Maybe they'll even drag a Republican senator down with them. No way McConnell can risk that.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 17, 2019

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Just lol if you think a torrent of crime evidence isn't going to surface over the next year, making the rushed senate trial look worse with every passing day. It's gonna be great

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mary Gay Scanlon is doing a great job making Collins look like a dumbass

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oxsnard posted:

it was always going to be a sham. the questions were how obvious was it gonna be and how much of dumb circus. for example

stuff like this. they will aquit him anyway but it will look really bad. but in some ways doing some obvious "no witness" Rex Non Potest Peccare bullshit looks way way worse. either option doesnt help the in 2020 because the chud base isn't big enough to keep them afloat if a blue wave happens, it probably is happening if not bigger.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Eh, I'm not so sure that opinions will change over time, even if new stuff comes out. McConnell is rushing this to say the matter is done and 90% of the Republican base will believe that. The longer this goes on, the more the 2020 election becomes about Trump and only Trump. And the Republicans lose if that is the case, as shown by 2018.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

lol 64% of republicans are credulous morons. they absolutely believe they would exonerate trump if only the democrats would let them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

InsertPotPun posted:

lol 64% of republicans are credulous morons. they absolutely believe they would exonerate trump if only the democrats would let them.

And in their minds it would, so looked at from a certain way they're kinda right. Not factually right, mind you, but...well...if everyone responsible for imposing punishment says they won't punish you then when you say you're not guilty........

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Glad our big boy president decided to send the corncob email to Pelosi, JFC.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Roluth posted:

McConnell is betting that it won't impact Trump's numbers if he doesn't call witnesses. Probably true, even given that 64%, but I can't be sure.

That, and he doesn't want to be blamed when those advisers get up there and embarrass themselves. Maybe they'll even drag a Republican senator down with them. No way McConnell can risk that.

The problem for Mitch isn't that 64% in and of themselves, his problem is that Trump wants to call witnesses and drag the trail out and make it a spectacle. If Trump sees that poll, he's definitely going to double down and use it as justification that he's right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

The problem for Mitch isn't that 64% in and of themselves, his problem is that Trump wants to call witnesses and drag the trail out and make it a spectacle. If Trump sees that poll, he's definitely going to double down and use it as justification that he's right.

I figured that once the House voted to impeach everything would be pretty much over. We'd get a perfunctory Senate trial with a bunch of predictable speeches before the acquittal and none of it would be worth paying attention to. I really hope Trump gets his way with this; obviously he won't be removed but it'll be a hell of a lot more entertaining.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Collins going for the Aaron Sorkin defence.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

You know how like sometimes you get really pissed at a boss or a coworker and you write an angry, scathing, profanity-laced email to vent your frustrations but you very, very carefully never hit "Send"?

This is what happens when you hit "Send".

That, or it reads like an especially incoherent Letter to the Editor.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Let’s hope so. Trump is always complaining about how in the house he can’t call any of his own witnesses or have his own lawyers. Well if they don’t bother to call any witnesses in the senate I guess he can stop complaining about it! He’ll still complain about it

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Let’s hope so. Trump is always complaining about how in the house he can’t call any of his own witnesses or have his own lawyers. Well if they don’t bother to call any witnesses in the senate I guess he can stop complaining about it! He’ll still complain about it

And he will blame McConnell, despite all of his rear end-kissing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I’d like to bring back “nice meltdown”. I like that catchphrase better.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Happy Impeachment Eve, goons

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe we also consider to temper expectations for fear of curveballs. Hopefully none.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Tomorrow they impeach the motherfucker.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SubG posted:

Collins throwing a tantrum over intentional misclassification.

Edit: And for anyone not familiar with classification markings, the call log was marked SECRET//ORCON/NOFORN, which means that the highest classification of the information in the document is secret, the originator of the content controls its release, and release to anyone not a US citizen is prohibited (independent of their clearance).

This is all, by itself, weird for a call log of a courtesy call with a foreign leader, and it's particularly strange given that it was stored on a NSC SCI system, which is for codeword-controlled materials. Which this is not.

Double edit: And for comparison, the earlier (21 Apr 2019) call with Zelensky was market UNCLASSIFIED//FOUO (for official use only, the major effect of which is that the contents can't be FOIA'd), which is what you'd expect from something like this.

Triple edit: So Collins is claiming that S//OC/NF is the standard markup for the President's calls. I'd be interested to see data on this.
I'll tell you right now that you can't mark information open to foreigners noforn for what should be very obvious reasons.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A Long Time Commin'

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so what happens if he gets impeached but doesn't get convicted?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bowmore posted:

He stays in office and life continues. Exactly the situation with Clinton 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

bowmore posted:

Dems are basically marking him with the scarlet letter of impeachment. It seems so obvious that he won’t be convicted in the Senate, but they feel the need to do this because we are pretty sure we will be finding out awful poo poo for decades to come. No way history looks kindly on Trump, and that is what Dems are banking on.