Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Time to switch topics please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Right, let’s not...derail...the thread. Hue hue hue

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Jesus Willy H. loving Pogosticking CHRIST! I leave the thread for a few hours and what happens? The Browns fans start shitposting. For the love of god, please get it in your skulls that Baltimore has the division now AND is currently #1 seed.

We happy? We good? Good.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

trains

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

can oberst, the ik of this thread, be unprobated so he can ban heretic mind from posting here tia

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
free oberst

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Nah, I still wouldn't want him.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

HereticMIND posted:

Jesus Willy H. loving Pogosticking CHRIST!

Very strange way to spell Baker Mayfield.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

There is no way the Browns don't beat the Ravens. They will simultaneously give the Pats home field, convince Haslim to retain Kitchens another year, and lose five draft spots. Its too Browns not to happen.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sad that thread bad

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

andey

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

HereticMIND posted:

I'm so sorry, Browns fans. You're out of the playoff hunt. You now have to watch the Ravens and Steelers play for another few weeks. If I actually was sorry, I wouldn't be giggling with glee. Oh, how sweet karma does taste indeed.

Karma for what? What have the Browns done to wrong you?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
40-25, scoreboard.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/12/18/21027294/patriots-news-joe-mixon-tom-brady-bengals

I was workshopping a "right in the kisser" joke but nothing tracked.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1207382617575833602

mmmmmm

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Come get me

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/1207344291225444353?s=19

Sorry Lamar, the only coins Baker drops are dimes (perfectly placed footballs into his receiver's dependable hands.)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

He's trolling someone on a model train forum.

He's super into scale model trains

And here I didn't think I could like him more. Wonder if he'd like to hang out and see my G-Scale collection??

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So what are the chances the Browns go after Ron Rivera this off-season?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Lamar holds the record for most TD passes 33 of anyone 22 or younger, beating manning and winston at 28

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Same old Lamar. Me first. Football is a team game. Shameful he's hogging the touchdowns.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I've heard some steelers fans were be hoping the Ravens rest their starters week 17 but I just don't see them doing it. I don't think they'd want to give them a leg up onto the playoffs. Losing to them after letting them in would be the ultimate humiliation. I could see them pulling Lamar early but sitting the whole game? Probably not.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

SlipUp posted:

I've heard some steelers fans were be hoping the Ravens rest their starters week 17 but I just don't see them doing it. I don't think they'd want to give them a leg up onto the playoffs. Losing to them after letting them in would be the ultimate humiliation. I could see them pulling Lamar early but sitting the whole game? Probably not.

Theyll rest starters. Any team thst loses to duck hodges in the playoffs doesnt deserve to be there . If Lamar gets hurt in a meaningless game then the season is over

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also if the steelers knock off thr chiefs thats a win in ravenworld anyway.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Eh, willingly turning it off doesn't mean it's going to just turn back on again and not miss a beat. All those games Peyton took off never helped him in the playoffs.

Not scared of KC. We're on a different level than we were at the beginning of the season. Not saying it's a definite win but it's definitely a different game. I'd rather us sweep the Steelers tbh.

The bank has a decent field, Lamar doesn't take too many hits, and the refs protect the QB a lot more than RG3's day even.

I don't know what the future holds but I hope he's in there for a half and gives us a 2 td lead before getting pulled but I guess I will wait and see if I am proven wrong, or worse, both of us proven right.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

SlipUp posted:

Eh, willingly turning it off doesn't mean it's going to just turn back on again and not miss a beat. All those games Peyton took off never helped him in the playoffs.

Not scared of KC. We're on a different level than we were at the beginning of the season. Not saying it's a definite win but it's definitely a different game. I'd rather us sweep the Steelers tbh.

The bank has a decent field, Lamar doesn't take too many hits, and the refs protect the QB a lot more than RG3's day even.

I don't know what the future holds but I hope he's in there for a half and gives us a 2 td lead before getting pulled but I guess I will wait and see if I am proven wrong, or worse, both of us proven right.

Im not scared of loving Pitt and the worst case scenario isnt losing to them in the playoffs its loving losing lamar in a pointless game.

Also congrats being the only person on earth who isnt scared of Patrick (Could literally throw a TD on any play) Mahomes.

Despera fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 19, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i am not scared of tds. I love them

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I'm more afraid of Duck Hodges than Patrick Mahomes and would put my quarterback at injury risk to make sure I face Patrick Mahomes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That's weird as hell

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
How would #3 KC play Baltimore in the divisional exactly?

The Ravens would play Bills or Texans/Titans.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 19, 2019

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

quote:

There are urban myths, these stories of legend passed on by word of mouth. Some assume these allegories to be credible, but when confronted with providing details, it proves difficult.

But sometimes, the tales are true. There are real ghosts and true horror stories. We’re not talking about actual poltergeists and apparitions, we’re talking about decisions that can haunt NFL teams.

We’re talking about the playoff success of teams that sit star players in the final week of the regular season to avoid injury, only to suffer a quick playoff ouster — more specifically, those teams that have a bye for the first week of the postseason.
Going back to 2005, teams that have a first-round bye and choose to play it safe by benching starters in Week 17 have not fared well in their first playoff game.

As the criteria for this study, we needed to establish a line of demarcation between “full-go” and “no-go.” We considered as “no-go” teams that benched quarterbacks in Week 17, pulled them early before the outcome was determined or allowed their backup more pass attempts.
Essentially, we were looking for teams that used Week 17 as a bye, then enjoyed an actual bye before returning to full-go in the divisional round. The latest example is the Steelers this year, who sat Ben Roethlisberger, and others, in Week 17 before a first-round bye, and who were beaten at home by the Jaguars on Sunday.

The study counts teams that played their QBs but reined in the playbook or sat other stars as “full-go,” and teams that benched stars other than the QB as “full-go.” So in essence, this is a best-case scenario for the no-go crowd.

We found teams have gone “no-go” 20 times since 2005, and those teams went 8-12 in the divisional round, which includes the Steelers’ loss Sunday.

A mark of 8-12 in the divisional playoffs might not represent the same thing as an 8-12 over the course of 20 regular-season games, but consider those teams that went 8-12 had a combined regular-season record in their respective years of 244-60 (.803). Or consider the teams that they faced had a combined mark of 191-112-1 (.629). That means, using a rough estimate, those bye-week teams should have been something closer to 11-9.

But wait, there’s more. Bye-week teams that did not rest QBs in Week 17 went 25-8 (.758) in the same span. Teams that sat players appeared in five Super Bowls, going 2-3 – the champions being the 2009 Saints and 2014 Patriots. Teams that did not mail it in went to 12 Super Bowls, going 4-8.

The only “no-go” team to beat a “full-go” team in the Super Bowl was the Patriots win over the Seahawks in XLIX – which, of course, required multiple injuries in Seattle’s secondary and a much-maligned call at the goal line. The Saints’ “no-go” title was won against a fellow “no-go” Colts squad.

For every individual game, there likely are dozens of explanations for why a particular team lost before stumbling upon possible rust from extended time off as the reason, and virtually all the alternative justifications have value. But when faced with the startling correlation and wide difference in success rate, can such a factor be ignored?
And consider one more thing: How many players have been injured in Week 17 on playoff-bound teams? Surely there have been some, but none jump to mind. If this were a bankable trend, certainly there would be accessible online lists or a catalog of such injuries. Suffice it to say, those injuries seem rare enough to warrant the question: Is mailing in Week 17 to avoid injury worth the risk of quick elimination?

The Steelers learned that hard lesson in Sunday’s loss to the Jaguars. Was it the reason the Steelers lost? No, giving up 45 points to a Blake Bortles-led offense is why. But recent history shows, taking an extra bye week certainly didn’t help.

Ya'll are banking too hard on conventional conservative wisdom. The stats simply do not agree with you.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty small sample size.

I want the starters to play, because best case scenario we only have five games left to watch Lamar and I don’t wanna waste one on RG3. But losing a starter due to injury would be much worse.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

AndrewP posted:

Pretty small sample size.

That is fair enough, but what we do have is pretty conclusive. The football gods do not like being trifled with.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

SlipUp posted:

How would #3 KC play Baltimore in the divisional exactly?

The Ravens would play Bills or Texans/Titans.

You trust the Pats to do what they couldnt do a week ago? That offense is bad

Also no reason the steelers wont be dirty as gently caress in week 17. After losing Fat Rapist theyll arent going to feel much sympathy towards our quarterback woes.

Despera fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 19, 2019

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

I hope the Steelers never win again, and Ben gets nailed for a rape he committed so hard and undeniably that the Rooney family retroactively give back every super bowl they ever won. Then they burn down Heinz field, salt the earth, and erase all history of the team ever existing.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The Steelers loving own

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

SlipUp posted:

I'm not "scared" of KC but they have the best throwing QB in the league probably. And can discombobulate our secondary. I said it in the other thread but both the Ravens and KC have major advantages against the other. They are definitely our biggest threat.

Resting against the Steelers is the right thing to do(assuming we beat the Browns) unless you are 15-0, which we sadly aren't.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Hate Ben though go away please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I hope the Steelers never win again, and Ben gets nailed for a rape he committed so hard and undeniably that the Rooney family retroactively give back every super bowl they ever won. Then they burn down Heinz field, salt the earth, and erase all history of the team ever existing.

Agreed. Well they can leave the pre-1970 history in tact lol. Except any time they lucked into a win over the Brown's, it should be reversed to a loss and the Browns credited with the win.