Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

King of Solomon posted:

It's less that people started picking up on the weird quirks of Falcom's dialogue and more that XSEED always removed that stuff for the exact reasons people complain about it.

Hatsuu made the mistake of covering up their sins for so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

King of Solomon posted:

It's less that people started picking up on the weird quirks of Falcom's dialogue and more that XSEED always removed that stuff for the exact reasons people complain about it.

HmmmHmmmHmmm was something people commented on in Sky FC. XSeed didn't remove it until Brittany gave the script an overhaul much later.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Erpy posted:

HmmmHmmmHmmm was something people commented on in Sky FC. XSeed didn't remove it until Brittany gave the script an overhaul much later.

I must have played it after the overhaul, I don't think I noticed that in the game.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

King of Solomon posted:

I must have played it after the overhaul, I don't think I noticed that in the game.

It was Scherazard's default laugh back then and she used it more frequently than the word "booze/alcohol/beer".

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Seriously??? I paid full price for the PS4 version even though I don't have the console yet because I assumed they wouldn't do this!

Fools! FOOLS! Ain't nobody need no PS4!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, this vastly reduces my need for a PS4, since I already have a Switch.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

putting it out on switch before pc smh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

there's a weird portion of cs3's midgame where rean starts like every dialogue line with "haha"

he cuts back on it eventually but it makes that part of the game torture once you notice it

(he does it a different time also but the characters explicitly point out that that's because he's not actually paying attention because he's worried about elise)

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Is it as bad as the constant chortles in Tokyo Xanadu

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Yinlock posted:

there's a weird portion of cs3's midgame where rean starts like every dialogue line with "haha"

he cuts back on it eventually but it makes that part of the game torture once you notice it

(he does it a different time also but the characters explicitly point out that that's because he's not actually paying attention because he's worried about elise)
I definitely noticed this to a degree even in CS1 and CS2, but it was way more noticeable in CS3.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So "haha" in Falcom games is like the word "Clench" in speculative fiction novels. Once you notice how staggeringly often it's used, you can never unnotice it. At any rate, this is my curse, and I'm sharing it with all of you so that you are cursed for pointing out the Falcom giggle.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Veryslightlymad posted:

So "haha" in Falcom games is like the word "Clench" in speculative fiction novels. Once you notice how staggeringly often it's used, you can never unnotice it. At any rate, this is my curse, and I'm sharing it with all of you so that you are cursed for pointing out the Falcom giggle.

I doubt it's the only tic that's in there. Try to play CS2 and take a swig for every cutscene where the phrase "got this far" is uttered. You'll be drunk before the night is over.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Time to stop holding back

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
someone on the localization team for YS VIII really needed to have the word "psyches" evicted from their brain

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ys (upd)8: this game loses its momentum pretty badly in the final act. it's great when you're just pushing into the island trying to scrape up what's left of your crew and get home, but when the more fantastical world-saving fare takes center stage it's way more tiresome than this series' usual, in part because VIII is so much longer than the others and also because the stakes are ridiculously high, to the point where it kind of deflates the conflicts in the rest of the series. adol was probably rolling his eyes in Ys VII - where's the thrill in saving just one country when you're fresh from snuffing out a worldwide phenomenon that's ended multiple epochs of civilization?

dana herself is also getting on my nerves, because while she's a decent character she eventually starts to deliver all her lines in the same tone of breathless desperation and it's like a nail file against my brain

big props for hummel's character in general though, he's one of the best takes on the "aloof loner with a heart of gold" archetype i've seen

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

someone on the localization team for YS VIII really needed to have the word "psyches" evicted from their brain

It's better than what it was, when that term was originally <notion>. Notion, notion, notion...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SettingSun posted:

It's better than what it was, when that term was originally <notion>. Notion, notion, notion...

eugh

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Yeah, it was actually just incomprehensible before. That's probably the one reason I'd want to give it a replay, just to find out what the gently caress the plot in that section of the game actually was.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also, this is more of a personal thing, but the final act essentially being the totally non-hostile "villainous" faction politely informing the party that their intransigence is going to doom the ecosystem of the entire planet and the party going "naw, we'll figure something out because humans are so gosh darn special" leaves a bitter taste

i know it's bog-standard jrpg optimism but it's ageing more poorly by the day

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I have just started Cold Steel III and having got to the minigames, suddenly really want a Falcom crossover fishing game built around an extension of the CS3 mechanics. That is all.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm at the end of chapter 4 in Cold Steel 3 and gently caress your big black dragon rear end holy jumping aidos. And gently caress the "teehee I got two turns in a row just to gently caress you over" AI. And gently caress the amount of self-healing bullshit that goes on often with the two turns in a row for no reason no matter how I build my guys. Still think CS1 has had the best pacing of anything, sure prefer this over CS2 but it's kinda off. Sure like it a lot though. I know the ending of CS3 made people go WTF but how did those people react to CS1's ending which I thought was perfect?

Back to the grind

e: ok ch4 boss beat, did that happen because the spysaquad walked in there by accident? I can already taste the not-learning-much ending.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 17, 2019

Belan
May 7, 2007
Just finished Zero. I should've played this sooner. The currently available translation was a little clunky but perfectly understandable. Estelle: "Caught you." :cry:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i haven't finished ao or CS3 yet so maybe those get better, but i felt zero was the best written trails game even through the rough translation

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The more I think about it the more I think that CS3 should have leaned more into the Sky FC side of things. Part of the big disconnect I have with it is the dissonance of it trying to play up "THINGS MATTER. I wonder how many of them will even come back alive?" with the format of the chapters being obviously known to be inconsequential to the player and not the characters. If they had just had the entire game be Rean as a teacher solving minor-ish problems like Sky FC with his class I think the pace of it would have worked better. Yes that ultimately might have meant no Oroboros for most of it but I think it could have made for a stronger overall narrative with more patience for the chapter-to-chapter events.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Belan posted:

Just finished Zero. I should've played this sooner. The currently available translation was a little clunky but perfectly understandable. Estelle: "Caught you." :cry:

No offense to your choice here or anything, but... the good translation is, like, a month away. If that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The translation has been "Near" for like over a year at this point

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Nate RFB posted:

Part of the big disconnect I have with it is the dissonance of it trying to play up "THINGS MATTER. I wonder how many of them will even come back alive?" with the format of the chapters being obviously known to be inconsequential to the player and not the characters.

Without seeing anything of CS 3, I'm going to just go ahead and predict "all of them", because this series leans pretty heavily towards the optimistic side. One fear I have about CS 3/4 is that it might have a NEGATIVE death count.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cold Steel shouldn't have had any ouroboros ties until maybe the end of the 2nd game. Yes, that means less Duvalie and therefore a shittier game but it also would have potentially meant less meaningless fights so therefore a better experience.

Edit: Cold Steel feels like the most "Who's Line Is It Anyway" entries of the franchise. The power levels are made up and the fights don't matter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Ouroboros' usage in CS2 is fairly appropriate given the events of that game, but they're extremely wasted in CS3 other than to remind you that yes, they still do exist.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nate RFB posted:

I think Ouroboros' usage in CS2 is fairly appropriate given the events of that game, but they're extremely wasted in CS3 other than to remind you that yes, they still do exist.

Should've just had Duvalie join class VII and no other mention, imo.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Can someone change the thread title when the Zero translation is out? I am always scared of spoilers in this thread.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Which game lets me romance Aurelia?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You want an out there speculation?

Andre (the weird fiddler) is the Fourth Anguis of Ouroboros. I am absolutely right about this.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

news from falcom:

Zero and Ao getting Kai rereleases, spring 2020, presumably PS4. so we've got a new opportunity for an official English release i guess.

Hajimari no Kiseki (new game after cold steel) releases in summer 2020

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

news from falcom:

Zero and Ao getting Kai rereleases, spring 2020, presumably PS4. so we've got a new opportunity for an official English release i guess.

Hajimari no Kiseki (new game after cold steel) releases in summer 2020

https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1207163844570886144

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Put Zero and Ao Kai on the Switch Falcom/Nintendo you cowards submit reply

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1207180447542849536?s=19

50 playable characters.... sounds like another Sky Third type anthology game as we suspected but with the now much bigger full trails cast

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How on earth are they going to manage that without it being either completely overwhelming for the player or leaving a lot of the characters out of focus (or both!!)

And I'm just thinking about gameplay here, not writing troubles. They can't possibly come up with 50 unique niches for characters.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i doubt you'll be choosing a party of 4 from a pool of 50, it'll be a revolving door of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

How on earth are they going to manage that without it being either completely overwhelming for the player or leaving a lot of the characters out of focus (or both!!)

And I'm just thinking about gameplay here, not writing troubles. They can't possibly come up with 50 unique niches for characters.

They don't need to be unique if there's 3 different parties. Plus if there's 'episodes' you have to imagine there'll be stuff like Sky 3 where you spent an hour playing as the freaking Ravens.