Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Iger really hosed it from the outset by not allowing JJ the time to craft a film from the ground up, forcing him to make a rushed and incomplete film with no intended answers to its mysteries, no larger vision, that had to use nostalgia as a constant crutch, and that had to be rewritten in the editing room. All for the sake of Bob's quarterly profits.

Kennedy's choice to not have an overall vision for the trilogy was dumb, but I can see how it would be well-meaning. If they intended from the start to have different interesting filmmakers tackle an entry of the trilogy, I can see there being a noble intention of being filmmaker-driven movies. But in a series that thus far had been driven by a singular driving creative force it was very clearly the wrong move. Hiring Trevorrow was her biggest fuckup with the whole trilogy, having to actively ignore how poor his previous output was—assuming she was behind the decision and it wasn't dictated by Iger with Jurassic World dollars in his eyes.

JJ just did JJ. The first film he made a propulsive but empty nostalgia film, which is exactly what his filmmaking history would imply he'd do. The third film he's apparently made a convoluted mess of an ending, which is exactly what his filmmaking history would imply he'd do. He was dumb to come back for the reported mess of the third entry, especially if he went in planning to poo poo all over TLJ, but I understand why he did it after Kennedy and crew were desperate for someone to pick up after Trevorrow didn't pan out. And once again, his hands were tied by timeline, having to pick up the scraps of somebody else's script (and, likely, action sequences from the in-progress previs) for a second time. I doubt he would've had the ability to craft his own full vision for the entry even if he'd had one.

I would've killed for Rian to finish out the trilogy but I totally understand that the complexities of franchise filmmaking probably wouldn't have allowed for it from a timeline perspective. But seeing a film where the Resistance goes after the military industrial complex and the capitalist infrastructure to take down the First Order in a deeper and more meaningful way, ultimately creating a more peaceful galaxy for generations to come would've been a whole loving lot more interesting than Palpatine coming back with a... fleet of star destroyers, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Does this mean a remake of the Star Wars Holiday Special is now on the cards?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Favreau has gone on record saying he wants to do it and has ideas.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm torn on "The dead speak!"

On the one hand it's a brazenly corny opening worthy of Lucas, on the other ha d why the hell wouldn't you open with "the galaxy hears some mysterious signal" and then have the Palpatine reveal as an early scene for characters to react to?

I mean, I know why. It's because this wasn't the original plan anyway. But it's a waste.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

YaketySass posted:

I'm torn on "The dead speak!"

On the one hand it's a brazenly corny opening worthy of Lucas, on the other ha d why the hell wouldn't you open with "the galaxy hears some mysterious signal" and then have the Palpatine reveal as an early scene for characters to react to?

I mean, I know why. It's because this wasn't the original plan anyway. But it's a waste.

The writing is great and on point style.

Unfortunately, like all the cool poo poo in their god forsaken trilogy, it’s used to do the dumbest thing possible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Everything interesting in this trilogy happens off-screen.

"The dead speak!" rules, but much like everything else in the JJ films, it's just a riff on a better idea of George Lucas', Revenge of the Sith's "War!"

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The insane cowardice of two films in a row backpedaling on each other is the real nail in the coffin. The prequels has some dumb poo poo sprinkled in them but Lucas committed to his vision and his ideas.

“This will begin to set things right” is starting these films out with both hubris and cowardice and ultimately the inability to commit to saying. Or showing anything killed this series. There’s bits of cool poo poo but it’s kind of astounding that these films will be remembered as the films that made people appreciate Episode 1.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

JJ and Treverow were hired because Spielberg vetted them and are part of his Hollywood circle, and Kennedy has been working for and with Spielberg since the 80's. They all pals, that's how this poo poo works.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Just saw it and even though I had vaguely hoped the leaks were fake, well...

I'm more irritated by the horrid pacing and whiplash inducing cuts. That movie had no time to breathe and I feel like I've already forgotten 75% of what happened, which is how I felt about Rogue One.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

parara posted:

Just saw it and even though I had vaguely hoped the leaks were fake, well...

I'm more irritated by the horrid pacing and whiplash inducing cuts. That movie had no time to breathe and I feel like I've already forgotten 75% of what happened, which is how I felt about Rogue One.

Is it “walk out of the theater” bad or just normal corporate Hollywood bad ?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no, oh my god. That RT score is so much worse than I thought it would be.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Written by committee bad. Say what you will about TLJ, but at least that had personality.

I wouldn't say it's walk out of theater bad, but I was vaguely tempted the first thirty minutes because it was cutting to different locations every minute or so and had no idea what the hell I was supposed to pay attention to anymore. Really awkward editing all around!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grim

God drat it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if you showed this to me out of context i'd assume it was an old married couple

parara
Apr 9, 2010

My theater postively GROANED at this, I think everyone (including me) was still rooting for Finn. :allears:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

lmao i know it's a cell phone photo but why does this just look so weird already?

edit: It reminds me of the end of some old people pill commercial.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

(The way this film handles the unfairly maligned Last Jedi character played by Kelly Marie Tran—which is to say, by completely sidelining her for this last outing—feels like a bad concession to bad people.)

Oof.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i honestly thought it was too stupid for them to do but nope

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SyRauk posted:

lmao i know it's a cell phone photo but why does this just look so weird already?

edit: It reminds me of the end of some old people pill commercial.

It looks like a low tier Christian devotional painting

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
what is up with luke's HAIR

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hahahaha

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
clip of rey vs palpatine and killing him lmao

i am all the sith

i am all the JEDI

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

:laffo:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

euphronius posted:

It looks like a low tier Christian devotional painting

Oh my god, it does. It looks like my grandma would hang it over her bed.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

OctoberCountry posted:

lmao Abrams is such a loving hack

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

very cool

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

The fact that Carrie Fischer is in fact dead and this was created after her death makes it extra weird. It's like seeing an actual ghost.

I had tickets for tonight's showing but I cancelled them because I couldn't quite make it in the end. I can't say I really regret it though. It's more of a relief.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
by the way, according to the new kylo ren comic, the sequence of events that fateful night was

kylo brings the hut down on luke
the jedi temple explodes into an inferno (?????????)
ren tries to save the other padawans from the fire
the padawans attack ren and chase him when he flees off the planet

lmao

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thanks for the laugh. Now does this mean Palps is really really really dead?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lmao at everything

star wars is good, friends

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks for the laugh. Now does this mean Palps is really really really dead?

not really no. if he can survive his first death he can survive anything

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I have friends who have intentionally stayed completely in the dark about this movie from day 1. They are going to be so confused by Palpatine being back from the start and so disappointed in how this turns out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Star Wars is finally over.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
HahahahahaHahahahHa gasp. HahahahahAhahHh

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

That won't load for me, but somehow it's up on YouTube for now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qAdI3nMQlk

If only Luke had used TWO lightsabers he could've defeated the Emperor, that failure!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my God this all owns. RT is up to 61% though

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
this has been the best christmas present ever and i'm glad that we can all come together in the spirit of the holidays to celebrate the death of star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

It was some time since I saw Wars in the Stars movies, but does Leia wear that robe outside of original film? Or is this just for pure nostalgia overload?