Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

sellouts posted:

You’re welcome It’s easy and you could literally do it while boarding the aircraft and it’ll be approved by the time you land.

For some reason mine wasn't auto-approved and I had to call then wait 48 hours for them to push it through so I wouldn't literally do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I had to fly to Canada from Denver last year and they wouldn’t let me check in until I’d gotten a visa I had no idea I even needed, as a UK citizen. I crossed the land border multiple times that January as I was staying in Windsor for the Detroit auto show, but apparently the visa only applies to enter by air, which is just weird.

Anyway it cost $7 and took about 10 min to be approved after applying online.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ixian posted:

Yeah, I'm heading to Sydney for NYE next week and my visa was approved in about 30 minutes. The only one easier is New Zealand.

I doubt they'd let you board, last time I went they did a passport scan/check to confirm the e-visa was in place. Airlines get stuck with having to fly people back if they get denied entry so most of them are pretty on top of it.

They typically won’t even let you check in. Part of checking your passport at the counter is verifying a valid visa, for the reason you describe.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ixian posted:

Yeah, I'm heading to Sydney for NYE next week and my visa was approved in about 30 minutes. The only one easier is New Zealand.

I doubt they'd let you board, last time I went they did a passport scan/check to confirm the e-visa was in place. Airlines get stuck with having to fly people back if they get denied entry so most of them are pretty on top of it.

Arzakon posted:

For some reason mine wasn't auto-approved and I had to call then wait 48 hours for them to push it through so I wouldn't literally do this.

Yes of course don’t literally do this. My point was it’s about 30minutes, about the time it takes to board the aircraft.

Don’t be an idiot when you travel, do your research, find documentation and start on it early. You’re dealing with governments. I can’t believe I have to say this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Yes of course don’t literally do this. My point was it’s about 30minutes, about the time it takes to board the aircraft.

Don’t be an idiot when you travel, do your research, find documentation and start on it early. You’re dealing with governments. I can’t believe I have to say this.

Hence my point about occasional leisure travel getting messed up! :mcnally:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

thank god no one was hosed in half

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

thank god no one was hosed in half

But enough about your Friday night.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Huh, Hyatt gave me a free night for staying at "Five different Hyatt brands." Is that new? Kind of nice.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Apparently they handed out executive platinum on AA to a few globalists recently. I really wish their footprint was bigger.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
I've booked my own travel for the last five years (probably 75+ trips) and I finally let the office manager book the flight for CES this year and I get booked into Basic Economy, nice

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Apparently they handed out executive platinum on AA to a few globalists recently. I really wish their footprint was bigger.

I'm genuinely not sure if "globalist" is the name of some kind of AA rewards program or if there's some kind of "Jews travel too much" dog whistle going around.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

I'm genuinely not sure if "globalist" is the name of some kind of AA rewards program or if there's some kind of "Jews travel too much" dog whistle going around.

This is a really weird post. Globalist is the Hyatt reward program.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Midjack posted:

This is a really weird post. Globalist is the Hyatt reward program.

Seconded

:tinfoil:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KillHour posted:

Jfc dude

Hyatt is offering selective Globalists automatic AA Executive Platinum status

Take a break from the internet and/or news.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hyatt seriously calls their rewards program that?

I think I've been reading too much of the USPOL thread.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KillHour posted:

Hyatt seriously calls their rewards program that?

I think I've been reading too much of the USPOL thread.

Hyatt's reward program is called World of Hyatt. The status tiers are Discoverist, Explorist, and Globalist.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Space Gopher posted:

Hyatt's reward program is called World of Hyatt. The status tiers are Discoverist, Explorist, and Globalist.

lmao is this real

this is even better than Flying Orchid

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s easier than ever to be gifted exec plat now, kinda wild.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I have 620k skymiles. Is there any good use of these that’s especially intriguing? I suppose I could just buy the occasional flight for myself but rarely do I ever see flights that even reach the 1 penny per mile value so I just pay myself. I’ve been using them for some guaranteed upgrades but I’m diamond with like 180k mqm and the reserve card so I almost always get upgraded anyway.

I wish I could just cash them out tbh

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Vomik posted:

I have 620k skymiles. Is there any good use of these that’s especially intriguing? I suppose I could just buy the occasional flight for myself but rarely do I ever see flights that even reach the 1 penny per mile value so I just pay myself. I’ve been using them for some guaranteed upgrades but I’m diamond with like 180k mqm and the reserve card so I almost always get upgraded anyway.

https://marketplace.delta.com/b2r/ui/index#!/landing

edit: you can also book "Experiences" or something like that but I can't attest to value per mile vs. using them to book flights https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/how-to-use-miles/overview

edit also: if you're not sure about a Christmas gift you can also gift miles or turn them into gift cards if you have friends or family that like to travel

torb main fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 17, 2019

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Space Gopher posted:

Some other hotel chain's rewards program is called "bonvoy" which sounds dumb and makes me surprisingly mad.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Re: the discussion regarding "Globalist" my friends and I had a big discussion about this when it came out that they had made this choice - agreed it's not a great look.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Some other hotel chain's rewards program is called "bonvoy" which sounds dumb and makes me surprisingly mad.

The Marriot program. If they were going to name it that they could have had some sweet jingles, but nope: https://youtu.be/Sd5ZLJWQmss

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Re: the discussion regarding "Globalist" my friends and I had a big discussion about this when it came out that they had made this choice - agreed it's not a great look.

At least they didn't go with Colonizer.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve apparently made enough of an impression that the bar lady at the Ted’s by my hotel is giving me free drinks. Please advise.

I also got to fly in one of the new Canadairs this morning. I’m not sure what the deal was but they had to gate check everyone’s carryons. The overheads didn’t look particularly large so I certainly hope that isn’t going to be a trend.

Hot take: 6AM flight > 8AM flight

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Marco Polo club?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

6am flight owns and is always better

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Warbird posted:

I’ve apparently made enough of an impression that the bar lady at the Ted’s by my hotel is giving me free drinks. Please advise.

tip well and drink up

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m a moron at these things, what percentage are we talking for “tipping well” here?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

think how much you would have normally tipped if you’d have been paying for drinks- now double or triple it

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It was a $9 marg and I tipped 8. Dammit.

E - upped it a bit and did the survey thingy. Calling it even.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 17, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vomik posted:

the 1 cpm is just a guideline, i burn miles technically lower than that because what the gently caress is the point of sitting on 800k (for me right now) of inflationary company scrip? valuations go out the window with high mile earners - it makes sense if miles are scarce for you (say you earn ~100k a year) and you are trying to maximize value, but you are not. you should not be.

international business class flights tend to be tolerable value as well, usually above 1 cpm.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I was told to come commiserate with you sickos

Qualifications: I just hit United Gold status not on miles but segments after flying only in H2, kill me now

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the 1 cpm is just a guideline, i burn miles technically lower than that because what the gently caress is the point of sitting on 800k (for me right now) of inflationary company scrip? valuations go out the window with high mile earners - it makes sense if miles are scarce for you (say you earn ~100k a year) and you are trying to maximize value, but you are not. you should not be.

international business class flights tend to be tolerable value as well, usually above 1 cpm.

Yeah, I won't stockpile mine beyond my next vacation. Yeah, I might only get to .8 cpm redemption but getting to go to Paris for free on vacation takes all of the sting out of it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tremek posted:

I was told to come commiserate with you sickos

Qualifications: I just hit United Gold status not on miles but segments after flying only in H2, kill me now

:doit:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I had 1k and at least platinum a couple times this decade but then pared my travel way back for a while. Now I’m back in the saddle, except instead of NYC and Europe it’s Phoenix and Vegas. Bleh

Under United’s new loyalty program changes for next year I would already be at Platinum though, so I guess there’s that. Hopefully fewer credit card status scrubs clogging up the early groups from February onward.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Happy to report my year end numbers this year. Maybe I'll start travelling again someday.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I actually like traveling for work and wouldn't mind more, although travel time is work time for me, I only really work 2-3 days per week. I was idle for a few months earlier this year and it was driving me nuts. I think I'll be idle again for at least most of January and probably going crazy with nothing to do at home all day.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Tab8715 posted:

Here’s my take...

Hilton - The most consistent out of all the brands. I know that no matter where I am that if I book a Embassy Suites or Homewood Suites it’s going to be decent. Prices are pretty fair, the phone app with mobile check-in is awesome especially in large locations because who wants to wait even ten minutes to get a hotel key in 2019.

Marriott - Pretty much everywhere but one Westin or even Courtyard might be completely different than the other. They’re kind of scummy in that they are constantly fighting unions and loving over the average guy. I’m also still bitter over the SPG merger.

Hyatt - Excellent quality and they’ve got a ton of boutique hotels that are kind of quirky but interesting and not too expensive.

IHG - Pretty basic and while there high end properties aren’t that nice they’re still pretty drat good. Not many locations.

The only thing I’ve been unable to determine is the whole reward point system. Supposedly IHG and Hyatt give out of the most upgrades, rewards, etc. but the “point” cost of a hotel room is also variable. YMMV. My ideal goal is to hit maximum status with one brand then do the same with another.
Most of this seems reasonable except the IHG stuff. Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, .etc can be found all over the place, and IHG doesn't really have much of an upgrade policy except at the discretion of the hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IHG is everywhere and tends to be pretty good in Europe (at least Benelux/DE) from what I can tell. France I just stay at local joints.