Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mystes posted:

Who hasn't bought equity in a lesbian or two?

I've got about 22% of my 401k allocated in gay ETFs. I'm sure they have multiple lesbian holdings in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Very nice additions, and nice setup overall. Behringer announcing well priced, powered skiffs (and eurorack modules imminent) means 2020 will be the year I really dive into modular. Already looking into reverse mortgages and/or bank robbery to fund it.

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's two things Americans will never give up or admit are abominations unto the Lord: too-high TVs, fascism, and e-books.

With you on the weird tendency to hang TVs too high in the US (especially over fireplace mantels).

Europeans are definitely better at Fascism than us (not that we aren’t trying).

The ebook one is boggling my mind though. Has the rest of the world really rejected ebooks? I mean, a large format coffee table book with beautiful photographs or a first/special edition of a favorite novel is an objet d’art and justifies a physical copy. Maybe graphic novels too (though an ipad pro is a kickass way to read comics).
But for 95% of books and reading scenarios ebooks are more portable, easier to read in low light (backlit), more comfortable to hold one handed, make it trivial to buy or checkout a book from the library without leaving the house or waiting for shipping, and are easier/better for reading at/in the beach/pool/bathtub (assuming a waterproof e-reader).
As someone who used to haul 6+ books with me for a weeklong vacation, ebooks are rad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've got about 22% of my 401k allocated in gay ETFs. I'm sure they have multiple lesbian holdings in them.
It's cool that in 2019 you can diversify by investing both in ETFs that focus on LGBT-friendly companies and ETFs that focus on biblical values. By next year maybe there will be anti-immigration ETFs.

For content I bought cheap spare wheels and a cassette so I can switch tires on my bike more easily for winter conditions:

etc.

mystes has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Dec 17, 2019

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Lawen posted:

The ebook one is boggling my mind though. Has the rest of the world really rejected ebooks? I mean, a large format coffee table book with beautiful photographs or a first/special edition of a favorite novel is an objet d’art and justifies a physical copy. Maybe graphic novels too (though an ipad pro is a kickass way to read comics).
But for 95% of books and reading scenarios ebooks are more portable, easier to read in low light (backlit), more comfortable to hold one handed, make it trivial to buy or checkout a book from the library without leaving the house or waiting for shipping, and are easier/better for reading at/in the beach/pool/bathtub (assuming a waterproof e-reader).
As someone who used to haul 6+ books with me for a weeklong vacation, ebooks are rad.

Usually people who complain about e-books don't read that seriously in the first place, they just want something to bitch about. People who read seriously usually find ebooks a godsend since you can juggle so many more books and read in so many different places, and surprise surprise! you don't HAVE to give up real books

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mystes posted:

It's cool that in 2019 you can diversify by investing both in ETFs that focus on LGBT-friendly companies and ETFs that focus on biblical values. By next year maybe there will be anti-immigration ETFs.

For content I bought cheap spare wheels and a cassette so I can switch tires on my bike more easily for winter conditions:

etc.

Joking aside, I know EQLT flared out but I thought it was a pretty good idea in theory. I'm sure there are some other ones floating out there though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My kindle paperwhite is loving great and you can pry it from my cold dead asscheecks. Probably my favorite tech gadget overall and ebooks are easily the best format for heavy readers.

Some new cycling clothing

icebreaker merino base layer

cheap jersey but the best one I own, hands down. Really impressed with the quality

Christmas gifts:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a Kindle Oasis and it's not worth the money. The only difference is that it has a "warm light" feature that sucks up battery life. Stick with the Paperwhite and save $100.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mu Zeta posted:

I have a Kindle Oasis and it's not worth the money. The only difference is that it has a "warm light" feature that sucks up battery life. Stick with the Paperwhite and save $100.

I dig the design of the Oasis but I have the $90 basic model that has a light, it’s perfect imo.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Fuuuuuck. For my birthday the other week I treated myself to a number of things (first tattoo, bottle of Suntory Toki whisky, fried chicken and grits, etc.) But this was the big one, and probably the last bunch of filmmaking gear I'll buy for a while.

Of course I'm an idiot and bought a fisheye lens for a crop sensor camera when mine is full-frame, so I have to trade that one in. Gonna test the gimbal out this afternoon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone suggest a Japanese whiskey that's good and likely available in Virginia.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Guilty posted:

Usually people who complain about e-books don't read that seriously in the first place, they just want something to bitch about. People who read seriously usually find ebooks a godsend since you can juggle so many more books and read in so many different places, and surprise surprise! you don't HAVE to give up real books

We share books with our extended family pretty frequently and my wife tears through books. e-books don't work well for our scenario. I also typically buy my books used for a few bucks cheaper, but if it's something that only I am going to be reading then I grab a kindle copy. We also get gifts of books, which isn't as fun when it's a wrapped up gift card for one.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Instead you should pick up a bottle of Virginia highland port finished

It's absolutely lovely for the 60 you spend.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought a coffee and folks, let me tell you, it was extremely average.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

For whatever reason I find ebooks harder to focus on and I read a lot less when I used one. Now I'm back to reading real books that I put in the local community library when I'm finished with them.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Rageaholic posted:

Whoops :ohdear: Look what I just got:

Polk Audio PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer

It took some messing with receiver settings, and hell, I might need to do some more, but it's nice and bassy and I'm enjoying it! I previously had 2 floorstanding speakers with no sub, so this feels like something I've been missing out on for a while.

That's the exact same model that came with the rest of my Craigslist speakers! It's a solid sub. I was using a PSW8 with my old speakers. The 10" runs out of breath a little in a big room. I hooked the 8" up and put it on the other side of the couch. Got plenty of bass now :)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Someone suggest a Japanese whiskey that's good and likely available in Virginia.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441478

There are many wonders to behold there

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Keep your eye out for Yamazaki 12 or Nikka Coffey Malt.

edit:
Holy poo poo, when did Yamazaki start getting priced like this? I used to buy bottles of the 12 year for like $50.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Dec 18, 2019

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Mu Zeta posted:

Gonna hard disagree, I had the Voyage and traded it in to Amazon to get the new Oasis and the warm light was the reason (when I bought the Voyage nothing had a warm light). I also primarily read one handed so the Oasis has that going for me as well. I also haven't noticed any big difference in battery life and I keep the warm setting cranked up (but with the auto adjusting light).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Saw the post before the username, was not disappointed

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Keep your eye out for Yamazaki 12 or Nikka Coffey Malt.

edit:
Holy poo poo, when did Yamazaki start getting priced like this? I used to buy bottles of the 12 year for like $50.

All scotch has shot up in price due to trends, but Yamazaki in particular won an award for another expression and the price across the board more than doubled overnight. It's crazytown and not worth the price.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wish people would go back to drinking lovely flavored vodkas or something so whiskey prices can go back to normal.

I'm gonna blame this one on hipsters and bartenders that wear vests.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like my lesbians actively managed.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pick posted:

I like my lesbians actively managed.

And when they get out of line, coax them into the pool and delete the ladder.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone remember that Blade Runner adventure game that was completely lost to the ether?

GOG.com has it and OH BOY.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wish people would go back to drinking lovely flavored vodkas or something so whiskey prices can go back to normal.

:corsair:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone remember that Blade Runner adventure game that was completely lost to the ether?

GOG.com has it and OH BOY.

Westwood was so good

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mister Speaker posted:

Fuuuuuck. For my birthday the other week I treated myself to a number of things (first tattoo, bottle of Suntory Toki whisky, fried chicken and grits, etc.) But this was the big one, and probably the last bunch of filmmaking gear I'll buy for a while.

Of course I'm an idiot and bought a fisheye lens for a crop sensor camera when mine is full-frame, so I have to trade that one in. Gonna test the gimbal out this afternoon.

Hell yeah, I'm jealous. Word of advice from a Smooth Q owner, pick up a monopod to go with it. Easier to control AND you can get some really neat shots. What kind of camera do you use?

Pastry of the Year posted:

And when they get out of line, coax them into the pool and delete the ladder.

This is why I give them swords

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Mu Zeta posted:

They come up refurbished on the amazon site for a lot less pretty often and that’s how I got my oasis. It’s... not really worth full retail, but it’s loving great at a discount.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Coffee And Pie posted:

Word of advice from a Smooth Q owner, pick up a monopod to go with it. Easier to control AND you can get some really neat shots.

I'm not sure I follow, like a standard monopod to plant it on the ground? I have one for the camera, is it compatible with the screw that attached the base of the gimbal? Why would I use a monopod, isn't a gimbal fundamentally just for stabilizing moving shots?

Camera is a Nikon Z6. I've got the Nikkor 24-70mm f/4 attached here, but I've also got a 50mm f/1.8, a 70-300mm telephoto F-mount of some kind (it's my Mom's) and you can see in the pic I got that 8mm cine fisheye, but I'm going to return it because I mistakenly bought one for a crop sensor because I'm a gigantic dumbass. You can see the 24-70 and the zoom motor, Rotolight, Rode shotgun mic and Atomos Ninja V recorder/monitor attached here via a SmallRig... it shouldn't be too heavy but it was REALLY hard to balance the gimbal and I was getting some overheat messages... This is going to be quite the learning experience.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Coffee And Pie posted:

My lesbians bought a house and I couldn't afford to fly down for their housewarming so I bought them matching swords.

I hope this becomes A Thing.

As in:

'Hey, did you remember that Mary and Beth moved in today?'
'Dammit! Where am I going to get a pair of swords at this hour?'

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lawen posted:

Those are very nice aspects. Now, if the things existed they might sell.

Guilty posted:

:lol: e-book Stymie has logged on.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nikka Coffey malt is okay for the money.
Most Japanese whiskeys are no longer worth it (and I say this with a collection of yamazaki/hibiki etc which I bought back in the day)
Their age statement stuff ran out and as a result prices went stratospheric. I remember buying Yamazaki 12 in the supermarket for 30 quid. Now it’s 120. It’s a 50 quid dram at best imo.

You could look at some Taiwanese stuff instead imo. I like a lot of the kavalan soloist stuff and I really rate the Omar bourbon cask stuff too. Interesting, non scotch and a fraction of the price for the quality.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Re: SUPREME everyone here in China wears knockoff brand stuff. You see SUPEEME and every other variation every day.

I bought a Sigma 14mm f1.8 lens:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bape Culture posted:

You could look at some Taiwanese stuff instead imo. I like a lot of the kavalan soloist stuff and I really rate the Omar bourbon cask stuff too. Interesting, non scotch and a fraction of the price for the quality.

This is good advice, Tiawanese whiskey is good bang for buck right now. Also worth trying is Legent, a collaboration between Fred Noe of Jim Beam and Shinji Fukuyo of Suntory; it’s a bourbon blended somewhat like a Japanese whisky and partially finished in wine and sherry casks. It’s not a steal at $60/bottle but worth checking out.

or just abandon all other whiskeys and stock up on Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition Style bourbon; I’m really liking it - first whisky I’ve ordered a case of in years

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shut up Meg posted:

I hope this becomes A Thing.

As in:

'Hey, did you remember that Mary and Beth moved in today?'
'Dammit! Where am I going to get a pair of swords at this hour?'

It kinda is already.
Of the lesbians that I know that got married in the past two years, all of them had at least a photoshoot with swords.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is this a Carly Rae Jepsen thing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lawen posted:

This is good advice, Tiawanese whiskey is good bang for buck right now. Also worth trying is Legent, a collaboration between Fred Noe of Jim Beam and Shinji Fukuyo of Suntory; it’s a bourbon blended somewhat like a Japanese whisky and partially finished in wine and sherry casks. It’s not a steal at $60/bottle but worth checking out.

or just abandon all other whiskeys and stock up on Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition Style bourbon; I’m really liking it - first whisky I’ve ordered a case of in years

I don't think the Taiwanese whiskeys taste very much like Japanese whiskeys. They are very good though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

It kinda is already.
Of the lesbians that I know that got married in the past two years, all of them had at least a photoshoot with swords.

You can't talk about women having commemorative photoshoots with swords without invoking the inexplicably-not-goldmined BABES WITH BLADES thread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There were also babes with pumpkins in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm sorry are there seriously still people tilting at the e-book windmill in 2019?

Like if you prefer the feel of paper fine, so be it, but if you're buying/reading 50+ books a year that's cutting down almost a whole tree.

By the time you read your 20th or so book the carbon offset from the manufacture of the e-book reader has paid for itself versus buying a new book.

Water use pays off even more quickly - repaying the manufacture of the device in approximately 12 books read.

The operation electricity costs are trivial.

That and the thing is portable, holds thousands of books and works great.