Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

B-Mac posted:

No, the stock coolers does a decent job at keeping the CPU cool but at the expense of noise. Maybe you can contact Cooler Master and see if they can send you an AM4 mounting kit to reuse your 212 EVO.

Thanks, didn't realize that I could still use a 4yr old cooler like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

a dingus posted:

Stock fan on my 3700x is loud as poo poo too. It sounds like a turbine whirrring. I think it's just a bad design.

You didn't hit the switch on the fan shroud did you? There's an eco and full fan option. Mines relatively quiet on eco but loud as all hell with it switched over.

On the same side as the plugs for the mobo header.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ratbert90 posted:

Look at all these weaklings with < 24 cores. :smug:

Still not enough resources for GNOME.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Forgot to mention, but the 3800x is on sale at Newegg for $349.99.

e: Microcenter has it for $329.99 and the 3700x is on sale for $299.99. :getin:

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 18, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Howard Phillips posted:

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my Z98, i5-4590k, and 16GB ram. I guess I could build a Fedora box for messing around with but that means I have to spend more money buying case, power supply etc...

Those will all sell pretty well on eBay still, maybe you could use the $ towards something else on a different PC or something

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Puddin posted:

You didn't hit the switch on the fan shroud did you? There's an eco and full fan option. Mines relatively quiet on eco but loud as all hell with it switched over.

On the same side as the plugs for the mobo header.

Did not know that. I'll have to try it. I'll most likely end up replacing the cooler at some point though.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

shrike82 posted:

Are racks any good for home server setups? I've always been tempted to get one to house a server instead of a tower but don't know how they work outside of managed environments

There are small ~8U racks that can bolt directly to the wall so they're up higher and more out of the way, that's probably your best if you have the space for it and you can throw in a patch panel as well which would be nice. The biggest issue is that servers are generally much deeper than the tower configs which can consume a lot more usable space than using a tower config. Personally I wouldn't do a rackmount at home unless I had 3 or more boxes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol load-bearing servers get some loving rails

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I would not consider keeping 1U or 2U servers in a home at all, you guys are crazy. Just put desktops on a shelf and enjoy cheap quiet effective cooling.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

1 and 2U boxes aren't terribly loud if you don't gently caress around with the power management features so the fans can ramp down. If you're throwing them in a mechanical closet or utility room it doesn't really matter. With that said, I personally believe that with virtualization and the high socket densities that are available today that if you are running more than one box at home you've hosed up

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

1 and 2U boxes aren't terribly loud if you don't gently caress around with the power management features so the fans can ramp down. If you're throwing them in a mechanical closet or utility room it doesn't really matter. With that said, I personally believe that with virtualization and the high socket densities that are available today that if you are running more than one box at home you've hosed up

Agreed, I've got 5 servers VM'd in my one 4u server box which is my garage. Gotta love it!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

I find this situation LACKing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

At my old job when I started they were doing some really roughshod poo poo to save a buck. Would only buy rails with every 5th server so every server that did have them was also supporting the weight of at least 4U above it. Once they finally got replaced with VMs I discovered the frame on the 2U at the bottom of the stack that was holding up a 6U HP monstrosity had collapsed and the rack-mount UPS below it was actually supporting all the weight. Funniest part was the batteries on the UPS went bad as well because nobody was servicing them and as the swelled it started pushing the 2U back in to shape

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

At my old job when I started they were doing some really roughshod poo poo to save a buck. Would only buy rails with every 5th server so every server that did have them was also supporting the weight of at least 4U above it. Once they finally got replaced with VMs I discovered the frame on the 2U at the bottom of the stack that was holding up a 6U HP monstrosity had collapsed and the rack-mount UPS below it was actually supporting all the weight. Funniest part was the batteries on the UPS went bad as well because nobody was servicing them and as the swelled it started pushing the 2U back in to shape

Did someone just silence the alarms? Every UPS I've ever used starts making a racket if the batteries are over 3-5 years old.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

pixaal posted:

Did someone just silence the alarms? Every UPS I've ever used starts making a racket if the batteries are over 3-5 years old.

it was an early 2000's APC unit that would only self-test if you triggered it through their software, which no one set up. We didn't have power interruptions to make it kick over and detect any fault so it was blissfully unaware

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it was an early 2000's APC unit that would only self-test if you triggered it through their software, which no one set up. We didn't have power interruptions to make it kick over and detect any fault so it was blissfully unaware

Hmm. Time to go test all my UPS batteries.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

I run two separate boxes for NAS and VM sandbox, but only because I like to be able to take the sandbox down for reimage/hardware swap without having NAS downtime (and the NAS hardware is too old for VT-d). Both are just normal microATX desktops and with 32-core HEDT systems being available at this point, I can't imagine anything I'd want to do at home that would have me going to rackmount.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Now that's a whole new level of cheap. drat.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

There was also the guy who had a 50+ modem bank in his office that terminated in to a pile of optiplex shitboxes with 4 port squid breakout com port adapters that remotely ran the HVAC systems for a bunch of customer sites. Those were GX260/270 vintage systems that were right in the middle of the capacitor blight and every single one had blown all the caps on the VRM and no one noticed because 9600 baud BACnet is such a slow joke that an 386 could have done the work, so the cpu never left its slowest speedstep frequency and never got rebooted. Guy wanted to murder me when we upgrade the AV software on them and they all bluescreened because the initial scan triggered more CPU load in five minutes that the application stack created all year

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yea you would think they'd at least maintain the UPS if they were going to use it as a foundation for a building

E:

There was also the guy who had a 50+ modem bank in his office that terminated in to a pile of optiplex shitboxes with 4 port squid breakout com port adapters that remotely ran the HVAC systems for a bunch of customer sites. Those were GX260/270 vintage systems that were right in the middle of the capacitor blight and every single one had blown all the caps on the VRM and no one noticed because 9600 baud BACnet is such a slow joke that an 386 could have done the work, so the cpu never left its slowest speedstep frequency and never got rebooted. Guy wanted to murder me when we upgrade the AV software on them and they all bluescreened because the initial scan triggered more CPU load in five minutes that the application stack created all year

:stare: :stare:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I've stacked a server before, but that's because I forgot forgot to add rails when I finally made the order because who thinks of that? Of course it only sat on another server for a week or so while we waited on the rails to be shipped after ordering them.

Seriously rails should be default with the server, and you can save by removing them.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

pixaal posted:

Seriously rails should be default with the server, and you can save by removing them.

You've got to change your mindset to realize that $80 for rails is just noise in the budget allocation when you're filling up racks with spiffy new $15-30k servers. And remember, what doesn't get spent is what you lose out of next year's budget! Now you're thinking like a proper Enterprise account!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

mdxi posted:

You've got to change your mindset to realize that $80 for rails is just noise in the budget allocation when you're filling up racks with spiffy new $15-30k servers. And remember, what doesn't get spent is what you lose out of next year's budget! Now you're thinking like a proper Enterprise account!

I don't get a department budget, it's project budgets. Getting rails shipped after the fact wasn't a big deal, it was effectively a rounding error. They still should be shipped with them by default. Since people would complain that they are being forced to buy rails, let people drop them for a discount (the same one they would get by not adding rails now). It's just extremely frustrating to unbox something and not be able to mount it, and you also feel embarrassed and have to go ask for a small amount of money to complete the project.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

OhFunny posted:

I'm wondering how heavy the OS of the new consoles will be with all the features they include on. The PS4 and Xbone reserved two cores for OS functions early on.

Well yeah, two really-lovely cores. They could reserve one core 2 threads for the OS now and still have considerably more horsepower available to it, as well some functions (such as game recording I believe) were handled by custom silicon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I'm not saying it's good. I'd personally only ever use it for 4U cases (with something to support the back end) or network appliances. Just that it fits, and in the absence of anything better, ten bucks goes a long-rear end way.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

pixaal posted:

I don't get a department budget, it's project budgets. Getting rails shipped after the fact wasn't a big deal, it was effectively a rounding error. They still should be shipped with them by default. Since people would complain that they are being forced to buy rails, let people drop them for a discount (the same one they would get by not adding rails now). It's just extremely frustrating to unbox something and not be able to mount it, and you also feel embarrassed and have to go ask for a small amount of money to complete the project.

My apologies. I was attempting to agree with you via sarcasm toward the ridiculousness of vendor pricing :negative:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

mdxi posted:

My apologies. I was attempting to agree with you via sarcasm toward the ridiculousness of vendor pricing :negative:

Oh that works too, department budgets do work that way though, worked at places that did that. Project budgets are nice because if you need 2 big ticket items you can get them in the same year, they suck because you can't fly anything under the radar or get cool toys at the end of year with excess budget.

km2
Jul 27, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Hell yeah friend. :smug::hf::smug:

Look at all these weaklings with < 24 cores. :smug:

Not AMD unfortunately :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why do you have 4 threads per core.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Xeon Phi engineering sample.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KillHour posted:

Why do you have 4 threads per core.

It's 2x faster than two per

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lol awesome I wish I could justify having something like that

Could I like, monetize it somehow

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
pretty good at mining Monero

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Could I get a gigabit connection and become a video game server host or something

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

pretty good at mining Monero

Statutory Ape posted:

Could I get a gigabit connection and become a video game server host or something

I'm going to release the first ever coin that gets mined by running public Minecraft servers.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

As an aside, there's a new European cloud PC startup (Shadow https://shop.shadow.tech/pre-order) that's offering pretty decce gaming PC specs for 30-50 bucks a month.

quote:

Boost: Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU, 3.4GHz with 4 cores CPU, 12GB of RAM, 256GB of storage
Ultra: Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU, 4GHz with 4 cores CPU, 16GB of RAM, 512GB of storage
Infinite: Nvidia Titan RTX GPU, 4 GHz with 6 cores CPU, 32GB of RAM, 1TB of storage

They claim to allow installation of anything you want on a Win 10 instance so I wonder if they'd prevent people from doing cloud compute on it.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I've been using a 3700X for the past few days with everything left at defaults. Been happy with the temps and other stuff so given that is there any reason to mess with Ryzen Master? Has Windows 10 pretty much sorted out the issues with Ryzen power management, core parking, and all that stuff?

To clarify: I mean mess with fan or power curves or install the AMD provided power plans.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 19, 2019

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

shrike82 posted:

As an aside, there's a new European cloud PC startup (Shadow https://shop.shadow.tech/pre-order) that's offering pretty decce gaming PC specs for 30-50 bucks a month.

They claim to allow installation of anything you want on a Win 10 instance so I wonder if they'd prevent people from doing cloud compute on it.

also it's likely against the EULA for the nvidia drivers so: lol

eames
May 9, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

also it's likely against the EULA for the nvidia drivers so: lol

They explicitly write “GTX1080 equivalent” on their site so I would expect them to use approved hardware. The company has been around for years but it got quiet after the Stadia announcement.

When you do the math with yearly plans the prices don’t look too bad (~450€/3yr for GTX1080 and ~1450€/3yr for Titan RTX) but streaming will remain a niche until bandwidth and latency of consumer connections improves drastically.
Economies of scale are not to be underestimated though. I could already rent a dedicated or VPS server for less than the power cost of running slightly older hardware at home. That’s even ignoring the cost of hardware and connectivity.
The extreme density (cores, RAM, PCIe 4.0 lanes) that Ryzen/EPYC offers should push those prices down further over the long term.

eames fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

There’s a lot of room for GPU instance pricing to go down. Right now, the calculus is buying hardware over cloud if you’re doing more than a trivial amount of compute on an ongoing basis