Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I found it really offputting at the parts where he's using the parody names instead of outright "harley quinn seems to be everywhere all the time" lampshading like marvel does with Wolvie. But mostly I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I wonder what Scott Snyder thought about Morrison dunking on all his work in that issue, including his beloved Joker Batman. But I have a hard time imagining him getting mad at anything, so maybe he just thought it was funny.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't wait untul 2 years from now where Batman Who Laughs is largely forgotten about.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Roth posted:

I can't wait untul 2 years from now where Batman Who Laughs is largely forgotten about redeemed and joins a Justice League and is given his own titles and DC Universe show.

FTFY.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You make a compelling point, but I'm sure every evil Batman will reform and we'll get Justice League Bat

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

March Solicits: https://www.newsarama.com/48253-dc-comics-march-2020-solicitations.html
Not much big news, but some dope covers.
Robin anniversary special
King's Adam Strange starts
Jorge Jiminez joins JT4's Batman art crew

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Robin, huh.

I'd have thought JLA would be next with some made up legacy number, they had the 80 year special the month before. Maybe they're waiting for the decks to clear and/or for a vaguely plausible claim to 800/900/1000 counting all justice league books.

Joker 80 years here, year of the villain may end or coda with a 100 page joker book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i like this one

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh hey Tom King is doing Strange Adventures, a 12-issue series about Adam Strange. I wonder if it's going to be about PTSD and have miserable things continually happen!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh hey Tom King is doing Strange Adventures, a 12-issue series about Adam Strange. I wonder if it's going to be about PTSD and have miserable things continually happen!

Do you think he will attempt suicide at the beginning or the end in this one?

Like, props to King for bring the issue into the spotlight... But it has literally been everything he has written pretty much.

Honestly, after reading his Superman I want him to branch out more.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

i like this one

good ol Jae Lee

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As someone who really really really enjoyed Mr. Miracle and really really enjoys Adam Strange, I wish King would just do a straightforward space sci fi stuff like he did in Omega Men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No. He said Omega Men, Sheriff of Babylon, and Mister Miracle were his PTSD trilogy.

This will still be miserable because it’s about living in the age of Trump.

Supposedly there’s also a secret second hero sharing the spotlight with Adam Strange. Could be Captain Comet, could be Hawkman. Who knows?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
At least this time he isn't taking a hatchet to my favorite character. Good luck, Adam Strange fans. Hope you get good Tom King instead of atrocious Tom King.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I read an interview and and he said it's about colonialism and the difference between the shiny myth that is given to stories and the ugly truth they hide. So sounds like a lot of his other stuff to me. Of course it's a character I love in Adam Strange that doesn't really get much in the way of play these days so it makes sense that the person I'd not want writing a story of his is the person to get the job.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I hope it features graphic depictions of murder and is sold in Walmart! For the kids, y'know!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

X-O posted:

I read an interview and and he said it's about colonialism and the difference between the shiny myth that is given to stories and the ugly truth they hide.
Perfect for ex CIA dude (he said, ironically).

Read the first issue of Bendis' Legion of Superheroes. It's super pretty (the character redesigns are great), but the writing and set up (as a first issue) are a mess. More than 10 characters and I think 2 or 3 had a distinct voice (not counting Superboy, who spent the entire issue going "whaaa?").

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

More books should strongly remind me of Batman: Digital Justice. A perfect read from a perfect time.

Why has this never been reprinted? I could not afford it when it came out (I was eleven) but would love a reprint.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Nevvy Z posted:

Superman gives a nice summary in Morrison's latest issue of Blackstars.

Yeah, that feels about right. Thanks.

I guess I should just accept that my favorite time for DC comics was around 2003 and move on.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Scott Snyder posted a lot on twitter about his son getting into anime, so I assume all of his current bad writing tics (new bad guy is BEYOND anything we've seen before, we have to go to a level BEYOND THE BEYOND to beat him! repeated multiple times) stem from that.

I'm probably the only person in the world who's incredibly excited for Doomsday Clock. I've enjoyed absolutely every issue, Johns writes an amazing Superman, and maybe I'm an easily impressed idiot but Superman vs Dr. Manhattan as a literal interpretation of Bright and Cheery vs Grim and Gritty really strikes a nerve with me.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm always a little annoyed that Johns (and the higher ups of DC as a whole) is always writing these stories about how the good and hopeful triumphs over the grim and gritty as if half his career hasn't been about ultraviolence and arms getting ripped off.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

Scott Snyder posted a lot on twitter about his son getting into anime, so I assume all of his current bad writing tics (new bad guy is BEYOND anything we've seen before, we have to go to a level BEYOND THE BEYOND to beat him! repeated multiple times) stem from that.

that Superman punch from JL is one of the best moments he’s written and it’s basically something straight out of DBZ, so

unless that was a Tynion issue

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just read the last issue of the King Batman run. Glad it is exactly as I predicted.

Oh well. Still liked it overall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmmm.

This probably won't last very long.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How is Naomi by BMB?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i liked it, esp the art

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just read the last issue of the King Batman run. Glad it is exactly as I predicted.

Oh well. Still liked it overall.

It was getting kind of bad for a minute but I super enjoyed the secret history of dadbat. Mad we didn't get to see an actual bat/cat/dad love triangle.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also Batman hanging with Charlie Brown

Is doomsday clock canon? Or is it dark label?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Batman hanging with Charlie Brown

Is doomsday clock canon? Or is it dark label?

Canon.

Black Label isn't always non-canon either, just mostly.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So Geoff Johns has a five year plan going.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So he's gonna get a job at hooters?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So Doomsday Clock...honestly, all of the "big moments" in this book are quite good. This last issue in particular is "big ideas" Johns at his biggiest ideaiest and there are some genuinely great ones in here that are gonna get dissected for weeks if not months.

Unfortunately there's probably a grand total of...like...three?...big moments?...in all twelve issues of this. Three and a half, at a stretch? The rest is just literal white noise and a bunch of scenes of Batman being dumb.

At the end of the day I just have absolutely no idea what compelled Johns to believe that this story warranted twelve bloody issues. To be completely honest you could probably read just this one issue...just literally this final one, no preamble or forewords necessary...and come away with the same overall takeaway.

And then also there's a lot, like...skeevy centrist politics leaking through here that I'm having a hard time dismissing as "just" New Rorschach's fictional character viewpoint. I dunno. I'm not ready to harangue Johns personally about it yet but there are some buzzwords in the writing that make the whole thing feel less...acted, if you know what I mean.

Anyway spoiler alert Superman doesn't punch Manhattan in the dick, 0 out of 10 stars

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the big change-o's
Half way through the comic Dr Manhattan is inspired by Clark not hitting him in the face and goes back to undo his poo poo and it doesn't seem to create a whole new universe exactly (the events of Doomsday Clock is still going on when we catch back up to it) but things are brought back in...
-The JSA have always been around now and appear with new and old members.
-Young Clark is inspired by them to become a superhero earlier, and as Superboy he saves his parents from their N52 origin car crash. They're both now alive and the Legion of Superheroes is back to being inspired by him (though they appear as Bendis' incarnation, so 🤷‍♂️)
-It turns out every shift of Superman's origin expands the multiverse and we now have planets like Earth-1985.
-Manhattan lets us in on the next thousand years of DC Comics, laying the basis for 5G and a bunch of silly future stuff like a Marvel colab.
2020 - The 'old gods' mess with the timeline.
2025- Next CRISIS involving "Time Masters." "Superman is revitalized and his greatest allies return"
2026- Timeline is restored and Earth 5G is created (meaning that the previous time messings were 5G, and this is the end of it.), "Superman goes on a quest to find Bruce's lost daughter so she can save Bruce's son"
2030 - "Secret Crisis" (Marvel crossover) involving Thor and "a green behemoth stronger than even Doomsday"
Then a few more future rebooted Superman origins

There's a lot of obviously silly pie-in-the-sky far future stuff, but the next six years is gonna be what they're planning. 5G is real and might last 5-6 years from 2020.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 18, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's the big change-o's
Half way through the comic Dr Manhattan is inspired by Clark not hitting him in the face and goes back to undo his poo poo and it doesn't seem to create a whole new universe exactly (the events of Doomsday Clock is still going on when we catch back up to it) but things are brought back in...
-The JSA have always been around now and appear with new and old members.
-Young Clark is inspired by them to become a superhero earlier, and as Superboy he saves his parents from their N52 origin car crash. They're both now alive and the Legion of Superheroes is back to being inspired by him (though they appear as Bendis' incarnation, so 🤷‍♂️)
-It turns out every shift of Superman's origin expands the multiverse and we now have planets like Earth-1985.
-Manhattan lets us in on the next thousand years of DC Comics, laying the basis for 5G and a bunch of silly future stuff like a Marvel colab.
2020 - The 'old gods' mess with the timeline.
2025- Next CRISIS involving "Time Masters." "Superman is revitalized and his greatest allies return"
2026- Timeline is restored and Earth 5G is created (meaning that the previous time messings were 5G, and this is the end of it.), "Superman goes on a quest to find Bruce's lost daughter so she can save Bruce's son"
2030 - "Secret Crisis" (Marvel crossover) involving Thor and "a green behemoth stronger than even Doomsday"
Then a few more future rebooted Superman origins

There's a lot of obviously silly pie-in-the-sky far future stuff, but the next six years is gonna be what they're planning. 5G is real and might last 5-6 years from 2020.

Those are all old JSA member. it is an amalgamation of every iteration of the JSA. I wonder if the Legion was supposed to be too before Bendis was signed on.

I liked the issue flaws and all.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 18, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think it was dumb. As an excuse to refold the JSA, the LoSH, and Clark's parents back into the main DCU, I guess it's not the worst thing. Definitely could've been better and cleaner. As a standalone series that branches off of Watchmen, I think it's not good.

There's also an interesting coincidence that this issue was released not too long after the season finale of the new Watchmen series.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This doesn't matter though, right? Johns is no longer CCO.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Xelkelvos posted:

There's also an interesting coincidence that this issue was released not too long after the season finale of the new Watchmen series.

They both kind of ended as ehh whatever? I think the comic could have been better without the Watchmen characters, and the show just felt like bad Watchmen fanfic through most of it. The acting was great for several of the characters but the story...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New Suicide Squad seems like an interesting set-up. It's definitely one that's not new, but it's probably a little more current.

RIP Magpie and Cavalier

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Covok posted:

This doesn't matter though, right? Johns is no longer CCO.

This is absolutely the weirdest part to me. If this was maybe 10 years ago we're at peak "DC Architect Johns", he's effectively shepherding everything and managing multiple series that set the tone. Now what ongoing is he even writing right now, just Shazam? Do we think he's going to start writing another 2-3 series in 2020/2021? I know he's not necessarily on the outs with DC but my reaction to reading the future stuff was of him walking into the editorial offices and dropping a giant stack of papers labeled "MY COOL COOL IDEAS" before putting on his sunglasses and walking into the sunset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd be guessing he'll pick up JSA.

I was surprised he even brought up DCs 2020 road map. I figured that by now the book would have totally just been it's own thing and maybe just set the stage for a JSA return for Johns.

Well see if Ma and Pa just turn up in Bendis' Soup comics with no fanfair.