Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

drunkill posted:

It isn't the most eyerollingly bad thing in the movie, but it is pretty standard superhero fighting fare, just plain boring.

Kylo murking his knights of ren is fun and cool a few moments beforehand.

Chewie gets his medal, from Maz...

When kylo and rey kissed someone loudly groaned in the cinema, half the cinema laughed at that.

Palps is stuck in his basement with really bad fluro lights which flicker the whole time. Poor old dude.

Also they added a random room to the emperors tower on the deathstar, it used to have the 3 windows (with the fourth behind the turbolift) now there is a random door to the stage left of his old thrown. Really weird to change the design of that room.

So it's 'member OT? I member' the movie, as people are saying. Ehat would you say is the worst moment, and if you absolutely had to grade it, what's your judgement?

Just curious hearing from the regular crowd lol, the reviews are all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

One will def be a Mando film by Favreau

Imho

Yeah, they're announcing the next one in January. That's most definitely it.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Luminara I think was in the first Griveous appearance fight in the Clone Wars cartoon I think she gets killed in a Revenge of the Sith deleted scene?

That was Shaak Ti who was the same race as Ashoka.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Taintrunner posted:

Except you've forgotten one very key part of the equation here:

Anakin was LITERALLY WILLED INTO EXISTENCE BY PALPATINE, VIA DARK SIDE MAGIC, to literally BE THE CHOSEN ONE. Even though he's a Senator. On Naboo! He makes up a Force Baby. On Tattooine!

So this entire time he's plotted out getting a Right Hand Man to help him take power and then hunt down and kill the last of the Jedi. And Padme is his loving ace-in-the-hole in order to compromise Anakin and turn him to the Dark Side by letting him fall in love and get over-emotionally attached which brings out his hatred and rage and fear that awakens the Dark Side in him.

So no! His plan doesn't work either way! His plan specifically rests on all of those subcontractors failing!

Anakin is just a fun side project though. His plans dont hinge on him turning at all. He has absolute power and the Jedi will look like traitorous scum either way. He just rolls with everything that comes his way.
Anakin and palpatine don’t become close until the time between II and III in any case.

CODChimera posted:

Yeah but the funny part was the Droid and worms. Anyone could've done it by that point and why the worms and not a bomb?
It looks better on film and is a bit disgusting. The droid is so Obi wan can jump out the window and give us the dizzying height sickness.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The worms are an homage to Dune.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

Wrong. This is the official explanation of Anakin's birth: https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2018/12/20/star-wars-comic-anakin-father/

It's not fanfiction. The fact of the matter is that to actually have some idea what is going on with the Sequel Trilogy requires reading external media, so this is 100% defacto a part of the story. Palpatine willed Anakin into existence.

The entirety of TPM is getting Anakin off Tattooine and trained up as a Jedi because Palpy doesn't have the time or resources to acquire and/or train a Sith apprentice as he climbs the political ladder as a public figure.

nah this is definitely not real

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I love that a movie titled "The Rise of Skywalker" involves the entire Skywalker bloodline being exterminated root and stem, and the heir of their greatest enemy stealing the name.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wild Horses posted:

Anakin is just a fun side project though. His plans dont hinge on him turning at all. He has absolute power and the Jedi will look like traitorous scum either way. He just rolls with everything that comes his way.
Anakin and palpatine don’t become close until the time between II and III in any case.

Except it does. How the gently caress else is he going eliminate the survivors of Order 66? Vader's main role after the overthrow is going around hunting down and killing Jedi so they can't turn around and find a way overthrow Palpy.

He clearly isn't a side project either because he literally dark sided him into existence.

kidkissinger posted:

nah this is definitely not real

:thunk:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Taintrunner posted:

Wrong. This is the official explanation of Anakin's birth: https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2018/12/20/star-wars-comic-anakin-father/

It's not fanfiction. The fact of the matter is that to actually have some idea what is going on with the Sequel Trilogy requires reading external media, so this is 100% defacto a part of the story. Palpatine willed Anakin into existence.

The entirety of TPM is getting Anakin off Tattooine and trained up as a Jedi because Palpy doesn't have the time or resources to acquire and/or train a Sith apprentice as he climbs the political ladder as a public figure.

Oh I’m sorry, I thought we were interpreting the prequels as films, not reimagining their themes and basic plot in light of some dumbass comic book made thirteen years after the fact

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Turning myself into jivjov to own the prequel likers

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zoran posted:

Oh I’m sorry, I thought we were interpreting the prequels as films, not reimagining their themes and basic plot in light of some dumbass comic book made thirteen years after the fact

idk, he says it's not fan-fiction so legally we are required to accept that it isn't fan fiction

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zoran posted:

The fact of the matter is that to actually have some idea what is going on with the Sequel Trilogy requires reading external media, so this is 100% defacto a part of the story.

Sorry, but rules are rules! This is The Story. This is Canon. If you're going to pick and choose what is and isn't, then neither Episode 1-3 or 7-9 are canon. I'm simply playing by the rules provided by the owners of the intellectual property as endorsed by George Lucas, who sold it to them.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Scott Mendelson is such a tool at times. What adult fans is he talking about here? These imaginary quasi fascist boomers who buy starwars toys?

Does he seriously think "toxic fans" will be gushing all over this dumpster fire of a movie for a callback? Yeah, they'll be just thrilled at watching this paper thin lead character retcon Anakin Skywalkers role in the saga. I bet nothing will please these fans like watching this spawn of the emperor usurp the Skywalker name. Besides, most "hardcore" starwars fans are probably in their 30's. They all walked away after the last Jedi and went back to playing KOTOR for the fiftieth time.

As for all the normal fans? Hell my mom watched a new hope in theaters and she can't even remember a single of the new characters names.

Um, but the idea that the Skywalkers are direct descendents of the Palpatines is pretty heavily implied in the prequels.

I mean it's stupid, but....the Skywalkers being related to Palpatine makes a lot of sense.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I just got back from a midnight screening in AUS, which is on fire. Much like this movie.

There's a scene that I feel is a direct and completely unintended reference to The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy:

Rebels, either you let us arrest you, and beat you up a little - though not too much, because we are opposed to senseless violence - or we blow up this entire planet!
Bang-Bang: And also, one or two others we saw on the way in! (the two nods triumphantly at one another)[

Because they blow up a random planet the rebel's were on for all of 10 minutes and had no reference too otherwise.

The whole movie does this- bring up random plot threads or characters, and then throw them away or do nothing with 10 minutes later! Random plot threads the movie doesn't need or DOES need because Ryan Johnston! Noooooooooooooo. You manic JJ. You blew it up, You blew it up all to hell.

eg::
Why did the 2nd Death Star even exist if her had a fleet of A 1000 planet destroyers already?!?!

The YouTube reviewers are going to rip this movie apart. It's not as bad as The Last Jedi or the prequels...but it's bad for different reasons. Everything is so rushed, and it didn't have to be.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Taintrunner posted:

Except it does. How the gently caress else is he going eliminate the survivors of Order 66? Vader's main role after the overthrow is going around hunting down and killing Jedi so they can't turn around and find a way overthrow Palpy.

Maybe by using the clone troopers that were able to kill most of the jedi in the first place?

Taintrunner posted:

The fact of the matter is that to actually have some idea what is going on with the Sequel Trilogy requires reading external media, so this is 100% defacto a part of the story.

Sorry, but rules are rules! This is The Story. This is Canon. If you're going to pick and choose what is and isn't, then neither Episode 1-3 or 7-9 are canon. I'm simply playing by the rules provided by the owners of the intellectual property as endorsed by George Lucas, who sold it to them.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

It’s actually loving hilarious that JJ didn’t stick the landing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He could have used maul or grievous or created a new dude if anakin didn’t come around.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kidkissinger posted:

idk, he says it's not fan-fiction so legally we are required to accept that it isn't fan fiction

It's literally an officially licensed product made by the same studio with the explicit intent of buttressing the main story being told in the movies.

Sorry that the entire expanded universe thing is slapdash and requires reading a bunch of tie-in material just to juice Disney's stock value but the fact of the matter is that Palpatine created the Skywalkers. They might walk that back or paper over it one day but that's the story as it stands and it affects the interpretation of whatever bullshit they put in the movies.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

It looks better on film and is a bit disgusting. The droid is so Obi wan can jump out the window and give us the dizzying height sickness.

It is still pretty dumb that Obi jumps out the window after the droid and not Anakin.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Jesus posted:

Maybe by using the clone troopers that were able to kill most of the jedi in the first place?
[quote]

They had to surprise the Jedi and catch them unaware. Doubt you could do the same poo poo twice.

[quote]
This is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Understanding what the gently caress is going on in the Sequel Trilogy requires reading a significant amount of outside material. This is by design. To throw your hands in the air and go "nuh-uh!" is refusing to engage with the media on its own terms. ROTS came out after this critical piece of the story, and by the rules of the people who made these movies - it counts. Sorry!

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's literally an officially licensed product made by the same studio with the explicit intent of buttressing the main story being told in the movies.

Sorry that the entire expanded universe thing is slapdash and requires reading a bunch of tie-in material just to juice Disney's stock value but the fact of the matter is that Palpatine created the Skywalkers. They might walk that back or paper over it one day but that's the story as it stands and it affects the interpretation of whatever bullshit they put in the movies.

Precisely. Thank you.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

riseofmydick posted:

Um, but the idea that the Skywalkers are direct descendents of the Palpatines is pretty heavily implied in the prequels.

I mean it's stupid, but....the Skywalkers being related to Palpatine makes a lot of sense.

George cut that out from Episode 3 where it was intended to be revealed.

Pre disney all the expanded universe had varying degrees of Canoninity. Wookiepedia used to have a whole segment dedicated to discussing canon, complete with various levels and all that.

So I'll accept that it was definately entertained but never solidified. Even still, it's not relevant to this movie anyway since it can't even explain how Palpatine survived, or deal with the fact that sith don't have force ghosts per se since they give that up for power in their one life. Skywalker and Palpatine being related fades in importance since this is most likely a tone deaf statement about being able to pick your own family or somesuch crap. Yeah that might work somewhat given adoptions or so, but force sensitivity is an inherited trait.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 18, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

dex_sda posted:

So it's 'member OT? I member' the movie, as people are saying. Ehat would you say is the worst moment, and if you absolutely had to grade it, what's your judgement?

Bad CGI young(er) Leia. Like, much worse than RO which wasn't terrible in comparison.

It is all of 3 seconds long but looks terrible. Carrie Fisher dying really hosed up a few third act plot points of this movie.

Grading? C or C+. Too busy, remove 3 locations and 2-3 of the new characters who have no time to be fleshed out. The script needs a bit edit, even if they kept the same plotline, the dialog is pretty awful in sections.

Episode 1 and TLJ are looking better in comparison, just in how they are structured, better pacing, even if TLJ has problems with pacing and structure.

euphronius posted:

The worms are an homage to Dune.

Well they went all out with Dune references in this.

Poe is revealed as a former Spice runner. (drug runner) working with a crew. He also avoids a sky sandworm while doing short hyperspace jumps, was shown in the trailer. And then they filmed in the desert where the new Dune move was filmed too... where he plays Duke Leto Atreides.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 18, 2019

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

That thing is most definitely fan fiction, and even in the comic that scene is some kind of dream.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Why would he keep shooting lightning if his own lightning is killing him?

Once you activate Force Lightning you have to wait until the ability finishes and goes on cooldown, moving does not cancel the channel.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Animation locked rip. Sad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if lucas wasn't involved then it's not canon as far as i care, and one day i will be sent to the disney gulag for this belief

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

Understanding what the gently caress is going on in the Sequel Trilogy requires reading a significant amount of outside material. This is by design. To throw your hands in the air and go "nuh-uh!" is refusing to engage with the media on its own terms. ROTS came out after this critical piece of the story, and by the rules of the people who made these movies - it counts. Sorry!

Precisely. Thank you.

i'm not going to read anything in order to watch a movie. my interpretation is based on the films and the films alone. and my interpretation is correct. i don't care if the denny's placemat says something that contradicts my interpretation.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

drunkill posted:

Bad CGI young(er) Leia. Like, much worse than RO which wasn't terrible in comparison.

It is all of 3 seconds long but looks terrible. Carrie Fisher dying really hosed up a few third act plot points of this movie.

Grading? C or C+. Too busy, remove 3 locations and 2-3 of the new characters who have no time to be fleshed out. The script needs a bit edit, even if they kept the same plotline, the dialog is pretty awful in sections.

Episode 1 and TLJ are looking better in comparison, just in how they are structured, better pacing, even if TLJ has problems with pacing and structure.

Well they went all out with Dune references in this.

Poe is revealed as a former Spice runner. (drug runner) working with a crew. He also avoids a sky sandworm while doing short hyperspace jumps, was shown in the trailer. And then they filmed in the desert where the new Dune move was filmed too... where he plays Duke Leto Atreides.

JJ Abrams presents: a C, Maybe C+.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JJ abrams has always gone too fast. I don’t get it. He says after every movie too “yeah I went a bit too fast”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Taintrunner posted:

that was a thing in the old canon too. it was just more implied than stated out right.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

It's not fanfiction.

Everything after the OT is fanfiction. Yes, that includes everything else written by Lucas.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So is it true? All of it?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Canon is an illusion. It's a marketing gimmick to trick you into thinking some fiction is somehow realer than others

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So if Palpatine is Anakin's dad are Rey and Kylo cousins?

Sheesh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

First cousins once removed

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Taintrunner posted:

He clearly isn't a side project either because he literally dark sided him into existence.

:thunk:

It’s just a hobby my guy. Turning guys “on the fence” is recreational sith stuff.
Anakin comes to him and he works him as a little “extra”. Of course when anakin starts looking promising he incorporates him to a larger extent, but in no way is Sheev’s plan “silly” or “convoluted”, which was your main argument. Sheev is confident he can’t fail and things will work out as intended

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Genuinely pleased that we were able to somehow reprise the jivjov debate before episode 9 after all. It's a JJ eve miracle

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Genuinely pleased that we were able to somehow reprise the jivjov debate before episode 9 after all. It's a JJ eve miracle

Ikr. We even had a placemat reference.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Even if Sheev created Anakin, they probably have no genetic relationship. So it's fine, just like it'd be fine if C-3PO and Luke kissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

That thing is most definitely fan fiction, and even in the comic that scene is some kind of dream.

It's fanfiction sure, but it's also established canon per Disney. Just like the trash monster in ANH being a powerful force user and rape survivor that only grabbed Luke to baptize him in the force and may have reincarnated into Rey after dying. That is also canon.