Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I just put Debian on my old desktop and am running it as a server for PLEX, irssi, and a couple other things. I have an app called SSH button on my phone to restart it or shut it down if necessary. I should look into wake on LAN next. And Pi-hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Why not just get a $50 Athlon 3000G, a $50 mATX motherboard, a 4GB stick of RAM for $35, and run Linux? It's what I do, since my NAS is an old 32 bit ARM system.

Because I don’t know how to do any of that and I have no experience with Linux? I’m looking for a simple, kind of plug and play solution. Not trying to learn how to build a whole new system on an unknown OS.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mahoning posted:

Because I don’t know how to do any of that and I have no experience with Linux? I’m looking for a simple, kind of plug and play solution. Not trying to learn how to build a whole new system on an unknown OS.

Do you know how to install Windows from scratch, how drives are split into partitions particularly? If yes, cool, you know enough about computers to install Pop OS. Installing Plex on top of that is downloading a file in Firefox with a different three letter acronym at the end, double clicking on it to open it up in a mobile-like App Store frontend, and clicking the big install button. Maybe you also have to specify your user password.

Edit: You can also grab one of those $12 Windows keys if it really means that much more to you.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 18, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I tried loving around with linux a decade ago because that's what my super computer nerd friend said I needed for my application.

It was the biggest pain in the rear end and a huge waste of time. Just buy a cheap little PC. It doesn't need to be very fast to stream DVD rips over Plex.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Get a shield. That’s the actual advice.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mahoning posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s only around that price range because it’s diskless and would require two disk drives on top of the $200+ for the NAS?

Yes. I assumed you already had the drives.

I haven’t migrated my stuff to it yet but I will. It’s lower power use than my PC and has hardware transcoding.

The cheap linux server suggestions are good too. Whatever you’re comfortable with.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mahoning posted:

Friend it’s dirt simple and you can just run it in a docker container and be good to go in the same amount of time for the same amount of trouble. Toss a watchtower container on there for auto updates and it more or less takes care of itself.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That seems like a crazy recommendation for someone who doesn't want to use Linux.

Get a Shield or buy an older used pc. Something like a Dell Optiplex 30x0 micro or sff can be found on ebay for $200 with ssd and a windows license.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

phosdex posted:

That seems like a crazy recommendation for someone who doesn't want to use Linux.

Par for the course for Linux users. "It's easy! All you have to do is load 15 customizations and then you can mount your portable hard drive!"

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Par for the course for Linux users. "It's easy! All you have to do is load 15 customizations and then you can mount your portable hard drive!"

people need to grow up

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just run the server on a Shield

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

derk posted:

people need to grow up

Or people could stop recommending others move away from an OS they've probably used for a decade+ to one they have zero knowledge in, and is a hell of a lot more work when it inevitably shits the bed down the line. For the average Plex/Usenet person, there is absolutely zero reason to move to a Linux based install. Stick to Windows/MacOS if that's what you know, unless you were planning on learning that stuff anyway.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nocheez posted:

I’ll give you the portable hard drive thing, there is no excuse for it to be obtuse as it is. Thankfully these days most everything is pretty straightforward if you’re using Ubuntu or some other non crazy person distro. Y’all do y’all, use whatever you want.

Like run a Ubuntu instance on a Windows box via WSL. :black101:

E - Semi related, does Plex not have a distro available for folks not wanting to deal with *nix? I know that’s popular in the Raspberry Pi world, but I’ve never thought to check for more conventional use cases. I’d imagine it would be more trouble than it’s worth.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 18, 2019

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

EL BROMANCE posted:

Or people could stop recommending others move away from an OS they've probably used for a decade+ to one they have zero knowledge in, and is a hell of a lot more work when it inevitably shits the bed down the line. For the average Plex/Usenet person, there is absolutely zero reason to move to a Linux based install. Stick to Windows/MacOS if that's what you know, unless you were planning on learning that stuff anyway.

Unraid is very good at hiding Linux from the user and leverages docker as a plugin system and is very stable.

One of the reasons Linux is recommended is it as lower overhead so you're going to squeeze more performance out of an old shitbox you might have (which is useful for transcoding).

But by all means, use whatever your comfortable with. WTF is with the aggression in here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheScott2K posted:

This is the best advice tbh. Also use it as a slick main player too. All for $200.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

TheScott2K posted:

Been doing this for over 10 years and the Shield is the best thing I ever purchased. I have the original 2015 model and I've yet to find a reason to replace it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unless things have changed, the Shield maxes out at 2-3 transcodes so it's suitability as a server depends on your use case. I've seen a fair amount of people using Shields as the server complain down the line so I wouldn't just go all in on one unless you know it's going to cover all your bases, it's not like you can upgrade it in the future. These days transcode limits shouldn't be such a major issue with the amount of cheap stick devices that can cover the gamut of codecs, but it's best to know before spending the $.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Matt Zerella posted:

But by all means, use whatever your comfortable with. WTF is with the aggression in here.

Craptacular's post came off a bit patronizing to the goon asking for a recommendation, that's probably why.

It's not unreasonable for someone to not want to build a custom linux box for their plex server, especially if said goon asked for a solution that was literally plug and play, in which case building a custom linux box is the exact antithesis of that so lol.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unless things have changed, the Shield maxes out at 2-3 transcodes so it's suitability as a server depends on your use case. I've seen a fair amount of people using Shields as the server complain down the line so I wouldn't just go all in on one unless you know it's going to cover all your bases, it's not like you can upgrade it in the future. These days transcode limits shouldn't be such a major issue with the amount of cheap stick devices that can cover the gamut of codecs, but it's best to know before spending the $.

I believe the goon said their content is comprised of just DVD rips, so I don't think transcoding will be much of an issue.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving Linux nerds. :lol:

Is PlexPass worth a poo poo? It's $90 right now for life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I mean as a generalization. If that particular guy remuxes to MPEG2 though it might force transcoding depending on the client, as that's less and less supported, but I'm guessing a Shield should be able to do that without blinking, and could support more than the talked about 2-3 streams at a time.

e: for $90 I could probably get about that amount of value out of Plex Pass in my lifetime, I rarely find myself using the paid features except for travelling (which usually means syncing a bunch of content to my phone which might or might not work, and usually doesn't get watched anyway).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah to be clear, if he means "dvd rips" as in he uses handbrake or something and converts to H264 then he's mostly fine (unless he's on a weak cell/wifi connection and needs to transcode for bitrate). If he means "dvd rips" as in he uses something to strip css and has MPEG2 files sitting on a drive somewhere then they may be transcoded in some situations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah to be clear, if he means "dvd rips" as in he uses handbrake or something and converts to H264 then he's mostly fine (unless he's on a weak cell/wifi connection and needs to transcode for bitrate). If he means "dvd rips" as in he uses something to strip css and has MPEG2 files sitting on a drive somewhere then they may be transcoded in some situations.

Yeah I’m ripping with MakeMKV and then converting to H.264 with Handbrake.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Has Plex been misbehaving for anyone else since a recent update (not too sure of the version number, but it's been since the new video player has been released)

Movies take a long time to start playing then when they do, they run for a few seconds before crashing Plex and forcing the TV to reboot. TV shows oddly seem fine though? (I assume it's something to do with file size and the new player is trying to cache too much data?)

Switching back to the old player fixes this however since the new player has come out DTS sound doesn't work, neither does transcoding.

It's pretty much made Plex unusable.

Using a Sony Android TV with the latest version of the Plex app connected to the latest version of Plex server

Edit:
It looks like pass through got turned on at some point, turning that off fixed the audio problems. Transcoding still doesn't work however, neither does the new player

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 22, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I did have some issues with certain files not streaming properly, lots of auto-pausing. It might be related, but I thought maybe just my server and cable modem might need rebooted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know when there’s an amber alert or emergency broadcast that my cable box will go all nutty to let me know, but I didn’t realize plex did something too. I noticed last night when a tornado warning came through on my phone that the plex feed I was watching on my laptop paused. I’m sure the emergency tones came from that too, but didn’t see any written stuff on the screen. Unless it’s something built in macOS that overrides whatever you’re doing? Was kinda useful at least.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
A few weeks ago I was grousing about my posters not updating in Plex, just with Movies. I finally tracked it down so just in case anyone else has the problem, see this thread on the Plex forums. They are also issuing a fix in the server itself at some point but no clue when that will happen. It was driving me absolutely insane, my config had not changed in years and yet posters refused to download for movies, it was just using still images taken from the file itself. If you're using unRAID dockers like me then the Plex docker lives in /mnt/cache/Plex. Anyways just a heads up post.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 23, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

EL BROMANCE posted:

The reason I suggested it was because if you're running a bare bones computer with the most sparse amount of memory and power to spare, and the main requirement is "I want it to run 24/7 and forget about it", then I don't think it should run Windows, unless it's the LTSC release. The system most people talk about when they talk about Windows has a number of agendas, one of which is to lure you into the rest of MS's product stack, and while I don't have a problem with it on my main PC there's no reason a 24/7 Plex-Only box needs Cortana and Xbox Game Bar/Pass, nor should you have to waste your time uninstalling that crap.

Fair point: "Get a Shield" was also a better answer.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 25, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dealing with that crap (or just ignoring it) is far preferable to learning an OS from scratch. Like Windows sucks, which is why my server is macOS, but it’s still preferable for someone whose never touched a Linux distro in their life maintaining something that’s supposed to be fun. If you like Linux and use it anyway then go hog wild.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't want to become That Guy or take the thread too deep in this direction, so I'll just contribute this as a guy who picked up Linux specifically for Plex and associated 24/7 media server apps:

The hardest, most arcane part is figuring out how to point to a drive that isn't the one you installed onto. It is a bizarre process involving editing a text file. The actual installation is extremely similar to Windows nowadays, the installation of Plex Server is as easy as it is on Windows if not even easier, and the database can be directly copied across systems. But trying to define where your media lives will still take a trip to Google.

To me it was just worth being able to leave my machine alone for a long time and not having to disable 90% of the userland stuff on a workstation OS and having to reboot to apply every "Patch Tuesday" cumulative update. Part of why I use Plex is that I am often for 3-6 months physically very far away from my host machine. And to be fair, many Linux distros will greet you with 250+ updates it will try to install all in one job if you do the same thing. But enterprise distros and Win10 LTSC are quite ideal.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 26, 2019

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
You can get LTSC keys for cheap on eBay if you don’t want to go the full piracy route.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You can run updates remotely on any modern operating system, though?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've been running plex on an always on windows 10 pro box for years and it's fine. I have it set to auto login on startup in case it needs to do updates in the middle of the night or whatever.

It's totally fine if that's what you want to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've been running plex on an always on windows 10 pro box for years and it's fine. I have it set to auto login on startup in case it needs to do updates in the middle of the night or whatever.

It's totally fine if that's what you want to do.

Yeah, I don't get the issue. While I run Plex on Linux, I have some DVR software (Blue Iris) that I like a lot which is unfortunately windows only and it's been running on Win 10 (retail) VM for at least 4 years now with no issues. I have updates set to notify only and I occasionally log in and install updates/update Blue Iris if one is available. It's not given me any hassle at all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone know why the Plex windows app will playback video at muich lower quality than the web based app? Seems to consistently be the way. But sometimes the app plays back just fine.

I don't think there is any reason to use the windows app over the browser one anyway I suppose.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

priznat posted:

I don't think there is any reason to use the windows app over the browser one anyway I suppose.
Tonemapping is my reason for using the windows application.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I am thoroughly confused.

My setup:

Synology DS213j w\ 2x8TB drives -> Gigabit router-> Plex on my PC

TV is on Powerline adapter but Netflix speed test is getting around 70 Mbps to their servers.

I tried running ethernet directly from the router to the TV and it still buffers.

1080p is fine. Wireless or Wired.

4K buffers regardless of connection.

PC:
Ryzen 5 1600
16GB DDR 4
GTX 1660ti
Plex itself is on an SSD (just weeding out possibles)
Hardware Acceleration is on

Any ideas why I'd be unable to do 4K encodes to a Roku or LG C9 TV? I've tried Plex on both.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 2, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Install Tautulli and see what exactly it’s doing. Could be a variety of reasons but easier to work it backwards. Do these files contain enabled subtitles? That’s often a falling over point.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Install Tautulli and see what exactly it’s doing. Could be a variety of reasons but easier to work it backwards. Do these files contain enabled subtitles? That’s often a falling over point.

They do. I'll try turning it off and using Tautulli to see what's going on.

Edit:

https://imgur.com/a/pLcv5sK are the results from trying to play a 4k. It looks like it's transcoding audio? If that's my issue then I can fix with handbrake, right?

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 3, 2020

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Plex is driving me insane. I have a 4k TV with Roku built in. I can play Amazon Prime 4k videos no problem, I can play Youtube videos at 4k no problem.

Even playing 720p or Flac audio on Plex, it will struggle to initially play them. Videos will often get stuck at 13% when first playing. I have to hit the back arrow, select play again, stuck at 13%, repeat about 5-10 times and then the video will finally play.

What can I do? I playing over wifi on my local home network. As I said I play 4k videos from other sources no problem, so I know its not the wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is your Plex server attempting to transcode them? Does it have a powerful GPU or CPU to handle said transcode?