Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Avenging Dentist posted:

Assuming I'm understanding what you want, toggle keyword.enabled.

It is enabled. The default choice no matter what I do is google search and it's hideously obnoxious when #2 is what I actually want. It's just stupendously obnoxious that I can't keyword<ENTER> but I have to look at the suggestions, make sure what I want is really the first/second entry, select it then go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Harik posted:

It is enabled. The default choice no matter what I do is google search and it's hideously obnoxious when #2 is what I actually want. It's just stupendously obnoxious that I can't keyword<ENTER> but I have to look at the suggestions, make sure what I want is really the first/second entry, select it then go.

Does turning off search suggestions in the options page work?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
No, it's not a search suggestion, it's suggesting that I search the web. I tried enabling them and putting search suggestions after but that just sends every keystroke to google and puts the suggestions after history/bookmarks.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
This is a pretty funny joke
https://twitter.com/firefox/status/1202977266533318656

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know how I can move this new Menu button somewhere else?

I'd prefer to have it back being the left most button but I'd take it being literally anywhere else but there.

add to userchrome.css
/* hamburger main menu on the left */
#PanelUI-button { -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important; }

Harik posted:

Do you actually have 'c-spam' in keywords in the bookmark manager, or tags?

eames
May 9, 2009

I just got my Spotify notification yesterday, this is perfect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Klyith posted:

add to userchrome.css
/* hamburger main menu on the left */
#PanelUI-button { -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important; }

God bless you.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Harik posted:

I don't know if the usercss tweaks here apply to your problem. It definitely sounds like something that would have annoyed me to no end of it happened to me.

e. fixed link

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 9, 2019

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Klyith posted:

Do you actually have 'c-spam' in keywords in the bookmark manager, or tags?
Yes. Both.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't know if the usercss tweaks here apply to your problem. It definitely sounds like something that would have annoyed me to no end of it happened to me.

e. fixed link
This looks promising but nothing changed. I've got userChrome.css enabled and working because I use it for nuking the tabs toolbar in favor of tree-style-tabs. What exactly was that supposed to be doing? I moved action=searchengine to the end of the list but it didn't move.

e2: this is killing me because my workflow is alt-d sitename enter, and that works on everything but subforums. As long as it's the hostname firefox gives that priority, so typing f-o-r autocompletes to forums.somethingawful.com, etc. I can't make it give bookmarks the same boost over the suggestion to search the web for it.

Harik fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 9, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Harik posted:

I moved action=searchengine to the end of the list but it didn't move.

try browser.search.suggest.enabled to false?

also wtf the about :config page sucks now, you used to be able to filter everything that was set to non-defaults. now you have to scrolls through the whole dang list.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Klyith posted:

try browser.search.suggest.enabled to false?

also wtf the about :config page sucks now, you used to be able to filter everything that was set to non-defaults. now you have to scrolls through the whole dang list.

That's search suggestions - I.E. sending each keystroke to google. It's already off and you can access it in the prefs UI.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Harik posted:

This looks promising but nothing changed. I've got userChrome.css enabled and working because I use it for nuking the tabs toolbar in favor of tree-style-tabs. What exactly was that supposed to be doing? I moved action=searchengine to the end of the list but it didn't move.
It was some other unhelpful suggestion that at the time popped tot the top of the list under some circumstances. This suggestion started with "visit with" and those keywords make it googleable, if you care enough. If you're not seeing any difference, might as well take it back out.

I now have:
browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches - False
browser.urlbar.suggest.searches - False
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled - False
keyword.enabled - False

Ref here

And the combo of them does seem to get rid of the Search with Google thing, as well as probably break related address bar functionality. However, instead the first result is replaced with "http://c-spam/ - visit", so still not what you want, I guess.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Harik posted:

That's search suggestions - I.E. sending each keystroke to google. It's already off and you can access it in the prefs UI.

I think you should start looking through your about :config for stuff that might be interfering, because I use bookmarks with keywords and it works exactly like you want. The keyword is always at the top of the suggestions & is the default when I hit enter.

The only non-defaults I have that I can find of possible relevance are:
browser.search.update - false
browser.search.suggest.enabled - false
browser.urlbar.timesBeforeHidingSuggestionsHint - 0

All of the settings Flipperwaldt just posted are default for me.

edit: another possible thing: preferences -> privacy & security -> address bar -> When using the address bar, suggest Bookmarks

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 9, 2019

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Klyith posted:

I think you should start looking through your about :config for stuff that might be interfering, because I use bookmarks with keywords and it works exactly like you want. The keyword is always at the top of the suggestions & is the default when I hit enter.

The only non-defaults I have that I can find of possible relevance are:
browser.search.update - false
browser.search.suggest.enabled - false
browser.urlbar.timesBeforeHidingSuggestionsHint - 0

edit: another possible thing: preferences -> privacy & security -> address bar -> When using the address bar, suggest Bookmarks
The edit wasn't it, either.

The important bit is that you made it work, so I'll make a fresh profile, change those three non-defaults of yours and see if it works. After that it's just a matter of comparing settings. Thanks.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know how I can move this new Menu button somewhere else?

I'd prefer to have it back being the left most button but I'd take it being literally anywhere else but there.

'new'?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

They're all bolded as non-default for me! :shrug:

Amazing, isn't it. I don't even want to know.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Harik posted:

The edit wasn't it, either.

The important bit is that you made it work, so I'll make a fresh profile, change those three non-defaults of yours and see if it works. After that it's just a matter of comparing settings. Thanks.

I've had keyword bookmarks forever and they just work. They even show up first on my address bar. I am using the beta so maybe it is a bug with the standard release build, but at this point I would agree that it sounds like an issue with your profile somewhere.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was a fool. Picture in picture is actually great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I'm scared to update my firefox now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sab669 posted:

It's real nice to have. I do miss not having access to volume controls on the player and would not mind a globally configurable pause key, but it's like a backup camera on a car, you get dependent on it real fast.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

yay they're supporting adobe flash aga-- oh.

Sab669 posted:

I like it sometimes, but I don't really have a spot for it without having to cover/move the browser window anyway.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

It's real nice to have. I do miss not having access to volume controls on the player and would not mind a globally configurable pause key, but it's like a backup camera on a car, you get dependent on it real fast.

I imagine a volume controller wouldn't be too hard for them to add in a future update? Or maybe as a third-party plug in?

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like it sometimes, but I don't really have a spot for it without having to cover/move the browser window anyway.

There's a browser-based card game I play where it's easiest if I use my browser in Full Screen mode and then I just throw a video up over that in the corner. Works great.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Something I actually discovered yesterday: The PiP window will snap back into its previous position when you press ESC while dragging it.
Very useful for when it covers something important on the screen.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
What are you folks using for a web darkener?

Dark Reader is pissing me off.

e: VVVV Oooooh :(

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 12, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AnimalChin posted:

What are you folks using for a web darkener?

The news. :smith:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sab669 posted:

I imagine a volume controller wouldn't be too hard for them to add in a future update? Or maybe as a third-party plug in?

The Persistent Video/Audio Volume extension works for me.

Mostly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

I'm scared to update my firefox now.

I accidentally updated to 71 and I didn't get a hamburger button.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Updated firefox for the first time in a while because I'm an idiot, and after I managed to finally make it give me my tabs under my other bars again, I had...this. It's like some sort of dead zone. No commands go in, nothing comes out. Can't right click and do anything with tabs. Tabs won't extend past that + into the dead zone, they just stay to the left of the + and get smaller and smaller while the dead zone stays the same size. If I maximize my window, it gets about twice as long, but otherwise it's the same. I can't remember, at this point, if it was there before I had to remake a new userchrome.css file, which literally only has 'move the tabs underneath' inside it.

I can't seem to do anything with said .css file to alleviate this situation, don't even know what something like this would be called to try and google a solution.

I mean, I can live with it, obviously, but it's just so...ugh. Fuckin' mozilla. Always have to break something new with every update.

edit: So dumb I forgot the picture.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 16, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Updated firefox for the first time in a while because I'm an idiot, and after I managed to finally make it give me my tabs under my other bars again, I had...this. It's like some sort of dead zone. No commands go in, nothing comes out. Can't right click and do anything with tabs. Tabs won't extend past that + into the dead zone, they just stay to the left of the + and get smaller and smaller while the dead zone stays the same size. If I maximize my window, it gets about twice as long, but otherwise it's the same. I can't remember, at this point, if it was there before I had to remake a new userchrome.css file, which literally only has 'move the tabs underneath' inside it.

I can't seem to do anything with said .css file to alleviate this situation, don't even know what something like this would be called to try and google a solution.

I mean, I can live with it, obviously, but it's just so...ugh. Fuckin' mozilla. Always have to break something new with every update.

If you hit customize is there a spacer there?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

astral posted:

If you hit customize is there a spacer there?

Nope. Nothing. I can't add anything there, either, except a flexible space, and even then only by adding it to the side of the new tab button, but if I try to plop it down in the middle of the blue void, nothing.

...so if nothing else, I guess I can at least add 4 or 5 flexible spaces after the new tab button to hide the void.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The solution is to get your CSS customizations from someone that's keeping it updated. CustomCSSforFX is by the guy who made ClassicThemeRestorer and is well maintained. If you learn to use that, you won't have these problems again.

But if you don't feel like doing that, here's a pastebin of all the CSS for tabs below navbar. Works perfectly with no mystery blank space. The next time firefox has a UI update it'll go stale again.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

This isn't mozilla's fault, fiddling with userchrome to hack on the UI is a blunt method that doesn't respond to changes. Look at that pastebin, it's 500 lines, it's got dozens of things that change depending on which version of windows the browser is running on.

Yes it's a crying shame that we can't change the UI with extensions anymore, extensions could handle this stuff way better. Since we can't you have to treat complex userchrome UI stuff like an extension from the old days when moz addons didn't exist and all extensions had to be manually installed and updated. It was a pain keeping stuff up to date back then too.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

This isn't mozilla's fault
It is.

They destroyed the functionality of several very popular addons, and then said "suck it use the buttons our ipad intern designers give you".

Since its such a "simple" css change, they could include these with the product and have toggles for the commonly used changes built in.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

EimiYoshikawa posted:

This exact same thing happened to me with the update, was able to get tabs on bottom again but still had that space there. Tried for a long time to mess around with css flex settings but in the end I started fresh with a new usercss, used the top google result for tabs on bottom, and that worked.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ArcaneMan posted:

This exact same thing happened to me with the update, was able to get tabs on bottom again but still had that space there. Tried for a long time to mess around with css flex settings but in the end I started fresh with a new usercss, used the top google result for tabs on bottom, and that worked.

Well, it's actually really nice to know it wasn't just me, at least! I'll give that a try, then. Thank you very much, to everyone who responded.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Didn't Mozilla promise to reimplement some of those missing UI controls during the addonpocalypse? Have they been holding to that promise?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

They've been way too busy making the logo weirdly purple.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is there a way to show the netflix debug overlay in Firefox on macOS? I resubscribed for the first time since switching to FF but the quality seems close to 480p or worse. ctrl-option-shift-s isn't working.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I recently switched over from Chrome and I cannot, for the life of me, get audio notifications to work for Android Messages' web browser page (https://messages.google.com/web/). Everything else plays audio notifications just fine. Anyone know what gives? I'm on the newest version of OS X for reference.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

eames posted:

Is there a way to show the netflix debug overlay in Firefox on macOS? I resubscribed for the first time since switching to FF but the quality seems close to 480p or worse. ctrl-option-shift-s isn't working.

It's D, not S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Montalvo posted:

I recently switched over from Chrome and I cannot, for the life of me, get audio notifications to work for Android Messages' web browser page (https://messages.google.com/web/). Everything else plays audio notifications just fine. Anyone know what gives? I'm on the newest version of OS X for reference.

Try adding the site to the A/V autoplay whitelist? Go to Options in the browser menu and search for "autoplay".