Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m sitting in LAX now. Ended up with a 4 day cold the 4 days I was here.

Why can’t I get sick the day before a trip instead? Because gently caress me, that’s why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
https://speedtape-airlines-pilot-shop.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/just-asap-it-crew-bag-sticker

The Slaughter posted:

Anyway, I got LAX 737 FO, so it's time to get some compression socks for sitting in that cramped thing for 8 hours a day.

Hello fellow LAX 737 FO:hfive:. For what it's worth I'm 6'4" and "goon sized." The 737 cockpit isn't as bad as people have made it out to be but it's certainly the least comfortable jet cockpit I've been in. Spending about 5 minutes doing leg and back stretches before leaving the hotel/house seems to help, as well as changing the seat position every hour or so in cruise. This may be more difficult if you have to deal with a hud projector immediately above your head. Also, if you don't already have one make sure you have a good headset, it's an incredibly loud cockpit.

Are you going to be commuting? If so, let me know if you need crash pad recommendations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

I’m sitting in LAX now. Ended up with a 4 day cold the 4 days I was here.

Why can’t I get sick the day before a trip instead? Because gently caress me, that’s why.

Yeah I got a weeklong rear end-kicking flu, I think I’m going to stick a pack of Clorox wipes in the flight bag from now on and ruthlessly disinfect airplanes before I fly them.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
JFC does the entire country have a 300’ ceiling right now? What splendid flying weather

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bob A Feet posted:

JFC does the entire country have a 300’ ceiling right now? What splendid flying weather

Yes, and Canada too! At least the part of it I’m in.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob A Feet posted:

At least it’s bumpy as hell, too.

I’d like to take a moment to say to the flight crew of the 737-900 going into Fort Myers that checked in out of 25 for 24, doing 479 across the ground with the overspeed clacker going off in the backround:

:black101:

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I’d like to take a moment to say to the flight crew of the 737-900 going into Fort Myers that checked in out of 25 for 24, doing 479 across the ground with the overspeed clacker going off in the backround:

SWA?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

That’s implied. :colbert:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
SWA doesn’t fly 737-900s :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PT6A posted:

Yes, and Canada too! At least the part of it I’m in.

I haven't gone flying since before Thanksgiving and it loving sucks

140500Z AUTO 19004KT 2SM BR OVC003 13/13 A3012 RMK AO2 P0001 my rear end

:mad:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

https://speedtape-airlines-pilot-shop.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/just-asap-it-crew-bag-sticker

Hello fellow LAX 737 FO:hfive:. For what it's worth I'm 6'4" and "goon sized." The 737 cockpit isn't as bad as people have made it out to be but it's certainly the least comfortable jet cockpit I've been in. Spending about 5 minutes doing leg and back stretches before leaving the hotel/house seems to help, as well as changing the seat position every hour or so in cruise. This may be more difficult if you have to deal with a hud projector immediately above your head. Also, if you don't already have one make sure you have a good headset, it's an incredibly loud cockpit.

Are you going to be commuting? If so, let me know if you need crash pad recommendations.

I am going to be commuting although I may be commuting to a line right away? It's crazy times right now. But I would take crashpad recs anyway, especially since I'll be getting trips that aren't commutable on one end. I have a uflymic, but I may upgrade to the A20, idk. I'm only 5'7", hopefully it's not too bad.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

I didn't hear it but I think we were following them. We landed in RSW around 1800 and there was an airplane from an airline with -900s that we got sequenced behind because we were kinda slow.

Also, can confirm the WX was crap today. Out of our 7 hours of flying about 6.5 was in IMC with terrible rides to boot.

Slaughter I'll send you a PM at some point tomorrow.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Flying tomorrow, first time in over a month... TAF is 2sm, 1500', mist and snow. Yeah, okay, probably not flying. FML

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah man. Had to cancel my entire weekend cause I couldn’t get out yesterday. Nothing says great training like flying instruments with an initial instrument student at loving minimums

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/eatu0a/aita_for_not_giving_my_obese_friend_a_plane_ride/

quote:

AITA for not giving my obese friend a plane ride?

Well, today I had to break some tough news to a friend of mine. He weight a little over 400 and has rapidly declining health. He is in his mid 30s. Hes not doing to well and is having a midlife crisis thinking he wont be around that much longer. I assume theres more going on due to his weight and I am not going to prod. Anyways, I'm a pilot and have a 172A (4 seater Cessna). He has wanted to fly for a while, hes never been in a plane, let alone take the controls of one. He has been asking me and I told him I needed to look into some things and I would let him know. Well after doing some math, with his weight and size it would not be safe. Hes too large, not only weight wise but I dont thing he could fit inside the plane. Its tight. I looked into putting him in the back two seats but the weight and balance just will not work out in a way I'm comfortable with. For anyone who's not aviation savvy, the way you balance and distribute the weight onboarding the plane is very important and can mean life or death if you over load with fuel, passengers and luggage. Well today I had to break it to him. And hes devestated. If he could motivate himself to lose weight I would gladly take him up and even let him fly. But I dont think he took it that way. I am worried that him knowing hes to big to safely fly in a plane will make his depression 10x worse. But I cant take risks like that. And it sucks. I told him I would see about finding someone with a private jet he could get on, but he would not be able to fly it.

Anyways, I feel aweful. But.... yeah. I told.him that if he could use this as a way to motivated him, he would get free lessons from me if I get my CFI. But I have a ways to go before that.

Edit: I almost knew immediately that there was no way it would work, but atleast I tried to make it work with fiddling fuel load etc. But there was no way possible I could get anywhere near safe load. I hope he uses this as a means of change

Yarrrr, the laws of science be a harsh mistress.

I did get to fly today! Squeezed in 12 laps in the pattern in the morning while it was lovely and calm with a broken sky at 3000. Then it started gusting to 30kt and tomorrow it's supposed to rain again. Finally :wooper:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I haven’t flown in nearly 12 days. I haven’t shaved in nearly 12 days, dealt with the TSA in 12 days, slept in my own bed for 12 days, and saw my daughter for 12 days. Feeling pretty good about all that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I’ve flown six times in two days and signed out two solos, and furthermore I’ve flown exclusively with students I believe should actually obtain a license, it’s a Festivus miracle!

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Reserve beard is the greatest beard.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Two Kings posted:

Reserve beard is the greatest beard.

Nah, feral instructor beard is the greatest beard.

You can tell who’s interviewing, and who’s in this poo poo for the long term :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’m scheduled to fly 24 hours this month with 16 days off. :c00lbert:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
A few days ago I signed an offer from Big Red, you know, the Major from up north with a big ole' maple leaf on the tail. Late January start. I'm still in a bit of shock that its time...

I did my Intro Flight just about 9 years ago "just for fun," became a part-time flight instructor "as a hobby," and eventually decided to abandon my reasonably successful career to give aviation a go about 4 years ago. At the time, I said to myself "in 10 years I will look back on this as the smartest, or the stupidest, thing I've ever done." Never did I imagine I'd be here so soon. What a ride it's been though. I've taught more people than I can count to fly. I've cashed <$20 paycheques. I've flown a plane known as the "widowmaker" (the MU2) on MEDEVAC missions, I've had "wtf am I doing with my life" moments thousands of miles from anyone or thing I care about. I've been able to fly and then Captain an RJ around the continent. And I've made some downright legendary friends along the way.

I'm being a bit sappy, sue me, but this whole thing started when I was bored in my cubicle one day and Googled "[local] flight schools." And now I'm on the eve of starting the job I dreamed of as a kid. I've been in this thread more or less since the beginning, at times more active than others, but all y'all were part of the ride!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
That’s a cool story and transition man. Congratulations!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

N6ZQ landed.

If you haven't seen/followed its pretty crazy what he did. I got to hear him on the radio and gave him a shout out.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Desi posted:

A few days ago I signed an offer from Big Red, you know, the Major from up north with a big ole' maple leaf on the tail. Late January start. I'm still in a bit of shock that its time...

I did my Intro Flight just about 9 years ago "just for fun," became a part-time flight instructor "as a hobby," and eventually decided to abandon my reasonably successful career to give aviation a go about 4 years ago. At the time, I said to myself "in 10 years I will look back on this as the smartest, or the stupidest, thing I've ever done." Never did I imagine I'd be here so soon. What a ride it's been though. I've taught more people than I can count to fly. I've cashed <$20 paycheques. I've flown a plane known as the "widowmaker" (the MU2) on MEDEVAC missions, I've had "wtf am I doing with my life" moments thousands of miles from anyone or thing I care about. I've been able to fly and then Captain an RJ around the continent. And I've made some downright legendary friends along the way.

I'm being a bit sappy, sue me, but this whole thing started when I was bored in my cubicle one day and Googled "[local] flight schools." And now I'm on the eve of starting the job I dreamed of as a kid. I've been in this thread more or less since the beginning, at times more active than others, but all y'all were part of the ride!

That is very well deserved, congratulations

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

N6ZQ landed.

If you haven't seen/followed its pretty crazy what he did. I got to hear him on the radio and gave him a shout out.

Holy crap, he did a South Africa to San Juan nonstop leg in a single engine piston. Massive balls.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Desi posted:

That’s awesome, congratulations! I started the “oh hey I’ll do this as a hobby” stage around 3 years ago, so hopefully in another six years or so I’ll be making a similar post.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Tomorrow is fighting fires and going down the slide day, weeee!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Tfw the plane you’re going to operate is coming from the city you just commuted from two hours ago.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So my cold turned out to be a sinus infection.

Bad news, I have a sinus infection.

Good news, like an hour after I reported it to the boss man a trip popped up and I got to say ooooh nahhhh.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Slaughter posted:

Tomorrow is fighting fires and going down the slide day, weeee!

Do you get to go for a swim and climb into the raft as well? Depending on how many people are in your class and how big your rafts are you're going to get to know your classmates way more than you ever wanted to.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Had some decent weather today so I went up and drew my first AirDong.

Could be better, could be worse, we'll see what else I get into drawing over the holidays!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Could be better, could be worse, we'll see what else I get into drawing over the holidays!

I'll wave next time I'm in LA

edit: Compton? How often are you fixing bullet holes?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Drawin dongs, straight outta compton. Feels good to be a gangster?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how the heck does LA have a two-runway untowered airport hanging out 2 miles south of the LAX surface area :psyduck:

e: i guess joke's on me, after looking at some charts, and realizing that KHAF is also only about 2 miles away from the SFO surface area and most of the Bravos have at least one untowered field very nearby. Just seems kinda crazy with the amount of traffic around there

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 19, 2019

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

It's not as bad as you would think. All of the runways are facing the same direction so their departure/arrival paths don't cross, it's inside a mode C veil so everyone theoretically has a transponder, everyone inside the bravo is talking to socal, and unless they're living under a rock the size of Mt. Everest everyone knows that there's heavy traffic and weird airspace around LAX. What scares me a lot more is the area just outside big airspace complexes where airliners are low enough to conflict with VFR traffic but there aren't the same protections you have in or near class B airspace. Lake Michigan turns into a bit of an airplane supercollider around Oshkosh because center doesn't have the capacity to all the people requesting flight following over the lake as the fly across ORD's 40 mile long final(s).

Oh and the airspace from IAD to BOS is basically just a giant TCAS testing range.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Class C and D airports with Final Approach Fixes outside of the surface area (most of them) are far worse.

Don't need to talk or squawk to hang out on the final at intercept altitude and get in everyone's way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

It's not as bad as you would think. All of the runways are facing the same direction so their departure/arrival paths don't cross, it's inside a mode C veil so everyone theoretically has a transponder, everyone inside the bravo is talking to socal, and unless they're living under a rock the size of Mt. Everest everyone knows that there's heavy traffic and weird airspace around LAX. What scares me a lot more is the area just outside big airspace complexes where airliners are low enough to conflict with VFR traffic but there aren't the same protections you have in or near class B airspace. Lake Michigan turns into a bit of an airplane supercollider around Oshkosh because center doesn't have the capacity to all the people requesting flight following over the lake as the fly across ORD's 40 mile long final(s).

Oh and the airspace from IAD to BOS is basically just a giant TCAS testing range.

Let me tell you about almost daily RA’s with MD-88s and A32xs because we have to deliver PGD landers to Fort Myers approach at three thousand goddamned feet. Oh ya, and PGD doesn’t have a Charlie, or a mode C veil. And over a million point two pax a year.

Management: :tif:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

So when I get cleared to some fix halfway across the country in the middle of the day how are you ATC types doing that?

Edit: The NTSB just released the docket containing all the stuff they collected from Atlas 3591. Including the FOs training records. They’re not good.

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/NR20191219.aspx

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 19, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there a high level summary for those of us who don't want to read 3000 pages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arson Daily posted:

So when I get cleared to some fix halfway across the country in the middle of the day how are you ATC types doing that?

I wish I knew. ZJX has one of the most restrictive LOA’s with ZMA I’ve ever seen between centers. I can’t go further than ~20nm outside my airspace in most situations.