Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Davros1 posted:

Didn't Nigel suffer numerous arm injuries due to performing the lariat?

Lariats were his entire moveset when he was ROH champion; it's probably not as bad when you only throw one a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I'd think the majority of pro wrestling moves will take a toll on your body if you do them often enough. Same as how you don't want to lift weights with the same part of your body every day.

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.

Lamuella posted:

Johnny Saint, whose style has a LOT of crossover with ZSJ, was still having 15 minute against the likes of Johnny Kidd and Mike Quackenbush until he was seventy.

I think that's part of why Suzuki is still able to go so well and still be believable and probably still will be able to for a while. Outside of the stiff strikes his actual working style seems pretty safe on his body overall. That combined with his aura and history make him the ideal candidate for the scary loving old guy who can still more than hold his own.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Diar posted:

I think that's part of why Suzuki is still able to go so well and still be believable and probably still will be able to for a while. Outside of the stiff strikes his actual working style seems pretty safe on his body overall. That combined with his aura and history make him the ideal candidate for the scary loving old guy who can still more than hold his own.

Aside from the dropkick, the hanging guillotine over the ropes and the odd insanity like him busting out La Mistica on Okada before their London match just to set up a tease before the tombstone, I'd have a hard time thinking of poo poo he does that has him even leave the ground.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On the topic of Jericho's moveset, I totally forgot he used to do a double powerbomb. Why in the world did he do that? He has several books, right? Does he ever got into why he, a pretty tiny cruiserweight-y dude, used such a blatant power move?

Slamming somebody down and lifting them up with obvious effort is the kinda thing I'd expect to see out of guys with 100 pounds more muscle than Chris Jericho.

Maybe he's like Bret Hart and deceptively strong, I dunno.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NikkolasKing posted:

On the topic of Jericho's moveset, I totally forgot he used to do a double powerbomb. Why in the world did he do that? He has several books, right? Does he ever got into why he, a pretty tiny cruiserweight-y dude, used such a blatant power move?

Slamming somebody down and lifting them up with obvious effort is the kinda thing I'd expect to see out of guys with 100 pounds more muscle than Chris Jericho.

Maybe he's like Bret Hart and deceptively strong, I dunno.

Well, when he was wrestling other cruiserweights it made sense, plus it was dope when he'd transition into the Liontamer from the second power bomb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The WCW cruiserweights did a lot of power moves.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Aphrodite posted:

The WCW cruiserweights did a lot of power moves.

Significantly easier to believe when wrestling someone the size of Rey or Juvi.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It does lead to fun things like Eddie murdering Rey with a powerbomb

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
You can't powerbomb Kidman!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moe_Rahn posted:

You can't powerbomb Kidman!
I miss DDT Digest.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t another reason Liger had to slow down due to his brain tumor? And after he came back from that started working a bit more power-style?

Also I believe Minoru Suzuki is still the guy touring with NJPW who’s on nightly “stretch the young boys” duty pre-show, dude is just an animal even in his 50s.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

anakha posted:

Someone like ZSJ might be able to wrestle into his senior years given his style. gently caress impact finishers, just tie your opponent into a pretzel.

Yoshiaki Fujiwara still going strong at 70 so undoubtedly.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember that someone here (or in the WCW thread?) talked about growing up watching wrestling in Europe and how the French announce team was checked-out, generally terrible, and repeated the same bits over and over.

I can't imagine that a bored sportscaster saying "Ooh la la" every time a woman appears could be 1% as bad as hearing Lawler shriek THE PUPPIES!!! THE PUPPIES!!! over and over year after year

Eurosport had NJPW in the 90s and TNA in the 00s. both commented on in Dutch by the same guy who did all the other 2nd tier programming on the channel.
I think he regretted his choice of career during those hours.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, everybody knows that you can't powerbomb Kidman. But the only thing I remember from GAB was Hogan attempting a powerbomb for probably the first and only time in his career.
Did he actually powerbomb Kidman? I can't remember that part.

Hogan really needed to wrestler smaller guys in his heel run. Watching him do offense while he was in nWo reminds you that 100% of Hogan's offense was built around playing to the crowd and once he couldn't do that...ech. Maybe if he could have bullied smaller workers instead of people his size/bigger than him. Of course that would have required feeding cruisers to Hogan and who wants that?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 18, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My brain is short circuiting trying to picture either Hogan successfully executing a powerbomb, or Hogan successfully taking a rana

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Kidman reversed the powerbomb into a facebuster, not a rana.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jesus WEP posted:

My brain is short circuiting trying to picture either Hogan successfully executing a powerbomb, or Hogan successfully taking a rana

All I could find is Hogan taking a powerbomb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhIFGC482nU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Kidman reversed the powerbomb into a facebuster, not a rana.
:cripes: gently caress

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

The only bombs Hogan executed were in the box office. Zing!

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember that someone here (or in the WCW thread?) talked about growing up watching wrestling in Europe and how the French announce team was checked-out, generally terrible, and repeated the same bits over and over.

I can't imagine that a bored sportscaster saying "Ooh la la" every time a woman appears could be 1% as bad as hearing Lawler shriek THE PUPPIES!!! THE PUPPIES!!! over and over year after year

That was me in the previous version of this thread. It wasn't quite the way you remember it. Here's what I wrote back then.

Bad Wolf posted:

Well, I can talk about Belgium a bit. Wrestling (WWF anyway) used to be pretty big. you could watch the weekly shows and even the PPV's for free on Eurosports in the late 80s/early 90s. And weekly (dubbed) shows on one Belgian, french speaking channel. If you went up to most people on the streets, they'd be able to tell you what a Hulk Hogan is. Even non-wrestling fans would know some of the others, like "that police guy" (Big Boss Man).

Then, mostly due to Eurosports dissappearing/rebranding, wrestling wasn't on TV anymore, unless you had satelite TV and could watch UK channels.

Over the years, some wrestling programs reappeared, to no success. WCW Worldwide for a few months on a Belgian, flemish-speaking channel, TNA on the new Eurosports.

Flash-forward to a few years ago, and going on to the present day. The WWE was/is back... Sort of. No PPV's, free or otherwise on TV. The only way to see them is to buy the DVDs. For watching WWE television, you have two choices, assuming you have digital TV (basic cable is dying so nothing there). Eurosports gives you "This Week in WWE" a short show with highlights for Raw/Smackdown, on a two-week delay, as well as "The Vintage Collection" showing matches from the 80s through to the early 00s. Eurosports has the nice feature of being able to choose weither to watch in english (jay) or dubbed dutch (boo). The drawback is you only get highlights from Raw/SD, not the full shows.

Now I said you had two choices, so here's number two. Hoo boy. You can watch the full Raw and SD shows, barring some cutting when they're three hour shows. They are, like the Eurosport show, on a two-week delay. Here's the catch : They are shown on a Belgian, french-speaking channel. This means they're "dubbed", in Belgian french. With no option to watch in English. Now, I can understand french, so that's not the problem. The problem is why I put "dubbed" instead of dubbed. Let me paint you the painful picture of what it's like.

You have two announcers who do the whole show. I hate these people. The way it works is simple, yet annoying. You can still hear anything that's said on the show in english, except the announce team (cole/King etc). However, everything that's said gets translated by the french-speaking announcers in real time. So you'd have, I dunno, HHH on the mick talking poo poo about the Undertaker, when at the same time you hear these guys translate what he's saying. The french is louder than the english. You try to tune one out in your head, but the other keeps cutting in, leading to you thinking the people of Babel had it loving easy.

So there's that. When there's an actual match, you don't hear the original announce team, you only hear the french guys, they do their own commentary, except, for some goddamn reason, when the camera cuts to Cole/King and the double-speak begins anew. These french guys, and this is one of the reasons I hate them, have running gags. Oh God do they have running gags.

- Every time, and I do mean every time, somebody gets tossed over the top rope, they shout, in unison, "PAR DE-SUS LA TROISIEME CORD". ("Over the top rope")
- Every time, and I do mean every time, a midly attractive woman is shown in the crowd, one of them uses a creepy voice and says "Hello to you", in english.
- They seem to have cut this one out, but it used to be, a lot of the time when there was a two-count, one of them would go "simplement deeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuux" ("simply twoooooooooooooo"), holding the last part for-loving-ever.
- Every time they show a match "from the vaults", an old WWE match to fill time, one of them uses an old-man voice and rambles about how there's now a match from when he was young (2008) for you young whippersnappers who never seen this before.

But all that isn't the worst thing. You wanna know the worst thing? I said they translate in real time. They do voices. They. do. voices. And the worst of the worst? They do female voices too. Every time a Diva is talking, they'll talk over her using a high-pitched, girly squeely voice. Imagine Vicky coming out, saying "Excuse me!". Imagine, immediatly after, a grown-rear end man shrieking "Excusez-Moi!" at me. Every. Single. Time.

Hate. I hate these guys. I hate them with the buring passion of a thousand supernovas. Why do I watch this poo poo?

OK, that was less a state of wrestling in Europe and more an angry rant that's been a long time coming. Wrestling today is certainly less known than it was in the late 80s/early 90s, but it's on TV, there are DVD's and toys in shops and the WWE comes on a tour once or twice a year. There are one or two local feds, but they're never on TV, and only mentioned in the press if there happens to be an article on american wrestling.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

All I could find is Hogan taking a powerbomb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhIFGC482nU

Hogan's lucky Vader was such a loving hoss since Hogan barely even tried getting up for this.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hogan's lucky Vader was such a loving hoss since Hogan barely even tried getting up for this.

Has Hogan ever given someone help when they were supposed to pick him up?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

harperdc posted:

Also I believe Minoru Suzuki is still the guy touring with NJPW who’s on nightly “stretch the young boys” duty pre-show, dude is just an animal even in his 50s.

He is, and Don Callis is legitimately afraid of him after seeing him do it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has Hogan ever given someone help when they were supposed to pick him up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfqV3xI8l_s

I doubt it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
has there ever been anything said on WWE television that's funnier than "BIG UPS to my boys limp bizkit"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don’t think Hogan was lucky there, he pretty clearly was angling for a much lighter landing and Vader just noped him into the full impact

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

has there ever been anything said on WWE television that's funnier than "BIG UPS to my boys limp bizkit"

"Tomko, drop me a beat." "No."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Luther Reigns angrily pointing out that he's eaten peas at least once, as a way to somehow tie into his former, rough life as a convict.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I had Wrestlemania X-7 on video when I was a kid and sadly they cut out Heyman's BIG UPS to Limp Bizkit. :(

They also cut out Heenan's "It's great to be back at Wrestlemania, Tony" gag. It was weird because even though they also cut out Mean Gene sputtering "Tony!?" in response, they left in him saying "Are you puttin' me on??". That confused the hell out of me back then.

What are some other random wrestling edits that are rarely talked about?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had Wrestlemania X-7 on video when I was a kid and sadly they cut out Heyman's BIG UPS to Limp Bizkit. :(

They also cut out Heenan's "It's great to be back at Wrestlemania, Tony" gag. It was weird because even though they also cut out Mean Gene sputtering "Tony!?" in response, they left in him saying "Are you puttin' me on??". That confused the hell out of me back then.

What are some other random wrestling edits that are rarely talked about?

I posted this in the main WWE thread the other day

https://twitter.com/PWUnlimited/status/1206707645005983746?s=20

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
If Corpus Christi is so widely known to be a terrible crowd, why do companies keep going there? Do the tickets sell well?

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

The Lord of Hats posted:

If Corpus Christi is so widely known to be a terrible crowd, why do companies keep going there? Do the tickets sell well?

I think cause it's dirt cheap to run there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This is an edit for the better, but I remember the shot of Daniel Bryan holding up both belts at the end of Wrestlemania XXX being completely obscured by a guy with a giant sign in the original broadcast.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Lord of Hats posted:

I feel like this is AEW trying to prove that there are no bad towns/crowds, just towns/crowds who won't cheer for the same bullshit they've been getting for 20 years.

Wasn't Pittsburgh also known as a "notoriously bad crowd" town and they were super pumped for Dynamite the entire show?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

I posted this in the main WWE thread the other day

https://twitter.com/PWUnlimited/status/1206707645005983746?s=20

I can't believe I keep being surprised by how incredibly petty they are.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ganso Bomb posted:

I feel like this is AEW trying to prove that there are no bad towns/crowds, just towns/crowds who won't cheer for the same bullshit they've been getting for 20 years.

Wasn't Pittsburgh also known as a "notoriously bad crowd" town and they were super pumped for Dynamite the entire show?
You're correct! We'll see if the trend holds up, because if AEW can make the worst wrestling crowd hot as gently caress, I mean, come on.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Jerusalem posted:

Especially because he’s not even going by Dean Ambrose in AEW .

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

I don't care how bad Hogan and the Warrior objectively were - I marked like a six year old for that clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Can't wait until the technology gets good enough so they can just completely replace him with another wrestler using CGI.

"It's the SHIELD! Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, and Baron Corbin!"