Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

SpaceDrake posted:

Kylo is a highly interesting idea - a Skywalker kid getting obsessed with grandpa in a way that turns him into basically a mirror of an obsessive star wars fan - and then each filmmaker had no idea what to do with him. He's the sequels in microcosm.

I find it tired and not interesting.

It could be interesting maybe...3..or 4 generations down the line.

But literally the first new one? Smells like bullshit to me honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sean10mm posted:

Do you not get why listening to someone whine is grating? :confused:

I didn't find Anakin whiny, which is why the thing is hilarious to me.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I Would be gay for hayden in episode 3

I would not be gay for adam driver in any movie, ever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Taintrunner posted:

He survived. He was alive the entire time. Nobody had any idea any of this was happening. Correct.

I think that is the biggest thing that kills the Sequel Trilogy, is that everyone acts like a loving idiot for the sake of the plot. Compare that, to say, when Vader boards the Tantive IV at the beginning of A New Hope - who acts like a serious commander in charge of the situation.

They made this even better with Rogue One like HE LITERALLY JUST WATCHED THAT DUDE GRAB THE PLANS AND RUN LIKE ONE MINUTE AGO of course he's throwing these chumps around and at the end of his patience from the get go when that guy opens up with them being on a diplomatic trip lol

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So from what ive seen an initial RT score drops 15-20% after a week or two of release.

Has a Star Wars ever gotten below 50? Lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Neo Rasa posted:

They made this even better with Rogue One like HE LITERALLY JUST WATCHED THAT DUDE GRAB THE PLANS AND RUN LIKE ONE MINUTE AGO of course he's throwing these chumps around and at the end of his patience from the get go when that guy opens up with them being on a diplomatic trip lol

I like that he uses the Force and slaughters a bunch of armed Rebel troops, then gets to the Tantive IV and is like "You know what, Storm Troopers, you got this. You go first."

Wild Horses posted:

I would not be gay for adam driver in any movie, ever.

Every time he speaks it sounds like he's trying to talk through a yawn.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So from what ive seen an initial RT score drops 15-20% after a week or two of release.

Has a Star Wars ever gotten below 50? Lol

Clone Wars animated is 18%. Phantom Menace is 51

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Davros1 posted:

Funny thing is when I press people why they don't like that Anakin is whiny, the convo usually goes something like this:

Them: Anakin was awful, he was too whiny!
Me: Why's that a problem?
T: Uh, that's not how he's supposed to be?
M: What do you mean by, "supposed to be?"

and inevitably, the answer is something along the lines of "Well, that's not how I imagined Anakin to be!"

That's why the same people have no problem with Kylo being so whiny, because they had no preconceived idea how this new character was going to act.

its less that he is whiny and more the script is awful and hayden can't pull off being a hosed up 20 something who got hosed over a ton. it doesnt help that you keep getting TOLD that anakin is this and him and obi wan are friends but outside the cartoon, you dont see it. like clone wars anakin is great and you see how he could fall to the dark side in tragic manner. kylo is movie anakin done better.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

riseofmydick posted:

I find it tired and not interesting.

It could be interesting maybe...3..or 4 generations down the line.

But literally the first new one? Smells like bullshit to me honestly.

Appropriately, it's like a Disney sequel where the kids of the original movie's protagonists redo the same plot.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

riseofmydick posted:

I must be weird because I think Kylo/Ben are the worst loving part of TFA and the whole thing is telegraphed from a mile away.

I remember people hating Anakin's portrayal in the prequels because he was too whiny, and then they brought back a character who's the exact same loving thing and It really is loving poo poo.

Kylo/Ren do not interest me at all in this series. The only way to make them interesting at all (and even then it was dumb) is to have them as like twin emperors or something.

The issues with this movie and TLJ are still down to the fact that TFA is a lovely, lovely film, and bad remake of ANH.

Literally everything in the drat thing except Finn is unsalvageable. The whole plot line doesn't make sense as a sequel to ROTJ.

:same:, to be honest

I hated TFA because it was incredibly predictable and derivative. New protagonist is a nobody on a desert planet. New antagonist is literally a Vader fanboy. Finn was the only interesting character, and seeing him get turned into a joke sucked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

:same:, to be honest

I hated TFA because it was incredibly predictable and derivative. New protagonist is a nobody on a desert planet. New antagonist is literally a Vader fanboy. Finn was the only interesting character, and seeing him get turned into a joke sucked.

well i agree about finn. its clear he was supposed to be a full protag status with rey but lol nope.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Taintrunner posted:

I think that is the biggest thing that kills the Sequel Trilogy, is that everyone acts like a loving idiot for the sake of the plot. Compare that, to say, when Vader boards the Tantive IV at the beginning of A New Hope - who acts like a serious commander in charge of the situation.

Even The Last Jedi is really, really bad about this.

The entire conflict between Poe and Holdo makes no sense on its face and requires everyone to be a huge moron rear end in a top hat... just because? They just made Poe way more of a dumb jerk than he ever was in The Force Awakens seemingly out of nowhere, just so he could mutiny against a character who is literally just there so he can argue with her and then she kills herself. There's the kernel of a good idea there but how they went about it was just baffling.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

The OT isn't purposeless. It's still the only good star wars trilogy.

I know, I'm just saying, decisions made for this trilogy cheapen some of it

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its less that he is whiny and more the script is awful and hayden can't pull off being a hosed up 20 something who got hosed over a ton.

Shattered Glass and Life As a House would indicate otherwise.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam Driver is a god!!!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I just want lightsaber. That’s all I care about. More lightsaber

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Can someone who has seen this movie confirm if Leia just dies offscreen for *reasons*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

than its all the script than because he and portman are horrible in those movies.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The kind of wood chipper bait bluechecks who wrote for outlets like GeekBomb and PopCum seem to like it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

than its all the script than because he and portman are horrible in those movies.

Also George can't direct actors worth poo poo.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

theblackw0lf posted:

Good for those movies I guess, too bad that means nothing if he’s not acting well in the prequels (which he isn’t).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Also George can't direct actors worth poo poo.

that too. i grew up with the prequels and while i respect what they tried to do. they are still pretty dumb bad movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OlKmoApdok&t

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

SpaceDrake posted:

At least in The Old Republic MMO they meticulously set up why there was a sudden surprise secret empire and when you actually play as the non-force-sensitives on that side, there's some interesting stories about how, in fact, that hosed up a lot of the people involved and is a kind of neat example of fantasy-fascist-stand-in leaders inventing grievance to solidify loyalty and a power base.

Man, I really want to replay the Agent's storyline now.

Hopefully we get an Old Republic film now that Disney is probably relieved to get rid of the ST anchor from their neck. Remove Kathleen Kennedy and give Jon Favreau $300 mil to start planning something new and give him creative freedom.

gently caress it, go even further back and let's see the beginning of the Jedi before they even come up with the name.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Kind of sad when game developers are writing better stories than film creators for Star Wars.

(KOTOR 2 is the best star wars story since ROTJ)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SyRauk posted:

give Jon Favreau $300 mil to start planning something new and give him creative freedom..

That’s def happening (again) if he wants to do it

Disney LOVES Favreau

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Kind of sad when game developers are writing better stories than film creators for Star Wars.

Yes, and funnily enough TLJ flirts with the same themes KOTOR2 did just long enough to tantalize you before it all falls apart

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you think giving Favreau the reins is gonna save star wars then you have learned exactly the wrong lesson from all this

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

yeah. as simple and as weirdly paced as it is. fallen orders story is pretty drat good too. it did the lesson the TLJ was doing better than the TLJ.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you think giving Favreau the reins is gonna save star wars then you have learned exactly the wrong lesson from all this

sure but at least it will be fun.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'm glad that Ben got to first base, a fitting end to the Skywalker saga.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

make david lynch do a star war

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but at least it will be fun.

Favreau also probably likes video games and would encourage Disney to start making more of them especially now that Fallen Order sold like crazy. I don't know if KK was in charge of those decisions but she seems like the kind of mom who called everything a Nintendo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Favreau is my most hated director (based on output, I hate the known rapist ones more overall obviously)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mulva posted:

I'm glad that Ben got to first base, a fitting end to the Skywalker saga.

He died from cumming too hard after finally getting that smooch

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pick posted:

Favreau is my most hated director (based on output, I hate the known rapist ones more overall obviously)

How can you not like Elf???

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Too bad it's gonna happen anyway. Especially if they do a Mandalorian movie and it does well.

Favreau is competent, can get poo poo done under budget, works well with Feige, and has enough experience with the MCU wrangling that he can probably push back on the stupider executive requirements and get a bit more breathing room to do his thing. Whether or not whatever story he ends up going with will be engaging or entertaining or at least better than the mess the sequels turned out to be...well, he can't really do that much worse.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've now seen it. It's not a total disaster but man, it's not good.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

SyRauk posted:

Favreau also probably likes video games and would encourage Disney to start making more of them especially now that Fallen Order sold like crazy. I don't know if KK was in charge of those decisions but she seems like the kind of mom who called everything a Nintendo.

EA owns the license to star wars for video games and they'd been loving it up for years before Fallen Order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm ready for a fresh round of webcomic hot takes on star wars