Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Charitably, it seems totally ambiguous how he came back. Maybe he was just resurrected by somebody else without his advance knowledge, hence operation hot zone kill kind of making sense??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

riseofmydick posted:

Can someone please explain to me how the gently caress Palpatine makes any sense in light of the concept that Battlefront 2 pushes and seems to be proper cannon. That he had a bunch of clones ready as a deadman's switch to launch a broadcast, Operation: Cinder which was:

"a plan devised by Emperor Palpatine to ensure that the Empire and its enemies did not outlive him should he ever perish."

Dude wanted to destroy all these planets and the empire and rebellion if he were to die.

This makes no sense with him coming back at all.

The Story Group was a lie invented by Disney's marketing department to make hardcore fans believe that buying every single comic, book, and video game was more important than ever.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

riseofmydick posted:

Can someone please explain to me how the gently caress Palpatine makes any sense in light of the concept that Battlefront 2 pushes and seems to be proper cannon. That he had a bunch of clones ready as a deadman's switch to launch a broadcast, Operation: Cinder which was:

"a plan devised by Emperor Palpatine to ensure that the Empire and its enemies did not outlive him should he ever perish."

Dude wanted to destroy all these planets and the empire and rebellion if he were to die.

This makes no sense with him coming back at all.

He’s playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers I guess

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lol what the gently caress

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Operation:_Cinder

Beeez
May 28, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

I think iit's more the idea that while theoretically anyone could use the force, certain people were stronger because of heritage.

Rey being possibly the strongest force user changes that .

Does it? Does Einstein not being the son of Isaac Newton prove that anyone could come up with equations describing general relativity? She's still depicted as the Force equivalent of a super-genius, whether or not she's related to Luke doesn't change that. If anything, characters like Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Palpatine made it clear you don't have to be a Skywalker to be powerful, and the sequels actually make a bigger deal of "power" as something that automatically makes you important.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i want an apocalypse now era francis ford coppola star wars

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
something Palpatine planned it so no matter what happened he won something something

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Dear Disney, please hire Tommy Wiseau to direct the next Star Wars trilogy. I guarantee it will be better than this poo poo sandwich.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The Star Wars Spoiler Thread: The Demise of Skywalker

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe snoke resurrected him, and then he took over snoke. Whatever

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Horizon Burning posted:

THE STORY GROUP hosed US ALL CURSE YOU PABLO

HEY REMEMBER WHEN THIS HAPPENED

OH MAN OH MAN

You actually really need to watch the Star Wars Explained video. It's loving batshit that this is part of the story now, and literally nobody talks about it. Should start around 2:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUEGD_PW-2k&t=154s

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Beeez posted:

Does it? Does Einstein not being the son of Isaac Newton prove that anyone could come up with equations describing general relativity? She's still depicted as the Force equivalent of a super-genius, whether or not she's related to Luke doesn't change that. If anything, characters like Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Palpatine made it clear you don't have to be a Skywalker to be powerful, and the sequels actually make a bigger deal of "power" as something that automatically makes you important.

Yea that's true.

I think it's more that her non-origin can be more inspirational for others.

"I'm a nobody yet I'm the current most powerful force user in existence" is a bit more inspirational than "I came from a family of the most powerful force users ever. But don't worry you can becomes just as powerful as I" doesn't exactly create the same inspiration.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Is Disney still even pretending they have a "story group"?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

Funny because one of the reasons Empire almost didn't get finished (at least not without Lucas having to surrender control to 20th Century Fox) is precisely because Kurtz was a pathological introvert/pushover who basically never even interacted with Kershner, and as a result Kershner was constantly running into problems because he didn't know how to adapt his plodding, improvisational style with the practical realities of making a big budget special effects movie. The production only got back on track after Lucas fired Kurtz, flew over himself to supervise the production, and told Kershner to start shooting overall master shots for every scene--even if he ultimately wasn't going to use them--so everyone on the set wouldn't be in a constant state of confusion about what they were doing at any given moment.

Kurtz always liked to make it sound like it was him and Kershner together, down in the trenches fighting against a tyrannical, penny-pinching executive producer who just didn't care about the quality of the film. Here's the reality:

In contrast, here's what Kershner had to say about Lucas's involvement:

So, essentially, Lucas actually was pretty involved in supervising Kershner and revising things that needed to be revised, but doing so in a way where he wasn't being overbearing.

And in terms of Lucas's overall influence on the film, here's what Joe Johnston, the storyboard artist who worked with Lucas to plan the visual direction of the movie, had to say:

Pretty much everything Kurtz ever said about the situation on Empire was complete bullshit, and while it's true that Lucas had the least involvement with Empire, very technically speaking, and that this may have resulted in some more naturalistic performances and improved dialogue here and there, the idea that the movie was made better exactly in proportion to the degree of his neglect is a hard one to support.

whoa hes back

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Honestly, Star Wars lore would be better if Palpatine was treated as the ultimate opportunist. He's a Sith Lord who makes the most of what he's presented, rather than Evil Space Batman who has a contingency plan for everything.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This whole fiasco lies with Lucas. He was already a billionaire before the sale but I guess that wasn’t enough. He sold his crowning achievement to an evil media conglomerate.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

HEY REMEMBER WHEN THIS HAPPENED

OH MAN OH MAN

You actually really need to watch the Star Wars Explained video. It's loving batshit that this is part of the story now, and literally nobody talks about it. Should start around 2:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUEGD_PW-2k&t=154s

It's a shame canon obsessed Star Wars nerd ruined Pablo's twitter. His transformers drawings and barely concealed disdain for the TFA was always fun.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Funny because one of the reasons Empire almost didn't get finished (at least not without Lucas having to surrender control to 20th Century Fox) is precisely because Kurtz was a pathological introvert/pushover who basically never even interacted with Kershner, and as a result Kershner was constantly running into problems because he didn't know how to adapt his plodding, improvisational style with the practical realities of making a big budget special effects movie. The production only got back on track after Lucas fired Kurtz, flew over himself to supervise the production, and told Kershner to start shooting overall master shots for every scene--even if he ultimately wasn't going to use them--so everyone on the set wouldn't be in a constant state of confusion about what they were doing at any given moment.

Kurtz always liked to make it sound like it was him and Kershner together, down in the trenches fighting against a tyrannical, penny-pinching executive producer who just didn't care about the quality of the film. Here's the reality:

In contrast, here's what Kershner had to say about Lucas's involvement:

So, essentially, Lucas actually was pretty involved in supervising Kershner and revising things that needed to be revised, but doing so in a way where he wasn't being overbearing.

And in terms of Lucas's overall influence on the film, here's what Joe Johnston, the storyboard artist who worked with Lucas to plan the visual direction of the movie, had to say:

Pretty much everything Kurtz ever said about the situation on Empire was complete bullshit, and while it's true that Lucas had the least involvement with Empire, very technically speaking, and that this may have resulted in some more naturalistic performances and improved dialogue here and there, the idea that the movie was made better exactly in proportion to the degree of his neglect is a hard one to support.

The dead speak!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

God this is hard to watch. The music is boring and the way the scenes are framed is just lazy. I am embarrassed for whoever wrote that dialogue, good grief. Also lol at Rey doing Leia's "fly through space" move that pissed so many people off in TLJ.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I wonder whether Disney/Lucasfilm actually maintained some kind of pretense with the Story Group people themselves that they would have some real sway over the overall story. Or did they just sit them down, explain to them that they’d get some new titles as part of a marketing gimmick, and tell them to be good little soldiers?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So we know now that Rey is the granddaughter of Palpatine, but do we still not know who her parents are?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I said come in! posted:

So we know now that Rey is the granddaughter of Palpatine, but do we still not know who her parents are?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Triclops

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So is the movie good?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

Honestly, Star Wars lore would be better if Palpatine was treated as the ultimate opportunist. He's a Sith Lord who makes the most of what he's presented, rather than Evil Space Batman who has a contingency plan for everything.

This is how I’ve always read it, and I don’t think there’s anything in the movies to contradict that reading. Of course Palpatine always claims to have planned every step, but of course he would.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Amethyst posted:

guess all of the PR about loving Rian Johnson's movie was horseshit huh. Behind the scenes they were scrambling to undo everything he tried for lol

It’s like nobody was paying attention while RJ was making the movie and giving notes to ILM artists and then they saw it for the first time when it was already in theatres and too late to change :psyduck:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

I said come in! posted:

There's some spoiler clip floating around that briefly shows them with a young Rey.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Can someone who has seen this movie confirm if Leia just dies offscreen for *reasons*

She dies so she can distract Kylo so Rey can kill him.

Guess she didn't like him much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

So is the movie good?

lol no, the critic reviews are lukewarm at best.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bogus Adventure posted:

Neither of these fix the problem. Either Palpatine is the ultimate clairvoyant mastermind, or everyone else is so loving stupid to enable his ability to "opportune" his way to the top of the food chain. You have to remember, he's ordering around the Separatists as well as being in charge of the Republic during the Clone Wars.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Neither of these fix the problem. Either Palpatine is the ultimate clairvoyant mastermind, or everyone else is so loving stupid to enable his ability to "opportune" his way to the top of the food chain. You have to remember, he's ordering around the Separatists as well as being in charge of the Republic during the Clone Wars.

Why is the latter a problem, this happens all the time irl

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Have we all considered that Palpatine is a silly villain.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bogus Adventure posted:

its less of some batman deal and more of a "hitler wanted germany to die with him when he was in the bunker with a gun in his mouth" type deal but somewhat more planned out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You know considering everything, maybe we should have let Sheev just run things.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
He was just a "too evil even for Darth Vader" villain in ROTJ. The lovely prequels ruined him

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

parara posted:

Have we all considered that Palpatine is a silly villain.

By the sound of it, he's one of the only good things in the movie, while also being one of its worst things, which is the POWER OF PALPATINE

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Seyser Koze posted:

THE POWER OF PALPATINE

Huey Lewis hard at work on the soundtrack.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Seyser Koze posted:

By the sound of it, he's one of the only good things in the movie, while also being one of its worst things, which is the POWER OF PALPATINE

palpatine was always one of the best things about the movies especially the prequels. its hammy and fun evil bullshit.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

The vindication of Lucas and the Chad prequel-likers couldn’t have happened in a funnier way.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

nemesis_hub posted:

The vindication of Lucas and the Chad prequel-likers couldn’t have happened in a funnier way.

No you delusional weirdos are still bottom of the pile. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

thrawn527 posted:

Who's "they"? The poster in this thread?

Media and disney as damage control. Putting the blame on the consumers for their own shoddy management of their franchise.

nemesis_hub posted:

Truly patrician opinion.