Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
So when you initially learn the cross collar from guard typically:

* You learn it from closed guard
* You learn that it is the only submission from guard in which you can finish square to your opponent
* You get one cross grip in deep with 4 fingers inside (usually you'll want a little slack in order to get the second inside grip)
* The other hand comes into the collar with 4 fingers inside OR with the thumb inside
* You bring your elbows in to you while pulling your opponent in with your legs

Later you get more sophisticated so you learn:

* That second hand doesn't have to have any fingers or thumb inside. Instead you can just grab the fabric of the gi by the neck and finish
* Alternatively, you can get the first hand cross gripping with 4 fingers inside as before then grip thumb inside with your second hand next to your cross grip hand so both arms are on one side of the neck then loop your second arm over your opponent's head to get the cross collar choke

What I recently learned was as follows:

* You can finish from seated staggered butterfly
* You get a very deep cross collar grip with 4 fingers inside
* Angle away so you are facing the free side of the neck
* With your free arm forearm vertical (roughly "normal" to the plane of the floor) drive the blade of your wrist hard into the free side of the neck without a grip while pulling on the collar grip,
* When you have solid contact and tension with your free arm then grip whatever fabric is available without changing the arm position
* Pull your elbows inward toward your hips to close up your arms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Ah right. Whenever I do this from butterfly I end up with at least an easy sweep when their hands come up to defend

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No love for the thumb-in cross collar choke?

I mean

Nice. I think I can visualize it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah we've been learning to push them away with the cross collar grip + legs to expose the neck, but haven't been attempting from butterfly. Thanks for the write up Yuns

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
That second hand comes in hard almost like karate chopping the side of the neck. If the hands come up to defend then you can drag/sweep etc. The learning for me was not angling to expose the neck. The key was not rushing the second grip and instead focusing on driving the blade in hard first then opportunistically gripping anything.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 19, 2019

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Going to be out in Denver for New Years for about a week. Any grapplegoons out there want to roll? And does anyone have any suggestions for a place to drop in a couple of times? I was thinking of trying the 10th planet there, as I've never actually been to one.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

do the joint pains ever go away? I'm currently taking classes 5 times a week and after 3 classes my joints are pretty achey.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Verisimilidude posted:

do the joint pains ever go away? I'm currently taking classes 5 times a week and after 3 classes my joints are pretty achey.

Which joints? Joint pain is generally bad

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Many of my joints will ache on occasion. But if nothing's wrong with them, they stop aching.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

That second hand comes in hard almost like karate chopping the side of the neck. If the hands come up to defend then you can drag/sweep etc. The learning for me was not angling to expose the neck. The key was not rushing the second grip and instead focusing on driving the blade in hard first then opportunistically gripping anything.

Buddy of mine is the king of this and really judo chops the neck. It is... Forceful.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Xguard86 posted:

Buddy of mine is the king of this and really judo chops the neck. It is... Forceful.

No thanks, I think this is a total dick move to do in training.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So this is a continuation/update of the previous posts I had made about feeling frustrated about my own lack of progression. It's less anger/resentment at anyone else, and more being upset at my limitations/trying to understand what I need to improve as I've been utterly fixated on it for weeks amidst various spats of anxiety/neuroticism taking hold.

I had asked my coached specifically "what do I need to focus on to improve as I've been feeling unhappy with my performance/progression overall and want to get better."

My black belt coach replied (via a translation app): "To be honest, I think you are rushing. Other than that I don't think you have poor performance on your belt level. So please could you try to enjoy this rolling moment rather than be rushing? Remember your performance and play is not poor and be patient."

So my main curiosity (and I'm best asking him for clarification which I'm working on getting the correct Korean translation so there's no confusion on what I'm asking) is the bit about "you are rushing." To me it sounds like he's referring to belt chasing, which fine I'll accept that's something I should mentally focus on not fixating on, though it also feels like I'm possibly rushing for submissions/positions while sparring and that's what he's referring to.

I guess this is less of a "chatty" post and more of a externally talking aloud an inner dialogue I've been having and hopefully not sounding like I'm insane.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 19, 2019

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mekchu posted:

So this is a continuation/update of the previous posts I had made about feeling frustrated about my own lack of progression. It's less anger/resentment at anyone else, and more being upset at my limitations/trying to understand what I need to improve as I'm neurotic and have anxiety issues so I've been fixated on this stuff for a few weeks.

I had asked my coached specifically "what do I need to focus on to improve as I've been feeling unhappy with my performance/progression overall and want to get better."

My black belt coach replied (via a translation app): "To be honest, I think you are rushing. Other than that I don't think you have poor performance on your belt level.

So please could you try to enjoy this rolling moment rather than be rushing? Remember your performance and play is not poor and be patient."

So my main curiosity (and I'm best asking him for clarification which I'm working on getting the correct Korean translation so there's no confusion on what I'm asking) is the bit about "you are rushing."

I guess this is less of a "chatty" post and more of a externally talking aloud an inner dialogue I've been having and hopefully now sounding like I'm insane.

Your coach is politely saying shut up and train

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's probably what he's getting at, yeah.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

heeebrew posted:

No thanks, I think this is a total dick move to do in training.

it's a legit technique derived from the Judo Chop

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mekchu posted:

So this is a continuation/update of the previous posts I had made about feeling frustrated about my own lack of progression. It's less anger/resentment at anyone else, and more being upset at my limitations/trying to understand what I need to improve as I've been utterly fixated on it for weeks amidst various spats of anxiety/neuroticism taking hold.

My black belt coach replied (via a translation app): "To be honest, I think you are rushing. Other than that I don't think you have poor performance on your belt level. So please could you try to enjoy this rolling moment rather than be rushing? Remember your performance and play is not poor and be patient."

So my main curiosity (and I'm best asking him for clarification which I'm working on getting the correct Korean translation so there's no confusion on what I'm asking) is the bit about "you are rushing." To me it sounds like he's referring to belt chasing, which fine I'll accept that's something I should mentally focus on not fixating on, though it also feels like I'm possibly rushing for submissions/positions while sparring and that's what he's referring to.

I guess this is less of a "chatty" post and more of a externally talking aloud an inner dialogue I've been having and hopefully not sounding like I'm insane.

You just won a tournament! That is a clear signal that you are progressing, right?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mekchu posted:

Don't be frustrated that you're bad at mario party. Pick one minigame and work on it for a while. Then pick another minigame you suck at and work on that. Then choke out the people you're playing with.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHOAH NUFF posted:

You just won a tournament! That is a clear signal that you are progressing, right?

The majority of this stuff was starting back in November, which is when I asked my coach what I posted as well as when he replied. He then suggested I compete at this recent tournament which I did. This is still a nagging feeling as I looked at the lack of depths of the brackets and instantly thought "I didn't really earn this because I beat 2 people etc." so my medals have sort of a hollow meaning to me for some inexplicable reason. It's dumb and all but I just get into this mindset a lot for various things (work being an example non-bjj related).

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Don't be frustrated that you're bad at mario party. Pick one minigame and work on it for a while. Then pick another minigame you suck at and work on that. Then choke out the people you're playing with.

I have a Nintendo Switch. There's no cords to choke people with :smith:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

The majority of this stuff was starting back in November, which is when I asked my coach what I posted as well as when he replied. He then suggested I compete at this recent tournament which I did. This is still a nagging feeling as I looked at the lack of depths of the brackets and instantly thought "I didn't really earn this because I beat 2 people etc." so my medals have sort of a hollow meaning to me for some inexplicable reason. It's dumb and all but I just get into this mindset a lot for various things (work being an example non-bjj related).

this reads like depression

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Do you think you've improved in any way from 3 months ago? How about 6 months ago? If no, not sure what to tell you. If yes, just keep training because it's obviously working.

Maybe you're feeling frustrated because you're always rolling with the same people, and they're also improving, so you don't think you're getting anywhere because you're judging yourself relative to others instead of who you were earlier this year.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Which joints? Joint pain is generally bad

Mostly elbows. It’s not actual pain, more like discomfort, and it goes away after an hour or so. Like they’re sore or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mekchu posted:

:therapy:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Verisimilidude posted:

Mostly elbows. It’s not actual pain, more like discomfort, and it goes away after an hour or so. Like they’re sore or something.

There's a lot of possible ways to get sore elbows in BJJ, but my first guess is that you're death gripping too much and getting a little bit of tendinitis. Some options if that's the case:

1. switch some gi classes for no-gi
2. be more judicious with your gripping strategy
3. work out your finger extensors with:
3a. rubber bands, or
3b. a bucket full of sand or rice; open and close your hands in it
4. get a FlexBar

I am not a doctor, etc. If you want to do some research, read up on rock climbing and elbow pain; it's a very similar and well-studied problem.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Yuns posted:

...That second hand comes in hard almost like karate chopping the side of the neck...

Really interesting insight for cross collar. I'm imagining a similar finishing position relative to uke using a no-gi baseball choke being crunched up and hanging on the neck.

What is a staggered butterfly? I'm picturing a far side hook and then nearside foot sitting on the uke's hip.
I suppose different control could be had, touching hips, and getting the free leg around the back. Seems like a good chance to bail and go for the back/legs.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

Do you think you've improved in any way from 3 months ago? How about 6 months ago? If no, not sure what to tell you. If yes, just keep training because it's obviously working.

Maybe you're feeling frustrated because you're always rolling with the same people, and they're also improving, so you don't think you're getting anywhere because you're judging yourself relative to others instead of who you were earlier this year.

It's hard for me to gauge my own progress. I'd say the probable answer is yes. How much I can't really determine.

Marching Powder posted:

this reads like depression

Sadly mental health care is not easily found in South Korea. I have been speaking with friends who are mental health professionals on and off about this stuff and they've been helping it (mostly work related things). Anyway sorry for taking this stuff off track and bringing the mood down.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Cyber Sandwich posted:

What is a staggered butterfly? I'm picturing a far side hook and then nearside foot sitting on the uke's hip.
I suppose different control could be had, touching hips, and getting the free leg around the back. Seems like a good chance to bail and go for the back/legs.
Staggered butterfly is sitting up with one knee up and the other leg tucked under it

Mekchu posted:

Sadly mental health care is not easily found in South Korea. I have been speaking with friends who are mental health professionals on and off about this stuff and they've been helping it (mostly work related things). Anyway sorry for taking this stuff off track and bringing the mood down.
I'm not going to give any mental health advice because I know nothing about that and I basically never feel anxiety. But I do have a suggestion for training. Take a week or two and let go of the goal specific training temporarily. Instead of a goal, focus for a moment on the process. Just take that week and don't worry about results or success. Just go in there with the intent to roll fluidly and try new stuff or stuff that seems fun. Don't worry about "winning" or doing everything right. Just keep moving and then when you leave the academy no matter how you did, whether great or poor, leave that behind you and don't think about it.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 19, 2019

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Also not a mental health professional, but if work is poo poo I try to think about what I can do with the money I've earned to contribute to the things that I love. In your position, it would kill two birds with one stone to book a private lesson a every week / fortnight. Personal coaching will drastically improve any aspect that's focussed on, and hopefully seeing improvements in bjj would make work feel more purposeful.

Again, that's the way my brain works, just throwing stuff out there. I can definitely empathise with the less good times in life. Hope it works itself out soon. It usually does in my experience.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also :justpost:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yuns posted:

I'm not going to give any mental health advice because I know nothing about that and I basically never feel anxiety.

Yuns you should sell your blood products to Joe Rogan for mad $$$

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
10 years ago I did a few months of mma and quit; I always regretted it. A little over a year ago I finally acted on that regret and found a BJJ gym. Now I merely can't believe I waited so long but it's not a regret, it's just a bemused observation.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Jack B Nimble posted:

10 years ago I did a few months of mma and quit; I always regretted it. A little over a year ago I finally acted on that regret and found a BJJ gym. Now I merely can't believe I waited so long but it's not a regret, it's just a bemused observation.

Congrats!! I guess we're in the midst of promotion season!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Garts!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Congrats!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Hit a nice double leg on a brown belt today. Feels good. Tacos, you up for open mat on Sunday? Anyone else in SoCal want to join? Are we really the only two grapple goons out here?

Yeah Im down! There has to be more people than just us :(

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Way to go! Congrats!!!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Jack B Nimble posted:

:respek:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Congrats!

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

Congrats!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mekchu you can find therapists via Skype if you really need to talk to someone. I also live abroad and between language barrier and cultural issues I didn't want to go local for therapy. Tip: a Canadian or UK teletherapist will charge less than a US one. Also doing MBSR has helped me a lot and there are free trainings for that online.

I can't help with jiu jitsu because I'm garbage but I'm at least brown belt level in depressed expat jitsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Its good to see the thread tradition of belt mummies live and well. More power to yall who got/get promoted this year.