Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VitalSigns posted:

wait are you saying it was wrong for Republicans to try to #cancel Bill Clinton for sex crimes?

or are you saying it was wrong for Republicans to defend Kavanaugh

I don't think he's gonna answer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

VikingofRock posted:

What's this now? I haven't heard anything about this and I'm not seeing anything on a skim of the Wikipedia page.

Check out there work in Haiti. poo poo is wild.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/11/haiti-and-the-failed-promise-of-us-aid

Oh and the saudis of course and their work in Africa is real suspect.

Oh and straight up the clinton foundation is like every foundation in that it is used to launder money for those whose name grace it. Trump's foundation is nothing compared to it.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 19, 2019

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

you idiot fucker

You can do better. Not in a, like, “be a better person” way because you obviously can’t. But the least you can do is put a modicum of effort and creativity into these performative insults.

quote:

Yes, and the Republicans could be openly segregationist in the 60s. You're discussing events from over 20 years ago - and, even though it was wrong, the standards of the time were extremely different.

Point to the timeline where rape switches from acceptable to not, I’m curious.

quote:

Also, you don't get to use their marriage that way. You just don't.

Sorry, I’ll treat Hillary the same respectful understanding the thread gives Melania :lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

She really doesn't have anything better to do with her time than make up crap like this?

VitalSigns posted:

He says he was just joking and he apologized too

Are you saying that the tape by itself isn't disqualifying, and if Trump hadn't been accused of actually doing it then the tape would have been fine just kid stuff from a young kid of 50

I think there's a tremendous distinction between parroting the propaganda you've grown up with regarding the Armenian genocide and bragging about using your power to systemically sexually assault women over the course of your career up until that point. The thing is, though, it's not like there's an objective scale for this! Ultimately, if somebody wishes to support or reject a politician, they'll find a way to justify their past actions.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

He says he was just joking and he apologized too

Are you saying that the tape by itself isn't disqualifying, and if Trump hadn't been accused of actually doing it then the tape would have been fine just kid stuff from a young kid of 50

The difference is that Trump says offensive poo poo every day and is regularly sexist. Cenk was wrong about the Armenian thing, apologised and hasn't repeated it.

Trump was admitting to a crime. Saying "I regularly sexually assault women" is disqualifying. Theres a huge difference between that and what we're talking about and the false equivalency on your behalf is very disingenuous.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
loving Czenbk and primary chat all loving day gently caress

Edit:
FUCJ

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Great job No Fun Allowed police.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I can't believe 63 million people are going to die (have died) tonight, so crazy

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Holy poo poo, is this proceeding still going on? What, are they giving every dipshit a chance to complain about the Mega-Holocaust trump has to endure?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

oh my christ i want to set things on fire

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

TheDisreputableDog posted:

You can do better. Not in a, like, “be a better person” way because you obviously can’t. But the least you can do is put a modicum of effort and creativity into these performative insults.

Sorry, I’ll treat Hillary the same respectful understanding the thread gives Melania :lol:

So Kavanuagh is bad, then?

Because deflecting to Clinton (who is a rapist) doesn't mean Republicans should put a rapist to the nation's highest court for the rest of his life.

No, not that one, the other one.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

oh cool, at least now the GOP can go into 2020 being able to say they did something for their voters.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

So Kavanuagh is bad, then?

Because deflecting to Clinton (who is a rapist) doesn't mean Republicans should put a rapist to the nation's highest court for the rest of his life.

No, not that one, the other one.

No, he thinks Kavanaugh is innocent and was unfairly attacked

There once was a Justice named Beer
Who the Grey Lady wanted to smear
Republicans bad
Democrats mad
A shame VA Fairfax still here

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Holy poo poo, is this proceeding still going on? What, are they giving every dipshit a chance to complain about the Mega-Holocaust trump has to endure?

They have it set for 6 hours to debate articles one and two of impeachment; the 6 hours is extended a lot because of all of the parliamentary speak and passing minutes from the majority/minority leaders to their individual members. The republicans spent the first hunk of the day attempting to delay as much as possible with nonsense procedural motions, including doubling it to 12 hours of debate, which probably would have been ever so much more enlightening.

I wonder what terrible metaphors we were deprived of by the limited "debate." Truly, a loss for all of us.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dammerung posted:

I think there's a tremendous distinction between parroting the propaganda you've grown up with regarding the Armenian genocide and bragging about using your power to systemically sexually assault women over the course of your career up until that point. The thing is, though, it's not like there's an objective scale for this! Ultimately, if somebody wishes to support or reject a politician, they'll find a way to justify their past actions.

Oh I agree, I think the Armenian genocide denial isn't an issue, he was 20, he grew up with propaganda, and he learned.

I don't think that excuse flys for misogyny at 40 though

Nephthys posted:

The difference is that Trump says offensive poo poo every day and is regularly sexist. Cenk was wrong about the Armenian thing, apologised and hasn't repeated it.

Right, I think being wrong in a gross racist way at 20 is different from Cenk being regularly sexist at 40. I don't think you get to plead ignorance at 40. If you're still immature and sexist in your 40s maybe you're not legislator material

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1207442194531045376

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1207445068434591745

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/PPVSRB/status/1207438115457191942

for those keeping score, this was the "suicide attempt" that epstein claimed was an attempt on his life

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

VitalSigns posted:

Oh I agree, I think the Armenian genocide denial isn't an issue, he was 20, he grew up with propaganda, and he learned.

I don't think that excuse flys for misogyny at 40 though

Right, I think being wrong in a gross racist way at 20 is different from Cenk being regularly sexist at 40. I don't think you get to plead ignorance at 40. If you're still immature and sexist in your 40s maybe you're not legislator material

On this, I agree. There was no reason for him to make those misogynistic/transphobic "jokes" in a public setting, period. At the very least I hope he has made a serious apology for what he has done, and is promising to take proactive steps to improve the lives of those he smeared should he be elected to serve as a Congressperson.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cool, you're exposing intersectionalism and cancel culture for the bad faith, hypocritical partisan truncheon that it is.

I hope I never get whatever disease leads you to believe the things that you do.

The point is that many of the same people screaming for his head would instead just grumble and shrug if he were a pro-choice liberal, like some of the Cenk posts in the last few pages evidence.

I’d love to engage with this.....argument you made, with all of its intangibles. First though- Why don’t you tell us what you really think about abortion?

See, I personally wouldn’t “grumble and shrug” if this hypothetical liberal nominee wound up being a sex pest. I would want them immediately replaced with a non-sex pest alternative. Of which there would undoubtedly be many.

But also I can’t say that I view “supports abortion” and “opposes abortion” on equal, impartial footing either. In fact extrapolate that to any of the incredibly damaging and destructive political views and aims that somebody like :kav: brings to the Supreme Court. You ask us to equivocate between the two parties and only look at personal character but that doesn’t actually work if you care at all about policy or real-life effects.

Saying “you’d like him if he was a pro-choice liberal” is bad faith horseshit to me, because literally any pro choice liberal getting on the Supreme Court is going to be better for American women and the American people as a collective than any regressive Federalist society cretin.

Ramsay Bolton could be the loving nominee, and if his policy positions/judicial record were in line with the Justice Dems he’d be immeasurably better for the nation than an arch conservative with a spotless background.

But again, there are tons of liberal judges who aren’t rapists. Nobody has to go to the mat defending them in 2019, because the party has established a precedent of zero tolerance for that poo poo since FrankenWeiner. The only way your rhetorical trap works is if you set up this bizarro scenario where the only two available choices are Anti-choice non-rapist and Pro-choice rapist.

And then ok, in TDD’s fever swamp Topsy Turvy World of Only Two Noms I suppose I would have to choose a Pro-choice rapist to put on the bench rather than an anti-choice non-rapist, because I understand that policy directly impacts people’s lives and direct effects take importance over personal character. I guess you got me there.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 19, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I hope I never get whatever disease leads you to believe the things that you do.

Dude just pops in to try and plant a "whatabout" line every few pages and people fall for it every time. An incredible success rate.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Seriously I just don't know what I'll think or how to remotely process the growing mounting evidence that Epstein probably was in fact murdered and in a spectacularly incompetent manner.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
WHOOPS

https://twitter.com/francisbaconegg/status/1207455457964625920

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jesus Christ. A liberal version of Kavanaugh served two terms as President, was let off the hook for perjury related to sex crimes by his own party, and his biggest enabler won the democratic primary three years ago.

Deflect

Attack

Reverse Victim and Offender

Nicely illustrated, thank you for your opfor service.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Hey, my local nazi adjacent radio station! They just fired a host for having the audacity to say he supported impeachment.

Colorado is a weird place. Lots of socially progressive libertarians, business republicans, third way type Democrats, and the straight up loving Nazis.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

in a spectacularly incompetent manner.

that's how you know it's true

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Dude just pops in to try and plant a "whatabout" line every few pages and people fall for it every time. An incredible success rate.

Getting a couple of rounds in on the TDD speed bag is exponentially more interesting than literally anything else that’s been discussed today, the Day of Impeachment.

If you don’t think we genuinely enjoy going for these when he shows up then look at the ~10 pages of people screaming past each other about Cenk. TDD may be a fake gimmick, but so is the mechanical rabbit at a greyhound track.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you don’t think we genuinely enjoy going for these when he shows up then look at the ~10 pages of people screaming past each other about Cenk. TDD may be a fake gimmick, but so is the mechanical rabbit at a greyhound track.
You are way more hosed up and broken than he is if you actually enjoy “arguing” with one step above fartnoise.mp3

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

it honestly sucks poo poo that this is what a man in his 40s does for fun

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

And we say they can't be honest! Shame on us.

AmiYumi posted:

You are way more hosed up and broken than he is if you actually enjoy “arguing” with one step above fartnoise.mp3

I mean, farts do have a certain entertainment value of their own.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Democratic Senators are Tweeting Photos of the Giant Pile of 'Dead' House-Passed Bills on Mitch McConnell's Desk
newsweek.com/12/18/19
"The pile of more than 275 bipartisan bills that stymie on Senator Mitch McConnell's desk is photographed on December 18, 2019 in the U.S. Capitol."

Disparate group of Republican senators worry White House and GOP leaders ahead of impeachment trial
cnn.com/December 17, 2019
"Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer's high-profile push for witnesses to testify in the Senate's expected impeachment trial of President Donald Trump shifted attention and political pressure on Monday to a handful of Republican senators who have worked diligently to avoid the spotlight.

The disparate group's views on the trial are a concern to the White House and GOP leaders, who are worried some could break and vote with Democrats on key trial-related issues, sources tell CNN.

If four of them were to buck calls from GOP leaders for a short, witness-free trial, it could upend the process and create the kind of wild uncertainty Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says he has been carefully "coordinating" to avoid in ongoing talks with top White House officials."

No One in the Senate Is Going to Follow the Rules on Impeachment. Try This Instead.
slate.com/Dec 18, 2019
"Mitch McConnell is a nihilist who is impossible to hold to account. But John Roberts may yet be swayed."
'Lawyerly Democrats and principled Republicans have already expressed their outrage at McConnell’s decision to marry the Senate impeachment trial to the president’s tactical defense effort. A close reading of the special oath senators must take, as provided in the Constitution itself, underscores the right to outrage—Rule XXV of the Senate rules in impeachment trials states “I solemnly swear (or affirm) that in all things appertaining to the trial of ____, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, so help me God.” Yes, there it is, right there, in the rules. And therein lies the problem we seem to be having. Three years after Merrick Garland was denied a hearing and vote, we continue to believe that the norms, or even the rules mean anything. Yes, Senate “rules” suggest that senators should behave as unbiased jurors. But rules are not enforceable if nobody cares to enforce them, which is why McConnell has just announced that the Bill Clinton impeachment rules will not govern the Trump impeachment trial.'

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wants you to know that it’s not only women who get pregnant
pinknews.co.uk/December 17, 2019
"US Democrat Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has shown how simple it is to include trans people in conversations about pregnancy during a speech about maternity leave."

Appeals court says Obamacare individual mandate unconstitutional and sends law back to lower court
cnn.com/December 18, 2019
"A federal appeals court has found the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate unconstitutional but did not invalidate the entire law, which remains in effect.

The 2-1 decision by the 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals likely pushes any Supreme Court action on Obamacare until after the 2020 election but again thrusts the issue of health care into the forefront of the campaign -- and extends the uncertainty surrounding the future of the landmark law, long a political target for President Donald Trump and other Republicans."

Pro-impeachment protests swelled in cities across the country — but there’s still no real impeachment movement
vox.com/Dec 18, 2019
"Protest organizers said over 200,000 people attended an evening of national protest, but it isn’t clear whether this momentum will be built upon."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AmiYumi posted:

probably, but not broken enough to post links to my own tweets for validation

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Awhile back, some crazy judge in Texas threw out the individual mandate in Obamacare and then claimed that it invalidated the entire law. A federal appeals court reaffirmed that the mandate is unconstitutional but did not agree that the entire law had to be scrapped.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1207422008637710342

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Do we know what time the actual impeachment vote is scheduled for?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

VikingofRock posted:

Do we know what time the actual impeachment vote is scheduled for?

Right now, more or less.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Decorum tax:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Ershalim posted:

Right now, more or less.

drat, I should have checked C-Span before posting! Thanks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The balls not on this guy

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Roommates husband who’s on leave finally cornered me into a discussion about the “monkey show” with the impeachment. How do you discuss politics with someone who thinks trump did nothing wrong, Hillary deserves jail for Benghazi, the Kurds had to be abandoned, and that trump fixed the unemployment problems?

I get I don’t have much a chance because he’s white, highschool educated, male, and a marine, but how do you have a real discussion with these sorta dudes? I just sorta nodded and went “yeah good point, that’s really somethin” because I wanted to get back to my own business, but now he’s pretty happy now that he feels he’s won.

It’s all odd because he opened up this by saying “we should have a serious discussion about this (impeachment).”

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/b_schaffner/status/1207434126187470849?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, you might not be aware but I can now see reports, so rather than participate in slapfights, please report things and move on. I'll be a bit busy over the holidays, but I'll try to take a look at the reports at least once a day.