Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the bit where rey stabs kylo is AWFUL: https://old.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ecl76d/leias_death_rey_stabs_ben_and_heals_him/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow who would have thought that the sequel likers are toxic. Maybe you should chill out.

E: I’m stoked to get hella blazed before watching the new Star Wars, these spoilers are just way too funny

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wow who would have thought that the sequel likers are toxic. Maybe you should chill out.

I know you think acting like a chill guy who just happens to like incredibly bad things that everyone rightly hates makes you like you're owning and winning but you're actually just a poo poo head.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE SEQUELS ARE WORSE

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I always get a kick outta the 2 way radio prop in TPM being a lady razor.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MinisterSinister posted:

I don't think a character being "whiny" is necessarily a bad thing if it makes sense in the story. The problem is that Anakin wasn't given a good reason to be a whiny bitch with anger issues.

he's a former slave who was taken from his mother and inducted into a cult that constantly pushes that having emotions and attachments are bad and wrong

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amethyst posted:

the prequels do not have "unique visual imagery"

if that's true then the bold and the beautiful is also a visual marvel. You are a culturally limited dweeb if you believe there is anything creative about the visuals in the loving phantom menace. gently caress you.

lol, this is maybe a bit aggressive to act towards discussion about Star Wars, and movies in general.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

[Sad Beeping]

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Amethyst posted:

I know you think acting like a chill guy who just happens to like incredibly bad things that everyone rightly hates makes you like you're owning and winning but you're actually just a poo poo head.

They’re just movies dude

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MinisterSinister posted:

The problem is that Anakin wasn't given a good reason to be a whiny bitch with anger issues.

I've heard some bad prequel opinions in my time but this one is just ???

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

E: I’m stoked to get hella blazed before watching the new Star Wars, these spoilers are just way too funny

My parents were making noises about how we might go watch Episode 9 when I visit on Christmas. When my dad (who hates crowds) was dubious about it, I suggested Knives Out instead, but I'm seriously reconsidering at this point.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I said come in! posted:

lol, this is maybe a bit aggressive to act towards discussion about Star Wars, and movies in general.

You guys all post in the same mildly sarcastic register. It's boring. Try using a lot of swear words and insults some time I recommend it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Maybe the prequel fans are right...

Beeez
May 28, 2012

MinisterSinister posted:

I don't think a character being "whiny" is necessarily a bad thing if it makes sense in the story. The problem is that Anakin wasn't given a good reason to be a whiny bitch with anger issues. At least Kylo had the whole "betrayed by his trusted master" thing, stupid as it was.

Anakin was taken from his slave life with his slave mother and inducted into a monastic group that didn't like or trust him, being told all the while that he should forget about his mother or the woman he had a crush on, who were some of the only people whom had ever shown him kindness or respect.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

They’re just movies dude
Stop quoting me if you're just going to act as if knowing this makes you special.

Yes they're just movies. I still think you're really stupid for liking them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

Maybe the prequel fans are right...

:yeshaha:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Amethyst posted:

You guys all post in the same mildly sarcastic register. It's boring. Try using a lot of swear words and insults some time I recommend it.

Is it possible to learn this power?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This feels very weird.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Just so we are clear, I hate everything Star Wars but A New Hope and feel that is the only film in this cursed IP that should exist.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amethyst posted:

the prequels do not have "unique visual imagery"

if that's true then the bold and the beautiful is also a visual marvel. You are a culturally limited dweeb if you believe there is anything creative about the visuals in the loving phantom menace. gently caress you.

I'm trying to be fair and bridge the gap here. The pod racing bit was cool, and all the different pod racers were unique. I didn't even say I fuckin' liked it, I was clear that I largely don't.

This is the loving worst yet. Gee whiz, Obi-Wan, you coulda saved Qui-Gon. Anakin, you could have saved your dad! Why didn't you Force Heal, you fucks?!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why did Leia die here? Did Kylo stab her?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Just so we are clear, I hate everything Star Wars but A New Hope and feel that is the only film in this cursed IP that should exist.

I think the title "a new hope" is bad and still call it "Star Wars" but i'm not going to get mad if you want to call it "A new hope"

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Wasn't Force Healing a thing in Jedi Knight? I feel like it was.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Retconning the title of "Star Wars" was the very first sign of the rot that would consume the franchise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amethyst posted:

I think the title "a new hope" is bad and still call it "Star Wars" but i'm not going to get mad if you want to call it "A new hope"

It's easier to call it that for the sake of clarity I guess, but yeah, it's original name in my heart will always be just Star Wars.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Watch this video and see if you can spot the turn in Doug Chiang's language when he has to talk about the Disney-era starfighter designs

https://youtu.be/LPPLCkIhxt0

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I'm trying to be fair and bridge the gap here. The pod racing bit was cool, and all the different pod racers were unique. I didn't even say I fuckin' liked it, I was clear that I largely don't.

This is the loving worst yet. Gee whiz, Obi-Wan, you coulda saved Qui-Gon. Anakin, you could have saved your dad! Why didn't you Force Heal, you fucks?!

It wasn’t invented until Baby Yoda force healed Apollo Creed after a dragon scratched his arm in 8 ABY

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

It's legitimately funny that the only time kylo ever beats anyone is after Rey is completely trained

Also r2 killed Leia. He's the real mastermjnd

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Pollyanna posted:

This feels very weird.

the leaks made it sound like it'd be really quick. they'd be fighting, ren would hear leia, and be distracted and he'd get stabbed. almost like an accident. this is like...

ren hears leia as he's about to cut down rey
ren stops, lowers his saber, deactivates it and turns away
like twenty seconds pass
ren drops his saber, rey catches it and stabs him in the chest

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Amethyst posted:

Retconning the title of "Star Wars" was the very first sign of the rot that would consume the franchise.

No, it started with destroying a Death Star in the first movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Amethyst posted:

Stop quoting me if you're just going to act as if knowing this makes you special.

Yes they're just movies. I still think you're really stupid for liking them.

Ok! I’m just worried about you man.

Let’s all enjoy this poo poo show together :)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

So that's not Carrie Fisher right, it's a body double? Either way this is really really bad. The framing of all these scenes is meant to impart some significance or weight but all I'm seeing is some bored actors try to not embarrass themselves.

How does Disney (and Marvel) have so much money and not spend a dime on hiring a decent fight choreographer? The dudes from the Raid had a cameo in TFA ffs, hire them!

I said come in! posted:

Why did Leia die here? Did Kylo stab her?

She's old.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

mastershakeman posted:

It's legitimately funny that the only time kylo ever beats anyone is after Rey is completely trained

Rey gets less powerful the more training she has. She took "you must unlearn what you have learned" too literally.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i have never said anything sarcastic in my life, its part of why i like the prequels, theyre not afraid to be sincere

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Reminder iko uwais is in 3 movies this decade (raid, raid 2, night come for us) that are all significantly better than these star wars movies

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Palpatine cyberbullying the galaxy with a pirate radio broadcast is fuckin’ incredible and I can’t wait to see this dumb movie tomorrow night in glorious IMAX.

Gonna go see Parasite this weekend with the lady, too.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Reminder iko uwais is in 3 movies this decade (raid, raid 2, night come for us) that are all significantly better than these star wars movies

who

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

mastershakeman posted:

He was also in TFA!

Disney make a Raid movie on Coruscant, pretty please.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

cuntman.net posted:

i have never said anything sarcastic in my life, its part of why i like the prequels, theyre not afraid to be sincere

This is something that took me a long time to appreciate. Say what you will about them, and they sure are messy movies, but at least this was all George’s vision and he wasn’t afraid to swing for the fences. The new movies feel way more focus tested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

cuntman.net posted:

That's why the sequels should have been directed by the Wachowski sisters. I'd take half-hour long Force orgies in each movie if it'd meant we actually got the right amount of corny earnestness.